Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Creme de la Mer: Still a fave?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
This cream still seems to be raved about quite a bit in Hollywood but not as much as it used to be. Has anyone here tried it and found it to be any good? Just wondering because I just ordered a sample off ebay to see what all the hype was about? Any thoughts on La Mer?
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I used Creme de la Mer for about 10 years in my late thirties and almost all through my forties. I found it to be very moisturizing and my skin received many compliments. I am now 51 and have found that for me it does not address some of the concerns for aging skin ~ discolorations, broken capillaries, etc.
It did help with wrinkles and plumping the skin.
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I think Creme de la Mer is a great product.

In my experience, CdlM really does reduce redness, irritation and inflammation...and inflammation causes many signs of aging, such as collagen and elastin degradation. In that respect, CdlM does more than just moisturize, although it certainly does moisturize very well and moisturized skin is less likely to develop deep acne cysts and surface wrinkling---in my opinion and experience.

In addition to seaweed and other natural ingredients, CdlM also contains lanolin, which in a recent clinical study was shown to actually increase collagen production in human skin.

I also believe in the benefits of biofermentation, in a number of natural products, such as in food items, and including CdlM. Biofermentation causes chemical changes in some natural substances, and that change can be very beneficial...so in that respect, CdlM is more interesting to me than many other products.

Lastly, I think it is the ORIGINAL CdlM that works so well, not the newer lotions, serums and gels. My understanding is that Estee Lauder bought Max Huber's rights to/recipe for CdlM under a contractual stipulation that CdlM must be prepared exactly according to Huber's original methods. Not so for any other products in the La Mer line, however. I don't trust Estee Lauder to make the costly effort to produce all La Mer products as CdlM is made, so I do stick to the original creme.

Also, in order to get good results with CdlM, it is IMPERATIVE to warm a small amount of the product one the finger's until it liquifies before applying to the skin. Do not apply the CdlM when it is still white, nor should you apply too much CdlM. Both failures will adversely affect the skin, in my experience. My best guess is that this warming technique breaks down the lanolin, thus preventing the lanolin from clogging pores and also expediting its penetration into the skin.

CdlM often gets a bad rap, but honestly, I think it is a VERY good product indeed.
As well, the tinted moisturizer is TOPS, but I mention that in regard to it's cosmetic usage, and not for it's benefit to the skin.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
MBGirl Thanks for sharing your opinon of Creme de la Mer. I have used this before but I didn't really get the results I was seeking because I had many problems with my skin which needed to be addressed with Retin A. However based on your review it would seem that if your skin is in reasonable shape the La Mer would act as a good maintaince product. I would consider buying this again at some point as I think it would be good to have on hand in the winter for example.

One thing though, the woman who is the main la Mer Rep in my local department store and swears she uses only Creme de la Mer used to about 4 years ago have the most sublime skin however last time I saw her her skin look just awful and badly lined (I am guessing she is only in her mid 30's). Of course I guess I have no way of knowing what other factors may be affecting her skin.
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 am      Reply with quote
MBGirl, thanks for the thorough post on CDLM. There is so much written about it being over-hyped and overrated that to read a positive post about it is surprising. I have never tried it but will keep it in mind.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I was going to try this cream but there was so much negative feedback that I thought it is just pricey vesaline. I am also pleased to see some positive feed back. My skin is very dry so this might be a product for me!
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you ladies for the posts. I can't wait to receive my sample from ebay. It could just be the thing I've been looking for! I'm glad I know now that I have to warm the product first before I use it!
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
i think it's good to sensitive skin, but to aged skin, no use.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that is a great moisturizer, soothes inflammation and redness well and the skin is plumped and feels healthy. I did use it for a couple of years with good results. However, in my opinion it is not an anti-aging product. As the years went by, I needed more from my moisturizer than La Mer could provide.

And definitely, less is more with this cream. Too much and there will be breakouts and clogged pores. You only need a very tiny amount warmed on the fingers before application.
bunnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
i used the la Mer gel cream. pretty good and i guess its more for younger skin. i heard that the original la mer cream maybe a bit heavy and more catered for mature skin.
yauzit
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:48 am      Reply with quote
I bought this cream out of desperation - my skin was so dull and discolored. Well, this product did little to help me. It made me so greasy! And it smells like "old lady cream." I used it for about 2 weeks and noticed nothing exciting and then it made me break out! Luckily, La Mer accepts returns! Hooray!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:19 am      Reply with quote
I usually steal some of this stuff from my mom for use in the winter when my skin is too dry and nothing else (except maybe Vaseline or Crisco) can save me. It is indeed extremely thick and you only need a tiny amount. Unlike other creams, you cannot 'rub' it over your face, but more like 'pat' it on after warming between your fingers. When I first tried using this product I didn't believe in the less is more strategy and 'slathered' the stuff far too generously, and I broke out so badly that it took months to re-normalize my skin. Crying or Very sad

Besides being a great moisturizer, I really can't attest to its 'antiaging' benefits as I don't (yet) have much that needs correction Pray . My mom swears by CdlM and has used it religiously for about 10 years. However, I haven't really noticed a difference on her face either Neutral
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:14 am      Reply with quote
I don't think you can see any miracle, it is just a moisture cream good at renovation. If you are sensitive skin, I think you will like it.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:58 am      Reply with quote
CDLM is a great moisturizer if you have very dry skin. At the same time, it does soothe irritations and sensitivities. I have repurchased this product about 4 times and would never be without it. I don't us it everyday, but I have such sensitive skin that when my face gets a little out of hand from using too many irritating products, or I get extremely dry from too many cold winter days, CDLM is my first aid remedy to moisturize, soothe and plump up my skin.
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
helenzwl wrote:
I don't think you can see any miracle, it is just a moisture cream good at renovation. If you are sensitive skin, I think you will like it.

Agree. La Mer is good at moisturizing but it is not anti-aging.

If you just want a good moisturizing cream,are not afraid of oil, don't pursue anti-aging effect, and have enough money, buy it.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I also used it and found it to be moisturizing but it did not seem to do anything for firming and lines. I agree a little goes a long way but found it a bit tedious to apply. I did not like the shiny finish during the day. I think there are better creams for that kind of money.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:28 am      Reply with quote
too expensive, can get diff products for that price!!! overhyped and marketing hype
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
still love it after our 5 years romance Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Any one still using it,in 2013?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Went thru an jar and will not repurchase. I found that Aquaphor did just as much for when needing something heavy. It does nothing for skin tones and fine lines, mainly just hydration. It also made me break out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I went thru a whole regimen of cleanser, toner, and soft lotion. I loved the soft lotion but personally CDM should reduce their prices. Its too expensive for what you get. Expensive skin care is not necessarily better.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still using it!! Close to 10 years now and I wouldn't be without it. I have never found a moisturizer that could replace CDLM. It is unique.
okies
5% products discount

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think it is so magic, not worth the price! You could not find any lifting or firming, only moisturing.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Yes for hydration, it is good. Just overpriced. If i could justify the price for that alone but I need other considerations such as fine lines, plumping, even tone, etc. to make it worth that for me.
I have tried their cleanser and it was nice but I prefer Purpose face wash for its gentle cleansing.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |