Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Labeled SPF is not consistent with the CIBA Simulator
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
As titled. I ran the Avene SPF 50 thru the CIBA Simulator to check it's PPD. To my surprise, it's only a PPD of 6 and a SPF of 30. So why does Avene labeled it SFP 50 when in fact it's only 30. Avene is not the only one. I checked a couple too and they're all the same. The labeled SPF is higher than it's supposed to be.

Also, another question is how reliable is this CIBA Simulator? They don't even have Mexoryl or Tinosorb there for me to check. Sad
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
What's a CIBA Simulator?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Girlzmommie, it's a device to figure out the PPD of a sunscreen. You enter the % of the active ingredients and it'll tell u it's SPF & PPD.

http://128.246.31.236/index/ind-index/ind-per_car/skin_care___sun_care_actives/tinosorb-registered-_uv_filters/ind-pc-uv-sss-2.htm
pink_planet
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:16 am      Reply with quote
So true. I had a dermatologist look at Sofina matte sunscreen or watever its called and turns out it's not much of a sunscreen. It felt too good to be a sunscreen haha. So sad that us consumers are always cheated like that Sad
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:25 am      Reply with quote
pink_planet wrote:
So true. I had a dermatologist look at Sofina matte sunscreen or watever its called and turns out it's not much of a sunscreen. It felt too good to be a sunscreen haha. So sad that us consumers are always cheated like that Sad

ACK! I haven't even received mine yet! sigh.

I guess when I get it in the mail I can check the ingredients on the simulator and get officially depressed.

I'm using it anyway.

fudge.
Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
yeah it's sad I know. I ordered two bottles of Sofina sunscreen but everything's all in japanese so I can't understand the ingredients. But it's PA+++ (PPD Cool and the sun in Japan is quite bright, so I assume if it works there, it should be ok here in Canada or US?
keickholt

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
As titled. I ran the Avene SPF 50 thru the CIBA Simulator to check it's PPD. To my surprise, it's only a PPD of 6 and a SPF of 30. So why does Avene labeled it SFP 50 when in fact it's only 30. Avene is not the only one. I checked a couple too and they're all the same. The labeled SPF is higher than it's supposed to be.

Also, another question is how reliable is this CIBA Simulator? They don't even have Mexoryl or Tinosorb there for me to check. Sad

Hello,

You have to use the drop down menu and select "Europe" to see Mexoryl or Tinosorb. That's because those ingredients are not available in U.S. sunscreens. (Well, some products now have one of the Mexoryls.)

Also, SPF and PPD are affected by the inactive ingredients, too, like antioxidants, silicones, iron oxides, etc. That's why 2 products can have the exact same % of active ingredients and still have a different labeled SPF or PPD.

The CIBA simulator doesn't take this into consideration, however, and only allows you to input the actual sunscreen filters. There is a place where you can enter the "actual labeled SPF", but it doesn't really do much good because it doesn't help you calculate the PPD based on the labeled SPF.

I have found the CIBA simulator to be VERY helpful.

Kathleen
keickholt

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
yeah it's sad I know. I ordered two bottles of Sofina sunscreen but everything's all in japanese so I can't understand the ingredients. But it's PA+++ (PPD Cool and the sun in Japan is quite bright, so I assume if it works there, it should be ok here in Canada or US?

PA +++ is usually a PPD of 8 or more.

Sunscreen labeling is very confusing. Shiseido SPF 50 PA +++ only has a PPD of about 8, but if you look at the graph of the actual protection on CIBA simulator, you see you are actually blocking quite a bit of the UVA rays -- at least in my opinion. On the other hand, some sunscreens have super high PPD, but if you look at the graph, you are blocking most of the UVA through 380, but hardly any between 380 and 400.

That's why I like to use the CIBA simulator.

Kathleen
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
It's not possible to calculate the SPF and PPD of European sunscreens because they don't disclose the % of the ingredients.

Avene uses a patented technology called MPI-Sorb which incorporates zinc oxide with Tinosorb M so that they work synergistically as a mixed physical and chemical sunscreen agent. The CIBA simulator doesn't take into account special formulations of the ingredients.
keickholt

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I have a PPD of the documentation Avene and Bioderma submitted to the FDA when they were trying to get approval and it does disclose the % of active ingredients. Someone gave this to me a few years ago, but you're right about not taking MPI-SORB or other things into account. But anyhoo, some of paperwork they submitted even includes graphs of the protection, at least Bioderma does. I don't remember anymore for Avene.

At any rate, I always think of the CIBA as useful for at least an idea of what protection you're getting. If nothing else, it serves as the worst case scenario.

Cheers
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I thought you couldn't label anything as having an SPF unless you had the product tested by a laboratory. So, it seems like the labeling would be correct.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
I thought you couldn't label anything as having an SPF unless you had the product tested by a laboratory. So, it seems like the labeling would be correct.

I agree. Avene and Bioderma would have had their sunscreens properly tested. The CIBA simulator is only a theoretical tool to give a rough indication of the SPF and PPD. It is useful to compare sunscreens against each other but ultimately we still have to go by the formal testing.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
keickholt wrote:
Actually, I have a PPD of the documentation Avene and Bioderma submitted to the FDA when they were trying to get approval and it does disclose the % of active ingredients. Someone gave this to me a few years ago, but you're right about not taking MPI-SORB or other things into account. But anyhoo, some of paperwork they submitted even includes graphs of the protection, at least Bioderma does. I don't remember anymore for Avene.

At any rate, I always think of the CIBA as useful for at least an idea of what protection you're getting. If nothing else, it serves as the worst case scenario.

Cheers

If you didn't key in the data for the Tinosorb, you would definitely get an underestimation of the SPF and PPD since Tinosorb would contribute significantly to both.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |