Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

sudden hair loss
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
The last couple weeks I've noticed that my hair has thinned down considerably since coming back from Nepal (3 months there)...I'm thinking the extra stresses of life here, and perhaps the difference in water composition is causing it...I'm only 23 so I'm thinking/hoping it's not an age thing, hahaha!

Any suggestions for shampoos?

I've been washing my hair everyday as my hair gets greasy pretty fast...sometimes it doesn't last the day Sad
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
It is possible you might be anaemic? If your serum ferritin drops belows a certain level you can experience hair loss. Other factors can also cause hair loss. Best to see your doctor and see if he/she can do a comprehensive blood test for you.
lilredhead
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
UGH HannahLee,I'm going through the same thing right now... I'm both anemic and hypothyroid so I definitely agree with Camelia... get bloodwork! I know what you're going through. Crying or Very sad
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
boooo to hear that...although perhaps I might be a tad anemic...i didn't have any red meat while in nepal (sept-dec) and haven't really been able to eat much red meat since being bad since my body doesn't seem to like it anymore :S
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
should I start taking iron supplements now until I can get in to see a doctor?

I take a multivitamin...when I remember that is Embarassed
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Please get the blood test done FIRST to see if your iron levels are low before taking any iron supplements. Too much iron is not good for you!
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
I am sorry about what you are going through. You could try msm. it helps with hair growth
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Is it loss or breakage? Mine started breaking off about an inch out from the scalp all over due to stress. I went to see my ob/gyn who advised me on several points. It took back to working out, taking my omega, msm & multivitamins and starting ladies rogaine to get back into the growth stage again. It also took a few massages and a mini-spa date to let the stress of moving and all that went with it go. Good luck.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Protein powder and selenium should fix this.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sure a lot of it is stress related...I returned from a 3 month volunteer stint in Nepal...so the reverse culture shock was a bit weird...and I'm sure the different pollutions and water, shampoos, hair products has also been making a difference...while I was there I never had a chance to blow dry my hair, but since I've been back (since christmas), I'm back to washing and blow-drying nearly everyday.

I also have med school interviews...I didn't end up getting in last year, so it was a bit of a shock, and I think I have the additional pressure of wanting to get in this year...

And of course general friend and family stresses...

As already mentioned, my style of life has also changed...I'm now going to the gym 2-3 times a week (I've lost 20lbs since last year) and since Nepal, my diet hasn't been able to include too much processed foods or red meat (I physically can't handle too much...which is probably a good thing :S)
Mabsy

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I lose more hair when I go through phases of poor diet and more stress. One shampoo that has been consistently good at reducing hair loss is Nioxin. My parents see the same results with it. HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi HannaLee

I agree with you that too much red meat isn't a good thing, I'm similar in not liking it. However you really need to be sure that you get your B12 and iron from other sources of food or a good supplement. Vitamin C enhances absorbtion of iron (you probably already know all this if you're about to be a med student.)
Annoyingly, when I do eat a little bit of beef my energy levels surge like nothing else and I feel on top of the world. Typical! You're likely to have other signs if you're anaemic, feeling very lethargic, difficulty breathing after climbing stairs (due to lack of red cells to transport the oxygen) sometimes you can get a heartbeat in your ear and get odd food cravings. Pull down the lower lid of your eye, look at your nails and the creases in your palm. If they are all pale, it is more likely that you may be anaemic.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:59 am      Reply with quote
My cousin just got back recently from that area, who is a journalist. He was having similar symptoms but not anything that pointed to intestinal, more nutritional. My Aunt just told me he found he had a parasite he had picked up that was eating all his nutrients and led to his symptoms. If you don't respond to anything else, you may just keep an eye out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
My cousin just got back recently from that area, who is a journalist. He was having similar symptoms but not anything that pointed to intestinal, more nutritional. My Aunt just told me he found he had a parasite he had picked up that was eating all his nutrients and led to his symptoms. If you don't respond to anything else, you may just keep an eye out.

eep! Scary! Hopefully that isn't what I picked up...but typically everyone who goes over inevitably picks something up...I fortunately didn't...not that I was aware of...hmm...perhaps I'll have to get a more thorough work-up done by my GP. When I got back I did a basic blood work and I was good to go.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:10 am      Reply with quote
Then it sounds like that wasn't the case-it just sort of rang a bell to me when she started talking about it. Hope you get it figured out soon, I know what it feels like to have the sudden loss of your lion's mane (pride and joy for a Leo). Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my, hair problems like this should definitely be looked at by a dermatologist. Could be a serious medical issue!

Stress though is a killer. I also hear that becoming pregnant can do this to you as well. A friend of mine had problems with her hair falling out which is even worse then hair that's thinning. She says you can go to the vitamin store and get something for hair and nail growth. She has the best hair i've ever seen so I guess it worked on her!! Smile
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
The last couple weeks I've noticed that my hair has thinned down considerably since coming back from Nepal (3 months there)...I'm thinking the extra stresses of life here, and perhaps the difference in water composition is causing it...I'm only 23 so I'm thinking/hoping it's not an age thing, hahaha!

Any suggestions for shampoos?

I've been washing my hair everyday as my hair gets greasy pretty fast...sometimes it doesn't last the day Sad

Have you tried Nourkin extra strength, these tablets help with thinning hair. Aslo it is best not to wash the hair every day as it strips the natural oils on the scalp. It is best you se a shampoo for greasy hair evey other day and do not use conditioner on the roots. Hopes that helps.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hannalee,

My sister went to the doctor with the following complaints: weak, lethargic/lack of energy, thinning of the hair, pale skin, and frequent bouts of sadness and anxiety.
The doctor decided to do some blood work to see if the cause was due to an emotional problem (she underwent many stresses too) or a vitamin deficiency. And it turns out she was low in vitamin B12. She took some sort of vitamin B12 shot that lasted a few months, and noticed a significant increase in energy level AND noticed fuller hair once again. I'm not sure how close the connection is, however I do believe iron and B12 deficiencies are somehow related. Is it possible you may be low in either iron or vit B12?

Definitely see a doctor before self-diagnosing.

Best of luck!

Oh, and btw, how did your interviews go?
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and here is some more information on vitamin B12 just in case you are interested Wink

"Vitamin B12 occurs naturally only in animal foods, like meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and milk products. It is also added to some foods or beverages like fortified soy and rice beverages...Vegetarian diets may be low in vitamin B12."

Also, it is best to get vitamins that exist naturally in foods rather than to resort to supplements.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:09 am      Reply with quote
OMG..Do you feel stress these days? Because stress and pressure may be contribute to hair loss. BTW, You can try to take some vitamin B which is good for hair
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Another sign of amaenia is tiredness and out of breath, especially when walking upstairs - not to mixed up with being unfit - which is the category Im in Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the relies!

Well...I basically have a bit of all of the above Razz

some days I do feel really tired, like my body is in slow motion...I've been getting severe headaches (perhaps migraines, my sis has a history and is on hard meds for it) and on those days I sort of get a head rush if I get up too fast.

I'm not a vegetarian, but since coming back from Nepal, my body doesn't handle a lot of meat too well, so I've had to limit it on that alone. I'm also for the first time in my life, in good shape! I can actually do ~20 pushups (a year ago, I could barely do one girl pushup!)

I have been trying to take my multivitamin, but I may stop in a health food store and pick up some a B complex supplement.

I'll try to get to a doc to get blood work done.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |