Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Anyone tried Sculptra?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Hittin40
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for answering. Did you mostly get it mostly in your cheeks? From what I have read it is not supposed to be used under the eyes, but apparently so Drs. DO use it there? My under eye area is really hollow. I'm really just thinking about hitting the facial exercises pretty hard to see if I can make some gains that way. One of the things that scares me about the sculptra is that is causes an immune response in your body which can be a bad thing. I'm meeting with my doctor on the 11th to get more info from him about it..
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I get it in my upper cheek below the corner of my eye and cheek area. I love it but hate the bruising. I had a vial Aug 3 and am having 2 in a week with a new injector so I'm hoping for less bruising. I had 3 vials about 4-5 yrs ago, loved it and 3 vials were enough for me even at 50. My face is smaller, thinner so I don't want more than 3 if possible. I hate the look on some of the soap stars - wayyyyy too much!! No bumps or anything but you have to do the 5 for 5. I also have autommiune issues but it's worth it for me!
Hittin40
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Deb, I have sent you a pm..
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Hittin40 wrote:
Thanks for answering. Did you mostly get it mostly in your cheeks? From what I have read it is not supposed to be used under the eyes, but apparently so Drs. DO use it there? My under eye area is really hollow. I'm really just thinking about hitting the facial exercises pretty hard to see if I can make some gains that way. One of the things that scares me about the sculptra is that is causes an immune response in your body which can be a bad thing. I'm meeting with my doctor on the 11th to get more info from him about it..

Mine was injected near the cheek bone and along the sides of my face from the temple to the ear lobe, close to the hair line.

If I recall correctly, Scupltra is not supposed to go in the under eye hollow. The skin is thin there and any bumps that may form will really show. I dont think I'd chance it. Another thing I've heard is that bigger cheeks can accentuate that eye hollow, so ask your doc about that.

There is a lot of Internet discussion on realself about the immune response. I know that a couple years back they changed the dilution instructions and it seems to have reduced the occurrence. Also it helps if the injector mixes it up in advance. Mine does it a week ahead of time (so no last minute appointments!).

Lets us know what you hear back from you appointment and what you decide.
Hittin40
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
thsnks. I will definitely let you know how the appointment goes.
Hittin40
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
[list]
anyone else have anything else to say about sculptra??? There is a lot of bad reviews out there on ther web. People experiencing side effects after its been in their face for over a year. Like one day everyhting is fine and then they wake up the next day they wake up wth lumps in their face
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:13 am      Reply with quote
maybe the massaging after is the key. They call it 5 for 5. You massage your face 5 times a day for 5 minutes for 5 days. I have never had any problems...
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I had 2 vials on Thursday. A lot less brusing with this injector - she was awesome. I could go out all weekend and use minimal coverup and it was so much better than any other time I've gotten it. I've never gotten 2 before at one time. I was stupid though and didn't sleep elevated the 2nd night and I had a lot of puffiness around my eye area which is slightly bruised. It's well hidden by coverup which I'm not the best at. I'm going to love it.
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I am coming into this discussion late, and you have most probably had it done by now... Okay, I admit to having it done!

The first time was over five years ago, administered by the doc I was seeing at that time. In its early days I understand it was used primarily in AIDS patients who suffer severe facial wasting. I admit I was excited at the prospect: I have always been too thin which was great when I was a young girl, but unfortunately the skin on bone look can be incredibly aging as one gets older.

I am guessing this was before they changed the dilution. despite looking as if I had lost a round to Rocky ( terrible bruising) it certainly softened my extreme angular features. It did feel a bit lumpy then, but I massaged like crazy (the 5-5 except I was massaging and kneading to soften the small bumps upwards of 10'times a day). As the months wore on (this is not an immediate fix) I was happy with the outcome, and yes the effect lasted well over a year maybe as long as two. There was no chipmunk effect, just a softer, less bony look.

Jump forward five years (and now spending away too much on fillers) last year I decided to try it again. Now here is why I think the dilution must have changed. My new injector (well respected, and an artist with this kind of stuff) informed me the rule of thumb is a syringe for every decade - in my fifties that amounts to big moola, so I began with two syringes initially, then another two a few months on. I was particularly concerned with the hollowing in my temples. This time the bruising was slight. HOWEVER, I was extremely disappointed with the results which were minimal at best - now I wonder if that was because the dilution changed?

Frankly, it was way too much expense given the outcome. My new guy topped it up without further charge as he too was surprised by my poor outcome - especially in my hollowed temples. I am a stickler for protocol and did the massage routine vigilantly each time. Despite this extra, still very weak outcome.

By the way, both dr's refused to stick it anywhere near my eye hollows, advising me that Sculptra is not indicated for this area.

Long story short, I have now turned to Voluma which is also meant to have a longer lasting effect, and one which is immediate. However, Voluma is also not placed in the eye area - I have used Belotero in that area and a weak juvederm, but the results only last a few months, dammit! Once again, I am somewhat satisfied with the outcome which is similar to the results achieved with the first round of Sculptra.

Really, unless you have tons of mad money, I think the chances of ending up with that puffy hollywood look is extremely unlikely - I can't imagine how many syringes of anything are need to create that extreme puffiness, and I am sure most of us haven't got the funds.

As a foot note, I am not sure facial exercise would be too beneficial:wouldn't this be counter productive to any existing fat in the face? However, since I do not do these I cannot say this with authority.

I do a shxxload of stuff at home too, needling, reaura, tca peels, etc. apparently it is fine doing these within a few weeks of injectables since most are injected deeply. It is my opinion that my most successful tool is my My m needler. I think I have seen some positive thickening of my skin which I attribute to this.

Good luck with your outcome.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I had 3 vials about 4 years ago. I had wanted to do maint each summer but it just never worked out. I was very happy with it.

Just had one vial in August and the 2 vials last Thursday. If I go by age, I need 6. Not gonna happen!!! I was happy with 3, I know I'm 5 years older but I just want a little more volume. Those ladies on GH look awful. I don't know what they are having done or using but they look too chipmucky to me!!! My face is thin to begin with so there is no way that I need to fillerup like people with fuller faces.

Nothing was changed in dilution from August to last Thursday so I know it was the injector. This dermatologist seemed to take more time and placement. She even drew on my face prior where she thought I needed it. I wonder why they told you that the mix had been changed?

What is your m needler?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:52 am      Reply with quote
The recommended dilution rate for Sculptra changed sometime around 2008/2009. I've been told that it shouldn't change the result, just that it makes it less likely to form nodules. They now put more sterile water in with the powder. But it does seem that if the vial size is the same with more water there would be less product...

I had vial #5 done last week (done over a 5 month period). I did bruise. Im seeing some plumping in the cheeks, but is sure is pricey.
Hittin40
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
ok..so I had the meeting with the Dr. and asked him about the sculptra. i first asked him if he had ever had a patient that had any kind of reaction or bad result. He said, there was "one lady' who got a 'bump' above her eyebrow. He then said that his patients have been very happy with the results. He said that i would probably need 4 vials total. He spaces the appointments 8 weeks apart as well. He charges $1500/2 vials. So I'm still sort of considering it, but thw. My actual appt isn't until January so i have some time to think about it. He did say that voluma was also good.$750 a syringe. I've had juve ultra plus, and radiesse before in nasal labial, and bottom of chin, butnothing really in the cheeks. I have started hitting flex effect every day, my goal there is to build the muscles to prevent..sagging....and I'm going to to a microneedle soon too, and pull out the STOP. I'm usually really good about "facial upkeep" Just sort of fell off the wagon for the last year and its starting to show..Ive been doing botox and fillers for 2.5 years now and I only do them twice a year.. They can get sooo expensive.
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Deb, it is the MY-M 12 Needles Derma Auto Microroller Motorized Skin Theraphy that I got on ebay with extra needles. I use it after applying a lidocaine cream for numbing.

I am waiting for people to start reviewing Owndoc's new motorized needler. I had her Dermajet which I liked, but it packed in after a few uses. But for now the My-M is fine.

Back to the bruising with Sculptra the first time (more than 6 years ago). Was terrible it was at least two weeks of purple green and yellow. However I bruise very easily indeed. I took all precautions (no aspirin, etc) and afterwards iced and took arnica, but aside from bringing down the swelling it didn't help bruising!

Get a good concealer, apply, powder, apply again!
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:45 am      Reply with quote
BillyBob, I also am very fair and bruise easily. I took all the precautions this time too, no aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil and I ate fresh pineapple for 2 days before and took arnica. I don't know, this derm really had a knack for injecting it. The prior derm I had been told by a former esty that she was "rough" and I totally believe it. This new derm that I saw said she may even try using a cannula to inject it next vist because she uses it for other fillers. I only really had the black eye because she put so much in my temple area and it swelled. I didn't sleep elevated the 2nd night and I think that's when it caused it to bruise more but overall this experience with the new derm was so much better.

The My-M. I had a Dermajet and it acted up. Scared the crap out of me with all the noise it made so I scrapped it. I didn't use it on my face because I was afraid of tearing the skin. Where do you use this on your face? I do have rollers, 1.5 and a 2 that I use maybe every other month.
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Deb, I got the My-M for about $55 on ebay. I agree with you on the Dermajet, I hope you got your money back. I seem to bleed less with the My-m. I tried the rollers, but manually pushing needles in my face was a nightmare, at least with the electronic needler you are just gliding over, and it's done much more quickly. Like you, I only use it occasionally, 1.5 on the lower part of my face, but only 0.25 on my forehead - no flesh there, it's a bloody mess if I try anything deeper.

Icing reduces the swelling, but I don't think it particularly helps the bruising.

I hear ya on the 'hiding' it. Trying to hide this stuff from the husband is difficult. It's amazing how creative you can become with your hair ( kept it flopping on the face! ), I usually wear contacts, but the glasses come out after these procedures which hide a lot of bruising too. And make- up, like you I am pale and thin skinned, have to slather it on the bruising and do the rest of the face to match, end up looking like a Texan realtor!

I keep a little stash of money aside each week, so I don't have to fess up the damage to the old man. He still thinks all the botox and fillers are costing me $300 every few months! Ha ha. That was the cost of my botox alone way back in 2005 when I started down thAt road, it's a killer.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:18 am      Reply with quote
BillyBob - oh how funny. I'm like you. Normally my hair goes back and up in a ponytail but nope, not right now, it's down and in my face which drives me nuts!. And I wear reading glasses only - but they've become full-time glasses right now for the black eye. I'm shocked no one here has said anything! But it does look a lot better and I've slopped on the concealer!!!!

And my husband, sheezz, I guess he really doesn't look at me closely because he's not said a thing!!! Oh, I have my little hidden envelope.........and I keep the checkbook too!!! I keep telling him I'm getting a facelift someday. He says "no way, he's not walking around with Joan Rivers" I always tell him that you don't ever have to go that far, just subtle I tell him. He's a turd. Has no clue about the botox or sculptra (which is ok by me!)
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Yep, using a cannula will cut down the bruising - big time. You can speed up recovery after 24 hours of icing by applying heat to the bruise. My favourite way is to use an empty vitamin pill container or lotion container (best as the plastic is flatter and will conform to your contours). Fill with quite warm water, cover with a sock and put it on the bruise for 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. You can usually microwave these to reheat. You can take it to bed, too, for a noticeable improvement by morning.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
When I got my botox a few weeks ago, my injector, a nurse, mentioned that she'd had Sculptra done several years ago. She said she prefers the results, compared to Voluma which is for people who want instant results. I wonder if the price is the same. Didn't ask. I would prefer slow results because people wouldn't suspect you'd done anything.

I have Hashimoto's and Sjogren's, two autoimmune diseases, so it worries me that Sculptra might aggravate them.
YLC

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

i would like to share my personal opinion on sculptura. I had 4 vials in 3 treatment over the past year and the result is just amazing and very natural. I found the best doctor in town to do it , although it's pricier than usual but i think it's totally worth it.

I used have have very deep smile lines and my forehead was rather uneven. Now, my smile lines are pretty gone and not visible when i smile in a very natural way and my forehead is now even. Skin condition is much better than a year ago too. Please note that it really takes time for Sculptra to develop and result will be shown very gradually ...

For those who's considering to do sculptura out there, please make sure you find yourself a very good and experienced doctor.

I also message quite a lot during the first week after the treatment...i think it might help the Sculptra to sit in properly...

Good luck everyone!!!
Dir2015

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:28 am      Reply with quote
YLC wrote:
Hi all,

i would like to share my personal opinion on sculptura. I had 4 vials in 3 treatment over the past year and the result is just amazing and very natural. I found the best doctor in town to do it , although it's pricier than usual but i think it's totally worth it.

I used have have very deep smile lines and my forehead was rather uneven. Now, my smile lines are pretty gone and not visible when i smile in a very natural way and my forehead is now even. Skin condition is much better than a year ago too. Please note that it really takes time for Sculptra to develop and result will be shown very gradually ...

For those who's considering to do sculptura out there, please make sure you find yourself a very good and experienced doctor.

I also message quite a lot during the first week after the treatment...i think it might help the Sculptra to sit in properly...

Good luck everyone!!!

Hi YLC, Thank you for sharing the info. Do you have before and after pictures? Could you PM and share them with me? Which areas did you have the Sculptra. My main concern is my sagging cheeks and I am trying to find good doctors who can help me lifting the cheeks. Where did have the Sculptra done? How did you find the doctor? Did you do consultation with a couple of doctors and then decide on the one you had the procedure done?
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Any updates on Sculptra results? Did the doc or you take before and after pics?
AlanMGriffith

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm interested too. Please share your photos
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Bumping this thread up...

This morning I got two injections, cheek area. I've lost a lot of weight recently (moved houses, carried two mortgages for awhile, and other major stress going on). Which has caused gauntness in my face plus aging. So I went for my yearly check up from Rhinoplasty and he suggested I try Sculptra. (My nose looks great, the gauntness, ugh.) Anyway, he does it in three stages, so this is the first round. Already my face looks so much better! Smile Guess we'll see long term how it goes.

5% products discount

Tue May 10, 2016 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Botox has been used successfully to cure the square asian jaw,to make it more oval....
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2016 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Had my first session mid-December, second six weeks later and third end of March. My nurse wants me to return the end of this month to see if I need more. It cost $750 each time but with points earned one session was only $700. I really can't afford more now so am hoping I can just top up later in the year if I want more. I do see subtle changes which might increase in the next couple of weeks.

She used a microcannula injecting under my prominent cheekbones, in front of my jaw muscle by my earlobe (not sure how to describe) because I said I wanted wider jaw, and by corners of mouth and below lower lip to fill out area above chin.

However it is very important to massage as told! I even set a timer the first couple of days. She had injected into one marionette line which she hadn't done before and I forgot about it and didn't massage that one spot enough so got a hard lump. Fortunately it is hidden in the smile line at the corner of my mouth. Feels like an imbedded grain of rice.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |