Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Blonde highlights
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
maryshopper
5% products discount

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
What is the best overcounter product to buy for light blonde highlights. I find they are not strong enough and produce yellow highlights. When they are done at the salon they are white.
agee
5% products discount

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
If you are getting too yellow results, try using 30 or 40 volumn peroxide. It will "lift' more than (usually standard) 20 vol. Good luck.
amybrown
5% products discount

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi Maryshopper! I am also a bottle blonde but I would recommend going and getting highlights done professionally. When you dye your own hair you can do it unevenly, the color can turn out very "not the blonde you were hoping for" and it can turn into a mess! Find yourself a colorist you like and go to him!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:15 am      Reply with quote
Yes, doing your own highlights is extremely difficult. I've tried most of the home highlighting kits and have found them pretty similar - and yes, they are all quite yellow. Using a toner afterwards can help. For my last attempt I tried a 30 volume bleach - complete and utter disaster. I had to go to the hairdressers to get it fixed so I recommend staying with the kits.
Northerngirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Maryshopper - If the hi-lites are turning white do one of 2 things..... 1st - Go back to the hairdresser and discuss the problem with them and see how he/she can solve the problem. If they can't you should be receiving a refund. 2nd - find a new hairdresser asap.
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:44 am      Reply with quote
The bleaching product my colorist puts on my hair for light wheat-blonde highlights is a purple color which helps couteract all the yellow and red that would otherwise come out. She always does a great job but I'm afraid if I tried to try it home since I've had so many hair coloring disasters before. One safer alternative that works for me when my highlights start fading and turning a little brassy is to use the purple Clairol Shimmerlights shampoo and conditioner. This has a similar effect of cancelling out the golden and red tones on light blonde hair but isn't as extreme as putting purple bleach on your own hair. Smile If you still want to do your own highlights you might use this afterwards to help counteract the unwanted yellow tones.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Yes, doing your own highlights is extremely difficult. I've tried most of the home highlighting kits and have found them pretty similar - and yes, they are all quite yellow. Using a toner afterwards can help. For my last attempt I tried a 30 volume bleach - complete and utter disaster. I had to go to the hairdressers to get it fixed so I recommend staying with the kits.

Well, I'm back to doing my own highlights - can't stand the cost of going to the hairdressers. Anyway, I think I've finally got it down to a fine art. I'm now using 20 volume bleach and a streaking cap. Pulling out the strands of hair is a real pain (especially if you have no-one to help) but it's worth the effort. I mix up the bleach and apply it with a brush, then cover with foil. Wait the prescribed time, usually about 40 mins and wash off in the shower. Then I apply a toner.

This method using the streaking cap has proved successful because it's impossible to bleach too much hair. In fact, a women asked me yesterday "Who does your hair, I love the way it's been streaked!" She was very surprised and impressed when I told her I did it myself. So now I have more money to spend on injecting foreign substances in my face!!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I do my own highlights and coloring. Sometimes I splurge and go get it done, but wheeww, the cost is just hard to swallow. I pull my hair through the cap, strand by strand which does take time and patience. Once you have done it a few times it becomes easier. I then use blond highlight creme with a blue booster, that way my strands are really really blond, because the rest of my hair is dirty blond, so I want them to stand out. I rinse my hair in the shower and it comes out great. People comment on my hair and are surprised when I tell them I do my own.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:12 am      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
I then use blond highlight creme with a blue booster, that way my strands are really really blond, because the rest of my hair is dirty blond, so I want them to stand out.

Could you tell me exactly what products you use.
TIA
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer to have it done at the salon.

I have done it at home using a kit such as Revlon Frost n Glow or the L'oreal one. This is basically bleach and I leave it on the maximum time. I am dark blonde now. Probably a level 6. Haircolour won't lift enough; I need bleach. I use the cap and have my DH do the back.

For toning I like Ardell Colour corrector drops from Sally. It is called "Red Gold Corrector". It is in a small box and you get lots of applications from the bottle.

I also use a "blue violet" shampoo like Shimmer Lights but I think this is more concentrated. You can add it to shampoo, conditioner or right to the colour mixture.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |