Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do you have to quit BHA's &AHA's if you're using Retin-A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rcascone
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
I just got Tazorac, but still have my IFP BHA liquid and have been thinking about getting the 12% Alpha Hydrox Souffle. Do I have to give one up for the other?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Your skin will let you know if while using the tazorac you will need to quit using AHA/BHA.

I use retin-a in the evening, 5 nights 0.05% then every 6th night 0.1%, and use every morning a 12% AHA cream, and this is the way it works fine for me. You don't want to dry out your skin too much, and to figure out the best for your own skin, you need to experiment.

When I switched from 0.05% retin-a to 0.1% and used the highest strength every night I was peeling like a snake. So, I ended up with this routine and it works fine for me.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more sensitive skin than mine, I can take almost anything, so I am not the best person to give advice on this one though.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Please don't use retin-a cream with aha/bha cream,vit c or Whitening cream.
The important thing is that you must use sunscreen too.
someon who's allergic skin,she may have acne from retin-a.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I use IFP bha/aha in the am and renova in the pm.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
i think you can if your skin could endure.
obviously my skin is not the one.
retin a almost make it trend to be allergic
i keep these products away though i know they could do a lot improvment to my skin
but allergy is a horrible thing
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
There was an article in Allure magazine in December or January and they suggested that you could alternate nights. One night with AHA the next night a retinol product. They said you should not layer one over the other.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:44 am      Reply with quote
The information leaflet that came with my tube of Retinol says not to use any other type of acid along with it. Seeing as how Retinol makes your skin peel, I can't see the point of using an AHA as well. My experience has been that I have had far less irritation from Retin A than with AHA's.
imbossy

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:07 am      Reply with quote
I use retinol 0.5% (i know it's little different) but last year, without knowing, i used AHA glycolic acid face wash and it ruined my skin. given the fact that my skin might have been somewhat thinner than other people but i really didn't expect to strip the surface and burn it off like that!

please be careful. i have scars on my face that i'm still recovering from. so sad but because i have never had any skin problems including acne. Sad

PS: i use vit. c in the morning and i dont have problem with this. i think vit. c is actually helping my skin to produce more collagen so it balances it out if you know what i mean...
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:50 am      Reply with quote
I use retin-A on a clean face (0.05%, Isotrexin), directly followed by LacSal, an exfoliating gel. I do this in the early evening and wash it off after about 3 hours ...

This routine evolved, to get the retin-A and exolfiants in during my routine, but so I can use other stuff in the AM and PM

This seems to be against received wisdom - but my skin looks amazing from this combo ... I get absolutely zero irritation/redness/peeling from it ...

I guess everyone's skin is different (mine usually acts "normal", definitely not rhino skin!), plus the products you are using will make a difference.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:08 am      Reply with quote
ever since starting retinol, i have axed all AHA/BHAs. i remember reading this somewhere but i think that using retinol with AHA/BHA is a bit much for the skin. if the retinol is thinning the epidermis, i don't think that you should be applying AHA/BHA which thins the epidermis even more no matter how tough you think your skin is. it just makes sense to me that you don't combine the two.

if you want to apply products that contain AHA/BHA, i would discontinue your retinol/retin-a and wait a couple days for your epidermis to thicken.

kris

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:33 am      Reply with quote
higig wrote:
Please don't use retin-a cream with aha/bha cream,vit c or Whitening cream.
The important thing is that you must use sunscreen too.
someon who's allergic skin,she may have acne from retin-a.

Why can't you use Vit C?

I do Retin A at night and Vit C in the morning. No problems.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I started Retin-A back in December and have been applying Vit C in the mornings and Retin-A 0.025% in the evenings without problems. But I have been hesitant about AHA/BHA, since I was concerned about negative side effects of the Retin-A AHA/AHA combo and did not use acids at all.

It sounds the majority supports the use of Retin-A without AHA/BHA. Is it correct?
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I would stop all acids until a later date, unless you have very resistant skin.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends. I use all. I use Taz and AHAs only at night. I do peels with AHAs every other week. I also sometimes use an AHA/BHA wash. I also use the AHA body cream (DDF sold here is great for me) every night and on my hands with Taz. I always use a good sunscreen because of enhanced sun sensitivity. Although my skin is reasonably light and somewhat sensitive I do not have a redness problem.

I wouldn't start anything new without diluting and starting slowly. The only problems I've had (initially with AHAs) is once something looks like it is working doing it too often or too high strength. I think you need to find what is best for your skin by trial and error and stop if you get redness or sensitivity.

I have to say that between my roller, AHAs and Taz my hands look great (scars and brown spots gone and skin thicker so my veins are not so visible). I do not think that would have been possible without the combo.
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I use Renova .05 every night, and then I will use 2% BHA every 3 nights or so, and the AHA souffle 8% I think, every other morning. You have to just wait until your skin adjusts to the Tazorac before you start adding in the other products, GO SLOWLY!!!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |