Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair color and swimming
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've been dying my hair blonde for a few years now. I'm naturally a light brown. I've recently decided to go back to my original color. I got my hair dyed dark yesterday (Tuesday) and I'll be on a beach in Mexico this Saturday. My hairdresser didn't think it was an issue to dye so close to my vacation. She didn't have any ideas that might help protect the color. I'm not crazy about a swimming cap. Is there anything I can use to not ruin the color or damage my hair? Something I can find locally at a department store, Ulta, Sally Beauty Supply or Sephora? Thanks
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I've never used it myself but Philip Kingsley's Swimcap is a product that you put in your hair to protect it whilst swimming. In a similar vein, you could always put plenty of rich conditioner in your hair before entering the water. Or, as a cheaper alternative, you might want to thoroughly wet it with clean, non-salinated/non-chlorinated water at first to help cut down on absorption of sea or swimming pool water.
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the tips!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:58 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome. Have a great holiday! Very Happy
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:20 am      Reply with quote
I color my own hair to cover gray. I live on the coast and never had a problem with salt water. After swimming I put on a hat. When home I wash and condition well.

Last month I went on a Disney vacation with my family. Pool swimming is another story. My hair was three shades lighter with a greenish tint. This must have happened from clorine.

If ocean swimming you should be fine with a hat and rinsing your hair ASAP after the beach. I can't help you with pools and colored hair. Looking forward to some advice myself.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
I know there are certain shampoos that help rid of chlorine and salt water, etc. But i'd just recommend if you're hair isn't blonde to just make sure you rinse off with fresh water after leaving anything with chlorine and/or salt water. Make sure you use a really good conditioner and leave in conditioner too!
Northerngirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:09 am      Reply with quote
I went to Punta Cana for 2 weeks this past Jan I used the following products, and I also used these exact same products when I went to Mexico last year...

Redken UV Rescue After-Sun Shampoo & Conditioner.
Redken Color Extend Rich Defender - protective treatment for color-treated hair. I used this every third day.
Infusion leave in spray-in conditioner for colored hair. I would always rinse off as soon as I got out of the ocean or pool. Showers are located all around the resort.

The products did help, but the water in Mexico is harsh and my hair still did feel like straw most days.

Enjoy your trip.
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Joico also has k-pak sun rescue and shampoo for chlorine. It works wonders!!
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I'm back and my hair color's just fine. I ran out of time to get any products. I just got it wet before going in the water and rinsed it as soon as I could. We ended up skipping the pools in favor of the beaches so no pool water to worry about. However, my hair is now extremely dry and feels real nasty. I'm going to do a clarifying shampoo and hair mask tomorrow. Hopefully, that'll help.
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Misha wrote:
Well, I'm back and my hair color's just fine. I ran out of time to get any products. I just got it wet before going in the water and rinsed it as soon as I could. We ended up skipping the pools in favor of the beaches so no pool water to worry about. However, my hair is now extremely dry and feels real nasty. I'm going to do a clarifying shampoo and hair mask tomorrow. Hopefully, that'll help.

What would be even better is if you put a deep conditioner in your hair...and leave it in overnight. You could use one of those bags for your hair (not sure where you get those) or do what i do... put a towel on your pillow.

Sometimes i'll just put saran wrap on my head and put a warm towel on and just leave that for a half an hour!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
A shower cap is great for wearing during an overnight hair treatment.
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I did a deep conditioner overnight and it worked wonders! I'd never left it on overnight before. I was always afraid of the mess it would leave but it wasn't bad at all. My hair's better than normal now. Thanks!
hopeful
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:58 am      Reply with quote
heres some tips that might help
1. always do a cool water rinse to seal in color and close cuticle after every wash, this is esp important right after color.

2. before going in the water spray hair lightly with a leave in conditioner(you can make your own just use a couple squirts conditioner and water in a spray bottle) this will help put a coating on your hair to protect from harsh chemicals, think of hair like a sponge when dry and you jump in the pool the hair sucks up the chemicals, but if you spray a leave in on your hair , your hair is protected and when your hair is already damp it will not suck up the chemicals as much

3. always use a chlorine shampoo with in 12 hours of swimming, any longer the chlorine will not come out, cholrine shampoo will not take out old cholrine buildup (even though they say they will) but prevent new cholorine from depositing from hair.

4 if you have cholorine build up (signs are , as every one know green or grayish tint on blondes, but also, if your hair is shiny like barbie doll shiny, and when wet when you sqeeze your hair if its stays scrunched that a sign of chorine, and also your hair dresser will know because hair that has cholorine will be very hard to cut, its hard to get a straight fluid cut.

a good home remedy that works is tomato paste, apply on dry or slightly damp hair and comb thru for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, you will actually see white grayish flakes come off, one of my clients said it looked like a egg shells , it works though
and to help prevent once a month use baking soda with your shampoo, make a paste and massage into hair and leave on for 1/2 hour to 1 hour and rinse very well
hth

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I know more than one blonde whose hair has gone green from the chlorine - please becareful.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |