Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi - importance of completing the 18 weeks?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I read a post on an Obagi review thread about the importance of sticking it out for the whole 18 weeks which got me thinking...

I am one of those who didn't complete the full 18 weeks. I had committed myself to do the full course but couldn't figure out why I should keep going. The redness and peeling bothered me some but that wasn't the reason I quit. Mainly, I found the cleanser and toner too drying and had already gotten extremely pale due to the hydroquinone products and probably more importantly the use of sunscreen. I still want to make improvements on the texture of my skin so I'm continuing with the Retin-A and use of AHA products (will use Exfoderm some but am also using other AHA products). I may also use the Clear to spot treat a few dark spots that remain but I'm not sure yet. I will of course continue to use sunscreen.

Anyway, my question is - is there any reason to continue the whole protocol if I don't need the whitening effects of the hydroquinone products and the cleanser and toner dry me out so much? Skin texture (fine lines and enlarged pores) is the main thing I'm wanting to improve and if the other products help that in some way I don't understand then maybe it's not too late for me to "get back on the horse". I stopped the system as a whole several days ago after completing around 9 weeks although I have still been using Retin-A since that seems to be the main product that addresses lines and texture. Any input would be appreciated.

5% products discount

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Excellent question. I used Obagi many years ago and stopped because of the dryness it caused. I do however think that for oily, tough skin, Obagi may give great results. I can't wait to hear what the experts have to say to your question.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
This is from the review forum not my post but it says it all:

jackiet_mcc

Hi all:

I have been using obagi periodically since about 2000. I went to a plastic surgeon back in the early '90s and they started me with dermabrasion and glycolic peels. I had great results. (mild to moderate discoloration and uneven skin tone was my problem.) AFter 4 months, my skin was flawless. Unfortunately you have to continue with these products, as least occasionly to keep up the results.
Then next time I went to the doctor, I got another round of peels, but they weren't as successful as the first. Still I looked better then before. Then in the early 2000s I went back, and that's when they introduced me to Obagi. The esthetician said that it was a commitment, and that everyone coulnd't do it. She said it was very difficult to go throuhg and that she had gone throuhg it herself. I opted to try it.
I experienced all of the things you all have experienced. Very try, a little breaking out (I don't have acne), peeling and redness. But I have to say to all of you who are afraid of the product or who use the product half-heartedly...there really is nothing out there that works like this product. It stands to reason that anything that requires a doctor's care is working at a level beyond the cosmetics we get from Sephora. This stuff works at a cellular level. I changes your skin. When I finish a regime of Obagi, my skin is flawless. I am african american, and I can pinch my cheeks and get a flush. I fact, I often do that instead of wearing blush. But you have to commit to the program. All of this talk I've heard about 6 weeks is not what the program is. I think anyone who starts Obagi should at least initially see a doctor and get the products from them so that you know how to use it for you. Everyone's skin is different, and you are getting and will continue to get conflicting information frm all of the users on this forum. Because you all have different skin, and you will have different experiences.
I will use the product for no less then 18 weeks. It takes at least that long to get the full benefits. AFter that you go on a maintenance routine which requires you to use the action products weekly but not daily, again according to the regime outlined by your doctor. Then every few months you do the program for maybe 4 weeks, although I'm not sure about those timeframes.

Obagi will resurface your skin, and will have a positive effect at the cellular leve. It'll thicken the dermis, and it will excelerate cell turnover. It is an amazing product that will give you clear, glowing skin like a baby's but. I can't see how anyone could think that wasn't worth a little dryness and discomfort. Instead of having these marks (from a tca peel) on my face for another year as was suggested by my dermatologist, they'll be gone within 4 months with Obagi.
I hope all of you will, as I call it, go through the uglies to get to the other side. I can't say enough about this product.
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
That is actually the post I read that prompted me to post my question. Smile

When I started Obagi I figured there were going to be difficult times but I promised myself I wouldn't give up due to redness or peeling. I knew it was part of the process which led to a (hopefully) happy outcome. However, now I'm at the point that I'm not sure exactly why I'm using all these products that make me dry and red. In other words, what am I gaining by using cleanser and toner that make me dry? What am I gaining by continuing to use hydroquinone products when I'm already ghostly white? I see the point of the Retin-A and Exfoderm (or other AHA product) to help with skin resurfacing but I don't see why I couldn't continue using that with more gentle cleansers and no hydroquinone. But I am willing to listen to counsel and if using the whole Obagi system will help me more with my skin texture that Retin-A/AHA products alone then I will certainly continue.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Its a whole system that works together. I know that some will say you can mix/match (I was one also) but I can honestly say that sticking with the whole system is the key. At the end of my time I will switch to the maintenance which for my age (49) will be the C line and use the Retional 1-2 times per week. Everyday people that see me everyday at work say what great skin I have. It was not bad before but it is even toned etc. After years and $$$$ looking for something I think this is it.My Derm knows that I will restock online because of $$ and as I run out of product I will switch over to the C. I did call them today because I have had no peeling etc in over a week and that is ok because your skin is on a "cycle" if you stop using the product when you start up again the peeling/redness will be greater. So everyone hang in if you can. I do believe it is worth the pain. PM me if you want to talk-Dale
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with red head. I tried the mix/match a few years ago when I first tried obagi. Gave a half-hearted effort and did not stay on the program the entire 18 weeks. This last time, I used the entire nu derm system, stayed on for 18 weeks and my skin improved wonderfully. This is a system and if you did research on the Obagi site before you started, you will know of the 3 cycles your skin must go through. If you quit before the 18 weeks, you are not getting the full benefit. That said, this system is for hyperpigmentation, and if you do not have that issue, then obagi was not right for you to begin with.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
in addition to hypermignation it also smooths out the texture of your skin and gives it great clarity as well as regulates your skin back to a "normal" state
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the input red head and rileygirl. I think you guys are probably right. I have come this far and shouldn't quit now. I certainly still have enough of the products left to continue.

Rileygirl, I did have hyperpigmentation issues when starting Obagi. I think the combo of the hydroquinone products plus sunscreen use has lightened my skin up considerably. There is some light freckling left but not enough to bother me. I researched Obagi heavily before committing my skin and lots of $$ to the system. I knew I'd probably have lots of redness and peeling, especially during the first 6-week cycle, but I'd have to stick it out. I'm halfway through now but I've started questioning what else I expect to accomplish by using the whole system since the hyperpigmentation is not as much of an issue anymore. It's not that I can't handle the redness and peeling; I was just wondering if I was getting any good from it. However, I do want to get the full benefits of the system (which hopefully will include further improvements in skin texture) so I think I will keep going for the full 18 weeks.

Thanks again for the advice ladies and I'll get back on track tonight. Hopefully my few days off hasn't set me back too much.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Sweetie you will be fine-my face especially the chin still gets a cyst pimple it all the crap getting out of your skin. You may have more than normal redness/peeling if you have missed a few days. Go the the store and get plain old hydrocortisone (?) cream and use that it really stopped my redness and soreness and also cold compress if it really hurts. your skin renews itself and this system will help keep it that way. We are all here for you and again PM me if you want to talk-Dale
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck, mamawalnut! I made the comment about hyperpigmentation for anyone else reading this, as I do not believe one should use hydroquinone if they do not have hyperpigmentation issues!
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:27 am      Reply with quote
I've been back on Obagi now for a few days and I'm even more inclined to believe the whole system does more for skin resurfacing than Retin-A and AHA products alone. I am of course red again as expected but I've also started having a lot more peeling which surprised me since I hadn't stopped the Retin-A and had also been using AHA products. Perhaps the dryness caused by the Obagi cleanser and toner allow the products to penetrate better? I also remember that either the Clear or the Blender has lactic acid as one of the ingredients so maybe that is helping with cell turnover in addition to the Exfoderm. Either way, I am convinced now that the system when used all together is a more intensive skin resurfacer than just using Retin-A with other cleansers, toners, and AHA products, at least for me.

5% products discount

Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,
I have been an Obagi user on and off for the last 5 years - on my 'off periods' I have used inumerable alternatives all promising the earth and just delivering dirt! - I know the first couple/few months can be a real pain and at some times embarassing (I've been asked if my eyebrows have dandruff - peeling forehead!) but believe me, as someone who suffered with acne scars and years of sun abuse in the long run its worth it, so when you're having a bad day (in the beginning are there ever any others?!) just cover up (Clinique City block is excellent) and know that in a few short weeks it will all be worth it!
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Esme,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum! I see this is your first post. There are definitely some hard times in the beginning with Obagi but those who have made it through (like you Smile) usually say it is well worth the difficulties. I was excited when I started Obagi to be doing something for my skin that seemed to deliver on its promises of real results for the vast majority of its users. I started having doubts halfway through and thought I could get the same results with less of the "uglies" but have come to believe that the great results come from using the system as a whole. This is what everybody has always said but I guess I thought I could just do it my own way. Now I'm back on track and committed to the program.

Welcome again and please feel free to offer any advice or words of encouragement; there are several of us new Obagi users in the forum and all the success stories are inspiring for us to hear. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I just went to the Obagi website and read the 4 stages and took the age test. Thank you for that information. I hadn't read that yet. I want to get started on this program before the weather starts to get nice and get the peeling over with during the colder months. Thanks for you the help on this forum and I will be sure to ask any questions if any come up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the system, but like many did not follow thru all the way. I am going back this week, and this time will go the full 18 weeks.

Wish me luck!
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I just place my order for obagi yesterday,I'd like to try this.Thanks for your recommend.
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck to you both yomama606 and higig! Please keep us posted on how Obagi works for you.

5% products discount

Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mamawalnut,

Many thanks for the warm welcome! - I really wish this had been around when I first started using the Obagi system, it would really have made me feel a whole lot better to know that I wasn't the only one permanently 'flushed'

Glad to hear you're back with 'the programme' -
believe me it works if you work it, and the results in the long term (and I know it certainly feels like a long term in the beginning!) well outweigh the initial discomfort.
I would say, in my experience the best results really are acheived if the whole system is used although I do use another eye cream application.

Once again, stick with it!
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks mamawalnut, will do!!
vvpmelon
5% products discount

Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thank a lot. Now I realize that I have to use it for 18 weeks. I stopped at 12 weeks.
vassbeaute
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I am going to buy 3 products from Obagi very soon. i realsie that i wont be using the cleanser and toner but really do we need a special toner and cleanser. i have AHA cleansers and oil based cleansers and will use these up then buy Obagi. anyway ill keep u posted when i buy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:25 am      Reply with quote
vassbeaute, I would not use an AHA cleanser with obagi, it will be too drying. You can use a gentle cleanser that is not from Obagi, and you would tone with Witch Hazel only. Good luck.
CherilynneRN

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:03 am      Reply with quote
Wow! This is a great support group for the Obagi Transformation system. I started the Nu Derm program 12 weeks ago, and as I posted on the main forum I went through so much peeling and flaking, and my eyebrows flaked as well Laughing. At week 6 I began to have visible blackheads and after that I broke out like a teenager (I am 52) Rolling Eyes. At 12 weeks I have increasing redness and in combination with hot flashes I can really look pretty scary! I am a nurse working nights while I complete my Masters Degree and I believe the hot flashes are more intense due to the hours I keep. Overall I am completely happy with the transformation I am seeing. The melasma on my neck which was very noticeable is gone. I have a visible difference in the texture and pore size on my nose and also I had one large pore on the jawline that is gone! Although I am not finished I am completely amazed. I also started using the Elastiderm day eye gel and WOW!! what a difference in the lines around my eyes. I had to get a stronger SPF of 50 and I still cannot go outside without a hat without starting to burn, even for a short walk. I did have to breakdown and use Action for the dryness and Touleen for the itching, but I only used it a couple of times. I also started to use the Exoderm in place of the Exoderm Forte, and I have noticed less dryness. I use to have very oily skin until about 8 years ago when I started perimenopause. After menopause I notice that my skin was very dry. I am now starting to notice that my skin is getting more subtle and less dry (like when I was younger). The only complaint I have right now is the redness! Well I am only 6 weeks away from my total transformation and I am wondering what to do for maintenance.
If anyone who has discoloration, and skin that is damaged by years of living and is considering the Obagi System I wholeheartedly recommend it! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Cherilynne, maintenance with obagi is usually 3 days a week of Clear, 3 days a week of Retin A/blender, and 3 days a week of Exfoderm. You alternate the Clear and Exfoderm in the morning, and then 3 nights a week you would use RA/blender. I have recently heard of a new line by Obagi, ZO Skin Health. Search the board for this. There is a woman who works there that has been posting. You may went to incorporate some of those new products into your maintenance depending on what your skin goals still include. I have not tried the ZO Health yet, and they are expensive, but maybe worth checking out. I had great results with Obagi, so I think anything by Obagi is good!
luckylady
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:32 am      Reply with quote
maybe I need to increase my tretinoin to .05 because i'm on my 8th week and nothing. starting from around week 5-6 i stopped peeling, no redness, no break out, no change.

Is this a normal phase?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |