Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
DIY Vitamin C Serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I have done my DIY Vitamin C Serum for the very first time last night.

I encountered with two problems:

1. The vitamin C powder seems not to be dissolved easily as I can see the residue left at the bottom of my amber bottle. What's wrong with me? Has anyone faced the same problem before?

2. Did you feel a little bit hot when you touch the serum with your fingers and also while applying on your face?

I am confused, what have I done wrong Confused
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone help, please? Carakate.....
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Could you please share a little more info, and I'll try to help you.

What recipe did you use, and what are the measurments?

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:17 am      Reply with quote
I had the same issue. I tried to make the vit. c. with Glycerine and distilled water. The vitamin c crystals did not disolve.

I tried it using the glycerine first with the crystals to disolve. I shook and shook and shook for hours. and nothing. I tried using the water and did the same shaking. Nothing. I tried heating the water. Nothing. Still saw the crystals in there. What gives. How did you all do it?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Okay, here's the deal; first lets be sure you have the right vit C. L-Ascorbic Acid crystals/powder is what you need.

It is readily absorbable in water + propylene glycol, but the proportions have to be right. You may have used too much vit C... Tell me what % you want your serum to be, and I'll give you the recipe. I would suggest 10 or 15% though.. More than that is a waste, as your skin will only absorb so much. In any case, I wouldn't recommend more than 20%. Also keep in mind that the higher the %, the longer it will take the crystal to dissolve.

You also don't want to really heat the water, because hot water, although it will melt the crystals, will also degrade it.. gentle heating only in a warm water bath for a couple of minutes only.

Tell me the % you want, and what you have on hand to formulate with.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
I bought my Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C)crysals acid from personal formualtors along with the glycerine.

I tried disolving it in the distilled water alone and then tried the glycerine alone. nothing worked.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Try this which will make 1oz of a 15% serum. (It's so reasonable, that you can use it on your arms and legs as well.) Keep in fridge. I haven't had any issues with oxidation before it was used up in about 8 weeks.

1 teaspoon vit c crystals/powder
3 teaspoons distilled water
2 teaspoons glycerin

Dissolve the vit c in the distilled water. I use a shot glass and stir frequently until it dissolves. This usually takes about 30 minutes.

When it has fully dissolved, add the glycerin, put it in a dark bottle, and shake.. I keep mine in the fridge.

If you are very impatient, or if it doesn't fully dissolve after 30 minutes, add 2 or 3 drops of vodka to the water.. Laughing

sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Vodka? Are you serious?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
Vodka? Are you serious?

If for some reason, after giving it plenty of time to absorb, if noticable crystal is still in the bottom, 2 or 3 drops of vodka will do the trick..

I just made up a batch using the exact recipe I gave you above, and the C dissolved in 20 minutes. I sat it in a gently warmed water bath for 2 minutes while stirring..

daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
i usually dissolve the vit C in distilled water first. if it's not completely dissolved, I will put it in microwave for 3-5 secs (at most!) it would then be easily dissolved!! I will add the glycerin or PG afterwards.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:36 am      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
i usually dissolve the vit C in distilled water first. if it's not completely dissolved, I will put it in microwave for 3-5 secs (at most!) it would then be easily dissolved!! I will add the glycerin or PG afterwards.

I would think the heat would destroy or oxidise the vitamin c during this time.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:49 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
daydreamingda wrote:

I would think the heat would destroy or oxidise the vitamin c during this time.

Heat will definitely oxidize vitamin C.. If your having a hard time dissolving the crystals, you can 'gently' help it along in a warm water bath for a few minutes. Not hot, and no microwaving.. Just moderately warm water from the tap.

My previous post's will explain a bit more.

sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Kassy....
I did it. It worked. I used your recipe and your directions and it worked. Thanks. I also ran it under some warm water to clean off the bottle and that worked well too.

Thanks.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad to help sherry!

Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm using L-Ascorbic Acid from Bulk Actives and I don't have any problems with it not disolving. I put it straight into distilled water that I keep in the fridge and it disolves in seconds.

However, does anyone know if putting the vitamin C into cold water would degrade it?
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Is there a web site "Bulk Actives" that you purchase your actives from?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 6:24 am      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
Is there a web site "Bulk Actives" that you purchase your actives from?

It's justwww.bulkactives.com
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick response.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

However, does anyone know if putting the vitamin C into cold water would degrade it?

I think only heat is a problem Keliu.

edithsz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I do use vitamin C crystals for my C serum, and I found that the Vitamin C does not totally dissolve in water, but I had total success dissolving it in liquid beta glucan or flax seed gel.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Why use distilled water? Can you use regular filtered water??

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 11, 2008 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
Why use distilled water? Can you use regular filtered water??

No Chrissie, the filtered water won't do. 'Distilled Water' has all of the harmful things removed.

Use distilled water, which can be purchased at any food market for about $1. per gallon.

sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Can you regulate how strong the Vit. C serum is buy how much c you put in the mix?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Try this which will make 1oz of a 15% serum. (It's so reasonable, that you can use it on your arms and legs as well.) Keep in fridge. I haven't had any issues with oxidation before it was used up in about 8 weeks.

1 teaspoon vit c crystals/powder
3 teaspoons distilled water
2 teaspoons glycerin

Dissolve the vit c in the distilled water. I use a shot glass and stir frequently until it dissolves. This usually takes about 30 minutes.

When it has fully dissolved, add the glycerin, put it in a dark bottle, and shake.. I keep mine in the fridge.

If you are very impatient, or if it doesn't fully dissolve after 30 minutes, add 2 or 3 drops of vodka to the water.. Laughing

senesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Better to use MilliQ water.

Do not heat.

Add the Vit C bit by bit.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |