Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Sensitive skin..can I use things that are naturally scented?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Unscented or Scented skincare?

No Scent
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Naturally Scented
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Fragrance (Parfum)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:42 am      Reply with quote
My skin seems to be sensitive to brands that contain "fragrance" or "parfum" on the labels and I wandered if that means that I should also avoid ones with natural scents like essential oils? I have been eyeing up some toners that sound so nice because they contain ylang ylang, neroli, and rose. Truth is, I appreciate an unscented product and can usually get past the not so pretty smell for the benefits they give me, but if I can use any that are naturally scented, or maybe add some e/o's myself I would really like to. I have no problem with fragrance on the body but just can't do most of them on the face.

Do you all prefer unscented products or do you you like them scented? And what unscented or naturally scented brands do you like the best for sensitive acne prone skin that is now dry?

I just love the way upscale products make me feel when I apply them but they just don't seem to agree. Sad

Any advice would be great!

TIA!

Heather Smile
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I prefer unscented. I have sensitive skin. I have older skin. I love Babor Calming Sensitive products, Mild cleanser. La Roche-Posay Toleriane unscented products are good too.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Certain essential oils in low concentrations can be beneficial to dry skin like german chamomile, roman chamomile, rose otto, rose absolute, geranium, lavender, neroli, jasmine and sandlewood.

For sensitive skin EO like rose otto, rose absolute, melissa, neroli, helichrysum, german and roman chamomile. Its a good idea to test a bit on the inner elbow overnight to check for sensitivities.

I would also check if parabens are a cause too. At least for me when I eliminated it from my skincare my face stopped burning and being red.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'd personally avoid them all, we don't know enough about essential oils yet. There's new research every month and some of it is scary, and some of it is good.
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:08 am      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
Certain essential oils in low concentrations can be beneficial to dry skin like german chamomile, roman chamomile, rose otto, rose absolute, geranium, lavender, neroli, jasmine and sandlewood.

For sensitive skin EO like rose otto, rose absolute, melissa, neroli, helichrysum, german and roman chamomile. Its a good idea to test a bit on the inner elbow overnight to check for sensitivities.

I would also check if parabens are a cause too. At least for me when I eliminated it from my skincare my face stopped burning and being red.

Thanks for your advice! I have heard many claims about EO's being beneficial for lots of different skin conditions and only recently am trying to learn about the different types. I never really considered parabens as the culprit for my redness and burning but it seems that most of the fragranced products I used were preserved via this method..hmmm..interesting.
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:10 am      Reply with quote
doohicus wrote:
I prefer unscented. I have sensitive skin. I have older skin. I love Babor Calming Sensitive products, Mild cleanser. La Roche-Posay Toleriane unscented products are good too.

Thanks so much for sharing with me these products! Very Happy
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:15 am      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:
I'd personally avoid them all, we don't know enough about essential oils yet. There's new research every month and some of it is scary, and some of it is good.

I wonder why after all these years of EO's being used we have no clear cut evidence of their safety or potential harm? It seems to be that companies would research these "natural" forms of fragrance since they do sound more appealing then a synthetic fragrance. Although, I'm quite sure the chemical versions are probable much less expensive! I've been just looking at companies who sell EO's and I'm actually pretty surprise how pricey. Rose Otto..WOW! Shock

Thanks for your advice though, maybe it best just to stick unscented. But do you ever notice how sometimes these type of products just leave an unpleasant after-smell? I guess that is the price for beauty we must pay! Laughing
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:32 am      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:

Ok,this is a bit funny-we have used essential oils for thousands of years and "we don't know enough about essential oils yet"? Laughing

After thought-don't you think that after thousands years of use someone would notice that some oil is killing them or doing great harm to their body?
Waterfordgirl32
5% products discount

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Jouviance for a few months now and I am impressed. No fragrance, free of parabens and it's great for my sensitive skin.
I think that will be the key for me when buying products.
I got a whole line of Aveda (sensitive skin) skin care products for xmas but unfortunately after using them for a month, my face was itchy, red and was breaking out. I don't have bad acne, but this was more than usual and my spa lady told me to stay away from a lot of essential oils.
Went to Shoppers Drug Mart and the lady highly recommended Jouviance for me and I'm glad she did. Good price too, I'd like to try their moisturizers but that is a significant increase in price. For now I use Aloe Vera Gelly (99%) at night mixed in with either Emu Oil or Camellia Oil. In the morning it's my aloe vera serum (body shop), sunscreen and MMU.
Amazing how overtime you develop intolerances to ingredients in products. Never had a problem with them till about 5 years ago and it's a neverending quest to find good products.
Good luck doodlebug, I know exactly what you're going through.
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Indeed, I would avoid all scent if your skin is having a sensitive episode. Goodluck, I am having similar problems right now Crying or Very sad
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
irka wrote:
edenfield wrote:

Ok,this is a bit funny-we have used essential oils for thousands of years and "we don't know enough about essential oils yet"? Laughing

After thought-don't you think that after thousands years of use someone would notice that some oil is killing them or doing great harm to their body?

well considering we just found out recently that linanool is cytotoxic, i don't think it's funny at all personally :/

there really isn't enough scientific research on it. there's a lot of anectodal and traditional knowledge, but they didn't have the techniques and scientific methods we have now.
Frangipani
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
For sensitive skin I would suggest unscented products.

If there is a product you really want to try - try a patch test and see how your skin reacts.

Sometimes my skin reacts unexpectedly to products that I expect to be safe and then has no problems with products that are scented. It's all individual (and confusing at times).
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I got a unscented cleanser and lotion and added my own blend of EO for dry and sensitive skin. LOW amounts of EO are okay but you need to test it on your skin to make sure you can handle it.

I noticed great improvement with my skin with rose, geranium, sandlewood mix. The natural scent of the lotions was kind of not my cup of tea so I was glad to hide the smell.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Nearly every problem I have had with an allergic reaction on my face has been due to products with essential oils in them. I have always preferred to use organic/natural products, but my facial skin just doesn't like them at all. I am able to use them on my body with no consequences though. I think essential oils are very valuable when used in aromatherapy, but I think they do more harm than good when applied topically. Just my 2¢.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |