Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Are professional Microdermabrasion treatments worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Sienna
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Do you think a series of microdermabrasion done by a dermatologist is worth the price or should I rather save up and have laser resurfacing in a few years? My skin looks dull and tired, I don't have wrinkles yet (38 y.o with fair complexion no sun damage) but I do have some faint acne scars and discoloration on my skin. I'm using botox, sunscreen, Retin-A and have just ordered a vitamin c serum to start using in the am.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
I had a series of 6 done and thought it was a waste of money. Mine were done at an esthetician's office (not at a Dr.'s Office) and maybe her equipment wasn't "state-of-the-art" or something. I don't know anything about types of machines, etc. or even what machine she had. She said her machine and crystals were top of the line, but I was very disappointed. I do remember feeling like I got SOME results from the first one, but after that--nothing to speak of. And no one else noticed any change/improvement in my skin either. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Sienna wrote:
Do you think a series of microdermabrasion done by a dermatologist is worth the price or should I rather save up and have laser resurfacing in a few years? My skin looks dull and tired, I don't have wrinkles yet (38 y.o with fair complexion no sun damage) but I do have some faint acne scars and discoloration on my skin. I'm using botox, sunscreen, Retin-A and have just ordered a vitamin c serum to start using in the am.

Sienna...My daughter had a series of Microderabrasion done the months before her wedding. It did help with faint acne scars and dark pigmentation (sun damage). Her skin looked very smooth with a nice glow. If you have the money it would give your face a great start before starting your home care.
Warning: After microderm you must be faithful to sunblock. If you fail to use a good sunblock you are setting yourself up for pigmentation problems.

If you go ahead with the treatments be sure you let your derm know what you are currently using and your plans post treatment.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I've had 5-6 sessions this past Dec-Feb. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. It did help with oiliness, pore size, dullness, and old acne scars (browns ones and newer reddish ones).

Its been a couple months since my last one...and the downfall seems to be that the results are only temporary. It might also me the added effect the change of winter-spring/summer weather we're having in Canada now though. The addition of a Avene Diacneal has helped keep my pores clean. The microdermabrasions really helped my skin with that, but they started to fill up with gunk again prior to starting the Diacneal.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I should've added that I had mine done at a Valmont med spa. They always included a mini-facial after the microdermabrasion.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried a professional microdermabrasion but I love using EpidermX II (manual microdermabrasion). It has improved my skin texture and fade my acne scars.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:00 am      Reply with quote
HannaLee, would you please update how are you going with Avene Diacneal?
what is it doing for you?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Sure Aiva!

I was using another thread of mine to post updates, but I haven't in a while, so I'll just update here!

So it's been almost 2 months on the diacneal. Depending on what my skin is like, I typically have been doing 2 days on, one day off, but this has by no means been a solid rule. I find that I still have my typical TOTM breakouts, but this month wasn't as bad as others...but I'm not sure its fully attributed to the diacneal itself.

My pores are still doing pretty good. The effect of the microdermabrasions are beginning to wear off (I'm going again for a maintenance type session next weekend though)...so my pores are more noticeable than just after completing my treatments, but the diacneal has helped to decrease the amount of blackhead and whiteheads on my cheeks. My nose...I still get the blackheads, but the really big ones aren't as common.

My skin is getting used to it, so I'm not nearly as sensitive and flaky as I was the first week or so on it! I usually have tough skin, but the diacneal made me peel like crazy after the first night!
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and I used to have a series of horizontal wrinkles along my forehead (although I was probably the only one who could really see them), but they're much much better now, so even for that, I'm happy!

I plan on trying more of the Avene line as soon as my plethora of products runs out though!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Sienna,

I did a series of microdermabrasion once - probably 5 or 6 tx. at about 100.00 a pop. Very temporary results and I will also say - my observation only - What has made a bigger difference is being very conscientious about skincare procedures in general, water intake, supplementation and buying excellent products. This has shown better and longer lasting results for me.
I would rather spend the money on useful at home machines along with an excellent skin care line and some excellent at-home therapies than spending on a series of microdermabrasion.

That said; microdermabrasion does look nice after - as long as the equipment is functioning properly, etc. It is a great temporary fix if you want more immediate gratification - like for a wedding. And If you have the money to spend like that ... Hey, I'd go for it - it's nice. But in terms of money well spent for long-term results; I wouldn't recommend it. Just my opinion. Buy your own Microdermabrasion machine!
ChelseaaaHi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't think it would be worth it.
You would spend half ur time here in EDS
and probably find a loyal product sticking
to that will work than spending hundreds :/

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
I honestly don't think its worth it. I had a course of 6-10 treatments (its been a while, I don't remember exactly) and I think it made my skin worse. The esthecian remmended it (of all things) for my rosacea that was on patches of my face. The rosacea patches didn't get any better, and the other 'normal' areas didn't see any improvement either. She kept telling me that I needed more sessions. Yah. Right.

I've had great results using the IS Clinical stuff. I've been using it for the last month and my skin has been SOOO smooth and soft. No way in hell am I going to change my routine now Smile Smile
Sharklover
5% products discount

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 am      Reply with quote
In my opinion - YES!! You need to go once a week to start for 3-4 weeks - depending on your skin. Then just maintain. I go to my hair salon. Many salons have girls trained (make sure they are) and I pay $75 per treatment. I love my skin afterwards! Smooth, tight, pore size reduced. I am also an Obagi user, so that makes a differece too. But I see that you are planning to start a regimine - good for you. Stick with it.
Avoid the sun and NEVER forget your sunblock!
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know that "professional" microdermabrasion is worth it but I've only had one professional one done. Price tends to vary with the area you live in. Now, I just use microdermabrasion creams and cloths.

Check out the at-home machine NCN sells:

Timepeel - Natural Diamond Microdermabrasion Machine $299 + S&H
http://www.ncnproskincare.com/skin-care-products/all/home-microdermabrasion-machine.html

It's probably a more worthwhile investment than professional microdermabrasion (in my opinion).

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much for the helpful replies. I think I'm going to put the m/d on hold for now, as it's just too costly and I'm possible going to invest in an 18 week Obagi program.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
I just got the Timepeel from NCN. Very Happy
I have never had a professional treatment, so I cant compare.
It is a small,compact and quiet unit. No crystals or powders. The "diamond" tip has an opening and sucks the particles thru a filter.
I got carried away and over did it. So,now I am calming and moisturizing.
I can see improvement in a deep wrinkle and scar.
HTH
bluepacific
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried it and made my face red for days after the treatment. It was not fun going to work with face like that!

My friends had better results with laser... I've never tried it, though.
makeup queen
5% products discount

Thu May 01, 2008 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Definitely worth it but you really do need great skin care products and at least a one month to 6 week maintenance microderm. I love going in once a month for glycolic acid peel, deep cleansing, microderm, dermaplaning and calming mask. There's definitely a difference in my skin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |