Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Any property managers out there? Question about pets..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:29 am      Reply with quote
What exactly does pets negotiable mean?? That they'll allow a small pet or an outdoor one?

Ive been looking for somewhere to live for 2 months and am having a terrible time finding a place that allows pets Sad And i only have 6 weeks left till I have to be out of this place. getting rid of the animals isnt an option - my son would be devastated.

Most ads say flat out no pets but sometimes you see pet negotiable. Im wondering what this means exactly. I havent looked at any of the pet negotiable places yet as going by the pictures on the internet - they've all been crappy Confused I dont want to live in a dump just because i have animals...

P.s send some positive vibes out there for me:) Im getting a bit anxious...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:06 am      Reply with quote
Pets negotiable means exactly that - you get to negotiate what types of pets you can have and under what circumstances they can stay with you. What you will be able to negotiate depends on a number of factors which will include your previous rental history and referees and the type of building you are looking to rent. For instance blocks of units or townhouses often have "no pets allowed" as part of the body corporate rules. Others will have a rule that a pet can be allowed only if other tenants in the complex agree to it.

When it comes to renting a house things may be a bit more flexible. A negotiating tip that can work in your favour is to offer to post a larger than requested bond to cover any damage that a pet may possibly do in the future. Another possibility is to offer to have it written into the rental agreement that you will refurbish certain things in the dwelling at the end of the lease (repainting, returfing the lawn etc) but don't suggest these things outright. Even if you are desparate try not to show it at the beginning and give away any bargaining power you may have. But basically it comes down to your references and past rental history. Ring up all your past landlords and ask if they are willing to be phone referees for you. I assume you have some written references from past rentals, which is great, but verbal references work even better.

Most landlords and real estate agents have no problem with caged pets such as birds, guinea pigs etc. Cats are seen as a bit less of a problem than dogs because they cause fewer noise disputes between neighbours. Smaller dogs are more likely to be allowed to be indoor pets than larger dogs, and smaller dogs in general are seen as less destructive. I probably shouldn't suggest this but you could always lie about the number of animals you have, as I notice you indicate you have more than one.

Although you may not want to give away your animals completely, start asking around your friends and relatives to see if there are any who can take your animals temporarily for say up to three months. This will give you some breathing room and may make the difference between finding somewhere decent and settling for a dump. Also start asking every animal lover you know if they know of any pet friendly rentals currently available. Don't just ask animal lovers, ask everyone you know. Ring up every acquaintance, even people you haven't spoken to in years. They may have a neighbour who is just about to move out, you never know.

Lots of positive vibes heading your way, and good luck.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Luckylouie. Im sure something will come up.

The realestate agent i currently rent through said they'll definately give me a good reference. They said another agent had rang them for one but unfortunately the owners picked the other applicant.

I know a real estate agent that i used to rent through and he said he'd speak to the property manager and get her to ring me when anything suitable comes up.

There's been a couple that have allowed pets but the yards were too tiny for a dog like mine (she's a blue heeler) I was suprised they even allowed pets with such tiny yards...

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I can't add a lot since you've already had a great post but, I just wanted to say that where I'm from 'pets negotiable' usually means, "cats allowed-with the possibility of a small dog." I find that there are not many rentals that are willing to rent to tenants with a larger dog. Some places around here will charge "pet rent" usually an extra $20-$25 a month per pet as a deposit in case they damage the house. Unfortunately there are also places that will not refund you the "pet rent" when you move (even though there has been no damage). My boyfriend and I have lucked out and have always been able to find something eventually so we do not have to pay 'pet rent' for our two cats. They're great cats-and have never caused damage (their scratching post dented the baseboard heater once but, we replaced it). It can be frustrating that a few irresponsible pet owners can ruin it for everyone!

You might want to check with your vet office and see if anyone there is familiar with rentals that allow pets. I've even see people take out "House Wanted-Pets Allowed" ads! Smile

Good luck and thank you for not giving up on your pets!!! Very Happy
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:41 am      Reply with quote
In California, many places that allow pets will still charge a monthly "pet rent" that ranges anywhere from 30 to 75 dollars. This is not refundable.

An additional deposit is usually required as well; Be sure to take pictures before you move in and after so you have something to back your claims that the pets did NOT cause the tear in your carpet because it was there when you moved in.

Carolb, is there a craigslist in Australia? If so, it's easier to search for rentals on craigslist because there's a checkbox you can click for either cats or dogs.

Good luck, sending positive vibes. I know it's more difficult to find housing when you have pets but moving without them is just not negotiable. I can't stand it when I hear about people who give their beloved pets to a shelter just "because they're moving".

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:52 am      Reply with quote
My last living situation was with two other girls, one of whom had a medium-to-large-sized dog. I wrote us up an ad as tenants on Craigslist, touting how wonderful and responsible and quiet and sweet we all were (it's awkward to sing your praises like a cover letter or something, but it WORKED!). Many tenants contacted us, and there were also that I contacted and I sent them that link. And what I said at the VERY END was, "There's just one catch -- one of us has a dog. A sweet, quiet, very well-behaved dog who comes with years of doggie references, and who's lived in apartment complexes her whole life."

When I put that, even ads that had said "no pets" were willing to take a look at us as tenants. If you make it an "aside" instead of a main up-front factor, and if you really do have good references for your pet, sometimes landlords will snap you up anyway if you seem like a good, responsible tenant. Of course, I think this strategy works better when you're renting from individuals rather than a big property manager, but you just never know.

Oh, and we were always really vocal about being willing to put down a big pet deposit (sometimes refundable, sometimes not). And like Athena said, sometimes you have to pay pet rent -- my BF did that for years in his old place, but it was only $10/month for his cat.

Good luck in your search either way -- I hope the right home finds you and your pet soon!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone:)

My dog is a Blue heeler, she's a medium sized dog.

How much of a back yard do you think a dog that size needs?

She's pretty much inside alot of the time.When we're home she's inside too. Even when I go out for a few hours I often leave her in as she seems to prefer it. She's happy just sitting at our feet really.

There's been a couple of places advertised that allowed pets but the yards were only about 7 metres long. I thought it might be a bit mean as if im out all day I do leave her out in case she needs the toilet. Is it too small? I thought she might go stir crazy in such a small area..

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I moved last summer from a duplex with a big yard to an apartment complex with no yard at all. I have a 55 lb Lab/SharPei mix (think "melted Lab"). I just walk him now. He had to adjust a bit (he thinks everyone walking on the sidewalk outside is walking in HIS yard) but he loves the wall-to-wall bed (um. Carpeting) in the new place. He's 8, and that's a good age for him to calm down, anyway.

I refused to pay additional pet rental -- I think that's a major racket. I did put down a deposit, though.

I also have a cat which I did not mention to the manager. Scootz rides free. He wanders in and out (in the old place and the new). He has no litter box, so has to get outside, too. Basically they both go out in the morning and in the evening. They aren't like us. At least, mine aren't. Twice a day is fine. It's great quality time, too. Scootz walks around the block with Jasper and me on our nighttime walks. It's pretty hilarious. (I imagine him sitting at home before, thinking, "Whir do they GO? Whut do they DO?"

"I have to go home to let the dog out" has become part of my vocabulary. But that has just become a very welcome excuse in my arsenal, rather than a burdensome obligation. :->

I know great danes and mastiffs that have no yard. But you can't be a lazy mistress.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:15 am      Reply with quote
Thought id update Smile Things worked out in the end as they usually do. After 10 weeks searching,I ended up finding a place through an agent that let me pick between 2 places! Both properties were owned by the same owner so once my references were approved they said i could pick between the two! Pets ok...

So if anyone is looking perservere..i know its a headache and all but something usually comes up.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |