Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
good sunscreen for the face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I am looking for a sunscreen or sunblock that doesn't look white when applied to asian skin. I bought L'oreal Solar Expertise Cream SPF 60 for the face and also Simple Sun Block cream SPF50 and once applied to my face...i look like a ghost. I did try the L'oreal Solar Expertise sunscreen on the back of my hand in the shop (Boot's)..........and my hand looked okay....but when i got home and put it on my face............my face just looked artificially whitish.

I am looking for a cream that sinks into my skin, and looks natural, with an spf factor of 40+.

The instructions on the L'oreal did state 'water resistant, does not leave white streaks'..........i paid £11 for it and now that i have opened the package......Boot's will not let me return it.......so i have just wasted £11.

Any suggestions..........thanks in advance.

regards

Kay
littlebo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Thats really strange because Boots usually let you take things back. If you told them it caused a reaction they would probably take it back.

Also try ringing the manufacturer. They should refund you.

I asked a similar question a while ago, although I'm not Asian. Siesaido was suggested, so I'm going to go and buy mine soon!!

I'm not 100% sure but I think the ingredient titanium dioxide leaves that whitish look. I was using Clinique city block and realised after a couple of weeks that I looked quite pale with it! I looked at the ingredients and hey presto!! Titanium dioxide!!
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Littlebo...........i know that some of the sunscreen's and sunblocks state on the packets that they don't leave a whitish look..........but they do.........and from now on .......i will look to see if they have that ingredient and try and get one without Titanium Dioxide.

I think that Boots refused to give me a refund because i went into a local branch........and the assistant turned around and said......'you don't look as if you've had an allergic reaction to the product'.

It just means that without a good sunscreen, i can't start my skinceutical phyto + treatment yet.....because you have to wear a good sunscreen during the day........thanks again

I would really appreciate some brands and names of products......in the mean time i'll check out Ssheido..............i think i've spelt that wrong.......regards Kay Rolling Eyes
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Littlebo.........i just checked out the ingredients of the L'oreal solar exertise........and the 3rd ingredient is Titanium Dioxide...........at least i'm a bit wiser now.........i'll stay clear from this ingredient..............regards Kay
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Littlebo......what about 'Zinc Oxide'...that's found in the Skinceuticals sun care range??
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:25 am      Reply with quote
littlebo............just came across a website that lists all the ingredients in their products .............check it out http://www.bce-europe.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_25_104&products_id=263&osCsid=544d237cf79189ba9062cca1730edf67

regards Kay
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:35 am      Reply with quote
My favorite sunscreen is Jan Marini Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 30. Don't know if she has a 40+. I first started using it 5 years ago. It is the best one I have used. Awesome moisturizer, antioxiant and sunscreen in one.
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi Winnie............does it contain Titanium Dioxide..........nearly every sunscreen i have looked at so far contains this ingredient.

regards Kay
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:07 am      Reply with quote
You know I am not sure. I am not home and don't have the product in front of me. Check out ES and Jan Marini perhaps it say. If not email ES and ask them. I have never had a problem with TD so I really did not pay attention.

All I know is that its smooth as silk on you face and good for it. They could not keep it in at the salon I used to work at.
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Winnie........i don't have any problem with Titanium Dioxide either..............it's just that it leaves a whitish effect after smoothed into the skin..........i mean really an artificial look .........not a natural one...........if you see what i mean..........regards Kay
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Lots of people swear by the La Roche Posay for their sunscreen. It has a 60 spf and that ingredient that starts with "m" that you can't get in the states, but is supposed to be better than Titanium Dioxide.

You can order it on a Canadian Website - I think it's about $45, but from what I hear, it's clear and greaseless, feels great on, and leaves no white pasty face!!!

I use Skinceuticals Ultimate spf 30. Love it.

Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I saw the ingreidients on the above website i told littlebo about.............and from the ingredients list.........it does contain Titanium Dioxide..............i have decided to try out the Liz Earle Sun care range which only has a protection of SPF12+

I thought about Decleor Ambre Solaire......which is an oil for the face........not sure about that.

I think, being asian.....and looking at all these sun care products.......they might induce a tan.......rather than prevent one.....or am i wrong.........because the decleor range.......seems to help people trying to get a tan.

And i don't really want a tan......just sun protection

regards Kay
WhiteLotus
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
Lots of people swear by the La Roche Posay for their sunscreen. It has a 60 spf and that ingredient that starts with "m" that you can't get in the states, but is supposed to be better than Titanium Dioxide.

The "m" word is Mexoryl. Unfortunately, Mariav is correct you cannot find any sun protection products with this key ingredient in the states (yet). I have read reviews on MUA that the La Roche Posay Anthelios line is greasy so I ended up purchasing Bioderma Photoderm MAX.

I am Asian with fairly pale skin. This is my own personal experience. The Photoderm does not leave a white cast on me, but I do not know how really fair you are. Many of my friends (of all races including African American) have used some of it (they were caught off guard in hot weather with no adequate protection Rolling Eyes ) and it did not leave a "white cast" on them. Though to be honest it does require you to massage it in.

The website I bought it from (the only eStore that sells in the U.S.) now sells sample sizes of these products.

KARINA, PM me and I can give you more information if you are interested.
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your feedback everyone.........white lotus i have pm'ed you.......check your message................regards kay
Amesevey
5% products discount

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using Jurlique's sun lotion spf 30+. It's not greasy and can be used as a moisterizer, which is great. It's light and didn't make me look like a total ghost. Which is good because i hate thick rich sunblocks that are greasy! I'm white but have yellow undertones...however if you are concerned about sunscreens making you look pale, which i'm sure all have some effects in doing, then I suggest you try Dr. Hauschka's bronzing concentrate. It too is thin and looks really dark in the bottle but dont be alarmed. Just use a sparce amount with any thinly based sunscreen of your choice (or Jurlique's Surprised ) and it will give u a slight "tan" or bronzing glow as it evens out your complexion. I recommend applying it not just to your face, but neck as well or you'll end up looking uneven.

btw titanium oxide is a must in all sunscreens to proove effective. UVA protection is typically achieved through the action of physical UV blockers, such as zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, or UV absorbers such as avobenzone/Parsol 1789.

jill
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:02 am      Reply with quote
Kay,

LRP Fluide Extreme spf 40 may fit your bill. It offers great protection, no white cast, and is not greasy. I have normal/sensitive skin with yellow undertones (asian).

Since you are in UK, you should be able to get LRP products easily.

HTH!
PG123
5% products discount

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:09 am      Reply with quote
My husband and I like Shiseido sunscreen SPF 55, it contains zinc oxide (yes similiar to titanium oxide but shiseido makes it where it smears into your skin. Anything that contains Titanium dioxide or zinc oxide is a physical sunblock, which are used by lifeguards and so, but it protects your skin by fully shielding your skin from harmful uva uvb rays to prevent burning and damage. Other sunblocks are chemical sunblocks which blocks the rays by making your body produce melanin (color) to protect your skin from burning, so its up to you what you prefer. But I really like shiseido sunblock it works great on me and my husband-especially for him he's always in the hot sun because he's a mail carrier. Well good Luck. Cool
littlebo
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:57 am      Reply with quote
KARINA!! Shock

NO NO NO, do NOT buy Liz Earle Sunscreen!!! I bought this for a holiday in Portugal and I had the whitest face EVER!! My West Indian boyfriend also put it on and it made him look purple!! VERY unhappy with this product!!! Shame on you

Also I just bought Siesaido SPF 30 yesterday and am wearing it now and I have no white face! I looked at the ingredients and there was no Titanium dioxide. And it feels lovely. I really recommend it

PS just looked at the Liz Earle website and the sunscreen contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide!!
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the replies....................i'll wait for the Liz Earle sunscreen collection and then return it to them....they have actually sent it out........i'd never have known if you hadn't told me.......thanks Embarassed

I think i'll try the Shiseido one first......can you tell me the exact name of it. because i know they have several......

Also, Amesevey, mtview, PG123........do any of you have asian type skin............reason why i am asking is because then i'll have a rough idea on how the sunscreen will look on my skin .....if you know what i mean (i think i've just confused myself) Laughing

After i have tried the Shiseido one......then i'll try out the one's recommended by yourselves...............thanks again.......regards Kay

p.s.can you (amesevey, mtview and PG123 tell me if the sunscreen recommended by yourselves has titanium dioxide or zinc oxide in the ingredients list)......much appreciated......thanks Wink
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:40 am      Reply with quote
Littlebo...........sorry, forgot to ask........where did you order your Shiseido from...............???
littlebo
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:42 am      Reply with quote
I didn't order it, I got if from Selfridges near Bond Street tube station. It was £20. I'll have a look at the name tonight and try to post it on monday Smile
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:45 am      Reply with quote
littlebo..........selfridges is far from me, i am based in Middlesex............can you give me the exact name and i'll see if i can order it on the net...........thanks again Smile
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:50 am      Reply with quote
PG123........can you please tell me the name of your sunscreen as well........i was looking at strawberrynet and they have about 10 different ones........thanks ........regards Kay
littlebo
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Just checked in the their website. Its called 'extra smooth sun protection SPF 30 PA+'

I got the face and body one. But I saw another one on the website which is the same but for the face and it has a PA++ which refers to the level of UVA protection. They didn't show me that one in Selfridges!!! I'll get that next time.
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:03 am      Reply with quote
littleb......are you sure there wasn't any other name........i can't seem to find it on the website...........where did you look............regards Kay
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |