Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Looking for moisturizer that will thicken the face skin!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Please advise me. I am looking for moisturizer that will help in thicken my face skin.
I guess i ex foliated my skin allot using glycol peel, vitamin a and sallcylic acid.
Now my skin over face is very thin.
I am looking for moisturizer that will help me achieving that.
If possible kindly list ingredients that I should look for in it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Rita, a few women I know are using a product called Sustiane which is made by ?Bio Medic. From what I understand, it's supposed to do what you're looking for. I saw it for a reasonable price a midwest skincare.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
You may use cellcosmet product such as sensitive day cream and night cream.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
EDS sell both.This is information of this product.

1.Cellcosmet Sensitive Day
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/cellcosmet-sensitive-day-p_398.htm

Description:
Revitalizing cellular daytime skin-care treatment for sensitive and reactive skin. High purity formular without allergene additives to minimize risks of skin allergy. Provides immediate comfort to sensitive skin. Calms and protects the upper layers of fragilised and irritated skin by external influences. Stimulates cell renewal and re-balances natural skin functions. Enriched with vitamins E + C to fight against free radicals. Light and ultra-smooth texture. Excellent make-up foundation. Preserves skin youthful appearance. Softens and smoothes skin texture.

Skin Types:
sensitive, reactive, over 25

Useage:
Apply each morning to the face and neck with light massaging after an accurate cleansing and toning

Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: hydrolyzed keratin, fibronectin, actin

2.Cellcosmet Sensitive Night
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/cellcosmet-sensitive-nigh-p_399.htm

Description:
Revitalizing cellular nighttime skin-care treatment for sensitive and reactive skin. Calms and protects the upper layers of fragilised and irritated skin by external influences. Provides immediate comfort to sensitive skin. Helps minimize the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Nourishes and ensures rich moisturization of the upper skin layers. Enriched with vitamins E + C to fight against free radicals.
Preserves skin youthful appearance. Softens and smoothes skin texture.

Skin Types:
sensitive, reactive, over 25

Useage:
Apply each evening to the face and neck with light massaging after an accurate cleansing and toning
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Members either love Copper Peptides or hate them. I for one believe CP's have helped thicken my mature skin. I do think it would be worth it for you to do some research on CP's. The Skin Biology website has a wealth of information. You can purchase CP's from Skin Biology and also EDS. The good news is CP's are very reasonably priced.

To keep it simple Emu Oil is a wonderful, non-irritating moisturizer. My personal favorite Emu is Dremu.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
KrazyKat
5% products discount

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Im not sure why, but when I use Ystheal lotion (every other night), my skin is definetely alot thicker with this (it did take time to see a difference). It has a very creamy,almost nurturing texture. Not sure if its the retinaldehyde or the squalane or the combo of the two, but my skin loves this.
Favorite

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
I guess all the collegen-contained products could work? I learned recently the immortal essential oil and carrot seed essential oil will also do the work.
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hey All,
Thnx for your reply. I have one confusion.
Most of suggested creme/lotion has vitamin A or retinol as main ingredients.
I used lots of creme with vitamin A or retinol but that makes me peel heavily. So I am wondering that will result in further thinning my skin and how it will help me in thickening it?
Please advise

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
why not have a try on cerave lotion and cream?
Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:56 am      Reply with quote
You might consider using a skin roller such as the Derma Roller. I honestly believe that persistent skin needling has thickened up my skin considerably.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:19 am      Reply with quote
ritas wrote:
Hey All,
I used lots of creme with vitamin A or retinol but that makes me peel heavily. So I am wondering that will result in further thinning my skin and how it will help me in thickening it?
Please advise

You really need to think of the skin as being composed of various layers. Retinoids (including retinol and Vitamin A) will thicken the skin in the sense that they thicken the lower layers of the epidermis. However, they thin the outermost layer of the epidermis which is the stratum corneum. I have a feeling that when you stated that acids (these also thin the stratum corneum), peels and vitamin A thinned your skin you are indicating that they thinned your stratum cornuem. If this is the case then you should repair and strengthen your skin barrier (stratum corneum) and using retinoids would be counterproductive.

Some ingredients that strenghten the skin barrier are niacinamide and a mixture of ceramindes/cholesterol/fatty acids. Petrolatum is also great for repairing acute damage to the skin barrier.

Some products that contain niacinamide are Olay-the Total Effects, Regenerist and Definity lines. Nicomide T Cream has niacinamide but I am not sure that this is still being sold. Nia contains a variant of niacinamide called pro-niacin and would also be a good choice.

Some products that contain a version of the lipid mix that I disussed are the Cerave Cream or Lotion that fleinehhy mentioned. Osmotics also has several products that contain a version of the triple lipid mix. They call their mixture the Barrier Repair Technology and it is found in the following products TriCeram, Cream Extreme and Anti-Radical Age Defense.

Good old Aquaphor is a fine ointment which contains mostly petrolatum and is not cosmetically elegant but I like it as an occaional use product for my face.

I have used or sampled many of the products I mentioned so if you want any additional information let me know.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Some things to consider:

Thinning skin is actually caused by one or more of the following -

Genetics
Sun exposure (UV Rays)
Steroid use
Intrinsic Aging (Natural aging process. Normally begins mid-20's)

Sun Exposure - Just a few moments of exposure each day, over years can cause noticeable changes to the skin. Freckles, age spots, facial spider veins, rough & leathery skin, fine wrinkles that disappear when the skin is stretched, loose skin, blotchy skin complexion, actinic keratoses (thick wart-like rough patches of skin)can all be traced back to sun exposure. Moderate to excessive sun exposure breaks down collagen & elastin fibers in the deep layer of the skin (dermis) over time, skin thins and loses elasticity becoming more fragile.

The best ways to treat thinning skin are -

Supplements - 5-6 grams of collagen + vitamin C
daily. This combination has quite a bit of reliable data and evidence to support the claim most individuals will notice a 30% improvement in skin texture, elasticity, hyperpigmentation, and fine wrinkles after 3 months of continuous use. A few brands to consider are Super Collagen + C by Neocell Labs (250 pills for about $20 at Amazon), Bio-cell (HA & Collagen), Biosil by Jarrow formulas.

Tretinoin (Retin-A), other retinoids.

Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA'S)- Most of the evidence on how AHAs work seems to point to exfoliation and the resulting turnover of new cells in the outer epidermal layer of the skin. There is increasing evidence however, that AHAs may be working at a much deeper level. There may well be increases in procollagen and Type I collagen that occur in the deeper dermis layer brought about by long term treatment with AHAs. One interesting study showed that topical treatment twice a day for 3 months with a 5% glycolic acid cream, at pH 2.8, affected surface and epidermal changes, while the same treatment, but with a 12% cream, reached deeper and influenced both the epidermis and the deeper dermis layer, and resulted in increased epidermal and dermal firmness and thickness. Both showed clinical improvement in skin smoothness and in the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Another interesting study showed that AHAs may thin the outer stratum corneum, but actually end up increasing the overall thickness of the epidermis. This thickening is accompanied by increased synthesis of glycosaminoglycans and collagen . It is becoming apparent that alpha-hydroxy acids may do more than just increase exfoliation and skin cell turnover. (Source of AHA information can be found at labShelf.com)

Moisturizers - Lotions make the skin feel supple, but they won't affect the underlying cells - only the surface layer.

Sorry for being so long winded - HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
ritas wrote:
Hey All,
Please advise

You really need to think of the skin as being composed of various layers. Retinoids (including retinol and Vitamin A) will thicken the skin in the sense that they thicken the lower layers of the epidermis. However, they thin the outermost layer of the epidermis which is the stratum corneum. I have a feeling that when you stated that acids (these also thin the stratum corneum), peels and vitamin A thinned your skin you are indicating that they thinned your stratum cornuem. If this is the case then you should repair and strengthen your skin barrier (stratum corneum) and using retinoids would be counterproductive.

Some ingredients that strenghten the skin barrier are niacinamide and a mixture of ceramindes/cholesterol/fatty acids. Petrolatum is also great for repairing acute damage to the skin barrier.

Some products that contain niacinamide are Olay-the Total Effects, Regenerist and Definity lines. Nicomide T Cream has niacinamide but I am not sure that this is still being sold. Nia contains a variant of niacinamide called pro-niacin and would also be a good choice.

Some products that contain a version of the lipid mix that I disussed are the Cerave Cream or Lotion that fleinehhy mentioned. Osmotics also has several products that contain a version of the triple lipid mix. They call their mixture the Barrier Repair Technology and it is found in the following products TriCeram, Cream Extreme and Anti-Radical Age Defense.

Good old Aquaphor is a fine ointment which contains mostly petrolatum and is not cosmetically elegant but I like it as an occaional use product for my face.

I have used or sampled many of the products I mentioned so if you want any additional information let me know.

Fairlady, the above is what confuzles me to no end. I tend to be more thin skinned naturally and I'm afraid that I will regret the use of aha's someday. I'm not sure what to do.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
you can try Avene.

It works on my friend who also wanna thicken her face skin. Smile
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Bluesheart-

It is all confusing isn't it? For every positive report on a product there is a negative report looming in the distance. Confused

But on the AHA bandwagon...I am really convinced that AHA's will eventually (over a period of months of regular use) thicken the skin. Here is some additional skincare data on AHA usage:

There are two different ways in which alpha hydroxy acids are commonly used: (1) high strength alpha hydroxy acids are used by dermatologists in chemical peels. Several studies convincingly demonstrated that such peels can reverse some signs of skin aging. In a 1996 study at the University of Los Angeles, California, forty five volunteers were treated with 50 percent glycolic acid or vehicle alone. The treatment was applied to one side of the face, forearms and hands for 5 minutes once weekly for 4 weeks. The researchers concluded that "application of 50 percent glycolic acid peels improves mild photo aging [aging due to sun damage] of the skin." Another study conducted at Hahnemann University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, tested a lotion containing 25 percent of glycolic, lactic or citric acid against a placebo lotion. The treatment was continued for 6 month. Alpha hydroxy acids treatment lead to a 25 percent increase in skin thickness, improved quality of elastic fibers and increased density of collagen. The researches concluded that alpha hydroxy acids "produced a significant reversal of epidermal and dermal markers of photo aging."

What do ya think?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:

Fairlady, the above is what confuzles me to no end. I tend to be more thin skinned naturally and I'm afraid that I will regret the use of aha's someday. I'm not sure what to do.

Since it is my post that confused you let me add a few things. My comments were specific to ritas situation. From what she has written I got the impression that she has overexfoliated and compromised her skin barrier. So I mentioned things that she could do to strenghten her skin barrier. If her skin barrier is compromised and thinned from overexfoliating then it has to be repaired first which is why I said that retinoids can be counterproductive. She may be able to use them in the future but would probably be better off repairing her skin barrier first and then gradually reintroducing them.

I am not opposed to retinoids or AHAs. In fact I think that both of these (especially retinoids) are excellent actives with proven anti-aging benefits which include thickening the skin. The drawback to both retinoids and AHAs is that they do thin the stratum corneum. (This thinning of the stratum corneum is the main reason why sun protection is extra important for anyone using acids or retinoids.) Some thinning of the stratum corneum is acceptable especially since it tends to thicken with age anyway. However it is important to not overdo it because the stratum corneum is our skin barrier and if we compromise it our skin suffers. Those of us with thin or sensitive skin need to be especially careful when using actives that can thin the stratum corneum. I have senstive skin myself and use the lowest strenght of RetinA but I have found that with the exception of occasional peels my skin cannot tolerate AHAs. Others might have different experiences. The key is to use these actives in a way that will not harm the skin. If you are using AHAs and your skin is healthy and not irritated then you are probalby not doing any harm. You have to listen to your skin and act accordingly.

Further, the products and ingredients that I have mentioned can be of benefit for anyone using AHAs or retinoids since they can counteract some of the negative impacts that these actives can have on the skin barrier. If you have thin skin or senstive skin then you may want to consider adding some of the skin barrier friendly ingredients to your routine!
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
h.kitty:

Excellent points! Overdoing any product or active is not going to produce a positive result. Like everything else in life - moderation is key.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I found my surface skin got pretty thin after using Obagi, mainly because of the retin-a. When I stopped though, the only thing I thought helped thicken the skin back up was using a vit c serum, one that wasn't too strong!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
BluesHeart wrote:

Since it is my post that confused you let me add a few things. My comments were specific to ritas situation. From what she has written I got the impression that she has overexfoliated and compromised her skin barrier. So I mentioned things that she could do to strenghten her skin barrier. If her skin barrier is compromised and thinned from overexfoliating then it has to be repaired first which is why I said that retinoids can be counterproductive. She may be able to use them in the future but would probably be better off repairing her skin barrier first and then gradually reintroducing them.

I am not opposed to retinoids or AHAs. In fact I think that both of these (especially retinoids) are excellent actives with proven anti-aging benefits which include thickening the skin. The drawback to both retinoids and AHAs is that they do thin the stratum corneum. (This thinning of the stratum corneum is the main reason why sun protection is extra important for anyone using acids or retinoids.) Some thinning of the stratum corneum is acceptable especially since it tends to thicken with age anyway. However it is important to not overdo it because the stratum corneum is our skin barrier and if we compromise it our skin suffers. Those of us with thin or sensitive skin need to be especially careful when using actives that can thin the stratum corneum. I have senstive skin myself and use the lowest strenght of RetinA but I have found that with the exception of occasional peels my skin cannot tolerate AHAs. Others might have different experiences. The key is to use these actives in a way that will not harm the skin. If you are using AHAs and your skin is healthy and not irritated then you are probalby not doing any harm. You have to listen to your skin and act accordingly.

Further, the products and ingredients that I have mentioned can be of benefit for anyone using AHAs or retinoids since they can counteract some of the negative impacts that these actives can have on the skin barrier. If you have thin skin or senstive skin then you may want to consider adding some of the skin barrier friendly ingredients to your routine!

Hi h.kitty, thanks for your answer however my comments were directed to Fairlady's post that I quoted. I must admit that I hear what some people here do to their skin and I'm partially horrified and partially in awe. LOL. I do think you're correct that not overdoing is the key. Thanks again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
fairlady wrote:
Bluesheart-

It is all confusing isn't it? For every positive report on a product there is a negative report looming in the distance. Confused

But on the AHA bandwagon...I am really convinced that AHA's will eventually (over a period of months of regular use) thicken the skin. Here is some additional skincare data on AHA usage:

There are two different ways in which alpha hydroxy acids are commonly used: (1) high strength alpha hydroxy acids are used by dermatologists in chemical peels. Several studies convincingly demonstrated that such peels can reverse some signs of skin aging. In a 1996 study at the University of Los Angeles, California, forty five volunteers were treated with 50 percent glycolic acid or vehicle alone. The treatment was applied to one side of the face, forearms and hands for 5 minutes once weekly for 4 weeks. The researchers concluded that "application of 50 percent glycolic acid peels improves mild photo aging [aging due to sun damage] of the skin." Another study conducted at Hahnemann University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, tested a lotion containing 25 percent of glycolic, lactic or citric acid against a placebo lotion. The treatment was continued for 6 month. Alpha hydroxy acids treatment lead to a 25 percent increase in skin thickness, improved quality of elastic fibers and increased density of collagen. The researches concluded that alpha hydroxy acids "produced a significant reversal of epidermal and dermal markers of photo aging."

What do ya think?

I think I feel better, for now. LOL. I use a bha/aha every other day and while I like what it does for my pores I feel I get better results from glycolics in regards to all over skin appearance. Though, one of my favorite Dr peels was the Bio Medic peel plus which I recently learned is Lactic Acid. Hmmm. Thanks for the further clarification.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart now I am confused!!

You originally quoted my post (perhaps you meant to quote fairlady's instead) and said that you were confused so I thought it best to clarify my post assuming that it had been a source of confusion.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
*sigh* LOLOL. Looks like we're both confused then and I see why. Either way H.kitty, I appreciate your answer and clarification. Looks like I zigged when I should have zagged. Too many days with sick children will do that. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
H.Kitty,
Reading further, I see you're a proponent of the use of Niacin type products for strengthening the skin barrier. I'm even more intrigued by your assertion that petroleum products also repair. I've recently become interested in the Karin Herzog line. When I looked at the ingredient list I was taken somewhat aback due to the mineral oil. After reading your post I think I may go ahead and give a few items in her line a try.

Kimberly

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Kimberly,

Petrolatum aka petroleum jelly does have evidence to show that it does help repair the skin barrier. As for mineral oil and other petroleum based products I don't know for sure. I have not seen any studies specifically showing mineral oil to accelerate barrier repair but then agian I have not seen any which indicate that it impairs barrier repair. (This field is vast and I am by no means an expert so it is very possible that I have missed some research!) That being said, I do think that mineral oil is a beneficial skincare ingredient. It is especially good for senstive skin types since it is very unlikely to cause irritation or allergic reactions. I think that there is some debate over it being comedogenic but overall it seems to be less comedogenic than some natural oils. Does Karin Herzog use Niacinamide in her products?

HK
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
Kimberly,

Petrolatum aka petroleum jelly does have evidence to show that it does help repair the skin barrier. As for mineral oil and other petroleum based products I don't know for sure. I have not seen any studies specifically showing mineral oil to accelerate barrier repair but then agian I have not seen any which indicate that it impairs barrier repair. (This field is vast and I am by no means an expert so it is very possible that I have missed some research!) That being said, I do think that mineral oil is a beneficial skincare ingredient. It is especially good for senstive skin types since it is very unlikely to cause irritation or allergic reactions. I think that there is some debate over it being comedogenic but overall it seems to be less comedogenic than some natural oils. Does Karin Herzog use Niacinamide in her products?

HK

No Herzog doesn't use Niacinamide. At least, not from what I've seen so far. I'm using a few NIA products as I was concerned about the thinning skin issue. Herzog's Vita Kombi cream
does contain retinol. I have been doing some research on Osmosis and PSJ *Pure Skin Junkie* products with a friend and discovered a earlier version of a PSJ product which used Niacinamide. I found that interesting considering it's only in recent years I've noticed the trend to using Niacin.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |