Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best treatment for keratosis pilaris (chicken skin)???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Holmes wrote:
This is part of an article that appeared in the medical page of today's Daily Mail:-
KP is diificult to remove with creams and exfoliation because they are partly due to genetic factors and diet. ...............
KP develops when there is an excess build-up of keratin within skin follicles. This occurs because of a lack of sebum, the natural protective oil which lubricates the skin.
Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are vital in the production of sebum....inadequate sebum levels allow the skin to dry out and become damaged.
Eat more EFAs - oily fish, eggs, walnuts etc. etc......

Really? I did hear that EFAs can help but I find it hard to believe that it is caused by a lack of sebum? I am a one woman sebum factory and I have a real issue with KP.
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 16, 2009 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Regular application of Retin-A to the area - used in conjunction with low-pH fruit acids - completely got rid of mine.
Minimunny
5% products discount

Mon May 25, 2009 2:43 am      Reply with quote
I have it too, quite bad, on upper arms and from the waist down to my feet. It's genetic and cannot be "healed", just kept in control.
My KP is really bad right now and I've tried tons of stuff. I only use very mild homemade organic soaps (partly with Avocado oil), but that doesn't really help. Every scrub or exfoliator might temporarily help, but in the end, exfoliation only stimulates the skin to produce more cells - which might worsen the condition in the long run. But doing nothing is not an option either.
Does anyone have KP with white keratin plugs which can be scratched off?
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 3:45 am      Reply with quote
"Chicken skin" KP on my thighs and arms has improved significantly (75%)over a 2 month period by dry-brushing and daily application of 12% Ammonium Lactate cream.
Not only did the small light tan bumps (seemingly at every follicle) disappear but other discolorations either improved or went away, and my skin is smooth as silk again. Because of my success with 12% AM on my body, I am going to try it on my face to help age-related discolorations.
Daily Routine:

1. Dry brush entire body
2. Shower
3. After towel-drying rub 12% AL anywhere you need to see improvement.

Derm recommends rubbing the cream in thoroughly, not just a pass over the skin. Rubbing forces the cream in deeper. In the US 12% AM cream is by prescription only, and I'm not sure of the cost because I got free samples.
Whatever it costs would be worth every cent to me!
Minimunny
5% products discount

Mon May 25, 2009 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Glad you found something that helped you, Determined! I'm still on the lookout for something which is really worth the money. neostrata 15% did very little for me, and it doesn't get much stronger OTC. I think 12% AM would be prescription only here, too, but I might look into that.
What definitely helps is exposing the affected skin to the sun, esp. after a bath in the sea, but that's not always possible and has its sideeffects, of course.

Again my question: Does anyones skin kind of break out in white plugs in the bumpy skin? It seems to get worse when I use a rather rich body lotion.
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi Minimunny. I sometimes get white bumps called "milia" (search eds site to learn more)
I get rid of them by taking a pin and pricking the top layer of skin and popping out a hard white ball that appears to be a calcium deposit of some kind. I have been doing this for years on my face with no problems. This technique would NOT work on fatty type deposits.
Minimunny
5% products discount

Tue May 26, 2009 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Determined! I was thinking about Milia at first, but the plugs are definitely fatty. They are part of the KP, I guess they develop because of the blocked pores, but I have never really heard anyone having KP complain about this.
Any suggestions are very much apreciated!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |