Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best mattifying primer for controlling t-zone oilies?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
FizzyBubbles
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I use liquid foundation and all is great except my very oily nose. By lunchtime, my foundation is still in excellent shape.....except on my nose where it has completely disappeared and just my oily nose is shining through. Help!
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard the Laura Mercier primer is the best. It comes in regular, oil-free, hydrating and even a mineral powder formula.

http://www.lauramercier.com/products/flawless_face/products/foundation_primer/foundation_primer/
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have never had much luck with silicon based primers...

My favourite is OC8 oil absorbing gel, a tube has lasted me more than 4 months. It costs $40 USD in the States but you can buy online from UK pharmacies and a 3 pack costs about $45 USD including shipping as you can have a VAT deduction.

I have also heard good reviews for Mary Kay Mattifier (high rating on MUA) but have never tried it, I am quite tempted to though.

If you want some heavy duty oil control, try using Sofina Lucent sunscreens or the cheaper Sunkiller (very clingy silicon textures) but they need to be removed with a good oil cleanser, and may not be suitable if you are very acne prone.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:57 am      Reply with quote
I have tried a ton of mattifiers and the one I've found to be the best is a product makeup artists use called Super Matte Anti-Shine by Makeup International. Here's a few links:

http://www.camerareadycosmetics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Face-toFace-AntiShineA17

http://www.alconebeautyclub.com/product.php?gID=gZZAK

It comes on three shades but I really don't see any color when I apply it. OC8 is an OK product and I will sometimes use it in the winter when I'm not as oily but if you want the best mattifier try Super Matte. It's my HG!! I put this on my t-zone and then I can wear any primer I want over my entire face. I personally don't want to mattify the drier parts of my face. I want a pretty glow on my cheeks but I want my t-zone to stay matte.
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Personally, I love the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. I have a little bit of oilyness in my t-zone and I find this works perfectly but if you are really oily, I tried the matifying primer by Boots No7 and found it REALLY quite mattifying! Too mattifying for me, it just made me feel tight but if you have lot of oil it could be perfect for you!
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:33 am      Reply with quote
During a really oily phase I used silk powder from Pureluxecosmetics.com.
Also, Meowcosmetics.com has an excellent powder to keep the oilies at bay, especially the premiere puss primer for oily skin:
http://www.meowcosmetics.com/primp.htm
FizzyBubbles
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks!

Laura Mercier and Smashbox did nothing to control my oily t-zone.

I have a powder that works fine but I would like to not have to worry about it.

I am currently using the Boots No 7 and so far it is the best I've tried so I agree.

But this Super Matte has me intrigued and I will need to order.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
keli13 -Do tell us more about this product - I am SO CURIOUS!!

How well does it fill-in pores? Is it thick or thin in consistency? Dry you out? Enhance wrinkles? Where did you first hear about it? Do you use anything else by this company?

Thanks!
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
keli13, yes, plse do share more about this product. You put it on your nose/t-zone where it's most oily, then put a foundation primer over it covering your entire face? Also,which primer do you use? Does it matter what kind of foundation you use - powder vs liquid?

Thanks for sharing this info!
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:07 am      Reply with quote
Super Matte Anti Shine is a tinted gel that controls oil. It's best to use it only on your oily areas and then use a primer/filler to fill pores. It does keep me matte without drying me out. I would not use this right under my eyes, I'm not oily there, but my nose, part of my cheeks near my nose, chin, and forhead all stay matte with this product. It feels like a cool gel going on and it's invisable, not drying at all. A makeup artist recommended it to me a few years ago on a forum like this one. Not alot of people know about it ut it's been around for many years. I use many different primers. In the summer I use more mattifing ones but I too am searching for THE ONE. Right now I use Smashboxes Light Primer or Clinique's Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector. I also use a product made by a german company sold on HSN but its' sold out right now so I can't show you the product or the reviews. They take it off of their web site when it sells out. They'll put it back as soon as more comes in. It's called M Asam Perfect Teint. It'a a fabulous line and pore filler. If your skin is really oily you might not like it but it works great with the Super matte Anti shine.I've recently found a product that I apply after my makeup that I love. It's Skindinavia's Makeup Finishing Spray. It really keeps my makeup perfect and I don't need to touch up all day especially in my t-zone. I never used a finishing spray before but this one feels like nothing on my skin and keeps everthing perfect. It's totally worth it. Here's a link:

http://www.skinstore.com/search/Search.aspx?ReviewID=8910

Skindinavia also has a few other good products but the finishing spray is the best. Read the reviews. There aren't that many yet because it' kind of a new product. Good luck in your search!!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:25 am      Reply with quote
Don't know how true it is but recently I read an article that said MAC primer is excellent for oily skin and Smashbox for normal to dry.

Although I never tried Carekate's recommendation for controlling oily skin I found it fascinating:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5861&highlight=milk+magnesia

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 am      Reply with quote
keli13, thank you for answering my questions, and the link to that finishing spray. I've read other posts that folks like to mist their face after applying MMU, so this just may work better - as a mist and setting spray as well!

winnie, thanks for the tip on the MAC primer and link to carekate's MoM! I remember hearing quite some time ago about MoM helping the oilies but didn't know much about it (and then forgot about it) so this is very helpful. Sure wouldn't hurt to pickup a bottle!
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I have used Laura Mercier and Smashbox before, however these products make me have more break out, so I stop to use them.( I am Combination Skin)
NJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I love perricone ceramic primer. I have oily skin, this primer makes my makeup stay fresh through parties.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Keli13, you've piqued my curiosity with your description of the Super Matte Anti Shine product; I've never heard of it and it sounds wonderful! Though my skin is changing from its former oil-well self (49 now) my nose and forehead are still horribly oily. I just put up with it, using lots of oil-blotter sheets and repowdering during the day. I've tried lots of mattifiers that just didn't work, clogged my pores because of silicones, etc. I tried MoM many years ago but could never get it or my foundation on over it properly without streaking.

Here's my question. How can Super Matte be used along with the Bioderma SPF50+ sunscreen I use religiously on my face? Before I apply my MMU face powder, I matte down the shine of the sunscreen with Dry-Flo Pure, a starchy powder. I wonder if Super Matte would just not work with all that underneath it. I don't want to skip sunscreen on my nose and forehead, maybe I could skip the Dry-Flo on those areas and go right to the Super Matte.. Ideas, anyone?
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:55 am      Reply with quote
I put the Super Matte on my t-zone first, then sunscreen all over, a primer and then my makeup. It works great!! You want to put the mattifier on first after your skin care so it controls the oil. It won't work as well if you put it on after your sunscreen or primer. One of the links I posted, can't remeber right now, has a great refund policy. You can try the Super Matte and if for some reason you don't like it they will take it back, no questions asked. I do think you'll love it though. Have you ever tried Sebasorb? The Super Matte has the same consistancy as the Sebasorb but the Super Matte works, the Sebasorb doesn't. At least thats the case for me. If you try the Super Matte let me know what you think.
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I've tried Sebasorb, and it worked for about twenty minutes on me - ack! And that was without sunscreen. MoM worked better for me than Sebasorb.

After I get the Super Matte, I'll use your application method with my sunscreen and let you know what I think. Thank you, keli13! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |