Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

thin skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
can someone explain thin skin? I use a retinoid and JM bioclear (pretty heavy duty glycolic) and supposedly this will thin my skin. but I'm not sure how to tell if it has thinned too much or if it is a problem at all! I just hear people on here worrying about it...

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:31 am      Reply with quote
your skin only has so many layers on it. they help protect against environmental hazzards and aging.

thats why i do not use things like microdermabrasion cloths or any acids because they make the skin thinner.

try emu oil. it plumpens the skin very nicely.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote
I use copper peptides which are supposed to make the skin thicker. I use the microdermal abrasion cloth lightly to exfoliate because it makes the product sink into the skin more.
DStats19
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
microdermabrasion cloth makes skin thinner though.

just splash hot water on your face. that should get your pores open.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
well what I'm not sure about is 1) how to tell if my skin actually is thinner, and 2) why is it bad?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
well what I'm not sure about is 1) how to tell if my skin actually is thinner, and 2) why is it bad?

If you can clearly see blood vessels and capilaries,then the skin is fine.Fine is skin is more sensitive and a lot more fragile to environmental hazards.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:29 am      Reply with quote
i use retin a and once a week use the NCN pumpkin peel.

if i dont, my skin will get dull and tired looking, plus i will break out.

how can i thicken the skin? tried copper, didnt do anything.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:44 am      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:
i use retin a and once a week use the NCN pumpkin peel.

if i dont, my skin will get dull and tired looking, plus i will break out.

how can i thicken the skin? tried copper, didnt do anything.

Look into essential oils that can combat your worries and start taking minerals internally,make sure you get enough protein-these are the building blocks to get skin back on the track.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
i always thought alpha hydroxy acids THICKENED the skin? I know retin-a doesnt.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Agree with taking protein supplements to help thicken skin. Facial exercises could also help with that.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:32 am      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

To answer your questions....

If you are using retinoids and strong acids you have thinned your stratum corneum but have probably thickened the rest of your epidermis. I am not sure that thinning the stratum corneum is automatically bad. Since the skin barrier performs so many different functions it lets you know if you have gone too far. An impared skin barrier (from thinning of the stratum corneum) is more prone to trans epidermal water loss (TEWL). So the inability of the skin to hold sufficient moisture could be a sign that your skin barrier cannot function properly. An impared skin barrier also allows ingredients to penetrate too easily making it much more likely that you will experience irritation. So irritation especially from products that have not irriated in the past is a sign that you have compromised your skin barrier. Irritation in general is often the result of a skin barrier (stratum corneum) that cannot protect the skin from outside assults. Of course, things like detergent use can also compromise the skin barrier so it is not always easy to say that such and such a product thinned the stratum corneum and led to irritation but overall you can start to get a sense of what is going on with the skin. Infections (including acne) would also be another sign of an non functioning skin barrier since the stratum cornuem also provides proection from microbes. Once again things like acne have myriad causes so you have to look at the overall picture.

In short, if you skin is healthy then despite the fact that you may have thinned it some with retinoids and acids you are probably okay.

One point I will make is UV damage. The stratum corneum is vital in protecting against UVB radiation so thinning it can have profound negative effects which is why proper sunscreen use is always recommended with retinoid or acid use.

Yet one has to wonder about this all. Some of us naturally have thicker stratum corneums than others. The stratum corneum also thickens with age. So to some degree it is all relative. Someone that is young with senstive skin (and most likley a thinner stratum corneum to being with) would be much more likely to suffer from thinning the stratum corneum with products like retinoids and acids.

Speaking of young....IMO unless you absolutly need to use all those products to treat acne...at your age you are overdoing it! Wink

I can go on and on on this topic but will stop now. You can also see my posts in the following thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=27810&highlight=
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Wow.That is very detailed))
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Great post h.kitty. I have also been a heavy user of acids and retinoids over the last couple years and have recently been reconsidering how I need to be treating my skin. I have not decided for sure what I should do but for now I'm going to back off of the daily acid use. I do have a question though. You mentioned research in the linked thread that showed that strong AHA peels (25%- 50%) did help to thicken the deeper layers of the skin while thinning the upper layer. I was wondering if daily use of milder AHA products (8%-12%) thickened the deeper layers as well or only thinned the outermost layer. Do you have any insights? Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
I also have thin skin. I think it's from using retinoids and tanning when I was younger. Now my face is so sensitive, it's hard to try new products because they irritate my skin. The derm who diagnosed my rosacea, told me that I had thin skin and treat it very gently. So now I stay out of the sun and no AHA'S.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
mamawalnut wrote:
I do have a question though. You mentioned research in the linked thread that showed that strong AHA peels (25%- 50%) did help to thicken the deeper layers of the skin while thinning the upper layer. I was wondering if daily use of milder AHA products (8%-12%) thickened the deeper layers as well or only thinned the outermost layer. Do you have any insights? Thanks.

mamawalnut it was fairlady's posts that mentioned the AHA research. Wink

She did indicate that daily use of milder AHA products can thicken the deeper layers of the epidermis and from what I have read in the past I would agree with her on this. However, I would have to do some searching to find the studies and the exact percentages that were effective at thickening the lower layers of the epidermis. Maybe you can PM fairlady and ask her to provide links to the studies that she mentioned.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question for you,ladies.You know how fluoride is in every toothpaste because it was shown to thicken the teeth bones and then there was research that concluded that fluoride is toxic and the reason why your teeth thicken is because they are trying to protect themselves from this element(This is why they warn not to swallow toothpaste and there are numerous brands that offer fluoride-free toothpaste...for a bigger price of course Rolling Eyes ).Soooo any chance that the reason why deeper layers of the skin thicken from AHA is similar to that Question
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 am      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
mamawalnut wrote:
I do have a question though. You mentioned research in the linked thread that showed that strong AHA peels (25%- 50%) did help to thicken the deeper layers of the skin while thinning the upper layer. I was wondering if daily use of milder AHA products (8%-12%) thickened the deeper layers as well or only thinned the outermost layer. Do you have any insights? Thanks.

mamawalnut it was fairlady's posts that mentioned the AHA research. Wink

She did indicate that daily use of milder AHA products can thicken the deeper layers of the epidermis and from what I have read in the past I would agree with her on this. However, I would have to do some searching to find the studies and the exact percentages that were effective at thickening the lower layers of the epidermis. Maybe you can PM fairlady and ask her to provide links to the studies that she mentioned.

Thanks h.kitty. I noticed there was confusion in the other thread of who was posting what; I guess I got confused myself. Very Happy This is one of those topics that has so much conflicting information out there that I am not sure what to make of it all. Irka makes an interesting point as well in her post. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what everybody has to say.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |