Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Skincerity?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Before and after pictures would be nice but a half face test would be better.

Is this company like Amway?

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I have been following the discussion regarding Skincerity and have a few things to add. I have been in the beauty industry for over 20 years and have been writing, reviewing and test-driving product for the past 10 for various publications. Recently, I became aware of Skincerity and tested it. I have written several reviews on the product since and you can see my results (which were conducted over a two week period) to see how my it went. This product is truly unique but more importantly, it does what it says it does and while the delivery system is unorthodox, it makes for a very effective result. Especially if used in tandem with other skin care products or skin treatments ( dermalogical treatments etc) I love the fact that while Skincerity is being currently promoted as a beauty treatment, it's really a skin treatment for all types of skin ailments (bug bites, rashes, rosesea,etc) as well as the classic beauty applications of wrinkle, hydration, pigmentation and overall improved texture of skin. (You may google 101ideas if you want to read more as I am a new member and cannot post the link here.... ) to see more of my personal experience with the product. I should add that I was so moved by the effects of this product that I became a distributor and my kit is never without it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:12 am      Reply with quote
TheMakeupGirl,

Wow it does blow me away a little about acetone (used to be a cosmologist as well) I know it says it is a different type of acetone, I would be interested as to the differences.

All that said NIH does not hand out recommendations easily, and their reputation is awesome.
This has certainly piqued my interest!

DM

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Dark Moon,

the acetone question comes up often as most people even ones in the industry like ourselves, don't necessarily know that there are various grades of it within hundreds of beauty aids. To be sure, this company did extensive R&D for this product and created a product that is antibacterial and a breathable barrier to allow skin to do what it does best in perfect conditions. So far, I have not seen any adverse effects of the acetone, more of a personal like or dislike. But overall, m,y analysis still gives this product high marks. Personally, I continue to see great results as do my clientel.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:41 am      Reply with quote
TheMakeupGirl,

Thanks for your quick response, I will check out the earlier link and give it a read. I at 55 am not sure for myself really normal skin! My son who I have using OCM with Tea Tree oil added is on meds for a chronic condition, the meds cause acne as a side effect. The OCM has drastically improved his breakouts, but as the meds continue to exacerbate the acne it is a constant battle! I have to research more before I would have him try this, but it is a very interesting concept.
Thanks again for all the info!

DM

Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi DM,

I know a lot of places where Skincerity is being presented as a great Acne treatment. I would like to stress that while Skincerity does help with breakouts and does help the healing process of skin (it was devised initially with federal grant money for post skin cancer care) it is NOT a product that permeates the skin. It sits on the surface of the skin and acts an an anti bacteria shield that breathes and allows oxygen to pass through to whatever product beneath.

You can further research Skincerity by doing a search....
let me know how it goes as I am always looking for more info on the product.

best,

TMG

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I understand what you are saying, but as acne is caused by bacteria....hmmm has me wondering, plus I have him using an anti-acne treatment before bed It is a DIY recipe.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
TheMakeupGirl wrote:
It sits on the surface of the skin and acts an an anti bacteria shield that breathes and allows oxygen to pass through to whatever product beneath.

Can you explain this more, Themakeupgirl? What are the benefits of the this product? Is this used to help your other products penetrate deeper, etc? Sorry, I am not understanding what exactly this product does!
havana8

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
TheMakeupGirl wrote:
It sits on the surface of the skin and acts an an anti bacteria shield that breathes and allows oxygen to pass through to whatever product beneath.

Can you explain this more, Themakeupgirl? What are the benefits of the this product? Is this used to help your other products penetrate deeper, etc? Sorry, I am not understanding what exactly this product does!

The article posted on page 1 explains it a bit more, RG. Also their website goes into the science behind it and how it works. HTHs.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Havana8. Sorry, I had a thick headed moment, and since discovered the "science" page on their website! Very Happy
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Am I understanding this product correctly - you can use with OR without other products and either way should improve your skin?
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
TheMakeupGirl,

Wow it does blow me away a little about acetone (used to be a cosmologist as well) I know it says it is a different type of acetone, I would be interested as to the differences.

All that said NIH does not hand out recommendations easily, and their reputation is awesome.
This has certainly piqued my interest!

DM

Acetone is a chemical compound (CH3COCH3), a colorless liquid with an ethereal odor used as a solvent. If the acetone used in this product is a particular "grade" or derivative (as was suggested) then it should be accurately listed on the ingredients to reflect that fact (ie benzylidene acetone, isopropylidene acetone).  

I was able to find this study about acetone and the skin:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2728065

From what I can tell, the acetone disrupts the barrier of the skin by reducing the stratum corneum. This results in an increase of TEWL (trans epidermal water loss). The polymers form a film-like barrier, and the Vitamin E is the active ingredient. BTW, if the film is "breathable" then water will escape through it as well. Skin doesn't breathe per se, but it does transpire. Nothing new or exciting (as others have noted on this thread).

One of my concerns with the product is the way it is sold via a distribution network. It seems like quite a few of the posts here are from people selling the product. I tend to discount those reviews personally.

I don't think the NIH recommends this product? Rather, some research studies on acetone were done with funding provided by the NIH. I am not sure WHO actually did the research, but often companies are end-users of research findings rather than actual producers of the studies. Perhaps this case is different than the norm.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Lacey,
My understanding on the study is skin was swabbed with liquid acetone to strip the top layer? I also didn't catch anything (quick read) about a specific grade of acetone, maybe I missed something there. I asked my son's gastroenteritis about using this and he said absolutely no!

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Lacey,
My understanding on the study is skin was swabbed with liquid acetone to strip the top layer? I also didn't catch anything (quick read) about a specific grade of acetone, maybe I missed something there. I asked my son's gastroenteritis about using this and he said absolutely no!

DM

Basically the acetone strips the top dead layers of the epidermis. This allows the active ingredient to penetrate. Many ingredients do the same ... ethanol, SD alcohol, vinegar, glycolic acid etc. I checked on SkinDeep for further information; normally acetone is used as a nail polish remover. It hasn't been assessed for safety in cosmetics by the industry panel. I did read that it's overall hazard rating is 5 (moderate). There are some concerns about neurotoxicity, developmental & reproductive toxicity as well as irritation to the skin, eyes and lungs.

I am not aware of any other company besides this one that uses this ingredient in products that are applied to facial skin. I am not sure of the validity of the statement that Clinique used this as one of the ingredients in their toner products years ago (may be an internet myth?).

I believe there is a pharmaceutical grade acetone available, but I have no idea what it is intended for. Most research would be conducted with pharmaceutical grade ingredients since they are purer and not intended for regular industrial usage.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:10 am      Reply with quote
So, are we thinking this could be potentially dangerous to our skin and/or health?

Hopefully someone will come along with some more info on what grade Acetone they use and if this is safe or not (with some studies or data to back up their comments).
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if it contributes to the discussion, but I did find a factsheet prepared by Skincerity on Acetone: http://www.freeskincerity.com/acetone.pdf
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,
Hi I read the study, what concerns me is using such a strong product so close to mouth, nose and eyes. Acetone, unless they somehow deodorized this is potent as far as fumes go? I don't see enough to convince me this would be great near those areas. I know how strong the fumes are every time I walk into a nail salon I just wonder, imaging my self choking on fumes and eyes tearing. I just don't know enough about this yet!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I've caved in and am going to try it out on one hand. I'll take pictures to see if there are any changes for the better. And at least I'll have an idea of whether the smell is overpowering.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Well, I've caved in and am going to try it out on one hand. I'll take pictures to see if there are any changes for the better. And at least I'll have an idea of whether the smell is overpowering.

Looking forward to your review on this. I'm also nervous about using acetone on my facial skin.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,
That sounds like the prudent choice! I think I would try it well before sleep, wouldn't want it not to completely dry as we might rub eyes while sleeping. Or on a day off to check it out!
Keep us posted, very interested in what you think of this!

TIA Very Happy
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:

You and me both, Skippie! We will have to compare notes!! Laughing
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
That's funny, Rileygirl, because I thought maybe I could try it out on the lip lines if there didn't seem to be a problem with it on my hand.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
That's funny, Rileygirl, because I thought maybe I could try it out on the lip lines if there didn't seem to be a problem with it on my hand.

Great minds think alike! Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy
Well I'll be waiting to hear from both your great minds!
Thanks for being our Guinea Pigs Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

TIA
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:45 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Very Happy
Well I'll be waiting to hear from both your great minds!
Thanks for being our Guinea Pigs Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

TIA
DM

I think I always end up being the guinea pig! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |