Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Is MMU enough sunscreen???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I use MMU. Is that enough for my daily sunscreen? Thanks!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Janie
I am with you. Not in the question form, but the fact that I refuse to wear sunscreen (I know I know, I am going to hear some information I am sure), but the fact remains, there is not a sunscreen in the world that does not clog my pores (Believe me, I have tried them ALL). I don't spend time in the sun without my face being protected, but my MMU contains SPF and I am just not going to slater my face with potions and lotions that ultimately cause me to have anymore clogged pores and blemishes than I already have. Plus, no matter what sunscreen I wear, as soon as I get in the sun, my face starts itching horribly. When I have my MMU on, I can be in the sun and when I take off my makeup, I have NO color, nothing. I am sticking to this,

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I used to think it would be enough, until I developed a brown spot on my cheek. I suppose if you keep reapplying throughout the day, your protection will be higher. I know for people, like myself, with rosacea, it's simply not enough. Now I use a SPF primer with a SPF 30 (Becca), layered with a concealer with SPF 30 (Dermablend) and mineral makeup on top(Youngblood). If I get another brown spot this summer, I'll be very surprised!
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
My question is because the powder sunscreens seem to have the same as my MMU. Does anyone know? Thanks!
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
I really think the powder sunscreens are meant to be portable to use as a way of reapplying sunscreen throughout the day. I think they are convenient to throw in your purse and use when needed. From what I understand, the applicators are pretty poorly designed and they're really messy to use. MMU is basically the same concept but both, in my opinion, probably don't offer enough protection used alone.
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried the mineral sunscreen, it works wonder for me.
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
What brand do you use? I tried Peter Thomas Roth and it made me itch. Thanks!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I think that MMU definitely adds extra protection, but as much as it pains me to admit it, I think a regular sunscreen is still necessary. Janie, have you tried Zenbiotic's mineral-based sunscreen? It's a completely physical sunscreen in an aloe vera base. No silicones and it doesn't clog my pores. Here are the ingredients:
Organic fresh inner leaf and gel of Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, zinc oxide (micronized, uncoated, highest pharmaceutical grade), calcium, magnesium, antioxidants, wheat amino acids, vitamins C, A, B, other minerals and vitamins.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz, do u happen to know the PPD of this? Or the % of Zinc in it? Thanks! Smile
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
manslayerliz, do u happen to know the PPD of this? Or the % of Zinc in it? Thanks! Smile

Stardusty-- Since ZB is a smaller company they haven't yet paid the $$ to have the SPF in this certified, however, they say that it is the equivalent of around SPF 30. I know this will sketch some people out, but I've worn it out in the sun without getting burned, and besides, since it's the only sunscreen I can wear without my pores being clogged, I figure it's definitely better than not wearing any at all. HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz, if YOU can wear it in the sun without burning, it's got to be good!!

You've got me interested now even though I've been off the skincare scene for a while.

Michele

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I've been wearing only the silk/pearl powder primer with SPF + MMU for the last 2 years and I've been more than happy with the protection this gives me. This winter we went skiing and i wore my regular make-up (primer + MMU) while my DH & DD wore regular sunscreen. At the end of the day they had some tan, and I had none. And this is more than enough for me to not wear any SS on a regular basis.
Having said that, I must admit that Manslayerliz's post about ZB really caught my attention. I still do need some kind of a SS for summer days in and around the pool (when my powdery stuff obviously wouldn't work).
Liz, where do you buy this? Is it expensive? I guess I'll have to do some research.
Good thread guys.
Rubby

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
rubby, which silk powder with spf is it that you are using?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
I've been wearing only the silk/pearl powder primer with SPF + MMU for the last 2 years and I've been more than happy with the protection this gives me. This winter we went skiing and i wore my regular make-up (primer + MMU) while my DH & DD wore regular sunscreen. At the end of the day they had some tan, and I had none. And this is more than enough for me to not wear any SS on a regular basis.
Having said that, I must admit that Manslayerliz's post about ZB really caught my attention. I still do need some kind of a SS for summer days in and around the pool (when my powdery stuff obviously wouldn't work).
Liz, where do you buy this? Is it expensive? I guess I'll have to do some research.
Good thread guys.
Rubby

Hi Rubby! You can buy the ZB stuff here:
http://www.zenbiotic.com/BODY%20&%20GROOMING.htm
I think it's very reasonably-priced, and I LOVE the smell. (DH says it smells like fresh roses--- he likes it too.) I've never worn it in water, however, it's been fine for me out and about in the sun. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Liz,
I went to ZB website and I agree - it is reasonably priced. I think, based on the description of the product, that is should be OK for water, with regular re-application, of course.
Are you using anything else from ZB?
Thanks,
R.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
michelec wrote:
rubby, which silk powder with spf is it that you are using?

Michelec, I PM'd you.
R.

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
Hi Liz,
I went to ZB website and I agree - it is reasonably priced. I think, based on the description of the product, that is should be OK for water, with regular re-application, of course.
Are you using anything else from ZB?
Thanks,
R.

Hi again Rubby! I'm a HUGE fan of a lot of ZB's products--- they all feel so fresh and wonderful on the skin. I especially love the Rinseless Cleanser (I use this in the morning instead of washing with a normal cleanser--- it's gentler on my skin and faster too!), Oxytoner (I use this as a toner, and I also use this to moisten my face before the sunscreen to help the sunscreen be absorbed. I also use it to set my MMU--- the spray is a very fine mist.), Phyto Moisture (This is my daily go-to moisturizer, and a quick spritz over my MMU gives me such a dewy, glowing finish), and the winter moisture which is nice when the weather is dry and my skin needs a boost. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="rubby"][quote="michelec"]rubby, which silk powder with spf is it that you are using?[/quote]

Michelec, I PM'd you.
R.[/quote]

Hi Rubby,
Could you please let me know too? Thanks!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi rubby, I have the silk/pearl powder primer that you're talking about too! So do u apply it after your moisturizer & before MMU or after? Also, how much do u apply? Cuz I usually just apply a very thin layer so am afraid that it's not enough for sun protection?

manslayerliz, the ss that you're talking about from Zenbiotic, can it be used alone without using their other complimentary products? Is it still as effective?

Thanks!! Smile
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:35 am      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
Hi Janie
I am with you. Not in the question form, but the fact that I refuse to wear sunscreen (I know I know, I am going to hear some information I am sure), but the fact remains, there is not a sunscreen in the world that does not clog my pores (Believe me, I have tried them ALL). I don't spend time in the sun without my face being protected, but my MMU contains SPF and I am just not going to slater my face with potions and lotions that ultimately cause me to have anymore clogged pores and blemishes than I already have. Plus, no matter what sunscreen I wear, as soon as I get in the sun, my face starts itching horribly. When I have my MMU on, I can be in the sun and when I take off my makeup, I have NO color, nothing. I am sticking to this,

I have a very similar experience with most sunscreens, especially if I use it daily I get clogged pores. What kind of MMU do you use?

Manslayerliz-I'm very curious about your zenbiotics sunscreen. I'll have to check this out too! Thanks!
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Hi rubby, I have the silk/pearl powder primer that you're talking about too! So do u apply it after your moisturizer & before MMU or after? Also, how much do u apply? Cuz I usually just apply a very thin layer so am afraid that it's not enough for sun protection?

Hi there Sturdusty,
I apply my moisturizer, let is soak in (for about 5-10 minutes, while I play with my hair), then I apply silk/pearl primer all over may face and neck. I think I apply a decent layer, not very thick (as you would get a white shadow on your skin), but I do make sure I have enough for a good coverage. I then apply my powder MMU on the top. Then I let all of that set in for 5 minutes while I do my eyes (curl lashes and apply mascara). I finish with a 2-3 spritz of silk/pearl mist all over my face and a light tap with my hands all over my face. I find I have to do the tap to get the nice finish (no powdery look at all).
Hope this helps.
R. Smile
P.S. Oh yes, concealer goes on after the moisturizer and before the primer. If I have a very visible blemish I need to cover, I re-apply concealer after the primer and then finish with MMU and the mist.

rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Janie wrote:
Hi Rubby,
Could you please let me know too? Thanks!

Janie, check your in-box. I PM'd you.
R. Smile

tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:32 am      Reply with quote
IMO NO WAY Exclamation

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks rubby! So do u apply the primer around the eyes too? If so, is it gonna be drying? hehe sry for asking so~ much... Very Happy
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Thanks rubby! So do u apply the primer around the eyes too? If so, is it gonna be drying? hehe sry for asking so~ much... Very Happy

No, not around eyes. I make sure I always wear my large sun glasses to cover the eye area.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |