Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

non SLS shampoo for oily scalp
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
I actually like the drying effect from SLS shampoos in a way because the healthier non SLS shampoos are moisturizing and my scalp gets to oily in a day or two. Also the dryness from SLS shampoos actually make my hair fuller and wavier looking. Any suggestions? Of course I would much prefer not to use SLS for health reasons.
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
maybe a sprinkle of baking soda into the non-SLS shampoo?

the only thing is, you'd then want to make sure you followed it with an acidic rinse to balance the ph of your scalp and hair.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 am      Reply with quote
what would an acidic rise be? ACV?
pink_planet
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:52 am      Reply with quote
I don't know what SLS is but when my hair is more oily I use Neutrogena's...plain shampoo. I don't remember the name but it's clear-yellow color and is the cleanest shampoo ever!
echokitten
5% products discount

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:42 am      Reply with quote
SLS is Sodium Laurel or Sodium Laureth Sulphate. It's an animal fat based soap. It's the ingredient that creates the soapy sudsy-ness that is associated with soap products.
IMO, it's the reason why many people have such bad skin problems, like dryness and premeture aging, Because it strips all of the natural oils from skin and hair and for many people it's comedogenic.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:58 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest, yah, just a wee bit of ACV (or even regular white vinegar) mixed into a bunch of water or into your conditioner just so that the acid mantle of your skin isn't too disrupted.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
pustekuchen wrote:
mommydearest, yah, just a wee bit of ACV (or even regular white vinegar) mixed into a bunch of water or into your conditioner just so that the acid mantle of your skin isn't too disrupted.

Thanks. That is a simple inexpensive solution. Will give it a try.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Otherwise, LUSH has recently changed most of their shampoo bars to Non SLS.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
Otherwise, LUSH has recently changed most of their shampoo bars to Non SLS.

really, did they do that with regular soap too?

I like some Lush but something about it makes me sneeze.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
You mean the liquids? I dont think so but I know the bars are switched over except for Trichomania and The Blonde. Its funny, I have asthma but I can handle the smells of LUSH. I went into a store that sold rainwear including gumboots and had an attack. Even when I went to look at tires at Costco I had a problem.
cristaline
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
I rec'd Pureology Volume Shampoo which is SLS free. Awesome line!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily scalp, and dry hair because I have to color so often. I also love the Pureology line!

Nanoworks is nice, but I really like the Hydrate shampoo/conditioner, and it's cheaper! Does not make my scalp oily, yet does not dry the air...the conditioner has a cool, tingly feeling that feels so good!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
I discussed the Purology before. I use it too but I guess they must have just changed over to non SLS because the rest of us had the one with it. I had been using the one for color treated but it has SLS in it . Maybe the volumizing one is different or maybe they did just change the shampoo.. That is great. Does it still suds up? I have No Poo from Deva Care and No suds in that. I hate it. I need the suds to cut through my oil.
senesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
the new line of hair care from Molton Brown does not contain SLS.

They use Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
senesce wrote:
the new line of hair care from Molton Brown does not contain SLS.

They use Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate.

How is the Sodium Lauryl Sarcosinate better than Sodium Lauryl Sulfate?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Take a look at this thread - it's about washing your hair with conditioner only, no shampoo. I've been doing this for about a month now and I love it. I have a very oily scalp with dry ends because my hair is bleached. I wash my hair everyday because I just can't stand the "dirty" oily look it gets if I don't. However, now that I'm only using conditioner, my hair doesn't seem to get as greasy and it's so much more manageable.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Not a shampoo, but apple cider vinegar is great for an oily scalp. Of course you have to dilute it.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I don't even have an oily scalp and add ACV - the good stuff (not the Heinz variety) to a cup of water and I rinse with it - adds terrific shine!!!
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Oh baking soda, I never thought of that. I may have my husband try it. He has oily scalp. thanks.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |