Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Those who have FIXED their long, damaged, thick hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
klz212

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I have seen topics like this before, but I was hoping you could do something specific for me?

I have long (below breast level) VERY thick (finer strands but very dense), unruly wavy hair that I have been semi-permanently coloring and very recently I permanantly colored it for the first time. My hair is breaking, frizzy and dry feeling. I am interested in fixing it. I used the dreaded Pantene for a long time, Herbal Essences, a crap Aveda, and am back to John Frieda's Red Shampoo. Could those of you with hair somewhat similar to me tell me what has worked for you? Or if you have any specific suggestions? I have heard good things about Emergencee . . .

Thank you ever so much!

-Kelly
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
My hair is exactly what you describe, but I don't keep it that long anymore..

The very best conditioner for dry, damaged, or processed hair I've ever come across in my life is; "Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream", and believe me, I've tried them all.

It's an after shampoo conditioner, and the instructions are very simple and on the jar. You can buy it for $3.99 in any large drugstore. If you use it a couple of times a week, your hair will be silky and shiny in no time.

In a pinch, mayonnaise works wonders as a conditioner also. Just dollop it on and leave about 30 minutes before your shower.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
You may get some good answers from the naturallycurly forum
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Someone just gave me a bottle of Wen cleansing conditioner, and I love it. My hair is very soft and has a lot of body.

WEN by Chaz Dean
echokitten
5% products discount

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I highly recommend Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning treatment. You can use it as a DT or a leave in (which I do) and as a daily condish.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry to say this klz, especially if you're trying to keep the length but one of the best things you can do is get yourself to a great stylist and have the damaged ends removed. Then you can maintain it with Sudzz FX.

I have naturally curly hair that tangles if I even look at it wrong Laughing It's a very fine and delicate texture because of that curl and I baby it. I've been using Sudzz FX for over a year now and just love what it's done for me. My hair is left very soft, silky and I control the frizz by using a T-shirt to dry my hair instead of a towel. [Learned about THAT one from the naturally curly hair forum and my new stylist who's trained in the Deva method of cutting curly hair.

Good luck and stay away from PANTENE! Smile

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
echokitten
5% products discount

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
I'm sorry to say this klz, especially if you're trying to keep the length but one of the best things you can do is get yourself to a great stylist and have the damaged ends removed. Then you can maintain it with Sudzz FX.

I have naturally curly hair that tangles if I even look at it wrong Laughing It's a very fine and delicate texture because of that curl and I baby it. I've been using Sudzz FX for over a year now and just love what it's done for me. My hair is left very soft, silky and I control the frizz by using a T-shirt to dry my hair instead of a towel. [Learned about THAT one from the naturally curly hair forum and my new stylist who's trained in the Deva method of cutting curly hair.

Good luck and stay away from PANTENE! Smile

AMEN! Pantene is the worst. The tshirt in place of a towel is the best trick I learned from NCurly.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much!

I know I have to cut it, but I really love my hair long, so I want to know how to keep it up once I get the crap cut off.

THANK YOU!!! I know there have been many similar topics so thank you for responding to mine!
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
Virgin coconut oil is the best for damaged hair! I always go back to vco when conditioners don't do the job well enough.

And honey rinses are great, too (learnt this trick from one of the EDSers, Ariesxtreme I think it was. One of the best tips I got from here!)
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
Virgin coconut oil is the best for damaged hair! I always go back to vco when conditioners don't do the job well enough.

And honey rinses are great, too (learnt this trick from one of the EDSers, Ariesxtreme I think it was. One of the best tips I got from here!)

Hi Pumpingmummy,
Can you describe how to make honey rinses? Thank you.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
My hair is exactly what you describe, but I don't keep it that long anymore..

The very best conditioner for dry, damaged, or processed hair I've ever come across in my life is; "Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream", and believe me, I've tried them all.

It's an after shampoo conditioner, and the instructions are very simple and on the jar. You can buy it for $3.99 in any large drugstore. If you use it a couple of times a week, your hair will be silky and shiny in no time.

In a pinch, mayonnaise works wonders as a conditioner also. Just dollop it on and leave about 30 minutes before your shower.

Hi Kassy,
I got the Cholesterol from Sally. Do you leave it on for 20 mins or do you use it like a conditioner just leaving it on for 3 mins while still in the shower? I've not been regularly using it since I got a bit lazy with the long wait.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
My hair is bra-strap length right now and I can't seem to get it past this length. I keep burning it when I cook! Embarassed Anyway, I guess it's kinda good since I have an excuse to cut off dead ends. Also since I'm only 5'1, longer hair will probably make me look shorter anyway. But I digress! I just want to reply that I feel like I sorta fixed my dry, damaged hair (not sure damaged from what exactly since I did the Japanese hair straightening like 2 years ago, so all that should have already grown out and cut off, and I don't color my hair). Anyway I am using L'Oreal Vive Pro Smooth Intense (orange bottle), and also the pink bottle (don't recall what it's called). My hair now got bounce and after I blowdry it, it looks healthy. If I don't blowdry and let it airdry, there'll be some frizzy strands.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="bkkgirl. Hi Kassy,
I got the Cholesterol from Sally. Do you leave it on for 20 mins or do you use it like a conditioner just leaving it on for 3 mins while still in the shower? I've not been regularly using it since I got a bit lazy with the long wait./quote]

Would you believe, I have the stuff in my hair right now!!

You put a nice dollop on hair that has been shampooed and is still damp, then you just leave it in 20 or 30 minutes, then just rinse thoroughly with plain water and style as usual. Since it's a bit time consuming, it's a nice thing to do on a day off. It also has even better results if you cover your head with plastic wrap OR even sit in the sun for a few minutes..(Heat helps it to penetrate, so even a few minutes with a blow dryer works, if your pressed for time.)

Can you believe how cheap it is?? Gotta luv that..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
[quote="bkkgirl. Hi Kassy,
I got the Cholesterol from Sally. Do you leave it on for 20 mins or do you use it like a conditioner just leaving it on for 3 mins while still in the shower? I've not been regularly using it since I got a bit lazy with the long wait./quote]

Would you believe, I have the stuff in my hair right now!!

You put a nice dollop on hair that has been shampooed and is still damp, then you just leave it in 20 or 30 minutes, then just rinse thoroughly with plain water and style as usual. Since it's a bit time consuming, it's a nice thing to do on a day off. It also has even better results if you cover your head with plastic wrap OR even sit in the sun for a few minutes..(Heat helps it to penetrate, so even a few minutes with a blow dryer works, if your pressed for time.)

Can you believe how cheap it is?? Gotta luv that..

I think the price is awesome! A friend at work recommended it. I use this and alternate it with extra virgin coconut oil but find that the coconut oil is MUCH MUCH harder to rinse off. I have to completely get in the shower and shampoo my hair all over again.

I bought the heat cap from Sally, too, when I bought the Cholesterol. I really need to use it more often. I often shampoo my hair in the morning and rush out to work, which is why I often fail to do the deep conditioning step. I need to wake up a 1/2 hour early to get this step done next time.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I had to nurture my hair back to health after having the Japanese straightening system done to it. The biggest factor is using lots of deep, deep conditioner on it to protect it.

Because I'm naturally curly, I follow the curly girl routing of no shampoo, conditioner only, air dry naturally. It would be best to cut off any damage so you can start with a clean slate. Be as gentle as you can: no heat styling, no "tearing" at your hair while brushing, lots of high quality products (ie no silicones).

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
echokitten
5% products discount

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
I had to nurture my hair back to health after having the Japanese straightening system done to it. The biggest factor is using lots of deep, deep conditioner on it to protect it.

Because I'm naturally curly, I follow the curly girl routing of no shampoo, conditioner only, air dry naturally. It would be best to cut off any damage so you can start with a clean slate. Be as gentle as you can: no heat styling, no "tearing" at your hair while brushing, lots of high quality products (ie no silicones).

ITA with this and am a Curly Girl also. I don't use shampoo either. I chopped all of my hair off about 4 years ago and it was the best move I ever made. It was really dry and totally damaged from repeated bad dye jobs. I hated it while it was growing out but it had to be done. Now it's almost waist length and I have no spit ends and it shiny soft and healthy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Hi Pumpingmummy,

I just basically stir about a tablespoonful of honey into a cup of water and pour it over my head after washing my hair. Squeeze out excess water from your hair and let it dry and/or style it as you would normally. HTH!
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:59 am      Reply with quote
echokitten wrote:
tsjmom wrote:

ITA with this and am a Curly Girl also. I don't use shampoo either. I chopped all of my hair off about 4 years ago and it was the best move I ever made. It was really dry and totally damaged from repeated bad dye jobs. I hated it while it was growing out but it had to be done. Now it's almost waist length and I have no spit ends and it shiny soft and healthy.

I've been trying to grow mine out for 1 1/2 yrs now (I'm a 3a-3b), but I swear it's getting shorter Laughing BTW Echokitten, I'm fro Cincinnati, too (originally).

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I have long, bleached blonde hair that used to be very damaged. The ONLY thing that helps is Kerastase. One of their deep conditioners, once or twice a week. AND getting haircuts every other month. IT'S THE BEST STUFF EVER!! I have used everything from natural things made in my kitchen to salon products and Kerastase really makes a difference Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:
Hi Pumpingmummy,

I just basically stir about a tablespoonful of honey into a cup of water and pour it over my head after washing my hair. Squeeze out excess water from your hair and let it dry and/or style it as you would normally. HTH!

Does it make your hair or scalp feel sticky at all? I have tons of honey, so this should be interesting to try.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Cut your hair.
If you get at least a few inches off, your hair will look dramatically better.
There is nothing worse than super long unhealthy looking hair.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
To echokitten and tjsmom, I'm really intrigued and tempted to try the no-shampoo method. I do have some questions. Won't there be a conditioner build-up after a while? What if I use hairspray? I have long, thick, wavy hair that I keep trimmed at the ends. Instead of silicones (which I have no problems using and really keep my hair behaving well), what do you recommend instead? I would like to be free from using curling irons or flat irons to get my hair in the same condition as yours (from your responses, I'm imagining naturally soft and healthy hair without frizz), but how in the world can I style my hair? Right now, I use the irons to control the frizz and for my bangs. Here's another ringer - unfortunately, I have to color my hair to cover grays.

Right now, with my current shampoo/conditioner/styling products, my hair looks and feels healthy. Without them, they're quite frizzy when they dry out naturally.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
pumpingmummy wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:
Hi Pumpingmummy,

Does it make your hair or scalp feel sticky at all? I have tons of honey, so this should be interesting to try.

Nope. Just happy shiny bouncy hair! I thought so too at first, but I was pleasantly surprised that there was no stickiness at all.

Blaze, a lot of curlies here also go to naturallycurly.com. They have a ton of info on the no-poo method. And to quickly answer your question re buildup, a rinse with ACV should help.

I have bra-strap length wavy hair that frizzes like nobody's business. If I use super moisturising shampoos my scalp gets oily and itchy (My favs are Redken Allsoft, Bedhead and Kerastase Nutritive, but while they are fantastic for my hair they cause problems to my scalp). Tresemme used to be okay for me til they bloody 'improved' the formula.

Anyhoos, the best thing for my hair and scalp these days is to wash with plain old baby shampoo mixed with some honey and/or olive oil (I can't do the no-poo completely, I just like the feel of shampoo), condition ends with any good conditioner I can lay my hands on (I have so many! usually Redken or TiGi Bedhead - the pink yummy smelling one, forgot the name) then do a honey rinse.

I pre-wash with coconut oil and a few drops of rosemary or tea tree eo about once a week and do the an ACV rinse whenever needed to get rid of buildup. I don't much use styling products, but when I do it's usually just coconut oil in damp hair and shea butter mixed with aloe vera gel for a soft hold. This seems to deal with both health and frizz issues. HTH some!
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy, thank you! I will have to try your recommendations. Frankly, this is quite a change for me, but I'm open to new things. As for the ACV rinse, do you dilute it with water and how much to do I use?
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome Smile

I normally dilute about one part ACV to about 4parts water, pour on head, let sit and rinse out. There are other variations and you might like to read this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=26696&highlight=acv+rinse

good luck let us know how it goes Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |