Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Help with under the surface acne!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Help! I think I'm going to cry...just when I thought my skin was getting better, I'm getting more and more of these under the surface type pimples that take forever to come to a head and explode into full-fledged acne!

I think it's hormonal, although I didn't have as much when I was using retin-a. Can't continue with retin-a either because of the weird side effects I get from too much exfoliation.

Can anyone recommend something, anything to help the acne heal faster??

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
Try Yonka Juvenil for below skin surface kind of acne. Works for me everytime. They just get smaller and goes away. For emergency, anything that kills bacteria and can absorb into your skin will be good (like maybe tea tree oil).
cristaline
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
What you're describing is cystic acne, and this type is hormonal. Topical products are not really effective. Are you on BCP? If so, look at alternative BCPs. It sounds like hormonal changes.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I am very prone to getting under the skin pimples and also cysts. I've had great success in stopping breakouts and keeping the pores clean by using the OCM. The Derma Wand is also brilliant for zapping pimples before they take hold.
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:35 am      Reply with quote
I had one starting yesterday and I tried tea tree oil (a damp cotton pad with a drop or two of oil) and that seemed to help - it's smaller today, not bigger.

But who knows - maybe it would have gotten smaller on its own. I'm almost about to give up on what helps and what doesn't since it often seems completely arbitrary.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:46 am      Reply with quote
My daughter's cystic acne greatly improved when she started using Nano Silver Cyclic soap.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21680&highlight=cyclic+nano+silver+cleanser

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I suffer with this type of acne too, only on my chin and jaw line though. I used to use OCM and thought it was fabulous until later down the lines when it caused me to have the most awful flare up i've ever had, so i've stopped with the OCM.
I've actually gone back to using the Cellcosmet Purifying Gel and it seems to be helping, as I haven't had any huge painful lumps come to the surface, though I still have little under my skin. I tried the JM Biogylcolic Cleanser but that made little difference, neither has the Bioclear unfourtunately. Using a Pearl Paste seems to help me though and also i've cut down on the amount of dairy products I've been eating. I'm not sure if there is any correlation, but since I've cut down on the dairy I haven't had any flare ups.....as yet!
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi there, I sympathise with your problem and hope you quickly find a solution. Im lucky to only ever suffer with odd break outs but my son is just in his early teens and hes showing signs of acne already and its heartbreaking.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 am      Reply with quote
pink_planet wrote:
Try Yonka Juvenil for below skin surface kind of acne. Works for me everytime. They just get smaller and goes away. For emergency, anything that kills bacteria and can absorb into your skin will be good (like maybe tea tree oil).

I have never bought tea tree oil - should I be looking for something pure or could you guys recommend brands you are currently using. This thread is timely as I have a huge under the skin pimple on my forehead. Thank God I have long bangs...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:35 am      Reply with quote
I have Desert Essence (got it at Trader Joe's). I think that's the most common brand. Not sure it matters as long as it's a reputable brand.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Australian Body Care have a pure tea tree oil or you could go for something like Liz Earle's spot on which is a rollerball application and contains lots of lovely things along with tea tree to help with spots.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 am      Reply with quote
sgresnic wrote:
I have Desert Essence (got it at Trader Joe's). I think that's the most common brand. Not sure it matters as long as it's a reputable brand.

Thank you I will get some today - seriously at this point anything will help as I think this zit is acquiring its own blood supply Exclamation

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Please report back and let us know if it worked! I'm just so baffled by acne that the more information I have the better I feel... even if it just confirms the seemingly random nature of the cycle. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I will let you know tomorrow morning if the tea tree oil helped or not

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I only get a one or two of those large under-the-skin cysts at that special time of the month. But they truly are a nuisance - painful, take forever to rupture and clear, and leave scars.

I must also admit to binge eating during that time of the month, so can anyone tell me if there is a connection between hormones and diet? What foods should I be steering away from during this time?
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Seeking advice from a naturopath would be highly advisable. There's certain foods that increase inflammation (like citrus) that you can eliminate from your diet for awhile. Also, homeopathic remedies are available that work wonders. Find a reputable physician in your area. This type of acne is very internal. Even if you find a topical treatment that works some, you'll still be plagued with continued breakouts. Also, be aware that 100% pure tea tree oil is very strong and drying - use sparingly or, better yet, dilute it with your face lotion.
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you CMAYC! I've always wanted to go to a naturopath. I'll add that to my to-do list.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks SOOO much with all the suggestions!! I'm glad everyone seems to know what I'm talking about because I was afraid I couldn't elaborate more if I was asked!

Yes I'm pretty sure it's hormonal cuz I get it during that time of the month and 2 weeks after...so twice!!! Grr!

I have long bangs too so I hide them as much as I can. Sometimes I get it smack dab in the middle of my forehead!

Now I know it's called cystic acne I can do some more searches. What's BCP? What's OCM?

I'm gonna try the tea tree oil too and at this point, I don't care if it's strong and drying. I only spot treat and I need it to suck the life out of this thing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC thanx for the advice on the Tea Tree Oil, you just saved me from spreading all over my face. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Just read about a mask in the April issue of Elle, I think page 264 (I just posted this last night when I was home but now I'm at the office)

The owner of Jady Advanced Skincare Spay, Mady Shany, has over 45 masks and facials at her spa in Studio City, CA. She has one for cystic acne (that is what you have) made of sulphur, zinc and camphor and the name of the mask is Bad Ass. You can google the spa for contact information.

Good luck
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
CMAYC thanx for the advice on the Tea Tree Oil, you just saved me from spreading all over my face. Laughing

You can - just make sure it's diluted. I wet a cotton pad, squeeze out the excess moisture, and then add a drop or two (at most) of the tea tree oil, then use that on my face. It's worked ok for me. If you have dry skin, I suppose it's safer for just the places where you normally get blemishes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I will try the spot treatment first and see how that goes - if all goes well I will give your method a try

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Kareberry I just found this on a different thread I was reading - there is no such thing as too much information

I absolutely adore emu oil. I purchase it from Platinum skincare and use it in conjunction with 10% glyolic toner and copper serum. My cystic acne has completely cleared. Love these products!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Another great essential oil for acne is lavender oil. It's very calming to the skin and helps take down redness. Tea tree is beneficial for it's anti-bacterial actions. You can alternate between the two. I find lavender less drying and less iritating when applied full strength (not to mention, less stinky!) I personally would always dilute the tea tree oil before applying it to the face.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
I just did a search on cystic/cyst acne...

Here's my action plan.. LOL!

I'm going to try waffle's rice method cuz I can do that at home really quickly followed by BP and SA which I've already been using and not working because it's topical. Maybe it will work if I open up my pores a little?

Going to get the tea tree oil on the weekend...dang organic foods store closes early on weekdays...

Then if that doesn't work still, I'm going to order either PSF's new clarifying facial toner http://www.essentialdayspa.com/psf-clarifying-facial-ton-p_8845.htm or the acne treatment mud http://www.essentialdayspa.com/psf-acne-treatment-mud-p_4964.htm. Both these products seem to have both tea tree and lavender in it.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |