Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Enlightening article on skin problems and treatment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
This is a very interesting article on what causes some skin problems and simple ways to remedy them. A friend of mine who does conditioner only hair washing recommended it to me.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s2015.htm
ginderella
5% products discount

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the article. I already only use shampoo after I color my hair. the rest of the time I use conditioner. What do you suppose he means by glycerin and sorbolene?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting article, thanks for posting. I have never in my life used soap or deodorant - and, yes, I still do have friends! I'm sure I've read somewhere else about washing your hair with conditioner. I'm going to give it a try because I wash my hair everyday. Don't think I can give up the doona though.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting this. I am going to try the conditioner only when I wash my hair. I have been suffering from dry hair for quite some time. I have heard about people washing their hair with just conditioner but I was very skeptical of this idea. Now, I'm ready to try it!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Thank you. It's interesting what he writes about psoriasis and eczema.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:20 am      Reply with quote
WOW - that's certainly a different way of looking at things! 8 weeks to get over the hump of washing hair with just conditioner?! I'd have to lock myself in my house - I'd be a grease slick!! I do suffer from dandruff - it does make sense that shampoos would dry out the scalp further. I just don't know if I could do it. Maybe I'll allow some of you to be the guinea pigs first! Laughing
havana8

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:34 am      Reply with quote
There have been a few that mentioned trying "co-washing" (Andaman_Gypsy and Avalange, I think?) and posted a few of their experiences in this thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=23841&highlight=cowashing
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I use Wen. I've found it to be a fantastic hair product for conditioner only cleansing.

http://www.chazdeanstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:46 am      Reply with quote
Mmm, he has some points-over-washing is not very beneficial for (sensitive and reactive) skin.

However, I do not believe his idea of eczema and psoriasis: It is heritable indeed, but I agree it can lessen with less frequent showering with harsh products. My skin reacts better when avoiding shampoos with SLS and less frequent showering. However, that does not solve my skin problems...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:50 am      Reply with quote
The Wen conditioners look great but I'm trying not to make any more web purchases - by the time I factor in exchange rates and postage, I'm spending too much. Anyway, I tried washing my hair tonight using conditioner only. I used some John Masters conditioner that I'd purchased before from EDS. I was a bit hesitant about trying this because I have baby soft fine hair that I have to wash everyday because it goes greasy and stringy. I have to say that I can't notice any difference in the results - I thought my hair would look unwashed, but it doesn't - it looks fine. I'm going to keep going with this and see if I notice any difference in a few days time.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:59 am      Reply with quote
I haven't used shampoo in years. I wash (w conditioner) my hair once a week. The last time I was at a salon, the hairdresser kept exclaiming "You have AMAZING hair!" (I say, "I have forgiving hair." LOL)

Shampoos with SLS will only dry and strip your hair. No detergents are on skin or hair. There's ALWAY a reaction -- over-production of sebum, or not enough sebum.

It doesn't take eight weeks to adjust, either. Well, if you put glycerin in your hair, sure. But conditioner? Go for it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I am so surprised about the conditioner! I do not have oily hair but everytime I use hair conditioner my hair becomes flat and oily so I just can not beleive that I can use conditioner only and my hair will not be greasy! I use oils on my scalp and then shampoo with a organic SLS free shampoo and my hair seems to be o.k.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Wow,that was a good read.I shall be the guinea pig-from now on only conditioner and no shower gel.I will have to use something on the face though)))
P.S.I stopped heating up my room since I noticed that I break out a lot more if my room is too warm.
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Since reading the article I've been following his advice and it seems to be working. I am washing my face, body and hair with aqueous cream and not using deodorant. As someone who has had to use deodorant since the day puberty hit, I was very sceptical. It's autumn in Australia so the weather is fairly mild and I'm not doing heavy sweaty work, but so far I haven't had to use deodorant. I've made my husband and mother have a good sniff, they say I don't smell and I can always count on them for brutally honest answers. Very Happy

The aqueous cream rinses out very easily from my hair, but I have very short hair. It may be more of a chore for someone with longer hair. Normally, unless I am swimming daily, I wash my hair twice a week. With the aqueous cream I find I have to wash every second day, but considering it takes less than a minute, that's no big deal. My hair certainly looks shinier and the mild dandruff I've been putting up with for years has all but disappeared.

I was already using aqueous cream as my nightly facial cleanser, however I am still using Pears soap in the morning. In the past I have tried using just the aqueous cream in the morning, but I have slightly oil skin and kept getting blackheads.

All in all, although I'm not throwing away my Mitchum for Men deodorant just yet, it looks like I may be able to do away with it for much of the year.

Hugh Molloy has also written a couple of books that are available at my local library, so when I've read them I will let you know what other suggestions he has. As he is Australian and the books are australian publications you may not be able to get them overseas readily.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
I've been trying the conditioner only for about three weeks now and no heat styling after reading about this from another thread. The first week, it was okay but I wore my hair in a ponytail a lot. Second week, I don't know if it was my imagination, but I thought my scalp was itching so I shampoo'd with a Redken Clarifying shampoo once. Okay, that was probably harsh. This is the third week and I think I can't do conditioner only, but will have to cut the shampooing to once or twice a week (as opposed to every other day). I can't seem to get over my perception of how I think my head/hair smells to my husband gets close to me. Sad Hair is less dry, that's for sure.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I've switched to conditioner only washing around new year's time. I think I shampooed once or twice since then. I like Suave conditioners, and I also add honey to them and dilute it with water. I also add a little apple cider vinegar. My hair's very happy. I'm actually less oily now, but I never have squeky clean hair that I had with shampooing, which is fine by me. My hair is healthier and I shed a lot less, I have practically no split ends now.

I'm really happy with this routine because for one thing it's cheaper! I'm not concerned with getting super high quality shampoos and conditioners, since all I use is cheap conditioner.
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've been mixing coconut milk with glyercin and a little water for keeping in the moisture this week to use instead of soap at night. It feels sticky. I wouldn't want that surface in the daytime. Bugs and dirt would stick to me.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm now up to 5 days of conditioner washing - I LOVE THIS. I just can't believe that this is working for my hair - but it is. I don't have any waxy build up on my scalp and no itching - which I used to get with shampoos. My hair doesn't even seem greasy - if anything, it has more body and looks really healthy even though its bleached.

Thanks Luckylouie for informing me about this technique.
Melona
5% products discount

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
sorborlene is a cream/moisturiser made with 10% glycerine and paraffin wax. It has less than 10 ingredients. It's a generic formulation but many chemist brands produce it. It's cheap as chips, usually about $3-$5 for 500ml, depending on the brand. Maternity wards in Aussie hospitals recommend that sorborlene be used instead of J&J to wash new born babies. And it's pretty much the only thing that helps my eczema without the use of cortisone cream.

It's pretty rich but it is very moisturising.
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Well this is still working for me too. My scalp got a little itchy for the first few days but that went away quite quickly. I don't have dry skin, but as I get older (44 now) the skin on the back of my hands tends to dry out. Using his methods I am finding that my skin remains better hydrated all the time.

As I posted earlier Dr Molloy has two books out which I have ordered from the library. I've now read one of them and this is a brief review:

Skin Fitness - Safe and healthy skin care by Hugh Molly and Garry Egger, published by Allen and Unwin.

Short, to the point, well written, well researched and illustrated with before and after colour photos from patients who have follwed the simple advice. It deals with skin health problems rather than skin aging and the authors point this out at the very beginning. The book looks at the physiology of the skin, its function, common problems of the skin, their causes, and their very simple cures. If you can get hold of this book in your local library it's worth reading. If you can't, don't worry. Most of the information you need is summed up in the article link given in my first post.

I will post a review of the second book when I get a chance to read it.
yobi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting, I'll try use conditioner only from now on. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |