Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Donell Super Skin Brightening Cream (1 oz) Too Faced Perfect Lips Lip Liner - Perfect Red (.04 g / .01 oz) Baby Quasar Anti-Aging Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)
Clarisonic Brush Heads and Bacteria

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to clean the Clarisonic brush heads? I'm worried about spreading bacteria all over my face. Thanks.
ssrandall

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Once a week, wash the brush head and the handle separately using warm soapy water to remove any residue buildup. The handle is sealed and fully waterproof. NEVER attempt to open the brush handle for any reason. To dry the brush after use, rub the brush head against a towel for 5-10 seconds while the Clarisonic is powered on. DO NOT use abrasive cleaners or chemicals to clean any part of the Clarisonic. DO NOT put any part of the Clarisonic in a dishwasher.

UNPLUG the charging cradle before you clean it. After unplugging the cradle, wipe it with a soft, damp cloth. DO NOT immerse the cradle in water.
batwhirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
verryberry - I may be wrong however what I do is after use wash the brush a bit a clean gel soap that does not affect my skin, blot any excess water off the brush head and it to air dry with the bristles up! Maybe the company will make a ultra violet sanitizing chamber for the Clarisonic. Love mine by the way Smile
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I really hope I love the brush as much as everyone else seems to Smile
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Some have shared in other threads that they put hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spritz the brush head, in order to kill the germs. I have been doing that and it seems to work well. Just remember to rinse well before using the brush!!
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
As batwhirl posted, I've noticed that Phillips make a santizing chamber for their toothbrushes now. Maybe they'll make one for the Clarisonic brush as well.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
The sanitizing chamber uses ultraviolet light to kill bacteria - very cool.
alisons79
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:04 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Apple Cider Vinegar in a spray bottle and letting it set for a minute while I apply all my product. Then I rinse it well and dry it with a handtowel.

Now, I did also just order a Sonicare Toothbrush that comes with the sanitizing chamber. So if my Clarisonic brush can be squished in there...I'm all over that!! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:06 am      Reply with quote
I clean mine with my vapor/steam cleanor once a week when I am cleaning the bathroom.
alisons79
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, that little UV sanitizer is WAAAAYYY tiny!! Just big enough for the toothbrush heads. There's no way my Clarisinic brush is fitting in there.

So I guess I'll continue with the ACV.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Aww, that is too bad. Maybe they'll come out with one in the future. My mom just bought a sonicare toothbrush and there was no mention of the uv santizer to her, so maybe that is quite new too.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have a nursery sanitizer that sterilizes my baby's toys, bottles, soothers, etc. using a dry heat. Apparently it kills 99.9% of germs/bacteria. I plan on using that for my Clarisonic brush head every once in a while. Why not?!
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm...that might be a good idea because it must be gentle enough to sterilize those sorts of things. Unfortunately I have no such device so will have to resort to cleaning with soap at least for the time being. You'll have to give it a try and let us know, as I'm sure others might have a similar device.
yeeyaw
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
thanks a lot
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
How often do you all change your clarisonic brush head?

My sonicare T.B with sanitizing chamber is on it's way from Philips. Can't wait to try the new model. I've loved the others.
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't changed mine yet, but I think the company suggests 4 months. If you clean the brush frequently and don't push it against your face (which you aren't supposed to do) I'll be you can make it last longer. Especially if you aren't using it 2x per day.
rainbowcheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:46 am      Reply with quote
It is really made my skin clean and smooth
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I wash my Clarisonic with shampoo after every use, and dry the bristles on a towel while it's powered on. Every week or so I pop the brush off and plop it in a cup with hydrogen peroxide, and let it soak for a minute or two before rinsing it thoroughly.

I think the main thing to keep bacteria away is to dry off your Clarisonic after every use. And in response to the user who left her brush lying bristles up -- I hope you mean just the brush head, and not the whole device! If you leave the whole Clarisonic bristles-up, it's actually not as sanitary -- all the water drains down into the chamber right underneath the brush, and that's how mildew and whatnot can form. I think it's better to dry the brush and place it in the charger so that any water could evaporate/exit more easily. (It's okay to take the brush off and leave just that part bristles-up to dry, I think.) Just my opinion!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
How much peroxide do you put it into and how long are you leaving it in for? Does this damage the heads at all?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I got the idea from another member, but I had already been pouring peroxide onto the brush directly. Now I just pop the brush off instead to let it soak, and I'll still pour a bit of peroxide in the cavity.

I use the straight solution from the bottle, which is still pretty weak compared to how strong peroxide solutions CAN get. If I'm running low sometimes I'll mix that with water, 50-50. I do it so there's just enough liquid to cover the brush.

After comparing notes, I think some members decided peroxide was safer on the bristles than alcohol, because alcohol can degrade the plastic.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if it would be better to just spritz it with the Hydro.Perox and rinse after a minute? Peroxide is wonderful for killing certain types of bacteria but I would think it would degrade the brush with too much use.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I'm on my first brush, so I'm keeping an eye on it. But I believe someone from another thread may have actually contacted Clarisonic about whether hydrogen peroxide was bad for the brush or not -- I forget. I just know they definitely said alcohol was a no-no.

To be honest though, I'm not that concerned about it damaging the brush over time, since I'm more concerned about spreading icky bacteria and breaking out more. Plus I don't do peroxide all the time, just every week or two.

I think the NUMBER ONE thing you can do to keep your Clarisonic healthy is to not let it sit around wet. I try to be really good about drying mine thoroughly right after use, and when I do peroxide my brush, there's almost NO gunk that foams at all (you know, how it gets all bubbly when there's organic matter to dissolve?). So that's reassuring to me!

milliesfriend
5% products discount

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
How do you keep it really dry?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I take it after I've shampooed and thoroughly rinsed the bristles until they run clean, and I sort of "fling" it so all the water flies out of the two holes below the brush. Then, once that cavity doesn't drip anymore, I power it on and press it against a towel in three or four spots until the towel comes away mostly dry. Then, I shake it one more time to make sure no more water is in the cavity under the brush. Only THEN do I replace it in the charger.

The reason I'm so obsessive about this is because there are warnings all over the Clarisonic packaging and manual about not getting the charger wet at all. But I think it also helps to keep the thing free of mildew and other nasties, so that's a nice side effect!

miss mei
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very happy that I found this thread. I am loving my brush and just cleaned it but wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I used antibacterial hand wash soap Confused Not sure if it's the best thing for it tho except my brush looked grey after 5 days and I'm trying not to spread the bacteria.

Great tips about making sure the brush is dry, that was my main concern that lead me to looking for answers. Would a solution of tea tree oil work? Not super keen on using the soap I just did or peroxide.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Donell Super Skin Brightening Cream (1 oz) Too Faced Perfect Lips Lip Liner - Perfect Red (.04 g / .01 oz) Zantrex-3 High Energy Fat Burner (56 Capsules)