Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Calling women over 45-makeup tips thatmake you look younger?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Sis, I am sooo not the typical girlie girl, and never was... I'm the jeans, tee-shirt, scrubbed face, hair in pony tail (or the dreaded butterfly clip.. Embarassed ) kind of girl.. I also hate and despise shopping and talking on the phone.. Laughing

DH has been telling me for decades I am one of a kind, and he loves me just the way I am...(He's such a cutie.. )

One of these days I'll whip out the old LH disc, and post a gussied up glamour girl shot..(Don't hold your breath though .. Laughing )[/quote]

Kassy, When I read your post I could have swore you were describing me. I don't wear pony tails but everything else you described is dead on me!! I hate shopping and I especially hate talking on the phone. I love comfortable clothes, especially blue jeans and t-shirts. In fact I only own 1 pair of dress pants and that's only because I needed them for a job interview. I will be buried in my blue jeans. It's nice to know there's someone else out there like me. I think we are few and far between. I also watch the Signature Club A shows but for entertainment purposes only. I love watching Adrienne slap all that stuff on the models. I feel so sorry for them. The way she pulls at their skin. Ouch!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:59 am      Reply with quote
I am actually the same way, Kassy and Keli13. I live in blue jeans and t's. I don't wear make-up, hate shopping, and hate talking on the phone! (I don't do the ponytail, but I do have the "dreaded butterfly clip"! Laughing Maybe there are more of us around than we think!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I am actually the same way, Kassy and Keli13. I live in blue jeans and t's. I don't wear make-up, hate shopping, and hate talking on the phone! (I don't do the ponytail, but I do have the "dreaded butterfly clip"! Laughing Maybe there are more of us around than we think!

I live in jeans (even when semi-dressed up) and do the ponytail and no makeup 95% of the time. But if I go out, I always put on some light makeup (mostly eyes) and the jewelry.

I hate shopping, but I do love talking on the phone. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
keli, by any chance are you a Florida girl too?

Beth + Riley;
Speaking of Florida, where did that "Florida Girls" thread disapear to...Haven't seen it in ages.

Keli, I'm laughing my arse off just thinking about what Adrienne does to those poor models.. I don't use any of her products, but it's so much fun to watch her antics... (Did you ever notice how she keeps peeking at herself in the teleprompter.. Laughing Laughing Laughing )

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:36 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, no I'm not a Florida girl although sometimes I wish I was. I hate the cold!! I live in South Eastern Wisconsin right near Lake Michigan. Everyone was laughing at me yesterday at work because of all the clothes I had on. It was below zero here yesterday and they barely turn the heat on where I work so I try to dress really warm. Yesterday I had on three pair of long underwear (lightweight, medium weight and military weight) plus a sweater and a fleece jacket. I looked 30 lbs heavier but I was so toasty warm all day. I have a seperate wardrobe just for winter. I buy all my clothes a size bigger for the winter so I can fit all my longjohns underneath. I wear alot of layers. I don't mind all the snow were getting (as long as I don't have to snowblow or shovel)but I don't care for the below zero temps. I hope I will make it to Florida someday maybe if I ever get to retire. I would miss the 4 seasons we have here but not that much.

I am so jealous of you girls!!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:52 am      Reply with quote
keli13 wrote:
I live in South Eastern Wisconsin right near Lake Michigan.

My sister lives in Kenosha, WI! I have lived in FL now since 83 and I still miss the 4 seasons! We have 2 seasons in FL; hot and hotter!
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
*bumping* an old thread as I'm nearly in this age range & want to plan ahead... Smile

5 tips on how not to look old here to start us off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ0Q-mUgt7A&feature=related

anyone got any more?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Leave the dramatic eye makeup alone. I have a co-worker who says she loves the smokey eye look but she looks like she just came in from a hard night walking the streets in a rainstorm. The black goes into every crease and wrinkle of her crepey skin.

Leave the very pale lips to the very young. You will end up looking like a cadaver (like Barbara Walters). There are some lovely "your lips but better" colors out there that aren't too bright. Stay away from bright red as well unless you are Snow White or Katy Perry (who are both young).
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:12 am      Reply with quote
I just found this thread, and boy do I need to read this!
I will be 45 this year, and in in clearing out an old bag I found an YSL lipgloss my DH bought me 15 yrs ago, so I thought " lets use this" it was bright glossy red. I wore red a lot, it looked good then.
But now. I looked like the Rocky Horror Show reject, it was brash, harsh, and looked like a real gash on my face.

Sadly it went in the bin.

You are all sooo right at least for me , my skin colour or tone must have changed so this thread is real welcome.

I am now using NCN liquid mineral foundation ( with DMAE) which gives a nice sort of sheen and then just some mascara( black) and then Pale lipstick!!! think I might scare the DH with some of the red stuff when he comes homeLOL
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:03 am      Reply with quote
ditto on the 'dramatic eye look' - my eyelids seemed to crepe overnight as soon as I turned 40 - tbh I struggle with ANY kind of shadow on them now - seems to accentuate the flaws even if it's fairly matte

I found eyelash & brow dye kits a lifesaver, & patting shadow / liner into the base of my upper lashes to give a full/ but not obviously lined effect

Oh & a tinted lipsalve / spf by MAC

I'm currently on Obagi so any face make up is a no no while I'm a flaking freak Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

I live in jeans (even when semi-dressed up) and do the ponytail and no makeup 95% of the time. But if I go out, I always put on some light makeup (mostly eyes) and the jewelry.

Add me to the list, jeans or yoga pants and t-shirt, makeup and "dressy" clothes only for important occasions or dinner out. Hair gets tied or clipped back, the Florida heat may be a contributing factor? Shopping despise it, hate malls especially, Internet shopping rules!

I love talking on the phone depending on WHO I am talking too! Bad Grin

Ms. Adrianne is hysterical to watch, and love the 2 shades fit all foundation deal. Shock Rolling Eyes Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Me too!! I live in jeans, T-shirts & yoga pants. Only dress up when I have to and I hate shopping. I do wear make-up lightly when I go out though and I like talking on phone to certain people.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone else notice that some of these threads are 3+ years old? Laughing

I'm not too concerned with looking older or younger at the moment, but I have just recently decided that less is suddenly more. I think its because my skin started looking smoother and happier (going on the 5-month mark of tretinoin, anyone?).

Although I've always used less makeup compared to most women I know (couldn't imagine using more than a drop of foundation sheered out with a stippling brush, drawing on eyebrows or reshaping features) I'm starting to feel happy with just a bit of mascara (wierd since I never used mascara before, lol) and lipgloss. Rarely even that lightest application of eyeliner, shadow or lipstick. I still won't skip that drop of foundation yet though, but I'm hoping soon..

I just feel like healthy & fresh-faced is something I might finally be able to pull off and I don't want to miss the opportunity!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
I love the book Wakeup Makeup by Sandy Linter and someone else.
http://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Wakeup-Revitalizing-Your-Look/dp/0762439351
I changed my look and feel much better for it. Getting heaps of postive comments so all good!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:14 am      Reply with quote
Well I'm one of those women who can't go out the door without a full kit of makeup on. Even on days when I intend to stay home and do boring things like the ironing, I still go through all the motions.

Now that I'm older though, I definitely take a softer approach. Tinted moisturiser, softer neutral eyeshadow, muted lipgloss - but I still love slapping it all on.

I don't "dress up" because I live in a resort type place where everyone gets around in the least clothes possible. But I do like to have a certain "look". I usually wear rolled up cargo pants, stretchy tops, colourful shoes and ethnic jewellery. I dislike the matronly look but do find it hard to buy clothes because everything is aimed at the youth market but I'm still not ready for a twinset and pearls.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:32 am      Reply with quote
katebargold wrote:
I love the book Wakeup Makeup by Sandy Linter and someone else.
http://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Wakeup-Revitalizing-Your-Look/dp/0762439351

The before and afters show that every woman looks better with makeup -- the right makeup. I love makeup and beauty books. I've just ordered this one after flipping through it online because my coloring and hairstyle is similar to the makeup artist author's.

What is that peachy lipstick the cover model is wearing? Do they mention brands? Of course, since they are constantly discontinuing lipsticks, it may be a hopeless quest.
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:36 am      Reply with quote
Yes after each section eyes;face; lips there ia a long and comprehensive list of preferred brands and the right colours. Bobbbie Brown got a huge wad of my money Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 am      Reply with quote
katebargold wrote:
Yes after each section eyes;face; lips there ia a long and comprehensive list of preferred brands and the right colours. Bobbbie Brown got a huge wad of my money Very Happy

Except cosmetic companies have a habit of constantly discontinuing products and colors. Mad Can't wait to get the book!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Wakeup Makeup just came yesterday and I am pleasantly surprised. It's so much better than I thought it would be, with lots of tips. I plan to buy a black felt tip eyeliner to see how much of a difference it makes.

I still have to read the lip and foundation chapters but have been flipping through the photos of celebs without makeup -- very brave women! Everyone looks better with makeup. The only exception, and it's nothing to do with makeup, is Cheryl Tiegs. She has gained about twenty pounds and got her lips plumped. She looks so bad. Her trademark was her thin lips so that was like Streisand getting a nose job. Just doesn't work.
skincareaddict2011

Wed May 04, 2011 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I have been using I'm Fabulous Cosmetics Vegan mineral makeup on my face, I love it because it feel so silky and I do not break out anymore. I use the ButterSquash foundation color and on my cheek I use the Medium Bronzer to make my cheek look higher and a little suntan. There have a great anti-aging primer full of Vitamins that I use prior to applying my makeup. For my eyes I use
Wasabi Vegan eye color, beacuse it make my green eyes look bigger and it is so light it feels like I have no makeup on.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2011 1:42 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

I like jeans most of the time,but have tons of dressy things.
I have to go to the opera and theatre oftena and quite a few formal thngs.

changing your eye makeup everyday is fun!
But I have no patience for shopping and get bored after going to 2 stores.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I love the tips in this book, Makeup Wakeup! I've thrown out my dark lipsticks. I've gone a shade darker for my foundation and don't match it exactly to my neck. I use concealer after my foundation, not before, and I wind up using less. I bought Almay's black marker pen eyeliner (don't remember the exact name). I always thought black was too dark for me, a pale blonde, but it looks so much better. Per the book, I dot it in my upper lash line, then go over it with dark brown shadow powder for a smoky look that isn't cheap. It really makes my eyes pop (in a good way).

If your library has it, definitely check it out. You might wind up buying it. I want to thank whoever posted about this. I've been wearing makeup since I was 14 and thought I knew everything.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |