Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Calling women over 45-makeup tips thatmake you look younger?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I dont know I just pm her to ask about ordering that pink lipsstick I love.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
graceless_lady wrote:
I would agree that the "mutton dressed as lamb" is a look to be avoided at all costs!).

I've never heard that expression before. It's funny!

I agree that we're all different so we each have to do what's right for us, but I put on that red lipstick yesterday after reading this thread and it really does make me look older. Frosty gloss has the opposite effect, and I just never noticed before.

I was surprised that most of you don't mention eyeshadow. I have to wear at least a little neutral eyeshadow, or my eyes will look really small especially in photos.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:54 am      Reply with quote
I have a lot of broken red spider veins on my eyelids and my lids have turned purplish,I just put Estee Lauder camouflage foundation that totally hides the veins...I am very careful with shadow..I dont want to look like I am wearing a lot of makeup...I usually just do a bit of light brown in the crease.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:40 am      Reply with quote
What eyeshadow brands do you all prefer?
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:18 am      Reply with quote
<<<<And I have a youth-enhancing makeup trick that I want to add to this thread: On a whim, I bought an Estee Lauder eyeshadow pencil in the color "black pearl." It's thicker than an eyeliner and the color is like a dark silvery gray. I put it above my upper lashes instead of drawing a thin line of eyeliner. The first day I tried this, I was at a beach park and two guys in their twenties kept looking at me like they were getting up the nerve to come over. I figured as soon as they got close, they'd see how old I am and that'll be the end of that. Not so. They actually came over and talked to me, then one of them asked me out. I laughed and said I was almost old enough to be his mother. They seemed genuinely surprised..

I love this thread.
I have a friend who wears Estee Lauder double wear and her face looks flawless..I will have to try it and I will get the eye shadow pencil a try also..he..he..

Lou
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:35 am      Reply with quote
The responses in this thread only prove that there are no hard and fast rules.

I disagree that black eyeliner shouldn't be used; when I use pale eyeshadows, a light application creates added definition. I don't apply it all the way around, however that tends to make eyes smaller when they need to look BIGGER. On days when I do use a black eyeliner pencil, I apply it about 3/4 of the way on upper and lower lash line, then I use my sable watercolor brush to apply some hot pink MAC e/s on top of the eyeliner. It smudges it and opens up the eye immensely!

I never use lip liner and have yet to find a red lipstick that doesn't look ridiculous but I keep looking. Until then, I love pink lipstick with a little bit of shimmer.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
tthagen1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm just wondering what mascara you are all loving?

Has anyone found the "perfect" mascara?
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Athena123 , totally agree with you how light colored eyeshadow with a black liner can look fab and open the eyes out. I also line just starting halfway and out - any more and my eyes look small and piggy!! I cannot give up lining my lower eyes with black, although its usual lighter than the top.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:28 am      Reply with quote
I use fullnsoft from maybelline because of excellent reviews on MUA.For special occasions I curl my lashes,put a light coat of fullnsoft,then I use Fastlash by tweezerman,then put another light coat of fullnsoft,your lashes will look huge(especially if you use Jan Marini or RL) Its very tricky with the fastlash....you have to have the right technique,I do not apply the wand to the lashes,I tap the wand in my hand and apply the little white hairs with my finger....I had to experiment a few times before I got it right,if you put a little too much fastlash it wont look right,once you master the technique your lashes will look nice and full and long.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:41 am      Reply with quote
tthagen1 wrote:
I'm just wondering what mascara you are all loving?

Has anyone found the "perfect" mascara?

I love Bobbi Brown No Smudge mascara in black. I sometimes I have a problem with watery eyes and the mascara is waterproof. I never get any smuding or flaking with this mascara.
MrsDowFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
oncloudten wrote:

Find yourself a great pair of fake eyelashes..and learn how to apply them. Or see if Jan Marini's products will work for you!

V

I would really like to wear falsh eyelashes. Everytime I've tried them, my eyelashes just look fake. I don't want them to look fake. I think they take getting use to putting them on as well. Are there any suggestions for applying and what product to use for a novice like me?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
sister sweets...you wont need false lashes if you can get ahold of Jan Marini eyelash intervention.I bouht a tube on ebay for $100. You can still purchase revitalash that works too. I think false lashes always look false and look ridiculous on older women. Grow your own...natural long lashes are possible and look natural and makes any woman look younger and prettier.

I didn't realize this topic was discussed on this thread on page 2. Does this Jan Marini eyelash intervention actually make your eyelashes grow? Pricey stuff; anyone using this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Yes it does however: hair growth goes in cycles so at certain times your lashes will a lot longer than others but overall a big improvement will be seen. Jan Marini pulled it off the market but its still available if you google for it. I bought all of mine off ebay with excellent results.Revitalash does the same thing too.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have full, long dark eyelashes that grow straight down..I have tried everything to curl them but they just won't stay curled. Confused ..drives me crazy...If I wasn't such a chicken I would look into having them permed...
Lou
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
You can get your lashes "permed"so they would be curled for 6 weeks permanently. Just google to find a salon in your area.Make sure you get somebody experienced.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
...Other things I have learned:
Well-groomed brows. Keep the eyebrow pencil and/or shadow lighter vs darker. And use wax or groomer to keep in place.

White Teeth - fresh breath and daily flossing - I am a dental hygienist - actually I teach preventive dentistry and periodontics and having clean, white teeth is our hallmark! I get comments about my smile all the time....

All good points sister sweets!!! especially white teeth and well-groomed eyebrows. Bushy eyebrows age women very much, and white teeth are very important for a bright smile. I used to know an 80-year old woman, sometimes it was just a pleasure to talk to her, and other times nothing special, just a regular 80-year old. When I thought of it, I realized that the difference was in her teeth. When she used fake white teeth it was so pleasant to talk to her, when she did not use fake teeth (and her own teeth were not in a good shape), there was no bright smile effect.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I am really glad I got porcelain veneers,never realized what a difference perfect teeth make. Brows should never be really dark,also if you can go to an Anastasia's salon(most are in Nordstrom department stores) It costs around $30 to get brows done professionally.All Anastasia stylists are trained by her,she is the movie stars brow stylist..Madonna etc..)Your brows will look awesome!It can take years off your face and make you look very polished. They also have brow gels if you dont want to dye your brows. Afterwards I bought her brow kit with stencils and used that to train myself to do my own brows.You dont have to buy the whole kit you can go to Ulta stores and just buy what you want...the stencils etc....I have found Anastacia's stylists to be superior to stylists who have not been trained by her.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Posture and how you walk can really show your age. You can often tell someone's age from a distance, even when you can't see their face/features. It's in the energy and perkiness of how one moves. For example, younger women walk a little faster than older women do and they have a little bounce to their movements. Younger women may slouch when they stand still but not when walking. Older women tend to walk slower, and they slouch a little while walking. There is no bounce; it's more like plod. Older women tend to stand up straighter when standing still, but it's focused more on the straightness of the spine and pulling the low belly in than it is on pulling the shoulders back and down.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:00 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
Yes it does however: hair growth goes in cycles so at certain times your lashes will a lot longer than others but overall a big improvement will be seen. Jan Marini pulled it off the market but its still available if you google for it. I bought all of mine off ebay with excellent results.Revitalash does the same thing too.

There is an interesting article about JM Intervention on The Beauty Brains Website. Titled: Jan Marini Admits It's Age Intervention Eyelash product does not grow hair dated 5-11/07.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I read that and actually wrote them a response.Its so ridiculous! I did NOT imagine my eyelash growth....after using for a couple months I had many people ask me if I was wearing false lashes who never asked that before;also I had to actually trim some of my eyelashes because they got a little too long!
MrsDowFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
I read that and actually wrote them a response.Its so ridiculous! I did NOT imagine my eyelash growth....after using for a couple months I had many people ask me if I was wearing false lashes who never asked that before;also I had to actually trim some of my eyelashes because they got a little too long!

I read a few of the responses, maybe one of them was yours... Razz

Just goes to show you never know what to believe on the internet and to try something and form your own opinion. Thanks for making me look into spending more $$$. Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
As we get older our teeth darken. Bleaching can really brighten your smile and face up. Too white looks ridiculous. For those who are old enough to remember Chicklets....they are for chewing not teeth. Laughing Granted I got off the subject of makeup but bleaching is a cosmetic procedure. Wink
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Well I am loving this board (as I have mentioned before), I will be turning 40 this Saturday and need advice on what my skin care routine should consist of.
I have normal skin with an oily t-zone. I am starting to have crows feet and have the terrible lines between my brow. I also have hyperpigmentation.
This past summer I did a half hearted attempt at Obagi but could not put myself through the red/peeling process.
I am almost done most of my Obagi products and need some recommendation on what to buy/try next....I will continue to use Tozorac in the pm..
any advice would greatly appreciated..
Very Happy

P.S I am thinking of ordering vivier vit C 20 and Cellcosnet Eye contour cream..
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Almost forgot. Embarassed .since I live in South Florida..I will continue to use a good sunscreen daily. Very Happy
Lou
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Jeannine wrote:
Posture and how you walk can really show your age. You can often tell someone's age from a distance, even when you can't see their face/features. It's in the energy and perkiness of how one moves. For example, younger women walk a little faster than older women do and they have a little bounce to their movements. Younger women may slouch when they stand still but not when walking. Older women tend to walk slower, and they slouch a little while walking. There is no bounce; it's more like plod. Older women tend to stand up straighter when standing still, but it's focused more on the straightness of the spine and pulling the low belly in than it is on pulling the shoulders back and down.

You are so right! I never thought about that but you can tell a young person from the back. Older woman have to fight that belly fat and I beleive menopause brings that on and takes away the perkiness and the energy! Boy all the stuff we have to look forward to! We sure take out youth for granted!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |