Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Without Makeup
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Do boys/men prefer women with their natural beauty....i.e. without makeup? or at least very very minimal.

Iv heard and even been told by a few they personally prefer without makeup..

Do you think this is true?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:49 am      Reply with quote
No. I think what men think is 'without makeup' is really with makeup.

They know nothing about these things, ya know...
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I spent years enamored of a guy friend of mine who always said he preferred women without makeup. I was never a big makeup wearer, especially then -- just a spot of natural eye shadow and a hint of mascara to make me look more awake, plus a smidge of concealer if I had a blemish.

One morning we got together for brunch and I was running late so I skipped makeup. And he wouldn't shut up about how TIRED I looked -- like hell he preferred women without makeup! Laughing He just didn't realize I'd been wearing it all along. (Also, he was kind of an ass, and I was a real idiot to chase him around for as long as I did, and I was even more of an idiot to in any way alter my appearance to try and get him to dig me!)

My current boyfriend (who's a keeper) said that he thinks most women look better without makeup, but that I look better with it on, because I apply it well. (He then freaked out and backtracked because he thought I'd be upset, haha, but I knew he meant it as a compliment!)

Basically, I think women who apply makeup *well* look better, and like violetanne said, most men can't tell the difference. The men who say they prefer women without makeup are usually talking about women who apply obvious, clown-like makeup -- bright blush spots on the cheeks, drawn-on eyebrows, and cakey foundation. Ya know? I think most makeup-savvy girls use a lighter touch and just enhance their natural looks, and guys aren't the wiser and think those gals are makeup-free when in fact they're just makeup-savvy. Just my $0.02.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:44 am      Reply with quote
My husband has always preferred a very natural look. When I wear blush, mascara, tinted moisturizer he has no idea I have makeup on. Laughing It is all in the application ladies. Smile From my experience over the years most men do not like heavy makeup (pancake type). My DH absolutely hates colored shadows on me.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I spent years enamored of a guy friend of mine who always said he preferred women without makeup. I was never a big makeup wearer, especially then -- just a spot of natural eye shadow and a hint of mascara to make me look more awake, plus a smidge of concealer if I had a blemish.

One morning we got together for brunch and I was running late so I skipped makeup. And he wouldn't shut up about how TIRED I looked -- like hell he preferred women without makeup! Laughing He just didn't realize I'd been wearing it all along. (Also, he was kind of an ass, and I was a real idiot to chase him around for as long as I did, and I was even more of an idiot to in any way alter my appearance to try and get him to dig me!)

Ginnie

I had an experience like yours, back when I was in my late 20's. I involved with a man who was definitely against make up, at least in principle. Because we lived together, he knew that I wore some, and used to say he didn't know why I bothered, because he thought I was so pretty.

One weekend we went for an overnight trip out of state to attend a relative's wedding. To my chagrin, I realized the next morning that I had forgotten to pack my cosmetic bag. I asked if we could leave early and stop by a drug store on the way so that I could at least buy a few things to try to fix myself up. He insisted I didn't really need it, but then, once we were in the car, he looked at my bare face -- in the glaring light of day -- and said, "You know, you really DO look better with make up!" Rolling Eyes

-Cathy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Aw, that's awful! These men, they don't know what they're talking about! Women know how women look best, and it's unfortunate that a few really obvious women apply it terribly and look really obvious, but that's not the majority of us.

I also have a *different* ex (this one I actually dated) who got on my case about not wearing ENOUGH makeup and not looking nice enough. Boo to men who are mean about such comments!

My keeper BF now thinks I'm pretty, makeup or no makeup, and makes a point of telling me so, which I find refreshing after my lineup of jerk ex-boyfriends. And he's always patient when I want to doll up and never cares if I go scrubby sometimes. This probably wouldn't be such a big deal if I hadn't dated several guys who were so lame about all appearance-related things -- but I really treasure my BF's sweet, compliment-happy, easygoing-about-makeup demeanor after some o' them losers.

I also grew up in a kinda hippie community, where I'd say it was sort of discouraged to be into makeup or overly into your looks. And then I went to an all-female college where the culture was also sort of anti-primp.

And I have to say, that stuck with me for a long time -- I felt kinda guilty dolling up, or indulging in skincare and whatnot. And only recently have I learned to shed that weird hippie guilt, and celebrate what I love -- makeup and skincare and hair care and beauty. And I hate to say it, but I just think I look better than the totally bare-faced hippies I grew up with and the drab gals I went to college with! Laughing At least for me, I know a little makeup makes me feel confident and polished, and I'm in a phase now where I'm very much embracing that, and not inclined to be held back by anyone who sees differently.

And I'm sure ALL of us are gorgeous, makeup or not. But if we do wear makeup, there's a reason we do, right? We like the way it feels to have our best natural features enhanced, and we know it looks good so we feel good. Some people would feel better not wearing makeup, and if that's what makes them feel good, they should go with it, no matter what beauty mags and boyfriends tell them. Now I'm going all Oprah on us, but I really feel strongly about this after having been made to feel bad for being the particular brand of girly that I am. Everyone should get to do what makes them feel happy and comfortable, and screw what the rest of the world thinks!

(Hahahahaha there's my passionate justification for spending $200 on a Clarisonic, how's that?!)

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that in general what looks bad on women is badly or heavily applied make up and for the most part the natural look is best although I think that well done smokey eyes look fantastic for a night out!

As for me I hardly ever wear any make up maybe once or twice a year. I really can't bare the way foundation and concealer looks on my skin and I have a real problem getting a good match as my skin tone is rather unique. More than once has a cosmetic sales woman had to send me away because she had nothing to suit my ghostly sallow skin (sounds like a contradiction but it's true Confused ). But in general I guess I do look better with a little light make up but I am pretty focused on getting my skin as good as possible at the moment and then I will try to find a make up look that suits me.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yes- men definately do not know what they are talking about! I wish I could go with out wearing a stitch of makeup, but when I do, everyone asks if I'm feeling ok! My eyes look really tired with out eyeliner and mascara and so I always make sure I have atleast that on!

I'm so envious of women who can go out looking gorgeous with out anything on.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Pandora, this is a tiny bit off-topic, but I think you might want to check out Everyday Minerals' Intensive Light concealer. It's very fair but yellow-based, and it might be just the shade you're after. I think you can order samples for pretty cheap, too.

OK, back to "Without Makeup", sorry!

pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Hey Pandora, this is a tiny bit off-topic, but I think you might want to check out Everyday Minerals' Intensive Light concealer. It's very fair but yellow-based, and it might be just the shade you're after. I think you can order samples for pretty cheap, too.

OK, back to "Without Makeup", sorry!

Thanks ginnielizz I will definitely check this out! I tried some mineral make up before but wasn't very good at applying it, although I was probably using the wrong brushes and method. Perhaps I could find a make up artist experianced with this to give me a lesson at some point.

Anyway back to topic, I often admire the skin of women with very even, velvety smooth skin. I always thought it was just luck and good genes but have been advised since on this board that it is most likely clever use of primers and make up that achieves this supernatural perfection.

I think it is the same with cosmetic surgery the most subtle, less dramatic work always looks best.
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I know that most men that I dated definitely preferred that I not wear lipstick/gloss. Think about it...would you want to kiss him if his lips were covered in a gummy, gooey substance???!!! Laughing Laughing
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hehehe, yeah, lip stuff is the one thing my sweetie can't tolerate. I started switching to stains so he wouldn't refuse to kiss me when I'm all dolled up! Laughing

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Haha, this thread is hilarious! I agree that men only THINK they prefer you without makeup; those that object are only stating their preference for a less caky, madeup look and a tendency for a more natural appearance.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
soo many strong opinions on this.....im not the only one that thinks a girls needs makeup Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
When I was in college my boyfriend strongly preferred that I not wear lipstick. Later I realized he was concerned there be no evidence on his clothing to alert his *other* girlfriend. I was so definitely better off without him... Very Happy
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Some women carry the makeup too far. A friend told me this story - she went to a festival with another woman and they shared a room for a few nights. The other woman would get up at 5:30 in the morning to make sure that she had her makeup on before anyone saw her. (I gather at home she would go to bed with makeup, then when her boyfriend fell asleep she would get up and take it off, only to get up really early to put it on again before he awoke!). CRAZY!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Smoky1 wrote:
Some women carry the makeup too far. A friend told me this story - she went to a festival with another woman and they shared a room for a few nights. The other woman would get up at 5:30 in the morning to make sure that she had her makeup on before anyone saw her. (I gather at home she would go to bed with makeup, then when her boyfriend fell asleep she would get up and take it off, only to get up really early to put it on again before he awoke!). CRAZY!

Oh, it's really sad that she's not more comfortable with her appearance than this!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I think it has to do with stereotyping as well. Men like the natural look, but when you look at the 'adult' movies, it seems that an OTT face seems to be paralel with, uhm...physical freedom Shock

And yes, there are some weird men in this world Brick wall. I can relate with some of the remarks in this forum. One of my male friends really wanted me to do 'smokey eyes' all the time, but when I asked him which kind of girls he thought looked good, they were caked with makeup. Not really my kind of look (and not really my kind of man).

My current BF is really a sweetheart. If my skin is really sensitive, he discourages me to wear makeup in order to let my skin re-adjust (even if I wear mineral makeup, but in his eyes makeup is chemical stuff)
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
It's about good grooming, I think.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:31 am      Reply with quote
I think most men prefer a more natural look. And a lot equate heavy makeup with high maintenance! I don't wear a great deal of makeup, but I always wear mascara, blush and lipstick when I go out to meet friends or somewhere special, but not if I am simply going for a walk or shopping.

Not one single man I have gone out with has ever commented either positively or negatively on my makeup, or lack of it. On the other hand, I've had the occasional bitchy comment from women. As many men have hit on me when I am without makeup and wearing nothing but jeans, as when I am made up and dressed up.

To a certain extent it depends on your colouring whether you look good or not without makeup. I have dark hair, dark eyebrows and eyelashes, so there is some definition to my features without makeup, but I have a couple of friends who are very fair and do look washed out without some eye makeup. Just the luck of the draw. One of my friends tints her eyelashes and eyebrows and it makes a huge difference. She works outdoors and has an early start, so doesn't want to have to bother with makeup.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Smoky1 wrote:

This post reminded me of me when I was dating my northwest outdoorsman, although I didn't carry things THAT far Laughing Went on a camping trip with him for a few days while he took me to some of his favorite spots to gather gourmet mushrooms and truffles. We had been dating for about 6 months and while I was comfortable with myself around him, I still kept my little "guerilla makeup kit" in my backpack. Once I woke up, I'd wash my face, brush my teeth, pat my face with a little powder, blush, very light eyeshadow and mascara. Very natural look that just made me feel better about my appearance and he didn't even notice it; As a matter of fact, he praised me for being so low maintenance and looking so great after rolling out of my sleeping bag and pulling my hair back into a ponytail. I accepted his complements as my due...

The last day we were out there, I slept in late so didn't get the chance to apply my natural looking makeup before he woke up. It took him a couple cups of coffee to ask me if I was feeling OK, because I looked a little "tired" Laughing He wasn't being mean or snide, he was just expressing concern about my well-being, you know what I mean?

The moral of the story? Men really don't know much about these things - [at least most men don't! Smile] and when they say they prefer you without makeup, they really mean they prefer understated makeup...

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:

This post reminded me of me when I was dating my northwest outdoorsman, although I didn't carry things THAT far Laughing Went on a camping trip with him for a few days while he took me to some of his favorite spots to gather gourmet mushrooms and truffles. We had been dating for about 6 months and while I was comfortable with myself around him, I still kept my little "guerilla makeup kit" in my backpack. Once I woke up, I'd wash my face, brush my teeth, pat my face with a little powder, blush, very light eyeshadow and mascara. Very natural look that just made me feel better about my appearance and he didn't even notice it; As a matter of fact, he praised me for being so low maintenance and looking so great after rolling out of my sleeping bag and pulling my hair back into a ponytail. I accepted his complements as my due...

The last day we were out there, I slept in late so didn't get the chance to apply my natural looking makeup before he woke up. It took him a couple cups of coffee to ask me if I was feeling OK, because I looked a little "tired" Laughing He wasn't being mean or snide, he was just expressing concern about my well-being, you know what I mean?

The moral of the story? Men really don't know much about these things - [at least most men don't! Smile] and when they say they prefer you without makeup, they really mean they prefer understated makeup...

Haha, EXACTLY. They don't mean any harm, they just don't get it. I've never met a guy who truly preferred my unadorned face to my slightly embellished face -- but usually they *think* they don't know the difference! Laughing

Happycat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:08 am      Reply with quote
I think that depends on the skin condition, girl with clear complexion with very light make-up should be very refreshing.
Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
I think that if you have so much make up on that your boy can't recognise you when you take it off, or is surprised at the difference, then you're in a bit of trouble.

Also, although it's been a looooong time since I have been single, I have to say that I remember the stress of (1) not getting makeup on my date when kissing or canoodling, (2) hoping that my face hasn't melted or shifted if I stayed over or spent a loong time with my date ...

So for my money, I would say go for less makeup rather than more and makeup to suit the occasion. So sure, razzle dazzle yourself up if your going to a ball or a gala dinner etc .. but maybe go for a naturally enhanced look when going for coffee or a walk in the park ...

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |