Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Calling women over 45-makeup tips thatmake you look younger?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
heathercolorado
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lucy!

What a great thread! So many noteworthy tips I just filled a whole page of my "beauty notebook" with them! Racking my brains to add things that haven't been mentioned...

Sticking to topic, I think the keys to applying makeup to create a younger look are (as you mentioned) avoiding harsh, aging things like dark lipstick or crease-accentuating foundation and powder, and applying makeup in an "up" direction.

For example, when doing eyebrows and eye shadow, slightly accentuate the outer and upper edges. Blush can be applied in a slight diagonal, to draw the eye upwards. The outer eyelashes can get extra mascara.

As we age, the face tends to head south Crying or Very sad
Anything that draws the eye 'down' will emphasize this. I always wear stud or button earrings--since hitting 40, long earrings make me look like a Bassett Hound. When I take the time to do my hair, I backcomb it out from the sides of my face and hold it up, then hit it with a shot of Nexus Comb-Thru hairspray. If I get it too high and look like an 80s rocker, I just pull it down some.

Those are my best tips, but now I'm on a roll Very Happy
Make sure to thoroughly tweeze under the brow area. I've caught hairs on my eyelids before that were probably higher years ago. Check the goatee area for stray Billygoat hairs, and sneak your husband's nosehair trimmer, too.

If I'm doing my face for photos or a big night out, I'll break out the microdermabrasion machine, and do an old-fashioned eggwhite and alum face mask. Then, I apply a firming serum--DMAE or whatever is on hand, some Dr. Perricone lip plump to my lips and nasolabial grooves, and a little Joey Correct-A-Line to the crepey wrinkled places. If I have time, I'll break out the Dermawand to really sink in the products and get some youthful glow and lip fullness happening.

A foundation primer goes on next, followed by concealer on broken veins, etc., then foundation. Believe it or not, the only one I find makes me look younger is Cover Girl Advanced Radiance Embarassed Embarrasing to admit that my Cle de peau sits unused.

I use a light Mac contour powder under my nose, chin, cheekbones, and bottom lip, then in my eyecrease, aiming for a slanted 'V' that brings my eyes up and outwards. Next is highlighter (my favorite is the lightest shade from an old Prestige quad, 'Soleil' but I'm eager to try the Nars Albatross!) I highlight the outer upper edges of the brow and cheekbones, a thin line halfway down the center of my nose, and just above the top edge of the upper lip.

A little bit of light pink blush (Nars Desire looks dark in the package but goes on much lighter if you use a big brush and a soft hand) on my outer upper cheeks, and in the eyecrease.

I never used much powder because it makes me look older, so to blend everything and set the makeup, I take the big brush and just barely touch it to the Cle de peau powder, then buff gently. The residual blush seems to add a little glow.

For lips, I like Joey Super Duper lip pencil or for evening, Jordana #32 Petal. I color in the whole lip and emphasize the upper bow, because as we age, the top lip gets thinner and further away from the nose. I call this the "Jamie Lee Curtis effect" not to be mean--she's one of my favorite actresses, just to illustrate the inevitable effects of aging on our nose/lip areas! Next is a tiny bit of highlighter above the lip bow and in the center of the bottom lip--a silver or gold gloss will work, I use Cover Girl Wetslicks 445 Bling--and a nonsticky
neutral gloss applied lightly over most of the lip.

I was going to finish with eyes but I have to go let my new employee into the office and give her a key. Will detail eyes later if you all aren't
too bored or overwhelmed Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing Heather.

You certainly didn't bore me... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Tell us more about the egg white and alum face mask Very Happy
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I'm waiting for "eyes". I'm going to borrow a few of your makeup ideas. Thanks
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I had my Artefill appointment today and I'm happy to report it looks good - a little puffy - needle sticks will do that. Not too much bruising and I think the fill looks very natural and nice.
I used one syringe and I think there was a bit left.

They gave me a rebate card to send into the company for $150.00 American Express gift card for trying/using the product.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats on your good results Sis!

Is artefill the filler that's permanent? Please excuse my ignorance on fillers, I have no clue about them.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
yes its permanent,its good for people who dont retain fillers for a long time,for me restylane lasted only 1 month.Oh, sister sweets the artefill co sent me a survey afterwards to fill out and then sent me $50 for filling out the survey!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Lucy - The secretary at the PS office said I might get a survey in the mail in 6 months for another $50.00
Good deal - get my NL folds filled in and $200 to spend. Is it the Gift Card again?

Kassy - I am so happy to not deal with the fillers that don't last. I've had Radiesse, restylne and I think first generation juvederm - This has been in the last two years - way too much money and no lasting results. I guess I use my mouth too much - keeps moving on Laughing

The Artefill is supposed to last for several years and the PS I went to was very positive about it - the results and how well it has been working in his practice. He's done two fillers on me previously and I know he knows what he's doing. If you don't need them - well count your blessings.

Sis
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
The 50 from artefill co for the survery is a check!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
LUcy Luc - Works for me....
Wink thanks
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 3:06 am      Reply with quote
O.K girls...I spent the day at the park with my youngest daughters play group (she's 3) and they are much younger women then me..One girl was 24 YIKES!!!!.not good for the self esteem..but anyhow...it made me realize how unhappy I am with me skin..I really don't me the fine lines around my eyes and mouth..but I am really unhappy with the my skin clarity..it's just plain blotchy with hyperpigmentation..I almost ordered Obagi last night..but decided that was not wise since I live in South florida and the kids will be getting out of school so..more time outside for me..
What has made you skin look like porcelain..?
I use vit c, retin a and a good sunscreen..I have normal and resiliant skin.
I just want someone to say..hey you have nice skin...
Thanks girls..just feeling down..
Lou
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Honestly the best thing for my skin does not cost a penny. Do you want to know the secret? Do not let the sun hit your face! If you stay out of the sun you wont have all those problems like sun spots to begin with.I am very careful about that.I dont wear sunscreen(too many chemicals and greasy) because I dont do in the sun.I have a huge property but I work in the yard early before the sun peaks through and in the early evening as the sun goes down. I have tinting and shades in my car and when I go outside to the store I use my appt book to screen my face from the sun as I walk from the car to the store. I also take the best products from each top skin care line and use them diligently.I use Jan Marini regeneration booster once a day, TNS skin recovery complex, Revive eye gel, their volumizing serum and their neck cream and night cream lustre.I use skin medicas vitamin C too.I use IS clinical active serum.My skin looks pretty decent for someone who is going to be 54,my only lines are a few crows feet on my left eye....thinking about botox since that does take them away.I also have 1 faint line on forehead but I wear bangs so you cant see it.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 5:40 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
Honestly the best thing for my skin does not cost a penny. Do you want to know the secret? Do not let the sun hit your face! If you stay out of the sun you wont have all those problems like sun spots to begin with.I am very careful about that.I dont wear sunscreen(too many chemicals and greasy) because I dont do in the sun.I have a huge property but I work in the yard early before the sun peaks through and in the early evening as the sun goes down. I have tinting and shades in my car and when I go outside to the store I use my appt book to screen my face from the sun as I walk from the car to the store. I also take the best products from each top skin care line and use them diligently.I use Jan Marini regeneration booster once a day, TNS skin recovery complex, Revive eye gel, their volumizing serum and their neck cream and night cream lustre.I use skin medicas vitamin C too.I use IS clinical active serum.My skin looks pretty decent for someone who is going to be 54,my only lines are a few crows feet on my left eye....thinking about botox since that does take them away.I also have 1 faint line on forehead but I wear bangs so you cant see it.

Thanks Lucyluc,
I don't want to look 20 or 30 just trying to look like a good 40 yr old.
Unfortunately I can't stay out of the sun with 2 young children, who still me to be by their side at the park or in the pool, but I do wear high spf sunscreen (will research this more) and wear a hat and sunglasses.
I have forehead frown lines but I hope to address this with botox soon, my youngest will be in pre-school two mornings a week in the fall so it will be a little easier for me to get out Very Happy
Lou
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Lou - there are MMU sunscreens that cover and protect - since you are out with children often - wear a big hat. Buy them in different looks and enjoy it!!! Keep your face covered as much as possible.

Put sunscreen on your hands.

Smile - that makes everyone prettier and more radient.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'll be 44 in a couple of weeks...I'm addicted to Botox (every 3 months) and Juvaderm!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Victoria - what did you and your friends do that changed everything? I believe this also. I'd love to see the pictures.

Sis
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
victoriaskin wrote:
You know, we are talking all about make up. But speaking personally, once I started to address the aging and hyperpigmentation of my skin and used products to correct and rejuvenate my skin, I no longer had to wear heavy foundation. In fact, now its just a touch of powder! Email me and I'll show you pictures of me and my friends. We love the products.

No advertising on the forum victoriaskin.. Shame on you

Sis, take a look at her other 14 posts from today when she joined.

Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
O.K girls...I spent the day at the park with my youngest daughters play group (she's 3) and they are much younger women then me..One girl was 24 YIKES!!!!.not good for the self esteem..but anyhow...it made me realize how unhappy I am with me skin..I really don't me the fine lines around my eyes and mouth..but I am really unhappy with the my skin clarity..it's just plain blotchy with hyperpigmentation..I almost ordered Obagi last night..but decided that was not wise since I live in South florida and the kids will be getting out of school so..more time outside for me..
What has made you skin look like porcelain..?
I use vit c, retin a and a good sunscreen..I have normal and resiliant skin.
I just want someone to say..hey you have nice skin...
Thanks girls..just feeling down..
Lou

Hi Lou: I am in the same position as you! I have very young kids. One in 2nd grade and one about to go to KG. I am in my 40's. This is the first year that I am very dissapointed in my skin. Every morning I awake to some small wrinkles. My damage came as a result of CP usage. I am using Retinol and emu oil but it is a loosing battle. I wish I also could come across something that could restore my skin and give it a nice smooth glow. I am thinking about the Jan Marini line!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
I really like the Booster.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Being 36 years old, I don't know whether I'm entitled to post in this thread, but I hope you will accept a "guest appearance". I've been enjoying the thread and am nodding as I read, especially to the less-is-more-claims. Here are my suggestions:

1. Moderate spider veins/threads in cheek and nose area can be quickly and easily removed permanently by a trained esthetician by using diathermy (needle therapy similar to electrolysis). I have even removed small veins myself with the home electrolysis device One Touch.

2. To keep a radiant and even complexion is just as important as fighting wrinkles to look young. Vit C serum might be a key product.

3. Mixing moisturizer with foundation and adding a little shimmering cream gives a nice, natural looking face. Three Dermalogica products work excellent together: Skin smoothing cream, treatment foundation and Day brightening cream (subtle shimmer).

4. I agree on well-groomed eye brows. They should be brushed up- and outwards to open up eye area.

5. There's no rule of law that mature women should have short hair. A nice bob or shoulder length is feminine and appropriate.

6. Diamond studs (or quality fakes) give sparkle and life to face.

I'll happily check in on this thread again in nine years time. Please keep it alive.Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
I got Philosophy.... The Supernatural as recommended by Lucy L... It's very nice - smooth - not much for color which is fine with me and gives a smooth, clear look. A little siliconey but has not bothered my oily skin. Spf 15.
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Geez, how I wish I knew about sun damage when I was younger - I was one of those who roasted and toasted in the sun. I am asian and hyperpigmentation & blackheads were my initial problem. As I've aged, that still is a problem and along came a few more - fine wrinkles, dull complexion, etc.

Strangely, when I turned 49 those skin issues seemed to have accelerated before my eyes. It can be depressing but finding this forum has inspired me to take better care of myself. I've used Obagi, microdermabrasion and a few other things many years ago (had the budget then) - they did work then but it's been a while and my skin has changed and become more sensitive than the leather-like toughness it used to be.

I've started using the PSF vit C, HA Serum, Perfecting Day Lotion & .05% Retinol, weekly aspirin or lactic acid masks and I've also picked up microfiber cloths. I'm wondering if while these are good products, my issues are beyond it's ability. I'm mainly concerned about skin texture and discoloration. Oh, I certainly have frown lines, crows feet and other wrinkles but I'll just live with it - I think only something like surgery could help me there. Short of magic, any of you have thoughts about something I may want to add that's worked for you? Retin A perhaps? or the JM Booster? Or....?

I appreciate your thoughts. I understand we all have varying skin issues but I just wanted to tap into your experiences. And if I don't try everything at once, plse don't be offended or feel like I don't value your feedback - it's more to do with having a budget and prioritizing things.

Thanks again!
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 12:15 am      Reply with quote
blesstd (and other ladies on a budget, or for those who don't like the idea of botox/fillers) - my latest thrilling discovery is Frownies. My forehead is not lined and I've no crows feet yet, but I've noticed the start of nasolabial lines and some chest wrinkles (from sleeping on my side). Frownies are taking care of these pesky little demons. No, they're not the most comfortable things to sleep with and you need to be consistent and patient to see long-term results - but they work, and they're inexpensive.

On another note, I raved about Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation a few pages back in this thread. As we enter into the summer months, it was looking too heavy to me (even though I don't use much - the 'less is more' mantra is so true for foundation). So I tried the new Double Wear Light. I was given a 10-day sample and so far I'm really liking it. It's got the consistency of a tinted moisturiser, but the coverage is better. Good reviews on MUA.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to apologize for posting my skincare question here - I looked at the subject again and realized this is focused on sharing make-up tips!! Duh!

graceless_lady, I had to look up Frownies because I've never heard of it. Sounds like a great product too and it's good to hear of your positive results!

I'm excitedly watching this thread in the products review forum about the 302 skincare line. It sure sounds like it's working for some folks and it's a non-acid product line.

Okay, back to reading. Just wanted to apologize for my oversight.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
blesstd - I am 49 - almost 50 and I know what you mean. check out Karin Herzog. Can't believe what it has done for me. I have been revitalized with this line - no kidding.

Sis
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |