Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Sunscreen obsessed
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moonface001
5% products discount

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi, this is actually my first post Very Happy

I'm from Australia where unfortunatley a lot of people are very behind in the importance of wearing sunscreen. So much so that there are media campaigns advertising and explaining the importance. Australia has one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world and the UV rays can get quite strong.

However I seem to be one of the odd people that are obsessed with sunscreen. The only place I have found others that are sunscreen obsessed are on Australian beauty forums, no one in my family understands. In all honesty I don't know how I got the obsession. I remember being about 14 to 16 and applying sunscreen before my lunch break at school. Yeh, I got some weird looks Shock . Then the obsession grew. I now wear sunscreen every day and love trying new ones and researching about effectiveness. I have spent many years trying to convince my younger sister to apply her sunscreen. There is only 1.5 years between us (I'm 24 and she is 22) and you can already see the difference in our skin. She is getting fine lines while my skin still has the plump look of some one younger than her.

So are you obsessed about sunscreen, how did it start and have you gotten any comments about it?

Thanks Smile
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:06 am      Reply with quote
i became sunscreen obsessed after getting a sunspot on my cheek a few years ago :*( i was shocked because i thought that sunspots only happened to much older people, i'm still fairly young!
now i put on sunscreen even on rainy days... in case it becomes sunny in the middle of the day @_@ (crazy bay area weather)
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I have been sunscreen obsessed since about the age of 19, using it daily. I am now in my 30's and sure notice a differnce between me and friends of mine who baked in the tanning salon, lol!
I now use La Roche Posey Antelios XL daily. (the fluid).
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
I live in the Netherlands, but I seemed to be the only one being proud of not being overly tanned.

I tried to explain the virtues of sunscreen and the advantages of slower aging and to avoid skin cancer, but I only get the non-understanding looks and remarks that a bit of sun can be healthy...sight... Rolling Eyes
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
i became obsessed a couple of years ago (maybe 5-6) when i started using lightening/brightening products and had uneven skintone............although i dont use these products anymore i still keeping on using the ss Laughing and im from new zealand another factor which makes me want to use it is the location because the sun rays are much more worser out here Exclamation

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
I became a little obsessed with sunscreen a couple of years ago - when I got huge dose of pigmentation on my face. Funny how it always takes something to go wrong before I do something right.

I'm in Oz also and had never really been concerned about the sun until then. Growing up it was never an issue for my family or friends. I think we are becoming more sun conscious now.

If only I could find a great sunscreen that I really like .. I'll keep trying.
ch3r
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
hmmm. i wouldnt say i'm "obsessed", but its certainly an important part of my everyday routine. ok, now that i think about it, i may be a little obsessed...especially in the summer. haha. i think it started in my teens, on my body. but i didn't really put it on my face, because everything was just so cosmetically inelegant back then. i started applying it on my face regularly when i was 20. i used to get these "russian" peels. i'm not really sure what they used in the concoction, but it used to make me peel like crazy (like after a TCA peel without the darkening of the skin). i got them so frequently that ss was a must.

i admit about a year ago i've let some people on other boards convince me that my choice of ss wasnt that great (for everyday i use shiseido ultimate lotion spf 55, which has a PPD of 8 ). i became obsessed with finding the highest PPD. then i recently came to my senses and realized you have to put everything in perspective. one lady had INSISTED that the PPD on my ss wasn't high enough. when in fact, a PPD of 30 blocks out only 7% more UVA rays that one with a PPD of 10. i could not even find an ss that was compatible with my skin with more protection than 14-22 PPD. sorry hun, i'm not stressing myself out over 3% of UVA rays. plus i can go back to using a ss with less chemicals in it.

Other than that, i think only one of my friends, my SO, and my brother know that i use ss everyday. So i dont really get that many comments...except when other people find out i use ss everyday and they look at me like i'm insane. lol.
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:20 am      Reply with quote
I am obsessed with sunscreen too. I am in NZ and the UV rays here are quite strong too. Thanks to MUA and I know what ingredients to look for when buying a good UVA protective sunscreen.

I convinced my mom to wear sunscreen everyday. I told her that UVA caused wrinkles and hyperpigmentation. Apparently she doesn't want those and the information is really not that hard to understand. I also convinced my brother to wear sunscreen on his face. I told him that if he didn't his acne scars would never fade. He's using a sunscreen and moisturizer in one, which he thinks is convenient.

People always comment how great my skin is (29 year-old without even one fine line!) and I always tell them that I wear sunscreen daily and UVA is the #1 factor contributing to aging. They cannot not believe it because it is backed by scientific research and they obviously don't think skin looking like old leather and full of spots due to tanning is a good look. I guess my persistence in wearing sunscreen finally starts to pay off. Smile

I did wear sunscreen when I was teen, but that's because I wanted to avoid being tanned and hyperpigmented. I didn't know about the photoaging and UVA stuff then. I used Johnson's Baby Sunscreen, which I think was all physical. Thank goodness it worked.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:45 am      Reply with quote
I am obsessed with sunscreen too. I am in NZ and the UV rays here are quite strong too. Thanks to MUA and I know what ingredients to look for when buying a good UVA protective sunscreen.

I convinced my mom to wear sunscreen everyday. I told her that UVA caused wrinkles and hyperpigmentation. Apparently she doesn't want those and the information is really not that hard to understand. I also convinced my brother to wear sunscreen on his face. I told him that if he didn't his acne scars would never fade. He's using a sunscreen and moisturizer in one, which he thinks is convenient.

People always comment how great my skin is (29 year-old without even one fine line!) and I always tell them that I wear sunscreen daily and UVA is the #1 factor contributing to aging. They cannot not believe it because it is backed by scientific research and they obviously don't think skin looking like old leather and full of spots due to tanning is a good look. I guess my persistence in wearing sunscreen finally starts to pay off. Smile

I did wear sunscreen when I was a teen, but that's because I wanted to avoid being tanned and hyperpigmented. I grew up in Asia where many women use sunscreen as part of their whitening routine. I also jumped on the fair skin bandwagon. I didn't know about the photoaging and UVA stuff then. I used Johnson's Baby Sunscreen, which I think was all physical. Thank goodness it worked.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:47 am      Reply with quote
Whoops! Sorry about the double posts.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:59 am      Reply with quote
i have a question for you all........do you put SS on your ears Exclamation Laughing lol it is the one place i have never ever put SS cause i dont remeber and i just feel weird lol......my face, my neck, my arms even legs i have but ear never...what about you? Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
no I don't put it on the ears cuz I always forgot and my long hair will cover it anyways...

What about back of the neck? I found it hard to apply there without getting some on your hair...eew Confused
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in hot country,I like lrp sunscreen.It's good protect.
stovetop
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone put sunscreen in the eye area?
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
yep i also make sure to put ss on the eyelids and the under eye area Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
A study recently came out finding that the tops of the ears are one of the most frequent spots for skin cancer to develop. It also gets found late because it's a spot most people don't pay attention to.
I still forget to apply it there even though I know this now. Embarassed
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
i really love sunscreen. at the moment, i have some 10 SS.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:39 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

Ohh and which one is your fav? Are you still using SVR (I think from memory?)

I have still one full tube of PSF spf 50 to go and I am looking for the next one even though this has been the best I have used so far. Not satisfied though since I still seem to be tanning.

I am office-bound all day, but I wear SS every day since I am in Australia and I got an overdose of too much sun when I was a kid and had hyperpigmentation.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Well, I'm looking for good sunscreen to use. I would like to use it everyday and be obsessed with it like you all here. However most of them I tried just made me feel so uncomfortable and icky.

I've tried Peter Thomas Roth Ultra-Lite Oil Free Sunblock SPF30 based on EDS lady's recommendation. It's still too thick for me, so I gave up on it and gave it to my mum (who has dry skin and also found it too heavy).

Another concern for me is do I need special cleanser when I wash my face if I do apply sunscreen? Like make up remover or oil-base make up remover?? (Just to remove sunscreen completely in the evening.) I don't want any sunscreen left on my face after I clean my face in the evening. I don't know if having "leftover" sunscreen on my face will do any damages, but the idea of it certainly doesn't seem appealing to me. That's another reason why I'm not using sunscreen everyday yet.

I have very oily, but also dry and flaky skin. So if any of you who are obsessed with sunscreen and knows what are the good ones to get, any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I really want something that feels light to the skin and help me combat the UVA damage!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:31 am      Reply with quote
moonface, you're not alone! Very Happy Many of use here on EDS are either obsessed with sun protection or very aware of the importance of it! I grew up thinking that a tan was HEALTHY and that it would help control my acne. When I was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma, I became obsessed with sunscreen. I wear it everyday, even during the winter.

I spent a lot of time looking for a facial sunscreen that worked well for me. I'm currently using PSF SPF 50 and that's worked well, but it's still not physical/mineral, so I'll be switching to NIA24 shortly.

oh jeez Slyphide, I didn't know about applying it to the ears, thank you for the tip!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:

Ohh and which one is your fav? Are you still using SVR (I think from memory?)

I have still one full tube of PSF spf 50 to go and I am looking for the next one even though this has been the best I have used so far. Not satisfied though since I still seem to be tanning.

I am office-bound all day, but I wear SS every day since I am in Australia and I got an overdose of too much sun when I was a kid and had hyperpigmentation.

Hi cuppre,

I am on leave from work until March so i haven't been leaving the house, but yes the SVR is my holy grail when i used to spend 2+ hours in the car (i live in southern cali). it's a great SS as it doubles as foundation too, and though i don't normally wear foundation, i find it nice. the high UVA protection is a definitely plus.

these days since i leave my house only after sundown, i prefer the devita solar protection moisturizer. i recently purchased devita's SS for the body and i think i like using it for my face better than the one made for the face! it's more moisturizing than the face version (has shea butter) but the ingredients are very similar. to be safe, i emailed devita and the owner told me it was perfectly safe to use the body one for the face, as the ingredients are very nice. i do miss the tinted look of SVR and sofina, and sunkillers, so i think i will mix some mineral makeup into the devita SSs to get that glowy tint.

HTH, Kris

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:46 am      Reply with quote
autumnApple wrote:
Well, I'm looking for good sunscreen to use. I would like to use it everyday and be obsessed with it like you all here. However most of them I tried just made me feel so uncomfortable and icky.

I've tried Peter Thomas Roth Ultra-Lite Oil Free Sunblock SPF30 based on EDS lady's recommendation. It's still too thick for me, so I gave up on it and gave it to my mum (who has dry skin and also found it too heavy).

Another concern for me is do I need special cleanser when I wash my face if I do apply sunscreen? Like make up remover or oil-base make up remover?? (Just to remove sunscreen completely in the evening.) I don't want any sunscreen left on my face after I clean my face in the evening. I don't know if having "leftover" sunscreen on my face will do any damages, but the idea of it certainly doesn't seem appealing to me. That's another reason why I'm not using sunscreen everyday yet.

I have very oily, but also dry and flaky skin. So if any of you who are obsessed with sunscreen and knows what are the good ones to get, any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I really want something that feels light to the skin and help me combat the UVA damage!

I would recommend Japanese PA+++ sunscreens for oily skin, for example, those by Fancl, Sofina, or Shiseido. They are very lightweight and dry on your skin matte. You do need cleansing oil or cream to remove the sunscreen. Japanese sunscreens are very silicony and adhere to the skin well. If you don't remove sunscreen or makeup completely, the residue will oxidize and become harmful to your skin as well as clogging pores. Cleansing wipes or just plain almond oil with cotton pads followed with a regular cleanser is a good method to remove sunscreen too.

Olay Complete Sensitive SPF 30 is quite nice too. It doesn't require a cleansing oil to remove but it's not highly protective from UVA. It's cheap and easily available. Carry blotting sheets with you if you find your sunscreen turns your T-zone a bit greasy (most sunscreens do this on me except the Japanese ones). As long as it doesn't break you out or irritate, I don't see the point of stopping using it. Also wear sunglasses and staying out of the sun are as important as wearing sunscreen.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:52 am      Reply with quote
thanks plug-in-babe Smile do you know the ppd of the olay one? i'm guessing it's physical?

Norwegian, 28, brunette, medium/pale skintone, green eyes. Not sensitive skin, bit dry in winter, trying to figure out preventative skincare. Happy with: retin-a cream, emu, LRP Anthelios ss, Careprost. Stopped with CPs. Curious about: Bioderma ss, Renova, gadgets.
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you plug-in-babe!! So the cleaning mystery for using sunscreen has been revealed. Hooray!!

Which particular Shiseido sunscreen do you recommand? Is it possible to get it in Canada? (Cause I don't live in Asia...) And for Almond oil, what sort of Almond oil and where can I get them?

Thanks again for your help Wink
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
plug-in-babe wrote:

I would recommend Japanese PA+++ sunscreens for oily skin, for example, those by Fancl, Sofina, or Shiseido. They are very lightweight and dry on your skin matte. You do need cleansing oil or cream to remove the sunscreen. Japanese sunscreens are very silicony and adhere to the skin well. If you don't remove sunscreen or makeup completely, the residue will oxidize and become harmful to your skin as well as clogging pores. Cleansing wipes or just plain almond oil with cotton pads followed with a regular cleanser is a good method to remove sunscreen too.

Olay Complete Sensitive SPF 30 is quite nice too. It doesn't require a cleansing oil to remove but it's not highly protective from UVA. It's cheap and easily available. Carry blotting sheets with you if you find your sunscreen turns your T-zone a bit greasy (most sunscreens do this on me except the Japanese ones). As long as it doesn't break you out or irritate, I don't see the point of stopping using it. Also wear sunglasses and staying out of the sun are as important as wearing sunscreen.

actually, i think a good cleansing oil is needed to remove sofina/sunkiller SS. my skin never felt quite clean without using one especially since both contain cones in their formulation.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |