Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
NEW Obagi Blender and Clear?!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Did all you Obagi users see the 2 new Obagi products:
Obagi Blender FX and Clear FX? (available here on EDS)

They claim to brighten the skin WITHOUT hydroquinone. I wonder if they work. I'm a bit skeptical.
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Found this on WIKI:
Arbutin is both an ester and a glycoside; a glycosylated benzoquinone extracted from bearberry plant in the genus Arctostaphylos. It inhibits tyrosinase and thus prevents the formation of melanin. Arbutin is therefore used as a skin-lightening agent. Arbutin is also found in wheat, and is concentrated in pear skins.

It is glycosylated hydroquinone (whatever that means!)
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm...thanks for bringing it up! Going to look now!

Looks like the kept the formula the same but substituted the hydroquinone? I wonder if it's as effective? Arbutin is an ingredient in a lot of other whitening formulas that I have found is not as effective as the original Obagi Clear....

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting! I'll be curious to hear how they compare to the regular Clear and Blender. Anyone who tries these please keep us posted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me why Hydroquinone is an ingredient to be careful of. I know I could google it but with 3 children at home..my time is limited Smile
lou
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
lou, there is some evidence that HQ can act as a carcinogen. It was a while ago that I researched this stuff, but I think the studies used a much higher % of HQ, way over the 4% of Obagi. HQ has supposedly been banned in several other countries already. But, I read (again this was a while ago) that it was really not "banned" per say, they could still get it from a doctor, just not over-the-counter. There was a huge discussion on this. Bottom line, everyone has to make their own decisions on what is safe for themselves.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 am      Reply with quote
In addition to what rileygirl said..I believe the idea the HQ was unsafe because people from other countries were using it in large quantities at a high percentage (I think it was double digit percents) that led to some side effect that which I forgot the name of but ultimately it was severe hyperpigmentation of some sort...after I researched this realized the side effect was very rare and only occured because of their unsafe usage of the product. Any HQ we get now OTC would not have that high of a % anymore...it's only 2% or 4% mostly now.

So, anyone tried this new formulation yet?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:33 am      Reply with quote
Got this off SmartSkincare.com, an interesting read. I wonder if Obagi is using actual Arbutin or a plant extract.

"Arbutin
While some promoters hail arbutin as a completely novel skin-lightening agent, it is actually hydroquinone in disguise. Arbutin is glycosylated hydroquinone (b-D-glucopyranoside derivative of hydroquinone to be exact), i.e. its molecule consists of hydroquinone connected to glucose. It is believed to work by slowly releasing hydroquinone through hydrolysis, which, in turn, suppresses melanin synthesis by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase. Arbutin appears to have fewer side effects than hydroquinone at similar concentrations - presumably due to the more gradual release. The range of arbutin concentrations reported in the literature is 3-7%.

Arbutin clearly has some pigmentation reducing effect. Yet, it remains unclear how well it stacks up against hydroquinone and what the equivalent concentrations (in terms of effectiveness) of these two agents might me. Arbutin appears to be gentler than hydroquinone as far as typical side effects like skin irritation are concerned. However, it is unclear whether the concerns recently raised regarding hydroquinone (risk of ochronosis and possible cancer risk) may apply to arbutin as well.

Finally, due to patenting issues, many skin care companies use arbutin-containing plant extracts (such as bearberry, blueberry, cranberry and other extract) instead of pure arbutin. Whether such products contain sufficient amount of arbutin is unclear. Even if they do, it is unclear whether arbutin in plant extract is equipotent to standard arbitin. (For example, plant extracts may contain other substances interfering with absorption or activity of arbutin).

All in all, arbutin appears to be a promising hydroquinone alternative, but many uncertainties remain."

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I am hoping someone tries these 2. I am starting a trial with Cellbone lightener, so I don't want to buy anything else. Funny, though, I can't find these 2 items anywhere but EDS. Has anyone else tried a search for these 2 products?

I would also be interested in if Obagi has done some studies with these 2 products.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Rileygirl, I might try this, when I'm done the rest of my old nu-derm bottles. I started up again like I told you, because I lost all the results due to my underperforming s/s!! All my freckles, age spots and acne scars sort of came back so I'm hoping to use Obagi every day until I use up all the bottles and then get this new one. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do the full 18 weeks (I'm hoping I won't need to since I've done it before!!) cuz I'm going to the sunny caribbean in May!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Keep me posted if you are going to try it, Kareberry. (I am hoping the Cellbone product will take care of the few remaining freckles I have - so I will keep you posted on that) Lucky you going to the caribbean! I am jealous. Very Happy
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone else try the new ones yet???? I would like to hear about your comments on the NEW Obagi Blender and Clear FX.
Thanks.

beeb wrote:
Did all you Obagi users see the 2 new Obagi products:
Obagi Blender FX and Clear FX? (available here on EDS)

They claim to brighten the skin WITHOUT hydroquinone. I wonder if they work. I'm a bit skeptical.
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I am interested too in these item ,as I could never do obagi... maybe these are gentler
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
By now, has anyone tried the Obagi Clear and Blender with Arbutin? How does the psuedo-hydroquinone compare with hydroquinone? Anyone?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:47 am      Reply with quote
not yet but Iam going to check the Obagi website and see if they have it and what they say.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Where are they? I can't find them in EDS site..
DStats19
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
extensive use of hydroquinone can increase the risk of skin cancer. its really not worth using for the sake of beauty.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 am      Reply with quote
only if you use high % that is why it is banned in Europe people were using 10-20% 4% has no effect I just went to a Obagi seminar on this subject

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:11 am      Reply with quote
True, that. DStats -- read the entire thread.

For those who worry about hydroquinone or DMAE or GABA or talc or TD or anything else. Do you really think, in our uber litigious society, any company would include a questionable ingredient if studies showed it to be harmful? Class action suits -- and individual law suits, for that matter -- are at an all-time high. Companies have no wish to walk into them.

Too much WATER can kill you, people. And yet, I drink it every day. And intend to continue. . .

Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Isn't applying 4% hq 3 times(blender+clear+sunfader) the same as applying 12%?

yes?? no??
Kerryshka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:00 am      Reply with quote
no the % is not cumulative at all - you're basically just using the same % but across a couple of formulations. conside this - if you apply 1 gm of clear at 4% hq, do you get 8% hq if you apply 2 gm? no. remember fractions? the numerator (amount of hq) increases, but the denominator (the amount of other ingredients) also increases so the overall % remains the same.
Jeffiner13
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
I am using the Clear Skin Brightening......so far so good. I have only been using it for a few weeks now. My Dr. said to use this after the full Obgai Nuderm treatment because she doesn't like to use hydroquinone for longer than 4 months at a time.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Jeffiner13 wrote:
I am using the Clear Skin Brightening......so far so good. I have only been using it for a few weeks now. My Dr. said to use this after the full Obgai Nuderm treatment because she doesn't like to use hydroquinone for longer than 4 months at a time.

What is this product, Jeffiner? Is it from Obagi, or another line?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
I would like to know too! I'm currently on Obagi maintenance and so I'm still using Clear with hydroquinone 2-3 times a week. I've worked so hard to get rid of the hyperpigmentation so it's important to me to use products that will keep it at bay. Thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I think I'm going with the non HQ blender and clear. Can I add the condition and enhance other products #1 2 4 and 6 instead of nu derm??
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |