Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
DRY skin... help!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lara M

Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,
I have horribly dry skin (over all my body) so have always been vigilant in using looking after my skin since a young age. I am 26 and already have quite deep lines across my forehead.

I have been using Shi'Jano facial moisturiser but am interested in changing. I also use a creme cleanser and take fish oil daily.

I also have sensitive skin, so get breakouts quite easily with products that my skin doesn't agree with Confused

Any suggestions?? I have tried some samples of dermalogica, but I found it quite drying.

ANY advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks Smile
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lara M and welcome to this forum. I have exceptionally dry/sensitive skin and I use Dr.Hauschka Rose Day Cream. This is a very rich cream that some people find just a bit too rich. However it is perfect for me. There is also a "light" version of this cream if you think that may be more suitable to your skin type. The best thing would be to ask for samples before buying a large size. This is just one suggestion based upon my own personal experiences with moisturizers. I hope others on this forum will offer to you their own ideas on a good moisturizer. Hope you enjoy your time on this forum.
bluepacific
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
When I used Dr. H's Rhythmic Night Conditioner for a few weeks, my dry skin improved quite a bit and skin tone got better, too. Not a cheap product, but it worked for me!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I third Dr.Hauschka line for very sensitive, dry skin. Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Lara M

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Excellent, thank you so much for your advice (and A GREAT forum in general!!).

I've just had a read of the product reviews for the rose cream and it seems that those with dry skin rave about it. I think its a no brainer for me to give this a try, im going nuts at the moment!

Do you find that this is too rich to use on a daily basis?

Ill put an order in and let you know how I get on, thanks again all!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
DO you think if you tried Cetaphil cleanser when cleansing, that would help? It is very gentle but not strong enough to remove eye make-up.

For your body, have you tried Lac-Hydrin 12%? It burns at first because it is strong. You may want to mix it with another lotion at first.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried emu oil? I have dry skin and like the products of Laid in Montana: www.laidinmt.com
http://cart.laidinmt.com/catalog/Laid-In-Montana-Pure-Emu-Oil--Personal-Care-Products-orderby0-p-1-c-1.html

You can find out more about emu oil here by doing a search on EDS. If you don't want to get oil from an animal, how about squalene from olives?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not really aware of the good stuff for helping dry skin as mine is oily but there is a really awesome cream for your body! You can get it at a local drugstore..or like a walmart, etc. It's called Glaxel Base cream. It'll be in the pharmacy area. I put it all over my body every day and even the fact i shave almost everyday..it doesn't bother me anymore Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I had dry skin a month ago too, then i got biotherm's white detox. I remember I used to use their product before too but never noticed how effective they are until my skin was dry.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Lara M.....I use Dr. H. Rose Day Cream on a daily basis and it has never been too rich for me, nor has it ever made me break out (and my skin is sensitive too.) That's why I love this cream. But, everyone is different and of course I cannot say whether or not it would work the same for you. I hope it would because I know that before I found this moisturizer my dry skin was driving me nuts!! I certainly hope it would work as well for you should you choose to try it.
Lara M

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Great, good to hear its not too rich for daily use leeleedeedee.
Thank you all for such great tips, I was beginning to dread going through trial and error again... agony!

Ill be sure to keep you posted on how I go with the rose cream! I will also be switching back to Cetaphil again I think (good thinking)

MANY Thanks again Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Careful the Rose Cream contains St. John's Wart which is a potent photosensitizer, so make sure you use a sunscreen with this product during the day if you don't want to risk sun damage and hyperpigmentation.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I think you probably need some very rich cream. Make sure these cream can not only hydrate your skin, but supply enough oil comtent to your skin. This kind of cream is usually expensive, because they are nutrious enough. As long as know, la mer is one choice, but it contains mineral oil, which might cause pimples. Sisley is also oily, but also contains mineral oil. Cellcosmet is also a choice, which is much better compared to the two lines above, but they use integrated cell, which might cause irration. Hmm, I guess you can try some aromatherapy, which usually use jojoba oil as the base for the essential oils, jojoba oil is very hydrating and keep your skin moisturized.
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
i would recommend cream de la mer....my dry skin saver Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
If I had severely dry skin, I would definitely treat it from the inside, as well, with essential fatty acids (fish oils, flax seed oil) and other supplements like green food and antioxidants.

This has helped my eczema- and psoriasis prone skin.

Lack of EFAs, vitamins and minerals can often be reflected in different skin conditions.

HTH. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Lara,

I didn't post previously about hydrating from the within because you did mention you take fish oil. But with Septembergirl's post, I'm prompted to agree - make sure you take EFAs (essential fatty acids) in the recommended ratio. If you are only taking fish oil, your EFA intake might be imbalanced.

Other internal moisturizers: water (of course) and hyaluronic acid (HA). There is a thread here at EDS about taking HA internally and its benefits:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3625

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I would just like to add that I have always taken lots of EFA (and in the balanced ratio) but my skin always remained dry. I was disappointed because I thought surely that would help. I'm very nutritionally oriented and always try to first remedy situations by taking things internally. However, nothing seemed to help my dry skin but the topical application of moisturizers.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
I would just like to add that I have always taken lots of EFA (and in the balanced ratio) but my skin always remained dry. I was disappointed because I thought surely that would help. I'm very nutritionally oriented and always try to first remedy situations by taking things internally. However, nothing seemed to help my dry skin but the topical application of moisturizers.

Please let me know what you consider the balanced ratio of EFAs.

I have always heard that most people get far too much Omega 6 and far too little omega 3 (marine oils). I have had success with taking krill oil capsules (omega 3) for my eczema issues. I also eat nuts and almonds for omega 9.

TIA. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee,

Sounds like it might be a skin barrier issue or electrolyte imbalance (some labs can be run to see if this is the case).

Have you tried dry brushing to stimulate exfoliation of your skin (your body's largest detox organ) and lymph movement?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
I use Health from the Sun's Total EFA which is supposed to offer the proper balance:
http://www.healthfromthesun.com/products/product_description.php?id_detail=3&id_besoin=1&id_gamme=1&mode=1&acces=product_range.php
INGREDIENTS: Certified organic cold expeller-pressed flaxseed oil, deep sea cold-water fish body oil concentrate, borage seed oil, gelatin, glycerin, water and mixed tocopherols (vitamin E)
I get it from Vitamin Shoppe for a discount. I'm sure other EFA products provide the proper balance as well.

About the proper ratio, I am unsure about what it is but I DO KNOW when I was only taking fish oil (Lovaza from doctor's prescription) and not the Health from the Sun combo, my skin suffered. I went to Vitamin Shoppe and re-upped on the Health from the Sun. I commented on it to the salesperson and he told me he had the same reaction when just taking fish oil and he mentioned the importance of the "proper ratio" of Omega 3-6-9.

Info I did find online - from http://goodfats.pamrotella.com/
Quote:
EFA deficiency is common in the United States, particularly Omega-3 deficiency. An ideal intake ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids is between 1:1 and 4:1, with most Americans only obtaining a ratio between 10:1 and 25:1. The minimum healthy intake for both linolenic (Omega-3) and linoleic (Omega-6) acid via diet, per adult per day, is 1.5 grams of each. One tablespoon of flaxseed oil can provide this amount, or larger amounts of other linolenic-rich foods. Because high heat destroys linolenic acid, cooking in linolenic-rich oils or eating cooked linolenic-rich fish is unlikely to provide a sufficient amount.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:24 am      Reply with quote
I use Blackcurrant Seed Oil which has Omega 6-3-9- which I read was a balanced source of the EFA's. I've had dry skin all my life so it isn't a recent problem that just cropped up. I also have extremely sensitive skin so I just figured that the dry skin could be the result of anything irritating my super sensitive skin - even mild skin products that one wouldn't associate as irritating factors. The cause could be many. I more or less just learned to live with it.
Lara M

Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee, it sounds like we are in a very similar situation. This is also something I have always lived with, so have just been vigilant with good nutrition, plenty of water and a good skin care regime.

C'est la vie, but hopefully I have the same great results with Dr. H that you found Smile
Lara M

Mon May 05, 2008 12:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi All,

as promised, I am giving an update on my progress with Dr H.

So far so good. I have been using it for a week and havent had any breakouts which often occur when I switch products. My skin is definitely no dryer and I am starting to see an improvement, so fingers crossed this continues!

Thanks again to all for your advice Smile
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 05, 2008 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lara.....thank you for the update. I'm glad the Dr.H. is working for you and I hope it continues. It really is a great moisturizer for dry skin. One of the best to remedy this condition. Please keep us posted on your progress.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 05, 2008 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Glad to hear the Hauschka rose cream is working for you, Lara.

For the body, you might want to try Gold Bond's Ultimate Lotion line which you can usually find in drugstores:
http://www.goldbondultimate.com/
There is a $1 off coupon available at the site.

They have one with CoQ10. If you're in the U.S., you should be able to get a free sample of the CoQ10 one at:
http://walmart.triaddigital.com/enhancedrendercontent_ektid30830.aspx

People with sensitive skin seem to do well with this lotion. Drugstore.com has customer reviews -- here are links and the ingredients of the 3 Gold Bond Ultimate lotion versions:

Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion, Aloe
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=138145&catid=10307
Water, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Petrolatum, Jojoba Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Stearyl Alcohol, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Steareth 21, Steareth 2, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Polysorbate 60, Stearamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Methyl Gluceth 20, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipotassium EDTA, Fragrance, Potassium Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Gold Bond Ultimate Softening Shea Butter Lotion
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=158500&catid=892
Water, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Jojoba Esters, Petrolatum, Cetyl Alcohol, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Stearyl Alcohol, CyclopentaSiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth 20, Behentrimoinum Methosulfate, Glyceryl Stearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Extract, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Ceramide 2, Tocopherol Acetate, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavendar) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matriaria) Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, PEG 10 Rapeseed Sterol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Polysorbate 60, Stearamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Dimethiconol, Steareth 21, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Dipotassium EDTA, Propylparaben, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tribehenin, Isopropyl Myristate, Potassium Hydroxide, Acacia Farnesiana Extract 245-123

Gold Bond Ultimate Restoring Skin Therapy Lotion (CoQ10)
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=184105&catid=10307
Water, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Jojoba Esters, Petrolatum, Glyceryl Stearate, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth 20, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii Extract (Shea Butter), Ubiquinone, Ceramide 2, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Niacinamide, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, PEG 10 Rapeseed Sterol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Polysorbate 60, Stearamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Steareth 21, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, EDTA, Propylparaben, Butylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tribehenin, Potassium Hydroxide

Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |