Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Whipping Shea Butter?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TuesdaysChild
5% products discount

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
I got some shea butter and would like to whip it so it's a little easier to use. I googled it and saw a few sites that mention the need to add other ingredients (carrier oil and corn starch) when you whip it in order for it to be creamy. Is it necessary to add these additional ingredients? These sites also mention melting the shea. Does heating it take away any of it's benefits?
so0_flawless
5% products discount

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
No it doesn't since it's pure. the starch I believe is to keep the whipped consistency of it. Make sure you dont heat it too much, I did that once and it was too "liquidy" to work with. Wink
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Melting unrefined butters with high heat is much like over cooking raw veggies. It kinda 'cooks' out the benefits of the unrefined butter, shea in this case.

I soften mine in a metal bowl - either on the stove by the vent for the oven or set over a pot (think double boiler) of boiled water (once it comes to a boil I turn off the heat). You want it just soft enough to work with.

Adding a carrier oil thins the Shea to make it not quite so dense. Corn starch is added to cut the greasy feeling of the shea.

Once your shea is soft enough to work with just whip it up with a hand mixer or KitchenAid mixer.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
how long does it take to get it all whipped up?!
thanks!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:28 am      Reply with quote
great tip Candy, thank you!

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
TuesdaysChild
5% products discount

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:21 am      Reply with quote
thanks so much for the info, especially what the added ingredients are for, very helpful. Does anyone know if, as long as I don't overheat, will the shae be just as effective? Also, what would be a good carrier oil to mix with it? I have jojoba oil now but can pick up something else if that would work better. I really want something that would be good for VERY dry skin, possibly eczema.

thanks!!
wen_goldfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Rosehip oil would be a good choice for dry skin.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
TuesdaysChild wrote:
thanks so much for the info, especially what the added ingredients are for, very helpful. Does anyone know if, as long as I don't overheat, will the shae be just as effective? Also, what would be a good carrier oil to mix with it? I have jojoba oil now but can pick up something else if that would work better. I really want something that would be good for VERY dry skin, possibly eczema.

thanks!!

Tuesday, rosehip is good for dry skin but macadamia nut oil is extremely effective as well because it really penetrates the skin. It's one of my favorite all around skincare oils I stock, second only to jojoba oil as my all 'round fave.

Good luck, I hope this works for you!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
how long does it take to get it all whipped up?!
thanks!

I use a heavy-duty KitchenAide mixer with a whip attachment, I combine everything, slowly folding until it is all incorporated. By then it's begun to cool enough to whip without being flung all over the room Laughing .

The longer you whip - the lighter/airier it will become. Using a light oil, Macademia is very nice (great suggestion Athena) for quick absorption.

I can whip mine up to 40 minutes until it's reached the consitency I am looking for. It's gonna be a trial & error type thing for you to find the right %'s of what YOU like for your body butter.

Just add small amounts at a time & write em down as you go (learned this one the hard way, lol).

athena123 wrote:
great tip Candy, thank you!

Athena

Wink

TuesdaysChild wrote:

thanks!!

As long as it's not overheated it will retain it's values. Even if you do overheat it, it will still offer a good moisturizing effect.

Jojoba is a good choice, I opt for a lighter oil personally. I find a lighter oil keeps the butter from hardening up as much once it settles.

I have uber-dry skin. The most benefit I find by using my body butter is while still damp from a shower/bath. Slather on the butter, toss on a big pink fluffy bathrobe and go about my skincare routine. By the time I'm ready to dress it's all soaked in and my skin stays happy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:39 am      Reply with quote
^^^^ Wow Candy 40 minutes? I can see the little mini food processor I have wouldn't be up to this task! Laughing If I ever decide to delve a little deeper into DIY stuff, I'll definitely have to upgrade to REAL equipment!

edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:19 am      Reply with quote
i would love a whipped mango butter
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
same principal - different butter...

PM me if ya wanna chat some more. Smile

edenfield wrote:
i would love a whipped mango butter

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Susan Miller Cavitch's book, Soapmaker's Companion, has a fabulous--and adjustable--recipe for what she calls Native Blend Moisturizing Cream that incorporates olive, almond, wheat germ, jojoba oils along with shea and cocoa butter, castor oil, beeswax, glycerin, honey--and borax to make it emulsify. It's the only thing I've found that helps my husband's alligator paws.

For those of you who really know your stuff, is this a good blend?
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 10:21 am      Reply with quote
try this youtube video, the lady uses lots of ingredients like honey, coconut oil, castor oil, almond oil, jojoba etc etc, the end result looks so light and creamy, and i think she uses this on her hair, and face..

whoops couldnt post a link - search youtube for Flo's whipped raw shea butter recipe.
lavendula
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I have a big jar of pure sheabutter from L'occitane. Is it the same thing? Do I need to whip it before using?
I always warm it first in the palm and then apply to the skin. The method is not correct?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I use one of those milk frother things. Its like a mini whip for making frothy milk drinks. Cheap and works great to blend my ingredients.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |