Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

need reassurance on obagi
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:49 am      Reply with quote
hi
i started the retin A weeks ago, and i knew that i would peel and be red. i was deeling with that. I have added the actual obagi now, i't only been a couple of days. Now my skin is really red, tight and wrinkly like snake skin. much worse than just the retin A. I don't know if this is normal. i didn't know the hydroquinone made it so much worse!!!
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hang in there!!!
But PLEASE don't be afraid to cut back.

If you do a search, I've posted about my baddies in my first week too.

I had to take it really slow because I was also looking like a tomato. My derm looked and me and told me I must have went crazy with the cream. She had to show me how much to use.

Whatever the box's instructions were, I used half of that. Plus, I didn't use it every day...especially on days I felt extra dry/red/scaly. I held off 1 full week before I decided to continue. Then, when I started again, I use it every other day and worked my way up. Now, I'm on maintenance and I can use the full gram!

Since you said you just added the obagi now, and it's only been a couple days, I'm guessing your reaction is exactly like how my skin reacted. Just know that it's normal, but cut down to every other day or every 2 days in the start up so that you don't look so "damaged"!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kareberry,

that is helpful. it is good to know i am not permanently damaging myself. di you still get good results even though you took it slow. did your skin stop looking horrid and turn beautiful at the end of your 18 weeks:)
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
also,
do people generally feel their skin looks healthier/younger at the end of this. has anyone ended up with their skin looking worse at the end of it? i guess i am still a little paranoid
carmen3rd

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
On my fifth week of Obaji and have not seen any lightening of my brown spots. I don’t have dark ones that are real noticeable to anyone but myself…(no its not in my head) I have been through the peeling, red face, and the burning itching skin and now its all very minimal, are there times where it will take a little longer for some people…I sure would like some input if anyone has any Confused (p.s. new to all of this) Smile
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
hi and Welcome carmen3rd ,
I am glad to hear your redness/peeling has calmed down. UNfortunately i am just starting so i i am not that helpful but I think it does vary from person to person with how long it takes . I know it is frustrating but it sounds like by the end of the 16 or 18 weeks people are very happy.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hang in! I just finished by 18th week of NuDerm and Iam on maintenance. You only use a 1/2 gram of the product crease of little finger to the top NO MORE. If it is to much still cut back to every 3 days with the stronger stuff. Get 5% hydracortseon cream at the chemist and that helps PM me and I will help you I wish I could figure out how to upload a photo on to the site to show you my skin HTH

5% products discount

Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
hi petu, hi think you and i are on a similar schedule on the obagi. maybe we can encourage each other through this process. i started everything on 4/1. i am a bit red, peeling a lot, very dry. i feel very wrinkly and i'm a bit self conscious that everyone thinks i've aged a ton whenever i smile and the laugh lines show. but, i really don't care too much since i am hoping for beautiful skin after this journey. my skin is pretty good to start with, but i'm trying to get rid of some uneven skin tones and sun spots. are you still feeling discouraged about the program?
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
If you do a search a lot of people had great results with Obagi. Some who come to mind are rileygirl and yaling.

A lot of people decided to start on obagi for hyperpigmentation, acne scars, uneven skintone, smoothing rough skin, etc. etc.

Personally, it was acne scars and hyperpigmentation for me and yes my freckles did lighten to being almost unnoticeable even on close up in the mirror! I didn't continue on maintenance which is why it all came back though. Laughing Too happy with my skin now to go through the whole process again.

Good luck! It's nice to have another eds member going thru it with you too so then you can share what you're experiencing without too much worry!

5% products discount

Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to get a co-worker to go on the program with me. She told me to try it first so she could see the results. It's good to have the EDS support group. The funny thing is that my husband is acting like he's interested and asking me what the products do and looking at before and after pictures with me. I'm sure he really couldn't care less except for the fact that I'm molting, but he'll appreciate it when I look great at the end of this. (I'm hoping anyway for all this self-inflicted torture....) He gets some points for his effort though! Very Happy
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for all the responses. it is so nice to have others go through it with you.

aewang,
That would be great if we could encourage each other. to be honest, i have pulled back a lot on the regime. I will go full on more, ehen i have built up some kind of tolerance for it. What skin type are you?
aewang
5% products discount

Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Petu, my skin is normal/dry, although sometimes my t-zone can get a bit shiny. I haven't had acne in years and years, although I did have it on my forehead as a teenager and in my 20s. Proactiv did wonders for me. Now I don't really need to use it. I'm in my 30s now and trying to combat sun damage and uneven skin tones. I'm doing the following regimen:

AM
Cleanser
Toner
Clear
Exfoderm
Healthy Skin Protection spf35

PM
Cleanser
Toner
Blender (mixed with Tretinoin every other night)

I'm using Action when I can't stand the dryness or when I'm flakey and in public. I've been rubbing skin off in the shower (very lightly.. it seems to come off easily when your skin is moist because of the steam/hot water), which seems to be keeping me from looking like a snake during the day. How much have you cut back?
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
i stopped using hydroquinone in the day for now. i was using the blender/retin-a everynight or ever sencond night, and the vitamin c w/hydroqinone in the morning. i am now using the retin a/blender every 2nd or 3rd night9varies) and nothing in the day( except my regular moisturizer. on the night i am not using retina, then i use my c serum w/hydroquinone. i know i should be using that in the day, but i will ease back into that. I am not doing things the way i am supposed to i guess. soon i will go to every second night with the retin a and c maybe every 2nd morning. i was getting a liitle scared for a bit. maybe seeing your progress with help me get a bit braver. btw, i am also a dry girl.
aewang
5% products discount

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
petu, what exactly was it that scared you off? i am very results oriented by nature, so i want to follow this through. we can do it together!!

i'm not so crazy to be too aggressive though, which is why i'm doing the retin-a every other night to start. also, i only put product on my neck for the first time a couple nights ago when i did the blender/retin-a mix. i noticed my neck was itchy and red the next morning but still put clear on it. my neck got itchier and redder as the day went on. i'm afraid to put anything on now. it's been a day and a half since i've used any active products on this area, and it's still red and a bit uncomfortable. i may really back off there and just do once a week or 2 times a week until my neck gets used to it a little.
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:54 am      Reply with quote
i was getting worried that i was causing permanent damage, broken caps etc. I think i was too aggressive with it. i will see how i do every second night and maybe every second day with the C. keep me updated on your progress Smile
aewang
5% products discount

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:56 am      Reply with quote
i started flaking a bit in the evening after my first pm application of blender/retin a. the third day was when i started peeling a lot. i would get redder as the day went on. when i applied anything to my face, i would feel a burning sensation, even action, which is just a moisturizer and is not active. the burning could be a bit intense. i was peeling really badly on day 5 and 6. but today, the first day of week 2, i feel no more burning when i put products on. i'm also not flaking/peeling as much, probably due to the fact that i am doing the rubbing off excess skin in the shower each morning and when i'm washing my face in the evening. i feel that my skin is already getting used to the products, which i'm excited about! if i continue to tolerate the products well, maybe i'll start doing the retin-a every night starting week 3. i do still look more wrinkly though. the lines under my eyes when i smile are much more prominent than before, probably because my skin is still quite dry. but the dryness is becoming much more tolerable as my skin gets used to the products.
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:56 am      Reply with quote
i am back on retin A and blender every second day. i am peely a bit but not red. i think it was the c with hydroquinone that turned my skin so tight and red and snakelike. i don't know what to do with that yet? could c serum be that harsh and drying?
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
how strange, the action burns my face aswell. i thought it was just a moisturiser, but other moisturisers don't do that. anyone else had this experience with the action?
gonatural
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hang in there gals. I have 3 weeks to go and then I'll go on maintenance. Boy reading your posts does bring back memories. I still peel a little every now and then the lightly rubbing in the shower helps a lot. No more redness. People have stopped asking me where I got the sunburn or if I'm feeling alright. Confused Now I'm getting compliments. Someone actually asked me if I had botox done Laughing I started out slow as well because some days I thought I couldn't take it anymore, but reading the positive results here helped me to stick to it. I did use action during the day to help keep the flakyness somewhat under control and I have to say sometimes it did sting a little but was worth it to keep from looking like a snake. Keep encouraging each other, it's definately worth it in the end.
aewang
5% products discount

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Last night was blender/retin-a night so this morning, I didn't use exfoderm to see if I was red because of it. Well, it is the afternoon and I can tell that my face is red because it feels tight and warm. I was fine this morning, but by lunch time, my face started feeling warmer. So I think the blender/retin-a combo is what's making me red. I'm breaking out a little bit now. Getting some bumps around my hairline and forehead. I haven't really broken out in ages... Confused
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the encouragement gonatural. it sounds like you are happy with the results you're getting.

aewang , i am sorry to hear you are breaking out, i am a little too. this too shall pass Smile
aewang
5% products discount

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Petu, I'm definitely marching on though. At this point, I definitely want to see results so I will tough it out! How are you doing back on full the regime?
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
i am doing pretty good. i am definately peelong like crazy, but i can deal with that better than the tight shrivelled up look i got before. i am holding off on the c , except for some nights. because i think that was irritating my skin too much with everything else. the action stings but it is really helping with the look of the flakiness, so i will keep it on me
aewang
5% products discount

Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
the shriveled, wrinkly red look is definitely not good. i alternate between this and the white flakey mess look. the action definitely helps. i can't wait for this phase to go away. i can handle it though.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 7:03 am      Reply with quote
WoW Everbody in this forum has a same experience with Obagi,,peeling, flacky, itch..redness..but I didn't have that experience so far I have been using for 2 days....though..I did't feel any difference...What if obagi didn't work for me??? Sad I have a lot of freckles which I don't like them. I don't see any fading frecklessssss ...but I will stick to Obagi for now..hope I can see the results like others.. Question
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |