Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Experience with Frownies?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Toby please let us know what the name of the packing tape is and how you get on with it. I've been using surgical tape for ages and while its a cheap alternative to Frownies, and "kind of" works, I'd love something more solid.

Thanks Smile
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I called a local Staples store here in the good old USA and they have a tape that is activated by water for box packaging....i think that is the one that we need. I will check it out and let you guys know what I find...woman on a missionImage

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Toby!! Very Happy Would be very interested in getting that one!
Someone mentioned that frownies where they were were v cheap for a years supply but in Australia it is pushing AUD50 for just a couple of months. Would like to DIY if poss as in the end it is just tape Wink
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I called a local Staples store here in the good old USA and they have a tape that is activated by water for box packaging....i think that is the one that we need. I will check it out and let you guys know what I find...woman on a missionImage

Toby, are you getting the one with fiberglass reinforcement or not? I just read this, and didn't like the sound of the reinforcement stuff (too many chemicals).

Quote:
"Water activated tape", "gummed paper tape" or "gummed tape" is starch or sometimes animal glue (gelatine) based adhesive on a paper backing. Gummed tape is used for closing and sealing boxes. Before closing corrugated fiberboard boxes, the tape is wetted/remoistened to make the adhesive sticky again.

A specific type of gummed tape is called reinforced gummed tape (RGT). The backing of this reinforced tape consists of two layers of paper with a cross-pattern of fiberglass filaments laminated between. The laminating adhesive had previously been asphalt but now is more commonly a hot-melt atactic polypropylene. This is often three inches or 75 mm wide.

Gummed tapes are described in ASTM D5749-01(2006) Standard Specification for Reinforced and Plain gummed Tape for Sealing and Securing.

Heavy duty gummed tapes are sometimes used as a manufacturers joint for boxes made of corrugated fiberboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhesive_tape

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
I just applied Frownies for the first time...major hassle! Mad

Hopefully it will get easier with time. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:35 am      Reply with quote
The sticky stuff used on frownies is gum arabic. The type of tape I am talking about has been used for 70+ years and the gum substance is gum arabic. The tape part is exactly the material used for the old brown paper bags that the grocery stores use or used. This is about gum arabic. I have no clue what the composition of this tape is but it is not strong without the addition of the gum arabic.
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200502/gum.arabic.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for doing the leg work Toby. Hopefully they will have something without fibreglass Shock
Pollyanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
good new for all of you looking for a cheaper alternative to frownies that works...
I've been using Frownies for about 10 odd years now and found these last month when going to buy my usual pack on ebay...
They are way easier to stick on and 1/4 the price!no need to wet them or anything-just like a cloth bandaid and super easy and painless to remove and much smaller and more discreet! I'm loving them.
The only negative I'd say is that I used to like to wear 2 adjoined as a diamond so they would get my forehead lines too! I did go through them faster that way but it was nice.With these you can't really put 2 side by side as somehow they leave a mark or skin bunches between.
Anyhow if you use them for between your eyes like me these are pretty great I think.
I believe the company has just launched and is just UK based Sad but there are links to buy for outside the uk though i guess with shipping won't realy save you much.I'm sure they will be more accessible soon-maybe via Amazon-I thought I read that somewhere...
Let me know if anyone tries them out..curious if anyone prefers them to frownies(no I don't work for the company Laughing just the curiosity of a long time user! Smile)Here's a link with their basic info:

http://www.myfrownease.co.uk/

p.s. I just looked and saw you can get them via Ebay in US so no shipping costs for those of you overseas-yay!

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Pollyanna,
The Frownease came up on another thread when discussing the frownies and one poster that was a frownie user tried them and was disappointed that they weren't stiff enough to handle the forehead wrinkles. Can you speak to the stiffness?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Pollyanna,
The Frownease came up on another thread when discussing the frownies and one poster that was a frownie user tried them and was disappointed that they weren't stiff enough to handle the forehead wrinkles. Can you speak to the stiffness?

sure Smile
well first like I said they aren't really even large enough to cover the whole forehead area. With Frowies you could by making a diamond pattern using 2 of the original frownease box for between eyes. But one of these frownease would not cover an area as large as the centre of forehead and they don't join well together to make a larger one because of their thickness.(hope that makes sense!)
I suppose if you had 1-2 or even 3 small individual forehead horizontal wrinkles spaced out you could apply these one by one as they are quite small but of course you'd use more...Sad They only come in this one shape/size for anywhere on the face.I've just measured them and they are 1 inch left to right and a bit over half an inch top to bottom. I imagine they would be best for the frown/glabellar line like I use it and the small smile lines at corners of mouth. I personally didn't find them all that comfortable on crows feet though I think this would depend on the person and if how deep an indentation they had on the side of their eye(mine is deeper).I think they'd be fine for someone else..
but that being said again it is the size of these that makes them so much more appealing to me for between the eye area because you look less like a freak in bed for example-my husband prefers these that's for sure Laughing
So now to more directly address your question Wink
I have NO issue whatsoever with the stiffness and find these far more sturdy and secure than original frownies which always were mostly unstuck from my face by morning..something I was never fully able to recitify after soo many years of use. These new ones feel like an extra thick cloth bandaid-the comfortable kind and I personally find that these do not budge!
Hope that helps Smile

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
Cheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
they work for me!
my skin looks better
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Pollyanna,

Toby, I just saw this on the ebay ad:

Quote:
Frownease’s self-adhesive patch features a revolutionary flexible plastic insert which stays put without peeling, crumbling or losing its grip.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Looks like I am going to have to give them a try...one never knows until they try! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Looks like I am going to have to give them a try...one never knows until they try! Very Happy

I just ordered some. Embarassed If I like them, I'll send you my Frownies! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Hey everyone, I'm new to trying to ward off the signs of anti-aging. I'm 34 and have the beginnings of an 11 on one side Confused slight crows feet and an indent in my forehead that just seems to be getting deeper. I know I frown in my sleep, because I catch myself doing it, I even frown with my mouth when sleeping?? So I have been following this thread with much interest. I typed in 'frownease' in e-bay search and nothing has come up either in Australia or international. Can anyone offer clues to this?
Also to the frownie users, how is it all going, are you achieving results still?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:48 am      Reply with quote
I haven't tried the frownease because I have a good supply of frownies. I have been using frownies for three years and while they help with lifting eyes and smoothing out forehead wrinkling what I see now is that they keep things at bay. Starting using them in my fifties is good but if I was in my thirties it would be a great preventative measure and no doubt would keep some wrinkles from forming.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply Toby. I have seen your other posts about STOP and Safetox - which I am very interested in trying, but will wait until they bring out the new model for the Safetox in 2011. Hopefully it might have an AC adapter so you don't have to spend all that money on the bateries.
Anway, so I think I will start with some facial excersizes and the frownies. My question is Toby, that how is frownies important in your rountine if you are using high powered devices like the STOP and or Safetox. I would have thought these would be stronger and there be no need for the frownies? TIA
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:45 am      Reply with quote
The reason I find frownies so helpful with using other devices is because at night I have no control over frowning. I also think they aid and keep the results of what Safetox and the Stop have done. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Pollyanna wrote:
Toby wrote:
Pollyanna,

sure Smile
well first like I said they aren't really even large enough to cover the whole forehead area. With Frowies you could by making a diamond pattern using 2 of the original frownease box for between eyes. But one of these frownease would not cover an area as large as the centre of forehead and they don't join well together to make a larger one because of their thickness.(hope that makes sense!)
I suppose if you had 1-2 or even 3 small individual forehead horizontal wrinkles spaced out you could apply these one by one as they are quite small but of course you'd use more...Sad They only come in this one shape/size for anywhere on the face.I've just measured them and they are 1 inch left to right and a bit over half an inch top to bottom. I imagine they would be best for the frown/glabellar line like I use it and the small smile lines at corners of mouth. I personally didn't find them all that comfortable on crows feet though I think this would depend on the person and if how deep an indentation they had on the side of their eye(mine is deeper).I think they'd be fine for someone else..
but that being said again it is the size of these that makes them so much more appealing to me for between the eye area because you look less like a freak in bed for example-my husband prefers these that's for sure Laughing
So now to more directly address your question Wink
I have NO issue whatsoever with the stiffness and find these far more sturdy and secure than original frownies which always were mostly unstuck from my face by morning..something I was never fully able to recitify after soo many years of use. These new ones feel like an extra thick cloth bandaid-the comfortable kind and I personally find that these do not budge!
Hope that helps Smile

I got my Frownease and love them for the glabella area!!

However, as Pollyanna said they really aren't optimal for the forehead area because they are so small. And I hated them around my eyes because the adhesive was TOO strong and ripped my skin off!

So now that that I have Frownies, Frownease AND Furlesse, here is how I am using them:
- Frownease between my eyes
- Furlesse cut in half and used on the outsides of my eyes (the lower adhesive level is perfect for this area)
- Frownies on my forehead, but I will not be rebuying these.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany,
I think it is safe to say you are all taped up! Laughing I am too...just not with all the diversity!!!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing All for a good cause girls Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Bethany,
I think it is safe to say you are all taped up! Laughing I am too...just not with all the diversity!!!! Laughing

Speaking of that, I am going to go glue my Safetox to my head before putting on the rest of my tapes for the evening. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:16 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Toby wrote:
Bethany,

Speaking of that, I am going to go glue my Safetox to my head before putting on the rest of my tapes for the evening. Very Happy

Wonder what your kitties are thinking!! Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:37 am      Reply with quote
Toby and Beth, I know I read in your posts about safetox how you were using tac to hold things in place and thus saving yourselves some money.
I can't remember if I read in a forum on frownies, whether people were using something to help them last longer or not? Does that make sense to anyone, or have I read so many posts they're all mashing together in my brain.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:53 am      Reply with quote
What I do with my frownies is just lightly wet them(very lightly)and sometimes I don't have to wet them at all if my moisturizer is still abundant. I can reuse them the next night by wetting them again. I did buy some of the glue that is on the back to extend the life possibly a third night but I haven't gotten into that yet.
Now keep in mind we are all different...depending on the moisture level of the skin to how well they stick and how you sleep. I sleep on my back(hard to get trained to do that)so I don't have a problem with them coming off and they are very easy to remove and reuse.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |