Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

High end cleansers and toners vs. Nutrogena, Olay etc.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Want to get feedback here. I have never invested a lot of money in cleansers and toners. The only time I did is when I worked in Salon and got everything for cost. I have not seen much of a difference in my skin using Nutrogena gentle cleanser vs. a high end product. Am I fooling myself? Do the rest of you think it makes a difference and why?

Winnie
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
You don't have to spend lots of money on cleansers and toners. Your cleanser SHOULD remove all of your makeup without being harsh and leaving your skin dry and irritated. Toners are not necessary if your cleanser is doing its job. As for high and low ends, you'd be kidding yourself if you think high end skin care works better than lower ends. Theres lots of good products at the drugstore.
Mabsy

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
I think both lower-end and higher-end brands have some good AND some bad cleansers. It's a matter of finding one that works for you. I for one am in love with the Dr Hauschka cleanser, it's pricy but well worth it for me. There aren't many alternatives to it (that I know of) apart from Jurlique and Lush 'Angels on Bare Skin'. The Lush is a cheaper version but I think I still prefer the Dr H in the end.
Matherton
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with the whole expensive not being better thing , but i think that sometimes the more expensive brands have higher concentrations of key ingredients...not always though!!!!!.
For me Cetaphil is the best think i've ever found..its cheep and it works.
Strawberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Good post, esp cause I am becoming almost broke. Sad In the low end price products.... well between Neutrogena, Olay, Roc, Loreal....Anyone tried any of these line and found any good products? Please share along with your skin type.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Neutrogena for Senitive skin for some time. I have not noticed any problems with it at all. I can remember years ago my Dermatologist told me Neutorgena makes a good product.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Yup - I use Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin and Cetaphil on occassion but have been using Dove since I was a kid!!!! My toner is good ol' witch hazel! But there is a cleanser by Garden Botanika that looks interesting. I'm itchin to try it.

I do tend to spend more on the prevent,restore, moisturize, etc. stuff tho - i.e. skinceuticals and cellex stuff, and now of course the Alpha Derm.

Maria

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I like the cleanser from Boscia. I order it from their website. I have also used L'oreal for "mature skin" Shock and am not sure I can tell much difference. After all the posts on Dr. H's cleanser from Mabsy I am tempted to try it.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser and have always been happy with it. My skin is normal/combo. I also think the Nivea CoQ10 eye cream is an excellent lightweight smoother for fine lines around the eyes. I have used the Oil of Olay spf 30 daily moisturizer and thought it was a good product but I know the sunscreen is not adequate without constant reapplication.
littlebo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:22 am      Reply with quote
I've also been told that Neutrogena is an excellent product. At the moment I am using the Neutrogena SPF 15 day cream which is really quite nice. I have also used there night cream and used to (about 5 years ago) use their foundation which I really loved. I'd use it again if it wasn't for my JI pressed base.

Also I have just started using (last 2 days) Oil of Olay's Total Effects Night Firming Cream as there were really good reviews on it on makeupalley saying is great for large pores. I swear they are starting to look a bit smaller!! could be wishful thinking though
Mabsy

Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:43 am      Reply with quote
Gaby wrote:
After all the posts on Dr. H's cleanser from Mabsy I am tempted to try it.

Sorry Angel

I do it though! I'm about to start another tube of it and, as of yesterday, I now have two tubes "in stock" Laughing
em
5% products discount

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
i use a combo of cetaphil
gentle cleanser, witch hazel toner, the neutrogena pore refining range and Lush skincare. have not ventured into the high end products yet cos im a poorly uni student...im time...i spend a tiny bit more on anti-aging eye creams tho! gotta have good eye creams i say! the Almay Kinetin eye cream is great, use it morning and night, really picks u up on a tired morning and i found with regualr use it made my lashes thicker as well - it says on the back of the tube that its suppose to condition ur lashes. great great greeeat product! u should always use a toner after u cleanse, i find that no matter how careful i cleanse when i tone with a cotton ball after there's still brown dirt coming off on it. it just makes ur face that little bit cleaner i'd say. witch hazel toner is the best....and its cheap...and effective.
Gingerly
5% products discount

Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've not really found any drugstore cleansers or toners that have really agreed with my skin.They're either to drying, irritating or leave me with spots. I do like good old Pond's for removing makeup though -- so I'm not a complete snob! Laughing
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have to say that the durstore brand has always been harsh on my skin, even the sensitive type brand. I would have to say that there are only few high priced products that work on my skin. I don't know but only $$$ organic plant based products are the only think that work. But i would love to find something cheapt that works. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |