Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Tester/Sample phenomena
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lcd
5% products discount

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Is it just me or does anyone else experience using a tester of a product, getting great results, spending money on the real size and then the results either vary or are seriously lacking compared to what you got from the tester.

Is this because companies make testers better to hook you or does your skin just get used to the product therefore it loses it's effect....
So frustrating. This happens to me with moisturizers, eye creams, shampoos and foundations all the time. Confused
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:18 am      Reply with quote
lcd
Yeah and I thought it was just me! As I read the fine print, it often says, "Reasonable facsimile of advertised product". So it could be anything. Quite misleading IMO>

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
I may be naive to say this, but I seriously doubt companies actually make their testers different. I mean, think of the magnitude of complaints they'd face if they were found out!

However, I too have experienced a different feeling with a sampler than with a full-sizer. I do chalk it up to other "environmental" differences, though.

For example, I often use something just once if it's a small sample size, and usage over time can be a more accurate reflection of a product's real impact. Products with acids or other potentially irritating actives often have a cumulative effect, so one usage won't make a dent but three or four will make me peel and flake!

The upside is that most "upscale" lines seem to produce sample/trial sizes that are actually a decent amount to get a real sense. A few months ago I tried a sample of Osea's Ocean Cleanser, and after two uses I was fine, but after using up both sample tubes (about five or six washes total) my face was peeling and raw and miserable. So I now know to really use up a sample completely before making my decision.

And even though I hate paying more for a sample than for the shipping cost, I do love that many lines now sell their samples instead of providing them for free. It seems to me that this allows them to include better packaging and a more generous amount, so you get a better feel for what the final product will be like. PSF's Vitamin C Serum comes to mind -- the sample was $10, sure, but it was an amber glass dropper vial which I will re-use, and it was enough for at least two weeks of consistent use. Much better than a foil packet with one usage of something!

Alas. This is all just me mouthing off, haha. But recently, I became addicted to a new line based on their sample sizes (the brand is 100% Pure, for those who are wondering), and the full-size items I ordered were just as fabulous as the samples. So I also think I'm becoming better at discerning what the long-term effects will be, based on a few uses plus some rigorous research and ingredient-reading!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:09 am      Reply with quote
Another aspect of samples that a company provides is to let consumers see if they will develop any instant allergic/sensitivity reaction to the product, and if the consumer will like the finish and feel of that product - perhaps the companies don't expect the product itself in its sample quantity to have a noticeable change in skin quality (that is probably best left up to marketing!). In my more emotionally-fuelled product sampling days, I often enforced a sense of success for a product when trialling it, sort of like a subconscious desire to not let my choice of product to have been a dud.
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi all~

I thought I would offer up my own opinion regarding this matter. Often times, sample sizes are used and usually last approx. 1-2 weeks I am assuming. However, the regular size jars/bottles are meant to be used in 2-4 months (approx_), and for some products it takes longer to finish off. I think shelf life plays an important role in the effect it has on our skin. For example, the biggest jar of LaMer cream probably lasts maybe a year, and shelf life on the product is probably anywhere from 2-3 years. I know that even in less than a year, the viscosity of many creams does decrease significantly, which results in a less than perfect lotion/cream/serum etc...I guess what I'm trying to say is the longer it sits on your shelf/medicine cabinet/drawers the less effective the product will be on your/my skin.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:09 am      Reply with quote
gellys wrote:
Hi all~

I thought I would offer up my own opinion regarding this matter. Often times, sample sizes are used and usually last approx. 1-2 weeks I am assuming. However, the regular size jars/bottles are meant to be used in 2-4 months (approx_), and for some products it takes longer to finish off. I think shelf life plays an important role in the effect it has on our skin. For example, the biggest jar of LaMer cream probably lasts maybe a year, and shelf life on the product is probably anywhere from 2-3 years. I know that even in less than a year, the viscosity of many creams does decrease significantly, which results in a less than perfect lotion/cream/serum etc...I guess what I'm trying to say is the longer it sits on your shelf/medicine cabinet/drawers the less effective the product will be on your/my skin.

Don't forget about oxidation. Also I would think viscosity would increase, since the water is evaporating and you're just left with more oils/thickener.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I find that I tend to go on sampling binges. For example, I'll get 3 or 4 samples with an order and of course I've got to try them out right away. Problem is, which one is giving the great results? Or... which one is freaking my skin out?! Shock

I prefer to try products out first through samples. Most of my favorite skin care stuff was found through sampling, so I think it's a very effective marketing practice. In fact, I would never buy an expensive item without sampling it for a couple of weeks first. A one-shot sample doesn't give me enough evidence to break out the wallet.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:08 am      Reply with quote
My daughter used to work for a personal care company in R&D and I remember asking her this question, but she said that the samples are the real thing and the same as what they will sell. However, in time they change the formulations (you know, "new, improved" which is actually not as good) and often they are cheaper for them to make and have less of the exciting ingredients in them. Mind you, this was shampoos and conditioners, not skin care. Why, oh why, are they always tampering with a good product. That seems to be the American way because in Europe they often sell the same product for decades, even centuries; e.g. Santa Maria Novella in Florence.
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
From what I recall I think the viscosity of the products does drop. I remember a chemist saying that a product w/a viscosity level of 30,000? can even drop to 10,000 as time progresses. Also, as products get older you may notice separation, and that's not a good sign. So all in all, I think sticking with smaller sizes with a product you are unfamiliar with, is the safe way to go Wink
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
lcd wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else experience using a tester of a product, getting great results, spending money on the real size and then the results either vary or are seriously lacking compared to what you got from the tester.

Is this because companies make testers better to hook you or does your skin just get used to the product therefore it loses it's effect....
So frustrating. This happens to me with moisturizers, eye creams, shampoos and foundations all the time. Confused

As other posters said, it is unlikely, but don't think for a minute that it hasn't been discussed or considered, lol.

Remember when GNC was selling supplements that contained far less than the labels specified? But that sent a very strong message when they were taken to court over that...larger companies wouldn't risk it today.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:57 am      Reply with quote
Yes Bethany~ You are spot on...the last thing personal care companies want to do is get caught w/this very phenomenon. For example, they list the ingredients that are used in making such and such products, but it isn't necessarily required to write down every incidental ingredient (i.e. Tocopheryl Acetate aka Vit E; it is impossible for most manufacturers to get 100% Vit E, it is usually 99.9% pure w/a trace amt. of incidental ingredient, but you would never have to mention the incidental b/c it isn't important).

On the other hand, if your putting some preservative such as formaldehyde in a product, you would most definitely want to list it b/c imagine if you didn't. Preservatives like formaldehyde is banned in some countries, (I believe EU, Japan...), so if these companies don't list such and such ingredient it wouldn't be wise b/c the fines would be insane if they ever got caught.

It goes back to the fact that if an investigation were ever done, it would be horrible for the company, and that isn't wise business. I don't think you have to worry to much about dept. store brands/or even brands on EDS for that matter. Just perhaps weary if it's from countries that are not heavily regulated.

Not to mention, even if companies do put a trace amount of X ingredient, they put it in so they can list it as an ingredient. They don't mind putting in very little of a goodie just so they can list it on the list. Not to mention, these ingredients are heavily discounted to personal care companies b/c they are buying in huge bulks to provide to worldwide demand.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |