Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mixing Sunscreens
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I did research this topic, and I saw that avobenzone shouldn't be mixed with mineral sunscreen, but is it ok to mix a different chemical based sunscreen with a physical one?

I got the Mexitan spf 50 bottle and it's 6% titanium dioxide and 22.5% zinc oxide. I also have some dermalogica day bright spf 15 left, and I mixed them together. The active ingredients in the day bright are Octyl Methoxycinnamate (3.0%) and Octyl Salicylate (3.0%).

After it sunk in, it was really pretty! It wasn't just not hideous but it looked really nice. The shimmer is the day bright is really concentrated, but mixed with the mexitan it was fine. I didn't wear any make up over it, except for concealer around my eyes and also a little on my nose. I'm not sure about the proportions I used but I think I used twice as much mexitan as day bright but my face did turn out really glowy so in the future I'll add more mexitan to my mix and figure out the ideal proportions.

I'm guessing that adding the day bright weakens the spf value but not by too much, since I started off with spf 50 it's probably strong enough for everyday. Also the reason why I came up with this is that I realized that I have a mostly unused tube of day bright that's already expired and I wanted to use it up. I hope that dermalogica products do last past the expiration date...
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
How is Mexitan by itself, without the other product mixed in? White cast? Greasy? Matte?

Did you only mix the other in because you wanted to use it up or because you were trying to change an aspect of the Mexitan?
jones10021
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I never heard about mixing sunscreens. Sounds messy!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie wrote:
How is Mexitan by itself, without the other product mixed in? White cast? Greasy? Matte?

Did you only mix the other in because you wanted to use it up or because you were trying to change an aspect of the Mexitan?

Mexitan wasn't bad! It looks like a thick white paste but it's not as bad as it looks. It feels nice and has a really light pleasant smell. It sinks in ok after an initial white cast. I think it's on the side of matte.

I did mix it because I wanted to use up the other product, but I think I'll continue with mixing some day bright into the mexitan, I'll just use less day bright (once I'm done using up the expired one) and more mexitan, maybe in a 5:1 ratio of mexitan to day bright. It mixed really well and looked nice. When the mexitan sinks in, it looks like I'm wearing a really thin evenly distributed layer of the day bright and I like the effect.

You can probably adapt this method and mix in your foundation or something into it, since it's spf 50 to begin with.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Wait a minute! I use a number of products with sunscreen at the same time. My moisturizer has an SPF 15, and I lightly apply a tinted SPF 30 over that. Then I top it off with a light application of JI PurePressed Mineral Makeup with an SPF 15. Is this a problem?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Jeannine wrote:
Wait a minute! I use a number of products with sunscreen at the same time. My moisturizer has an SPF 15, and I lightly apply a tinted SPF 30 over that. Then I top it off with a light application of JI PurePressed Mineral Makeup with an SPF 15. Is this a problem?!

What are the active ingredients in all your sunscreens? You should research them to see if they're compatible. I didn't find anything on the chemical ones I mentioned, but just because I didn't find anything doesn't mean it's ok...
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Also I don't want to mislead anyone by saying that mexitan didn't give me much of a white cast. I have really pale skin, so what's acceptable for me may not be ok for you... My feeling is though is that it's good for my skin, acne wise.

I think it's the high percentage of zinc oxide, I'm pretty sure that zinc is good for skin. I got the spf 50 because it was mostly zinc oxide, but the spf 30 has as much titanium dioxide as zinc oxide. I have this little jar of zinc paste from Russia and when I dab some on pimples overnight it helps a lot.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |