Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skincare rules regardless of skincare line
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sunscreenfordays
5% products discount

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
These are things I have learned over the last 25 years since I have started seriously caring for my skin in high school. I carry these learned routines/rules/habits/philosophies with me and I apply them regardless of what line I am using. My first line was Clinique and now my main line is Valmont.

Habits:
*sunscreen everyday even if you plan to stay indoors- build the habit
*No smoking
*drink plenty of water

Skincare regimen related:
*exfoliate face in the shower using a gentle facial exfoliator
*after cleansing, do not rinse face, use a warm/hot cloth and press to face (like the aesthetician does when you get a facial) to remove cleanser
*use a primer for moisturizer (that way you use less of your expensive facial moisturizer)
*use a good quality moisturizer, sunscreen, lip and eye cream
*apply your foundation with sunscreen when skin is still warm from washing
*figure out what you can skimp on budget wise and what you can't

agreements, disagreements,additions?
Katsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Spend money on things that stay on your face, go cheap on the ones you wash off instantly. (ie moisturisers = $$, cleansers = $)
And always, ALWAYS, wash your face at the end of the day. No matter what.
Very Happy
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
rally great tips! i would add, do a really good acid exfoliant once a week.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Just want to add a few more:

1) diet rich in vegetables (healthy carbs), protein, and healthy oils
2) exercise for overall circulation
3) enough sleep - glorious sleep (7-8 hours are supposed to be "ideal") to help the whole body rejuvenate
4) reduce stress/think good thoughts Smile
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Some additions, in my experience:

1) Use moisturizer even if you think you don't need it.
2) Use eye cream, the earlier the better.
3) Wear dark sunglasses that cover your whole eye area on bright days, so you don't have to squint and crease up that wrinkle-prone eye skin.
4) Don't over-exfoliate, either with actives or with scrubbing.
5) Don't ever use anything scratchy on your face, like scrubs with ground apricot kernel, or loofahs or Buf-Puffs. You won't realize that you, too can suffer from broken capillaries, until it's too late!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
DySsign
5% products discount

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:50 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Some additions, in my experience:

5) Don't ever use anything scratchy on your face, like scrubs with ground apricot kernel, or loofahs or Buf-Puffs. You won't realize that you, too can suffer from broken capillaries, until it's too late!

OH YES! i had to learn this the hard way!
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
I have one!

Visit EDS forum daily for great advice and education! Wink

Also, I'll add.......

-Change your pillowcase often
-Ideally, sleep on your back to avoid creases that over time, become permanent
-Don't touch your face throughout the day(fingers harbor pimple-causing bacteria)
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Use the gentlest cleanser you can that is suitable for your skin type. Whether your skin is oily, normal or dry, using a harsh cleanser can damage your skins own protective mantle leading to dryness, irritation or excess oil production in self defense.

Use a clean washcloth daily, once you've used it, throw it in the laundry hamper - lets face it they are so cheap you can buy a dozen or more and they will last for years.

Don't use too much moisturiser, or any other product for that matter. This can lead to clogged pores and puffy eyes

Occasionally go to bed without using any moisturiser or treatment product, especially if you have normal or oily skin. Your cleanser should leave your skin feeling comfortable enough to skip the moisturiser occasionally, if not then your cleanser may be too harsh. The reason for doing this is so that your skin doesn't become dependent upon artificial moisturising. Obviously there are exceptions, such as people who have very dry skin, skin irritations, or if you live in a really dry or cold climate.

Remember to look after your neck and hands as well, and remember that as they don't have oil glands they may need to be treated with a richer product than you use on your face. Also as you get older, think about using the same richer product on the skin just above your mouth for the same reason. You don't have to spend a lot of money, or even buy extra products in order to do this. For instance you could just use your regular evening moisturiser and then apply the smallest amount of petroleum jelly or a vegetable oil to those areas that need the extra protection.
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:08 am      Reply with quote
I have always heard that you should never lean your head in your hands. Not only does it "scrunch" your skin but you are transferring the "dirt" from your hands into your skin (think blackheads).
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I have realised that no matter how many high tech products I put on my face, it doesn't help me very much unless I stick to a healthy diet. Water, fruits, vegetables and green food and berry supplements are my best weapons to keep skin healthy. Wink
I have also noticed improvements in my eczema-prone skin by cutting down sugar-intake (I eat chocolate etc only once a week). From what I have read, sugar is one of skin's worst enemies as it leads to glycolisation (sp?) in the skin cells.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
I find that giving myself a long facial massage with a nice massage cream really helps keep my pores clear and helps circulation!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
is dark chocolate also skin`s enemy?
when it is 86% cocoa, there is not much sugar in it, and I heard it is useful for health.
is it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
is dark chocolate also skin`s enemy?
when it is 86% cocoa, there is not much sugar in it, and I heard it is useful for health.
is it?

Aiva, you are right. Dark chocolate is a good friend for the skin, as it contains lots of antioxidants. Unfortunately, I have realised that most chocolates here in Norway with the recommended amount of 80 per cent cocoa also content quite a lot of sugar... To get the benefits of the cocoa and avoid the harmful effects of sugar, I have started to put two teaspoons of pure cocoa powder into one cup of coffee. I like the taste of it (and hopefully my skin likes it, too). Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl, you are soo inventive Smile
I cannot even imagine the taste of coffee with cocoa Laughing I should give it a try!
they also sell here in Germany 99% chocolate Lindt Excellence, almost pure cocoa, but it also contains some sugar, although I don`t think a lot of it, but it`s too bitter for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
oh, and you are right about the antioxidants!
I have just noticed that it`s written on my 86% chocolate bar, that 30g of it will cover 55% of day`s demand on polyphenols, which are antioxidants! good! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
leave your skin as it is after cleansing once a week. no moisturizer, no mask, no anything, just let the skin breath by itself....

i heard it helps restore the skin's ability of its own
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
I cannot even imagine the taste of coffee with cocoa Laughing I should give it a try!
they also sell here in Germany 99% chocolate Lindt Excellence, almost pure cocoa, but it also contains some sugar, although I don`t think a lot of it, but it`s too bitter for me.

Thank you.
Smile
It's the only drink I have invented, so I hope you like it. Wink It's always a good thing to find new ways to add antioxidants to one's diet, in addition to fruits and vegetables. Actually, coffee is supposed to be packed with antioxidants, too. It has almost the same content as green tea, but I guess one should keep the intake on a reasonable level due to the caffeine. Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Here in Colorado where we a "closer" to the sun, many of us are religious about wearing hats. When hiking, gardening and walking, I always wear a hat--and sunscreen.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
nakeidknits wrote:
Here in Colorado where we a "closer" to the sun, many of us are religious about wearing hats. When hiking, gardening and walking, I always wear a hat--and sunscreen.

I have seen in lots of posts on this forum that most members are very diligent about using sunscreen. I am sure that is important.

However, over the past year there has been increased focus on the importance of increasing the level of vitamin D in the body for overall health (skin health as well), strong bone structure and to prevent several forms of cancer (only the risk of skin cancer will increase). The best source of vitamin D is the sun. Norwegian cancer doctors now recommend that we stay in the sun for 15 minutes without sunscreen every day during the summer to fill up with vitamin D before putting on sunscreen.
Anyway, like nakeidknits says, it is a good idea to hide the face and neck from the sun to prevent aging. In stead one can give arms and legs some sun rays once in a while to fill up the deposits of vitamin D.
Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:05 am      Reply with quote
sunscreenfordays wrote:
These are things I have learned over the last 25 years since I have started seriously caring for my skin in high school. I carry these learned routines/rules/habits/philosophies with me and I apply them regardless of what line I am using. My first line was Clinique and now my main line is Valmont.

Habits:
*No smoking
*drink plenty of water

*after cleansing, do not rinse face, use a warm/hot cloth and press to face (like the aesthetician does when you get a facial) to remove cleanser
*use a primer for moisturizer (that way you use less of your expensive facial moisturizer)

Some great rules to live by Sunscreenfordays! There are a few redundant ones I would leave out such as applying the warm/hot face cloth to your face, using a primer, daily moisturizer or eye cream. I would just use my sunblock/or foundation to cover those areas.
sunscreenfordays
5% products discount

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
sunscreenfordays wrote:

Habits:
*No smoking
*drink plenty of water

Some great rules to live by Sunscreenfordays! There are a few redundant ones I would leave out such as applying the warm/hot face cloth to your face, using a primer, daily moisturizer or eye cream. I would just use my sunblock/or foundation to cover those areas.

I'm intrigued. How do you feel sunscreen in those areas can be substituted?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
nakeidknits wrote:

I have seen in lots of posts on this forum that most members are very diligent about using sunscreen. I am sure that is important.

However, over the past year there has been increased focus on the importance of increasing the level of vitamin D in the body for overall health (skin health as well), strong bone structure and to prevent several forms of cancer (only the risk of skin cancer will increase). The best source of vitamin D is the sun. Norwegian cancer doctors now recommend that we stay in the sun for 15 minutes without sunscreen every day during the summer to fill up with vitamin D before putting on sunscreen.
Anyway, like nakeidknits says, it is a good idea to hide the face and neck from the sun to prevent aging. In stead one can give arms and legs some sun rays once in a while to fill up the deposits of vitamin D.
Smile

I agree, but not so long ago, they were saying vitamin E is needed for healthy skin, then green tea...
It should be all in moderation.
Saucy
5% products discount

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:

This is the best idea ever!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:33 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:
nakeidknits wrote:

Smile

I agree, but not so long ago, they were saying vitamin E is needed for healthy skin, then green tea...
It should be all in moderation.

Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and essential fatty acids are all important for skin health. We get most of these through our diet, except from vit D. You have to eat quite a lot of mackerel, sardines and salmon to cover the needs for vit D. Sun is an easy and convenient way to get it.

But as you say, Skincare, all in moderation, and I would hide face, neck and chest from sun rays. Smile

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |