Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Calling women over 45-makeup tips thatmake you look younger?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
This is a great topic. I agree with the lightening up of hair and makeup. I still see the over 65 ladies with BLACK hair & eyebrows, RED and I mean RED lips! not to forget the two perfect rouge circles. Sort of scary and they've been around since I was young. One thing, at least they are still trying and I'm sure the makeup is carefully applied. We must remember to overhaul our makeup styles every once in awhile.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:58 am      Reply with quote
43 years old and learned a few things along the way...

Focus on great skin first, then makeup will follow.

Less really is more. If your skin is in great condition then you won't need a great deal of foundation. Too much foundation makes you look cakey and overly made up, not a good look for anyone regardless of your age.

Don't get stuck in the neutral rut just because you're in your forties; I've recently found I can certainly rock the bright pinks and blues if used in moderation as long as my lips are light or neutral!

Prep your eyes with a great eye cream so that powders don't settle into the lines. I agree that frosty eye makeup tends to accentuate any lines, but don't be afraid of a little lustre in your life. Strictly matte eyes shadows can get pretty boring. I use pearl and shimmers in some areas right alongside the matte.

Overdoing the lip liner, especially if you're developing lines on the upper lip. I usually forgo it.

And yes, too dark of lipstick along with overly madeup eyes looks like you're trying too hard Very Happy

Too thin pencil eyebrows; slightly thicker looks better.

Light eyepencil or shadow in the inner corner of your eyes really can work wonders.

A sense of humor and wonder is the best makeup trick of all!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
"I didnt know you can save hair dye! I touch up my roots every 6 days and was throwing away most of it,I will try to keep in separate containers to save $$$"

Yes as long as you don't mix the dye...I just mix equal parts (I do a capful of eachfor eyebrows) in a seperate container. I have been doing this for yrs...and it lasts..
Lou
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that anything frosted looks so wrong, but NARS makes a beautiful little highlighter called Albatross that just lights you up from within. It truly does not settle in the lines, but makes the skin look airbrushed and glowing, but not greasy/shiny. Sort of a pale lemon yellow/alabaster color. Comes in the same compact as their blushes. A little goes a long way, and just a hint at the corners of the eyes and tops of cheeks, nose, lip, etc. works.
HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I swear by prescription Retin A...have used it for years. I also think exfoliation is a must...find the product that works for your skin type.

Natural doesn't work for me, but I do think you have to constantly adjust colors/formulas for what's going on with your skin at the time.

Finding the right foundation shade is crucial...make sure you test in natural light, not in a department store.
I think lip liner is a must...but it must NOT be darker than your natural lip color.
Find yourself a great pair of fake eyelashes..and learn how to apply them. Or see if Jan Marini's products will work for you!
Many makeup artists suggest a cream blush for 45+, but as my skin is still oily, I stick with a pinky brown powder. Know your skin!

Don't be afraid to experiment...smile a lot...find a signature fragrance or 2 or 3.
Have an item you can't return? Find girlfriends or family to trade or share with!
Don't forget your hands,neck and decollete.
Slather on sunscreen year round.

Did I say smile??!! Wink
And if all else fails, I intend to find Jane Fonda's plastic surgeon...didn't she look fab on the Today Show this week??!!

V
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Great teeth are totaly anti aging. A friend who is a plastic surgeon told me white teeth and a great smile are incredibly youthful.
i was born with whitish teeth and parents that footed the bill for orthodontics 30 years ago.
I look after my teeth meticulously and once a year spend a week with the tooth whitening trays.
People tell me I have a great smile and I think it stops them looking at the crow feets and crepey neck Very Happy .
But seriously this is very important.
I also think less is more in terms of makeup. So I use light foundation Chanel.
Have perfectly groomed eyebrows and wear eyeliner and mascara everyday.
Cream blush and a light lipstick work too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:36 am      Reply with quote
Great thread..thank you all for all the input..good to remind that how important the teeth and smile and others..Thank you!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:56 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree with the teeth thing. 2 yrs ago I finally cracked and got veneers on my teeth,the dentist was even able to make all of them look perfectly straight. I had 1 of the best dentists in SD who does all the TV people. My teeth look completely natural,I get compliments frequently(never tell them they are fake!) and it will rejuvenate your appearance and look a lot healthier and younger. Do NOT go for the least expensive dentist.....I have seen some bad veneer jobs-they look like dinner plates and are too white!It was pricey(16,000) but truly worth it and wished I had done it years ago!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Great ideas! I totally agree with posters who suggest keeping it light and simple. After much experimentation, I've given up on mineral makeup.

Shiseido stick foundation only where I need it, and Boots no. 7 concealer under eyes and inner corners. Burt's Bees pomegranate lip balm, or sometimes a neutral or pink lipstick. This is the routine that gets me compliments from my husband and the guys at work! I actually had a guy tell me I looked younger. Very Happy

Oh, I need to update my signature. I'm 47 now. Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the club here too as I'll hit 45 in April. I love these ideas and I agree with all of them - especially the one about smiling and laughing. Life without laughter is just no fun at all.

I also have really, really trimmed down on all the products - my routine is simple which ironically enough, when I went simpler, my skin looked better (even though I still have light melasma on both cheeks - I sort of just deal with it now instead of putting my skin through torture) - I am currently in love with Jason's Vitamin E with Almond, Avocado, and Sunflower oil. After washing my face at night I put this on before bed and it is amazing how soft and smooth my skin is in the morning. I love this stuff. And it's all of $6 in the natural section of your grocer.

What I'm finding...and maybe you girls can chime in here - is that - even though I am nearly 45, I like to dress somewhat more hip - but not TOO young - so I find I'm limited to stores that make sense for me. With help from a fairly decent exercise program and not too bad eating habits (though I love my red wine!) I've got a fairly decent figure (though peri-menopause has played some funny tricks on me)but I find that when browsing in stores that maybe I should be browsing in, I feel some of the styles are kind of older woman-ish even though I'll see women my age buying the clothes. I do okay at The Gap - but where do you girls shop?

Also - for me - after being the strongest advocate for mineral makeup since arriving o this board in 2004, I have determined that it just dries the crap out of my skin and anyone who knows my posts, knows I've tried 'em ALL!!!! I do however, love Aromaleigh for their entire color line - from eyes to cheeks to lips. (Their new lipglosses and lipbalms are DIVINE! - gorgeous colors, staying power, and they don't dry out your lips) I still haven't found a foundation that is THE one - right now I'm using Soft Finish by Clinique of all things - and it's very light and not drying.....I keep checking here waiting to read about an HG for someone else so that I can go try it!

Maria Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I use alima mineral powder sometimes,I like that, I also use philosophy's supernatural poreless,flawless tinted spf.I dont know what it is exactly I just know when you put it on your skin looks matte, younger and you dont look like you have foundation on...its 1 color that works for everyone.You can try it at Nordstroms first,I think Sephora carries it too.I like the fact that it has sunscreen in it already....I am really leery of using foundation because it tends to really age you but this stuff is great!
charlibets
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that we should avoid eyeliner on the bottom to reduce an aged look - what about mascara? I stopped using mascara on the bottom but have been still using minimal pencil liner. Should it be neither?

Betsy
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
you know I have given up on liner on the bottom,it ages older women I think,I only do mascara on top lashes,and if at all VERY lightly on the bottom lashes...I found it just looked a little overdone....sometimes I put just a tiny bit of shadow a thin line just under the outer eye,but not the whole length of the lower eye...and not liner or pencil but shadow...
tthagen1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
i am loving this topic. I agree that sometimes, its the 20 and 30 year olds talking, and they have different needs and wants.

I have a question as to what everyones favorite night cream and day moisturizer is. I have very dry skin, as I live in Utah, and it is cold and dry here.

Lets keep this topic going.........its awesome!!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I actually use revive' creme lustre at night a rich night cream ,during the day I use their cellular repair cream.Its pricey but I have gotten great results from it..I do use other products too and rotate a series of different products in addition to these.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Okay - I'm definitely trying the Philosophy supernatural SPF 15.

That said I love albatross by Nars as a finishing touch - it does brighten the face - gives a beautiful glow and if you are already using proper skincare techniques it just adds to it. I use it on the inside corners of my eyes (usually at night) and on cheekbones and on forehead for that lifting effect that isn't really noticed but there...

Other things I have learned:
Well-groomed brows. Keep the eyebrow pencil and/or shadow lighter vs darker. And use wax or groomer to keep in place.

White Teeth - fresh breath and daily flossing - I am a dental hygienist - actually I teach preventive dentistry and periodontics and having clean, white teeth is our hallmark! I get comments about my smile all the time.

Eye liner - on the outside of eyes.
Mascara - black (yes black) only. Brown looks dingy.
I also use the 1000hr dye in blue-black from New Zealand about every 6 weeks - it looks natural, brings out the lower (and upper lashes) and takes care of the -should I or shouldn't I use mascara on my lower lashes dilemma?

I do use Lauren Huttons lip liner - it's so nice. I use it to lightly line and inside of lips and add a gloss over it for a natural, yet groomed appearance.

I use concealor - generally as mentioned in Lauren Hutton's video. (Lauren's or Bobbi Brown's)

Not a big fan of base makeup at all but will be trying the Philosophy ala LucyLuc recs. It's ordered at Sephora as I write...

I am a big fan of Julie Hewett Cheekies and I have oily skin but I tell you they light you up and do not look overly done at all. Just adds to the glow of your well-cared for skin. I usually tap on some natural color and then use peach over the top - cheekbone area.

lipstick - when I want to be a little more done - and get a little more attention. (NO RED). Vincent Longo and Julie Hewett sheers for me.

I agree about the signature fragrance. Find something that feels and smells right for YOU. You'll love wearing it.

All that said - Less is really more; yet, we all add or subtract as dictated by where you're going and what's going on.

Well, I guess I've said enough!!! Wink

This is fun.

Hugs to all -
Sister
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a great pair of false eyelashes? Never did that one!!!

TIA
oncloudten
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Vincent Longo has a nifty set of lashes for the outer corner only...gives you that "cat eye" yet "lifted look"! Love 'em!

Have Laura Mercier's full set of lashes on order...they're new to her line. Will let you know what I think of those.

Also have some of the MAC lashes from Sephora on order.

I LOVE playing!! Smile

V
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
Oh that's just great--after a lifetime of searching, I finally found the perfect red lipstick, and you're all saying that red makes us look older?!! Brick wall

I'm not quite 45, but I like this thread. Like Maria, I too recently gave up on mineral makeup because it was drying out my skin. Now I use Estee Lauder "Double Wear" which comes in a powder compact, and it covers red blotches as well as MMU without causing dryness.

And I have a youth-enhancing makeup trick that I want to add to this thread: On a whim, I bought an Estee Lauder eyeshadow pencil in the color "black pearl." It's thicker than an eyeliner and the color is like a dark silvery gray. I put it above my upper lashes instead of drawing a thin line of eyeliner. The first day I tried this, I was at a beach park and two guys in their twenties kept looking at me like they were getting up the nerve to come over. I figured as soon as they got close, they'd see how old I am and that'll be the end of that. Not so. They actually came over and talked to me, then one of them asked me out. I laughed and said I was almost old enough to be his mother. They seemed genuinely surprised.

Needless to say, I've been using that eye pencil ever since! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets...you wont need false lashes if you can get ahold of Jan Marini eyelash intervention.I bouht a tube on ebay for $100. You can still purchase revitalash that works too. I think false lashes always look false and look ridiculous on older women. Grow your own...natural long lashes are possible and look natural and makes any woman look younger and prettier.
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:44 am      Reply with quote
pastel colors for eyes, pink blush for brightening the face, and a sheer lipstick can lift and brighten a face no end. Darker colors just make me look sallow and tired. I just cant do the dark peach/bronzy blush and dark lipstick! It makes me look ill.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:48 am      Reply with quote
When I was 51 I went into a store and with my groceries bought a bottle of wine. I got carded...I was 51 at the time!!!!He couldnt believe I was that old! But I wasnt wearing any makeup except lip gloss and I curled my lashes(no mascara though)Sometimes less is more.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I tried Carekate's sample of Lushlips carnation pink...I just use a little in the center of my lips, not all over and then use a gloss and it does look fantastic....I need to order it!
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 am      Reply with quote
charlibets wrote:
I read somewhere that we should avoid eyeliner on the bottom to reduce an aged look - what about mascara? I stopped using mascara on the bottom but have been still using minimal pencil liner. Should it be neither?

Betsy

This is indeed one of the so-called "rules" for older women but, for me, the opposite is true - I can't wear any liner on my upper lid and seem to need a bit on the bottom. Similarly, I think there are some older women who look washed-out with nude lip colour and look much better with - dare I say it - a (sheer) red!

In spite of this excellent thread and the great tips it contains, I don't think there can be a fixed set of rules that apply to an entire age group - particularly as women in their mid-40s can nowadays look ten years younger (though I would agree that the "mutton dressed as lamb" is a look to be avoided at all costs!). Experimenting and knowing and having faith in our own selves and sense of style is an imporant part of finding what works best for us individually. Though so too is having a husband/partner/friend/relative whose opinion we trust so we don't accidentally delude ourselves!

I'll get off my soapbox and add one more tip: I've just discovered Bobbi Brown's creamy concealer corrector (a 'pre' concealer). It has really helped me on 'dark circle' mornings. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Can you still order from CareKate? I loved her knock-off face powder.. (forget who she knocked off - but it was a lovely citrus scent also)
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |