Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Sunscreen has to be one of the most disappointing products..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
If you go chemical you risk damaging the environment (coral reefs), irritating your own skin, generating free radicals, or just having unstable product, there's also the risk of some sunscreens being estrogenic.

If you go physical you get a white cast, and the zinc/titanium oxides clog pores. If you go micronized there's a risk of free-radical generation (though apparently coating it in silicone is supposed to fix this?).

I feel like I've tried everything, European, Canadian, Japanese sunscreens and have yet to find something that makes me want to use it daily (Which is what I need to be doing). Sofina was the closest but I hate that chalky film left on my skin, and it never washed off properly either.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I know what you mean. I wish sunscreen wasn't something you have to compromise on so much. Right now I am using Avene's tinosorb SPF 50+ emulsion. I like the emulsion better than the other 50+ one, but it's still not ideal. At least the tinosorb seems effective in preventing recurrence of my hyperpigmentation.

I really hope that someday soon we'll look back on these days as the dark ages of sunscreen, with effective, safe, cosmetically elegant products easily available. A girl can dream, can't she?
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
I understand, lots of sunscreens I have tried are either too greasy, or not that greasy but with a lower factor.
I still enjoy my Kimberly Sawyer moisturizer with sunscreen, but I need one over SPF 40 for days when I am more exposed to the sun.
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
i use shiseido sun lotion 50spf
just open my 4th bottle
love it.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Facial sunscreen is a nightmare for me. Breakout city regardless of brand and I've tried many many brands. I just can't use it. I know it's terrible but I've had really bad cyctic acne since puberty and I don't need to exacerbate the problem. Plus I really don't go out in the sun that often anymore anyway. If I do it's usually a baseball game and I wear a ball cap and huge sunglasses anyway.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:
If you go chemical you risk damaging the environment (coral reefs), irritating your own skin, generating free radicals, or just having unstable product, there's also the risk of some sunscreens being estrogenic.

If you go physical you get a white cast, and the zinc/titanium oxides clog pores. If you go micronized there's a risk of free-radical generation (though apparently coating it in silicone is supposed to fix this?).

I feel like I've tried everything, European, Canadian, Japanese sunscreens and have yet to find something that makes me want to use it daily (Which is what I need to be doing). Sofina was the closest but I hate that chalky film left on my skin, and it never washed off properly either.

What brands have you tried? I kinda feel the same way like you, but only because I don't really know if it's really blocking the Sun or not. How does one really know, right? I apply SS with my fingers crossed, but the brand I like the most is Sunkiller because it's easy to spread, and it doesn't make my face oily looking.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree. I currently use (and constantly rave about) Devita's Solar Protection Creme 30, because it's the only sunscreen I've ever found that was physical yet clear and not totally heavy and greasy. (Thankfully, I don't have issues with it clogging my pores.)

But I'm constantly worried that it doesn't offer enough broad-spectrum protection, and I also have concerns about the absorption of micronized zinc into the body. (I actually have an email out to the makers of Z-Cote about this, but I haven't yet heard back, and I'm not sure how much detail they'll really be willing or able to give me.)

Chemical sunscreens just aren't an option for me -- I'm allergic to most and just reactive to others (I get massive stinging and blotchiness). Plus I've read too many scary studies about the potentially toxic or even carcinogenic nature of so many chemical sunscreen ingredients.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Sigh. I agree with all of you.

How about a really big parasol? And isn't there some kind of film you can put over your windows to block rays?

sigh

Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, this is all so true. Currently I'm using Devita Daily Solar Protective Moisturizer. The texture is nice, no white film... but alas the spf is only 30. Crying or Very sad
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I still don't trust chemical or combination chem/physical sunscreens. I also have only had luck with Sofina Lucent, all other cheap SPF 50 brands are very unstable.

I used to hate Sofina Lucent because I did not have a good oil cleanser and I had initially tried the Nuance version. Now I use it everyday and have overcome my issues with clogged pores and finish.

Do you use a good quality rinse off oil cleanser? There is no other product that will get rid of the film.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:27 am      Reply with quote
edenfield which Sofina sunscreens have you tried?
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 am      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
edenfield which Sofina sunscreens have you tried?

lucent and nuance up. my dad brings them home for me from hong kong sometimes Laughing

ive also tried sunkiller
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:59 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if you want to give it a try but the White Protect SPF 50+ is IMO not as drying/chalky as the Lucent. I use the Lucent for very humid days but since I found the White Protect I rarely use the Lucent one anymore.

My husband never wore sunscreen until I got him to try the White Protect. Now he uses sunscreen everyday. He has tried the Lucent and has a strong preference for the White Protect. He claims that it is "silkier". His words, not mine. To me when a man uses the word silky to describe a sunscreen I take notice!!!! Laughing
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:01 am      Reply with quote
i will give it a try Smile

i'm not giving up on sunscreens...maybe because i can't lol!
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Please update after you have tried it. I would like to get your honest opinion on the White Protect!
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:50 am      Reply with quote
The best that I have tried are Remergent and Osmosis. Neither will leave a white cast or oiliness.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:19 am      Reply with quote
Wanna get even more depressed? This is a website that ranks sunscreens for safety. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/summary.php

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Does the "White Protect" leave a white residue? Is it physical or chemical?
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie I only notice a white residue when I first apply the White Protect. However, I am quite pale and rarely notice a white residue from any sunscreen.

The White Protect is mostly physical and part chemical (octinoxate).
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I was pleased to see on the EWG website that tinosorb has the highest safety rating--a green light "zero" for safety concerns.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:39 am      Reply with quote
sgresnic - Thanks for the link to the cosmetics database info on sunscreen safety. Just like what is being said in this thread, even that site is confusing -- high score for health hazard + low score for sun hazard = low score? 6 + 0 = 2? What's up with that? Then there is a footnote about zinc & titanium possibly being nano scale in some of the products. It's shameful that the industry cannot produce an easy to read, definitive guide to sunscreens.
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Jax wrote:
sgresnic - Thanks for the link to the cosmetics database info on sunscreen safety. Just like what is being said in this thread, even that site is confusing -- high score for health hazard + low score for sun hazard = low score? 6 + 0 = 2? What's up with that? Then there is a footnote about zinc & titanium possibly being nano scale in some of the products. It's shameful that the industry cannot produce an easy to read, definitive guide to sunscreens.

you're right - it's very confusing. I looked up a couple of things, including Dr. Hauschka lip balm (can't remember which one, stick or pot). They had given it a fairly high hazard score. When you look at the breakdown, the score was elevated because of "fragrance." What does that mean?

It is so frustrating, confusing, and time consuming...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
I too am sick of wearing sunscreen so I have been using mineral makeup as my protection on the face. I dont have the breakouts like I used too or the seepage into the eyes. I wear sunscreen protected clothes now unfashionable as they may be.
I experimented with raspberry seed oil for the natural sunscreen properties and have to say it does seem to work. Unfortunately, it made my collars stained. And the oil doesnt have an official SPF rating though some reports say about 34SPF but I could be wrong. However it is cheap to buy. I got mine fromwww.gardenofwisdom.com

Also I am thinking of trying to get protection through food with antioxidants.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
sgresnic wrote:
Wanna get even more depressed? This is a website that ranks sunscreens for safety. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/summary.php

Thank you for this link. I find it very interesting and educational. I forwarded the link to all my friends.

I didn't see Sunkiller on their list or La Roche Posay. Or did I miss it? I almost bought Ombrelle. Now that I saw it, I'm glad I didn't buy it.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Finding a great facial sunscreen is like searching for the holy grail. I tried many over the past 18 years and finally found "the one" for me.www.niadyne.com. I love this sunscreen for many reasons.

1. completely physical; I don't have to worry about the stability of chemicals and reapplying on top of makekup.
2. light, feathery texture that makes me WANT to use it every day
3. contains 5% pro-niacin. I've read a few rather compelling studies that it promotes skin barrier repair. Please note that I'm not a scientist, but their studies appeal to my common sense Laughing
4. does not break me out or clog pores [but I do use oil to remove it everyday]
5. contains silicone, leaving a nice and smooth finish; also fills the bill as a makeup primer for this reason.
6. dries fairly matte and the white cast eventually fades away.
7. Best of all, at $55 USD [less if you can find it on ebay] for 3.4 oz, it's affordable enough that I can apply this to face, neck and chest without trying to "conserve" it.

I think my search is over! If you send an email off of their web page, they'll send you samples. And ooh, EDS also carries this line as well even better bonus!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |