Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Folligen (copper peptide hair loss product) and Hair Color
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Just an FYI for those who are thinking about using Folligen Spray AND happen to color their hair...

Scenario: I have struggled with stress related hair loss for the last 15+ years, and still have a thin area that Viviscal did not completely fill in. When I placed an order from Skin Biology, I requested a sample of the Folligen Spray to try, as I had read about the successful impact of copper peptides on hair growth.

Hair Specs: My hair is a dark strawberry blonde/light auburn, but is 80% gray from my ears forward...all the hair that regrew over the years came in gray, but at least it was hair! Laughing That means that I color the front to match the back (and any gray strands in back as well).

I started using Folligen about 5 or 6 weeks ago, and then had my hair colored at about 2 weeks, and again 4 weeks later.

Impact to Hair Color My hair color did not take as normal either time - I had large sections of dark brown (no red) along my roots, and a chocolate chunk in the very front bangs area. Shock I assumed the first time that the stylist mixed the color wrong, but I can assure you she didn't the 2nd time, since she had to highlight my hair for free after the first problem. Mad

Today was the 2nd coloring, and I had identical dark brown stripes along the roots...my stylist asked if I had done ANYTHING differently (meds, supplements, etc.) and the ONLY change was that I had added the Folligen Spray.

She then pointed out that the blue/green of the copper, when mixed with the red of my haircolor, would most likely neutralize the red and result in a dark brown - and the brown was limited to ONLY the areas where I had been applying the Folligen (the rest of my roots were completely normal).

Next Steps: I have called Dr. Pickart to see how long the copper will remain in the hair shaft, so that my stylist can address it until it is gone. I am also going to be heavily washing my hair with a chelating agent (Pureology Purify) prior to my next color appt. Needless to say, I will NOT be using the Folligen Spray anymore, lol.

I am not sure if the Folligen for Blondes with the Tin Peptides will cause the same problem - hopefully not since I already bought a bottle!

Just an FYI for anyone out there on the edge of buying Folligen, or a current user thinking of changing their haircolor...I'll let you know what Dr. P says.

In the meantime, I now have light brown hair with red and blonde streaks. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
The Folligen made my brown colored hair very dark in spots. I topped using it as well.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Oakview, did you try the Folligen for Blondes?

My hair color is semi-hosed at the moment anyway, so I am going to use the FFB and see what happens the next time I color it (I must be a glutton for punishment, lol)

I was also thinking that maybe only reds and blondes would be impacted, but it sounds like only people with very dark hair can use the spray.

I don't even want to imagine what using the Folligen shampoo and conditioner could do to hair color. Shock

BTW, I do like the Viviscal topical, and never had any issues...I may just switch back to that and try to use it more frequently, along with the emu oil.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
I never use Folligen but when I have the need to, I will conduct more research
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know a thing about Folligen at all, but with all this darkening of hair, has anybody tried it on their eyelashes or eyebrows?

What the heck is it anyway?

Bethany, since your hair is on the light side, couldn't you just try a shampoo in semi permanent hair color, till the other stuff is sorted out? Maybe it's the peroxide that's interfering with color absorption.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, copper peptides are use for hair regrowth and wound healing with hair transfers, etc. so they do have benefits for lashes and eyebrows too.

While Folligen is marketed by Skin Biology for scalp hair regrowth, I do know that many people use Folligen OR some of the other CP (GHK or SRCP) serums on their eyelashes and brows, and are seeing success. My brows and lashes have definitely darkened, but I am also using Revitalash (but copper is cheaper!)

Regarding using a semi-perm color, I definitely considered that, but I am honestly scared to. The copper appears to be stored in the hair shaft, and I will most likely have the same dark brown result if I try to add color to the blonde. It's blonde where she had to bleach out the copper-causing dark brown, and I don't see any options to add red without causing the copper reaction. Sad

BTW, I have received no input from Dr. P yet...I will probably post this to the Skin Bio board to get a little more visibility and prompt them to answer my question about how long the copper will remain in my hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a redhead, compliments of Nice-N-Easy, and can tell you that it is very difficult to maintain. Now that I live in south Florida, and spend a lot of time in the pool and at the beach, it has become a real problem.

I was thinking though, in your case, a semi-permanent color, which doesn't have peroxide, would just deposit color on the lighter parts.. But you would probably have to go with a darker color for it to work....Say medium or dark auburn... hmm

Now for the CP's... I tried the Neutrogina Copper Peptide Cream a while back, just to get the feel of it. Well after about a week, I noticed peach fuzz all over my face... Shock Needless to say, I haven't used it again, and so ended my journey of CP's. But since it obviously grows hair, it would be worth a try on the brows and lashes..and as you say, it's so much more affordable than Revitalash.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I'm a redhead, compliments of Nice-N-Easy, and can tell you that it is very difficult to maintain.

I have found 3 things that really help me retain my hair color...

1) any shampoo without sufates (Alterna, Pureology, etc.)

2) Bumble and Bumble True Reds...it really does refresh your color.

3) Robert Craig hair color contains NO ammonia not peroxide, and is also a very safe way to refresh your color between using the Nice-N-Easy each 4-6 weeks (I get a gray skunk stripe at the roots within 2 weeks and touch up my own roots between salon visits). You can also mix it to be the exact color that you want because it all comes in powder form that you just mix with water.

My formula is equal amounts of #13 Coppery Golden Blonde (the red), #8 Light Chestnut (the neutral so the gray doesn't turn into highlighter orange), #21 Clear (to dilute and lighten it).

General site:
http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php

Colors:
http://robertcraig.com/store/haircolor1.html

Kassy_A wrote:
I tried the Neutrogina Copper Peptide Cream a while back, just to get the feel of it. Well after about a week, I noticed peach fuzz all over my face... Needless to say, I haven't used it again, and so ended my journey of CP's.

Whoa...I am going to have to watch for that!!!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |