Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best treatment for keratosis pilaris (chicken skin)???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marmys
5% products discount

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:06 am      Reply with quote
I have keratosis pilaris on my arms and would love to know what others with this condition have successfully used to treat it.

Thanks in advance!!
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:28 am      Reply with quote
oh wow iv had this on my arms too for like 5-6 years now since i was maybe 14-15 years old it appeared. I never knew what the hell the way until i googled what you typed here. AL this time i been just thinking i need to keep exfoliating the area and that will get rid of this bumpy skin how wrong i was. I am totally interested in what could treat this condition tooo as this stops me from wearing sleeveless tops although i get away with sleepveless now and then i just dont care sometimes but i would prefer to have gotten rid of the problem al together..... Would a peel perhaps fix this?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:42 am      Reply with quote
well KP causes the follicles to exfoliate in the wrong direction. Instead of pushing dead cells out they are pulled in which causes the bump. Many people find that chemical exfoliation lotions (like AmLactin and others) can help reduce the bumps.
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried it, but gardenofwisdom sells a KP kit.
http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/4019949/5457421.htm

I think dermadoctor sells a kp product as well.
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
My best friend had this and wanted to get rid of it for her wedding so I gave her a Neostrata 10% body lotion to try and it is almost gone now and I gave it to her at Christmas time. She uses it twice a day and I would recommend it to anyone!
oncloudten
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Haven't used it myself, but dermadoctor.com has a scrub and moisturizer just for this problem...even has the Good Housekeeping Seal!!
(is that as good as the EDS seal of approval??!! Laughing )

V
marmys
5% products discount

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much guys! I will be looking into all these great suggestions!
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Did you end up trying the GOW KP kit?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
As far as I know there isnt a UK equivalent to AmLactin... it would be great if EDS sold something for KP.

I've been using my clarisonic with sea buckthorn soap for KP, and my skin is much smoother, but still a bit red and blotchy, which I hate.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
This is weird, but a couple years ago I was prescribed topical Clindamycin lotion to solve KP. I was surprised by how well it worked! However, I don't like some of the scary ingredients in it, so I prefer to go with an exfoliating product.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Loofah every day in the bath helps me.
The Lactic Acid lotions just smell so sour.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I just bought the Neostrata 10% glycolid acid body lotion at the drugstore...plus St. Ives apricot scrub. I'll post my results in a few months!

Maybe I'll even take before after pictures although...it's not going to look pretty. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Does anybody have this on their face too? Really want to know.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Avene Eluage Body Lotion and that helped a bit, along with the usual body exfoliation. It seems though that you have to keep up with whatever regime you're using because nothing 'cures' it as such. I started using the Dermanew Crystal Microdermabrasion Soap and that's helped as well, along with a good AHA/BHA Body lotion.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Philosophy has something called Chicken Skin just for that. I haven't tried this product personally, but I have tried a lot of Philosophy products that I'm impressed with. Check it out.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Over the years I have tried many different products for KP. What I have found to work the best for this is:

1) an exfoliant made from salicylic acid (BHA) BIG, big difference w/ BHAs on KP.

Paula's Choice even reported on this and stated the same thing that I found out on my own. A BHA will get INTO the pores to open them up. This will release the plug and help to eliminate the bumps.

I have used Keralyt 6% gel (Rx only). It is also available in 3% online. You may also use a 2% BHA that is found in many different places (love the Paula's Choice one).

2) In Paula's report, she also mentioned a bacteria that is found in KP and said using a benzoyle peroxide will help with that. No more than a 2.5% is needed for that.

Thirdly - add a biological healing oil to this. You need some added moisture and Emu Oil works great.

Finally - CPs (copper peptides) might also help w/ this. I just started using them for my face and have read so much info off of Skin Biology's website. They say their CPs will help KP. (I will believe this as it's helped w/ some other skin issues I have).

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I suggest you to consult with a dermalogist as everyone's skin may be different.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
I happened to have consulted w/ a derm on this myself.

His suggestion was urea lotion (tried it - didn't work), AmLactin lotion (so-so results) and the Keralyt lotion. Tried the first 2 for a while before I ventured onto the Keralyt.

The Keralyt (or BHA) does a better job then the AHAs like AmLactin or Lactic or Glycolic Acids. The AHA's will work only the top portion of the skin and exfoliate differently then the BHAs which go deeper.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a great article on this, along with Dermadoctor's product recommendations.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter51.asp?WID=%7B94B5F403%2D7A06%2D489F%2DBB4B%2D64F017B933BD%7D

I personally use Retin A once a week to help with exfoliation, and it has eliminated mine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Here's Paula's comment on KP. She believes that BHAs work better then the AHAs.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=376

From my own experience (and I've treated KP for a LONG time, now), I've found the BHAs to work better then the Lactic acid, Retin A/Tazorac, or Urea Cream. Those all did provide me some relief, but I just found the BHA to work best for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I think laser treatment can fix it.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I was just about to ask about KP and found this thread. I blame the London weather but I had this bumpy skin on my arms last year and now it is all over my thighs! HATE IT!!!!!!!
Did not know what it was so I just kept exfoliating which did not do much good. I thought it was from pollution or dry skin etc So now it has a name, keratosis pilaris. Vile. I hoped I could just take a pill and get rid of it but all research says that nothing helps. Shock But this is EDS!!! There is a cure here for everything. I am going to try dermadoctor KP Duty and see if it improves. I am panicking as it really looks awful on my legs - kind of like razor bumps but the worse thing is the way it feels!!! Horrible like sandpaper. Arrggghhhh Do post if anything works dramatically well for any of you. If the KP duty does not work I will see a dermatologis

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 2:38 am      Reply with quote
I have just started using Paula's Choice 2% BHA body lotion, and am seeing a big improvement, already.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 4:45 am      Reply with quote
I agree with everyone that regular exfoliation will help keep it under control.

I personally use Lac-Hydrin
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I agree with everyone that regular exfoliation will help keep it under control.

I personally use Lac-Hydrin

I also like Lac Hydrin. I have been using it for years for winter itchy legs (recommended by MD). Recently I have started using it after epilating my legs. Excellent over the counter product!!!! Lactic acid to date is my favorite acid which is the ingredient in Lac Hydrin.. Smile

I highly recommend dry brushing prior to your shower. You skin will look lovely plus it feels so good.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |