Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The 2 Safest Physical Sunscreens: Badger and Mexitan
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:51 am      Reply with quote
I just came across this website about the 2 safest physical sunscreens on the market and thought I would share it. They are Badger and Mexitan.
http://eregimens.com/therapies/Toxins/ToxinAvoidance/BodyCare/Sunscreens.htm

I have been using Mexitan for about 6 months and I'm very impressed. Since I started, I haven't gotten any hyperpigmentation on my upper chest or arms. It's the clearest my decollete has ever looked! It doesn't leave a heavy white caste, but does leave a very light one. It is fairly priced (I think it was about $15 and I still have half a bottle left, 6 months later!)When I bought mine (from their website) the person that answered the phone was one of the owners, very personable and informative. I highly recommend this product and so did that website!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
cookie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Could you tell me if the Mexitan is very heavy on your face?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendation, Mountaingirl. Do you know if these are available at drugstores, too, or they have to be purchased on this web site?
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
You can only purchase from their website as far as I know. I rarely ever use it on my face, except if I'm going hiking and sure to get some sun on my face. It does leave a slight and light whitish caste...not terrible, and honestly, I may start using it on my face now too, when I run out of my Z Cote and Devita. I think you may need to add it to a something else though, to lighten it up. For $15, its not too much an investment to check it out.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mountaingirl - I'll use this for the bod and save the expensive stuff for the face Very Happy
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:03 am      Reply with quote
ok...this morning I put Mexitan on my face instead of my usual moisturizer/sunscreen. I blended it in well and NO trace of whiteness. So, YES, I do think it is good for the face. I will switch to using Mexitan on my face when I run out of my other stuff. Actually I was surprised how moisturizing it was too.

edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:49 am      Reply with quote
could you list the ingredients please? thanks!
havana8

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Mexican SPF 8
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (2.5%), Zinc Oxide (2.5%)
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Sunflower Oil, Lecithin, Coconut Oil, Glycerine, Xanthan Gum, Green Tea Extract, Jojoba Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Shea Butter, Eucalyptus Oil

Mexican SPF 30
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (6.0%), Zinc Oxide (6.0%)
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Sunflower Oil, Lecithin, Coconut Oil, Glycerine, Xanthan Gum, Green Tea Extract, Jojoba Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Shea Butter, Eucalyptus Oil

Mexican SPF 50
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (6.0%), Zinc Oxide (22.5%)

http://www.mexitanproducts.com/spf8label.html

Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen
Active Ingredient: Micronized Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natural Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Wild African Shea Butter, Organic CO2 Extract of Seabuckthorn Berry, and Essential Oils of Lavender, Moroccan Blue Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Lime and Orange

http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-372-spf-30-for-face-body.aspx
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Which Mexitan SPF level did you use on your face that did not leave a white-ish cast? I would be extremely surprised if it's the SPF 50 but also thrilled if it is the SPF 50....
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I use the SPF 30....I've never tried any other of their product. When I put it on my face this morning, I did NOT slather it on as heavily as I do my arms and upper chest...but I did cover my face. You need to rub it in and it pretty much disappears. My face was a bit shiny today, not as matt as when I use my Devita and Z Cote. Why SPF 50???

Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
'Cause if I ever find a physical sunblock with an SPF that high that doesn't make me look like a white slimy greaseball I will be in heaven!

BTW - I have resigned myself to the fact that such a product will never exist but hey, we can all dream, no?
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have never heard of Mexitan but really glad to learn about it.

Mountaingirl, any thoughts on whether Mexitan would be a good fit with acne prone skin?

Thanks.
Shelly
osharon
5% products discount

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I know that Badger is safest physical sunscreen so I just bought a sample size. I also bought some other brands physical sunscreen (Keys-soap, Colorescience...). But not yet tried.

Mexitan - never heard before. But I would like to try it after reading your review.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Shelly..I just don't know how it would be on acne prone skin. It does have 4 different oils in it and Sunflower Oil is the 1st ingredient on the ("inactive ingredient") list, then Coconut oil, Almond oil is the 4th and Eucalyptus next to last. Can you face handle that many oils?

shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:27 am      Reply with quote
I don't know what my face can handle anymore - it's like Jeckle and Hyde - haha...guess the only way to tell is to try it and see what happens. Thanks!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:15 am      Reply with quote
I've tried Badger Balm- it's way too heavy on my face and once this bottle is empty from using on arms and legs, I won't reorder. The texture is heavy, thick and the white cast never, ever goes away. I'm sorry but if something that's supposed to be so good for you is so awful to use, it won't be used.

I've heard of Mexitan and while I couldn't use it on my face, I'd love to try it on the rest of me! Still have so many failed facial sunblocks to use up before I allow myself to buy anymore... Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought the Mexitan spf 50. It's 25$ including shipping for an 8 oz bottle so I figure that it's worth a try. My reasoning for getting the spf50 is that this way I'll have to use less of it.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I have never heard of mexitan-will research website now))
JesseGirl
5% products discount

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Girlzmommie"]'Cause if I ever find a physical sunblock with an SPF that high that doesn't make me look like a white slimy greaseball I will be in heaven!

BTW - I have resigned myself to the fact that such a product will never exist but hey, we can all dream, no?[/quote]

Have you ever tried Fallene's Total Block? It dries clear, has an SPF of 65. I really like it. I put it on my face and have sensitive skin and it doesn't bother me at all. I use emu oil and find that to be much greasier than this.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I just bought the Mexitan spf 50. It's 25$ including shipping for an 8 oz bottle so I figure that it's worth a try. My reasoning for getting the spf50 is that this way I'll have to use less of it.

Nimue.. how did you get on with the Mexitan?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Nimue.. how did you get on with the Mexitan?

Catski,

It wasn't totally awful and I did use it for a while but I think that there are better physical sunscreens out there. My biggest problem with the Mexitan sunscreen is that it would flake if I rubbed it, so I had to be super careful in applying it not to rub it at all. I've since moved on to Devita and I absolutely love it.

I'm using the Devita for body, and it's not expensive. I actually want to try the facial Devita sunscreen soon too, because I'm told that it's more matte, which is good for summer. I love Devita so much, I've even told a coworker in the office about it! Very Happy I gave her a sample and she loved it, so as soon as it's in stock again I'll order some for both of us (and save on shipping).

By the way, I also tried the Badger sunscreen, and that was significantly worse that Mexitan- although it didn't flake it was super thick and waxy. Hth!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Nimue. It DOES help.

Glad you found the Devita, too.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue, I am adding some sunscreens to your box to test...Remergent Spf 30, Leaf & Rusher, Vanquish, and Blue Lizard. After all, you ARE the EDS Sunscreen Expert! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Nimue, I am adding some sunscreens to your box to test...Remergent Spf 30, Leaf & Rusher, Vanquish, and Blue Lizard. After all, you ARE the EDS Sunscreen Expert! Very Happy

Bethany, wow, that's really generous of you! Then I'll really have to write that sunscreen review I'm been meaning to do. But since it'll be strictly comparing different physical sunscreens, it's best just to stick to purely physical sunscreens. I've had an allergic reaction or 2 to some chemical sunscreens (and I've also seen some evidence that they could be harmful), so for me it's best to just stay away from them and stick to zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.

I know Blue Lizard has physical sunscreens, I haven't heard of Vanquish, and I didn't know that the other ones had all physical sunscreens. If they do, that's awesome, and it would be great for me to try it and then be able to compare them to the other physical sunscreens I've tried and share that info with EDS. If not- if they're part chemical and part physical then they're already in a different category than the all physical sunscreens so I wouldn't be able to compare them.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:44 am      Reply with quote
Remergent SPF30 contains:
Photosomes, Ultrasomes, vitamins C and E, micronized Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide

I remember you said micronized titanium is not a very good idea Confused

don`t know about the other ones...

Nimue, may I also suggest Obagi Physical Nu-Derm and Osmosis Shelter for your list? Rolling Eyes

Obagi Nu-Derm Physical UV Block SPF 32 Containing 18.5% micronized zinc oxide, this chemical-free formula provides superior protection without irritation.

Osmosis Shelter SPF 29+ Sunblock Moisturizer contains:
Phosphatidylcholine
Zinclear (20%) - micronized silica-coated zinc
Shea butter
Catalase
Superoxide Dismutase
L-Glutathione
Sorbitan Palmitate (from olive oil)
Sorbitan Olivate (from olive oil)
Cetyl Palmitate (from olive oil)
L-sodium lactate
L-sodium PCA
Hyaluronic acid
Lemon Essential Oil
Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Lime Essential Oil
Sorbic acid
Naturotics
Japanese Honeysuckle
Liquid Crystals

Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |