Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

sauna and steam bath
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:42 am      Reply with quote
what would you like to apply on your skin and hair during sauna or steam bath?
dleonard
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:51 am      Reply with quote
When I take a sauna, I apply nothing, and after I'm done I take a cold shower and then moisturize like hell................
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I apply nothing as well, I'm afraid that I would break out if I put any products on my skin and my pores are open from the steam.

But if you put a deep conditioner or hair mask on your hair I think it may enhance the effect of the product....
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Putting stuff on might block the pores and the point of the sauna is to allow your skin to get rid of toxins. I wouldn't place anything on the skin until after the sauna (and after rinsing off the sweat).

I agree that placing a moisturizing treatment on the hair would probably be good to keep it from drying out and also give a deep heat moisturizing treatment.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
just a semi-related question...wet vs dry saunas...I sort of don't like wet saunas, but would a dry sauna have positive effects?
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
A wet sauna is obviously better for those who want to sweat. Sweating will clean out your pores and detoxify your body. You will also sweat a great deal in a dry sauna but the benefits here are the increased heart rate and metabolism you get from the extreme heat. Apparently, dry saunas help you burn a fair amount of calories (that's their selling point anyway).

I agree with the previous posters who recommended to not apply anything to the skin until after your sauna.
michxly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer a steam room to a sauna! I was thinking about why...(because I have a dry sauna at home and never use it anymore- I prefer the steam room at my gym)...I did a google search and here is what I found:

"For one, a steam room does more than just open the pores and ease breathing. First of all, just like a sauna, it makes you sweat which is a necessary function of the skin. Sweat contains urea, the same stuff in urine, so it’s beneficial for the body to sweat out toxins and other impurities. The steam room uses a generator to heat water and disperse it in the air creating 100% humidity but at a much lower temperature than a hot rock sauna.

If you have respiratory problems and allergies then the steam room is generally the better choice versus the sauna since the moist air will help to clear sinuses and airways. The steam inhalation is also effective on sinusitis, bronchitis, asthma, even coughing, or any malady which can be relieved by moisture in the air."

I love the moisture in the air and all my life I've had respiratory problems of some sort which is probably why I prefer it!

It's best not to use anything on your skin...I like to use a conditioner for my hair when I'm using my sauna at home!
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:22 am      Reply with quote
for me, i think sauna(dry one) can help you to sweat for the purpose of detoxification and enhance the metabolic rate, so i just applied nothing but hair mask~ for the steam(wet one), as the humidity is 100%, i think it is difficult to sweat but high temperature can enhance the absorption of skin care product, so i usually apply facial mask and body oil....i remember that when i had body massage in thai, they asked me to hv steam after applying the body massage oil....i want to know whether my concept is correct or not~
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried the wet sauna yet (the particular gym location I've been frequenting the last month only has the dry sauna")

I find that I don't really sweat when I'm in the dry sauna...actually, I don't really sweat too much when I'm working out either...maybe its just me? Does that mean I'm not getting the benefits of the sauna? My skin does feel softer after going...
sally72
5% products discount

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:08 am      Reply with quote
Nothing what so ever. When you steam your skin in a sauna you are opening up your pores. It is preferable that nothing will be on the pores. When you are done steaming, you can easily clean out your pores and then apply all the products you want.
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
sometimes i didn't sweat during dry sauna, maybe is it the problem of poor circulation?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:30 am      Reply with quote
Honey, girls, you apply honey and it makes ur face very clean afterwards!

Also, if you have sensitive skin, then it's better if you do apply something on the skin. Otherwise the steam dries your skin out. But yes, you have to be careful with the product so that it does not clog the pores.
Angelboots
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Sauna- emu oil mixed with bio oil all over body including face. Emu oil in hair and cover hair with a small towel to stop ut drying out.

Steam room- Redken all soft conditioner to hair with a shower cap for extra heat.
Psychedelic

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
What can you apply to your face and body to encourage exfoliation before entering the steam room? I'm appreciate natural suggestions... which I know is hard to go all organic, but I don't think applying baby oil is as beneficial as many claim it to be.

I feel like I heavily neglect my face and hair so any recommendations would be helpful.

I'm sure you can already tell - I'm very new to using steamrooms.
Psychedelic

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Honey, girls, you apply honey and it makes ur face very clean afterwards!

Also, if you have sensitive skin, then it's better if you do apply something on the skin. Otherwise the steam dries your skin out. But yes, you have to be careful with the product so that it does not clog the pores.
Can honey even survive in that level of heat though?
projectbeauty
5% products discount

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I'd for sure throw on some organic coconut oil. Yeah you're going to be slimy in the sauna, but your skin will thank you for it.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I use wet sauna/steams rooms from time to time and I enter with a clean body. The one is use has eucalyptus in the steam. Afterward, I wash off the toxins/sweat and apply lotion of some type.
I own a portable dry sauna and I also use it clean and then shower afterwards.
That's how I was taught to use them to allow the toxins to sweat out as intended.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Nothing on the skin.
Deep Conditioner in the hair.

I do a few sauna sessions in a row.

I wash my hair after the first and put conditioner in.

After the second I rinse out the conditioner and do a salt scrub on my body and a light facial scrub on my face.

After the third I shower and then do a mask while my pores are super open.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I like this thread!

Its inspiring me to go downstairs and use the sauna in my building.

Then I'll finish off by trying the mask I just got as a forum gift with my last EDS order!
beccachan
5% products discount

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:22 am      Reply with quote
organic rose oil all over the body but nothing on face:)
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:19 am      Reply with quote
I follow Moroccan ancient beauty techniques -they invented the hamam- argan or other nourishing oils in the hair and rhassoul clay mask for the face and body once it has sweated a bit. Works a treat!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |