Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anybody else likes gardening?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I always like plants, esp fruit trees. I have been neglecting my garden, and those trees continue to live for me. (Thank you trees.) This year I decided it's time for me to get back in to gardening. A friend of mine is inspiring me. I saw him growing lots of stuff from seeds, and it's awesome. He gave me some tomato plants and pineapples that he grew from the tops of the pineapples he bought from the market. One of his pineapple plants is actually fruiting now. It's amazing.

So I bought Miracle Gro and I dug up ditches all around my plants and trees, and flipped up the soil to help with the aeration. Wow, that was some good exercises. I watered the trees and gave them Miracle Gro. I think maybe my fruit trees will be happy this year. I also just bought a Hass avocado tree and a Fuyu (Japanese) persimmon tree that I plan to plant or transfer to a bigger pot (might have to move later this year or next).

I can't believe gardening is so much fun and it's relaxing, too.
dleonard
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:28 am      Reply with quote
I love gardening, I started my tomatoe seeds in the house last weekend. Can wait to start my vegetable garden....
Still lots of snow here, so I have to wait for a while longer...................
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
dleonard wrote:
I love gardening, I started my tomatoe seeds in the house last weekend. Can wait to start my vegetable garden....
Still lots of snow here, so I have to wait for a while longer...................

Isn't it so relaxing? I really do love gardening. I enjoy seeing my tulips come up from the ground year after year. They've been so good to me 3 straight years now even though I didn't do much to them after planting them. I am finding myself come out of my house and smiling at the flowers on the Fuji apple trees like an idiot. I even said good morning to the trees. LOL

How long do you have to wait before you can plant them? Another month?
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I love gardening, but I am basically a lazy gardener. Also the area I live in has been in drought for 7 years and we are on fairly tight water restrictions. Great tip for all gardeners. Seaweed solution helps plants cope with the stress of drought and when being transplanted. In fact any time you are going to put your plants under stress, such as heavy pruning or repotting, given them a dose of seaweed solution. This acts as a tonic rather than a fertilizer and so can be used at any time of year. It can also help plants that are under heavy insect infestation bounce back.

Apart from natives I mainly grow fruit trees and leafy greens. Most of my edibles are chosen either because they are resistant to diseases and insects, or because they are either expensive to buy, or difficult to get in shops. Luckily many fruits are both, so my fruit trees consist of pomegranates, persimmons, feijoas, cherry guava, chinese gooseberries, passionfruit, lemons, olives and figs, along with an apple and apricot tree that were both here when I first moved in. I love plums and nectarines, but because they attract fruit flies, I haven't planted them.

I'm also a messy gardener. I find that the messier the garden the more wildlife it attracts, and I've put flat water bowls out for the birds, up on pedestals so that they are protected from my cat. I also keep all my meat and fat scraps for the carnivorous birds, and throw a small amout out for them about twice a week. It's hard to work out which I get more pleasure from - watching the birds playing in the water or scoffing down home grown passionfruit still warm from the sun.
Mabsy

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
OMG! I have built a house recently and it's sitting on a pretty big block of bare land. Anybody who loves to garden should just come over to my place and go happy on it. I can provide all the tools Smile And that should tell you that I'm, at the moment, not a happy little gardener because it just takes such a long time when you're starting from scratch (and so much effort and so much $$$). I think/hope that once it's all finished I will start the enjoy regular garden maintenance though at the moment I'm not too sure that is possible Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy: I've been there.............but you start on garden at a time, and in no time.........years later Laughing Laughing Laughing you will have a beautiful yard........it's been 10 years for me and I still make new flower garden every year.............it's all worth the effort..............good luck
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I wish I could have a garden, but I live in an apartment. There also isn't much light, so it isn't good for keeping potted plants either. However, I love to keep fresh flowers around. They just make me happy every time I look at them. I saw on the Martha Stewart show today that she is doing a line with 1-800-Flowers.com and the arrangements looks beautiful. I would love to have something like that in my apartment.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
We have a lot of shade in our yard. It is difficult for me to grow the flowers I like. My DH and I are very into landscaping. In fact our neighbors think we are crazy to be out cleaning our yard in early March. DH is the lawn keeper. Must say our lawn is like a golf course. I am the keeper of the shrubs and leaf raker. I envy those who can have a vegetable garden. The trees in our yard are big and old (Spruce, Holly, Oak, Maple). To cut them down is not an option. Pretty soon we have to have trees sprayed for those disgusting Gypsy Moths. Right behind our house is our state forest. I love New England!

Happy gardening. Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, you are too funny! Laughing Ok, I must qualify that I love gardening but it's gotta be my own garden. LOL Gardening is a lot of work for sure. Whenever I dig up ditches or flip up the soil to ventilate it, I skip my treadmill for the day. Swinging that axe is hard work! I have a hard time trimming my trees, too. I know it has to be done for the trees to grow thicker and fuller, but I feel like I should not cut any of their limbs off. Anyone else has this problem?
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
I particularly like citrus trees. Where I live they need to come in for the winter but they smell wonderful. I partcularly like the Ponderosa lemon (Logees in CT has cuttings from a 100+ years plant that are awesome). I also have kumquats.

I do not have a big yard but I also like perennial flowers and have several tubs of herbs.
Mabsy

Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Thank you dleonard. That is indeed what I have been doing and it looks like there's a good year or so in it still...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I know this may sound funny but I think nature grounds you. It does for me...at times, that I am upset I touch a tree or a leaf and feel better. I know it sounds odd but it works for me. Very Happy
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I love gardening. I'm growing exotics (jasmines, orchids, plumeria, etc.) in a non-tropical zone. It's a challenge to make some of them flower, but well worth it when they do. I also love roses and peonies, too. Okay, I love beautiful flowers with scents. All of them!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
SCF, I don't think it sounds weird at all. I smiled like an idiot when I came home and saw my bing cherry tree got beautiful huge pink flowers on it. It made me so happy. Like I said, I found myself say good morning to my trees when I came out of the house and got greeted by the beautiful flowers. Very Happy I think gardening is really relaxing....a definite stress reliever and a great exercise. I was digging up this plant that was crowding out my Cherimoya tree, and it was a back breaking work.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
The other day I ordered free plants (I decided on calla lilly mix and tulip mix) from springhillnursery.com. They were giving away $20 worth of free plants and I just had to pay $7 shipping. I just checked back on the web site, and that offer is gone now. Instead, they're offering $25 off $50 purchase.

http://springhillnursery.com/default.asp?t=xx&eid=092906SHY&sid=411067&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=brand&utm_campaign=sh_either

I don't know if that's good for anyone, but I thought I would post anyway. I am tempted to buy their dwarf fig kit. I love figs.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
I am so excited that spring is here! It is already very spring like weather here in the south and Lowe's and garden shops are getting filled with flowering plants. My house is situated on land which is surrounded by a pine forest. I have many different types of roses which will bloom for the next 6-7 months and several areas where I will plant hot pink and purple annuals. The beautiful Crape Myrtle trees are coming to life and I can not wait until they flower. The Hostas are so happy and green with almost daily rain showers. I absolutely love working in my yard! Such great exercise and so rewarding!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
My tiny fuji apple tree has fruits on it! YEAH!! Dancing I don't know if they would be any good or not, but I sure love looking at the fruits on the tree. Very Happy
edithsz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you that love gardening and want to have your own veggies there is an excellent method called square foot gardening. I just found out about it after we broke ourselves in our veggie garden, but still used this method in a lot of pots and need to tell you, the plants in the pots that were planted later look better than the ones in veggie garden.

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

You can find more info at the above link.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I have an apartment, but I love gardening and last year I started to grow peppers on my balcony. Everyone I know said to me it is impossible to grow sweet peppers in the pots and boxes on the balcony, but I proved they were wrong! I was so happy to see the first flower on my pepper - I couldn't stop talking about it for a week. Gardening is very rewarding and relaxing! Even if it is on a very small balcony. I wish I have a house with a big garden where I could grow so many plants. This year I planned to grow different types of pepper. I already plant everything and OMG there is no free space on my balcony...just for me to move between pots and boxes.
[IMG]
[URL=http://www.radikal.ru]Image

This is my flowers this year. I love Dalias and Portulacas! They usually flower the whole summer.

Yesterday I photographed the first flower on my pepper

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
WOW Laral!! That's gorgeous! I've always wanted to grow peppers but thought it was too hard.... I've just ordered the topsy turvy tomato planter from TSC and also am anxious to try the SFG, it looks amazing!
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Dahli!
Peppers are really easy to grow! They like sunshine and moisture - just don't over water them.
If you or anyone else need information and tips on growing peppers let me know and I will
e-mail it to you.
Lara

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 6:53 am      Reply with quote
WoW,,dala,,it is beautiful!!!! I am a lazy person so I always let the plants dry to death.. Embarassed But I love plants and flowers
edithsz
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Sure Lara1, I always look for advices so I would take that info that you are willing to share, and thank you for it in advance.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi edithsz, I am not sure if we allowed to post direct links on this forum and I will send all websites to your e-mail instead.
Lara

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Lara1, that's what I thought too. I am looking forward to see what can I do to make my peppers healthier and larger.
Thanks again.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |