Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I am going to stop wearing make up!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
That's it, no more make up. (Except for special occasions) But for every day, no concealer, not even for around my eyes. Maybe this will encourage me to get more sleep, so that the dark circles under my eyes aren't too awful! Nothing but moisturizer, sunscreen, and stuff for my lips. (Moisturizer that has slight tint or sparkles in it is acceptable)

The reason for this is that my concealer doesn't go over my sunscreen that well and I'm not up to the task (or expense!) of finding new products that do get along and instead I've come to the conlusion that it's more important to be wearing sunscreen than concealer. I'd prefer to sacrifice a bit of my appearance today to maximize my appearance 30 years from now rather than be making the most of my looks today at the expense of the future.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
I hear ya Nimue Smile Sometimes I'm fed up with putting on concealer and stuff too. It's time consuming. The problem with me is that watever concealer I used, it doesn't completely cover my circles naturally...so what's the point?

Btw, which sunscreen r u using? I'm having a hard time finding one that's not too greasy or doesn't break me out.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
I hear ya Nimue Smile Sometimes I'm fed up with putting on concealer and stuff too. It's time consuming. The problem with me is that watever concealer I used, it doesn't completely cover my circles naturally...so what's the point?

Btw, which sunscreen r u using? I'm having a hard time finding one that's not too greasy or doesn't break me out.

I'm using the Mexitan spf 50, and I mix some dermalogica day bright into it. The mexitan is safe/healthy for skin and it's cost effective but it's not that cosmetically elegant... There is some white cast, but I'm fairly light so on me it's not bad. On the bright side, it's not greasy and it doesn't break me out. The worst thing about it, worse than any whiteness, is that when I apply it some of it flakes off and I have to be careful to brush off the white flakes.

I get all kinds of conflicting messages on my dark circles and concealer. My sister and mother tell me that I don't need concealer at all. However, the few times my dad has seen me when I'm not wearing concealer he's asked me if I'm sick, that my eyes look awful. It always takes some time to explain to him that no, I'm not sick, that's how my under eye circles are every day, I just always cover them up with make up.

Even given all that, I'm still determined to try a natural look, and I've been wearing concealer since early high school so it'll take some getting used to.
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:24 am      Reply with quote
Oh my gosh, i don't even touch concealer anymore! I use skinflash by dior which you don't need to only use under eyes...but to contour other areas. Such as side of the mouth, down the nose etc. Goes over sunscreen like a breeze too Smile This is what it looks like: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2842717?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=dior+makeup+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:39 am      Reply with quote
Btw, 2 of my favorite sunscreens are: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/leaf-rusher-solar-screen-p_8881.htm

and

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica-ultra-sens-fa-p_1541.htm

All I do is put this on my face and neck after my cream. Then a put a face primer on, then foundation..etc. I have oily/combo skin and these 2 sunscreens never feel greasy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 am      Reply with quote
cortigirl, how long does the skinflash by Dior last you? (It looks interesting).
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:38 am      Reply with quote
This is really funny because I've come to the same conclusion. I just bought my last concealer. I have spent so much money on this stuff and all everyone of them does is make my undereye area look dry and cakey. So, instead I invested in Hylexin to lighten up the undereye area a smidgen.

I don't wear eyeshadow either because it always creases or smudges or does anything but accentuate my eyes. I don't wear mascara because I always end up losing lashes when I try to take it off. Instead I've invested in a lash conditoner to make my eyelashes look naturally thicker and healthier.

Instead of spending my money on make-up I'm now investing in good skin care. When I go out on a special evening I'll wear a little blush and lip gloss and that's it. I don't even like lipstick because I find it eventually makes my lips drier.

This saves so much time and money. I wish I had thought of it earlier in my life.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions. But the leaf and Rusher is mostly chemical, which I'm trying to minimize and both of them are a whole lot more expensive than the mexitan. I'm also not going to wear any foundation, and the dior flash thing looks as much effort as concealer.

cortigirl wrote:
Btw, 2 of my favorite sunscreens are: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/leaf-rusher-solar-screen-p_8881.htm

and

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica-ultra-sens-fa-p_1541.htm

All I do is put this on my face and neck after my cream. Then a put a face primer on, then foundation..etc. I have oily/combo skin and these 2 sunscreens never feel greasy.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, that's my philosophy. I wear no make up so it's possible I come off as low maintenance, but people have no idea how much I care about my skin.

Eye make up for me- I wear it for special occasions but in the day to day, nothing. I don't use anything special for my eyelashes though except some castor oil occasionally to moisturize.

Is Hylexin working for you?

Recently I've been using Kandis' Upper Lip Line Eliminator and my eyes are actually looking a lot better, which is part of what inspired me to ditch concealer. ULLE costs about the same as the Hylexin and I think it helped by plumping up the skin. It's meant to work on wrinkles, it's not marketed for dark circles at all. The reason why I have it is that I got it for my mom and she doesn't like it. I don't know if I'll buy it again after I use up what I have now, I'll have to think about it... I'll just use the ULLE I have now really slowly.

leeleedeedee wrote:
This is really funny because I've come to the same conclusion. I just bought my last concealer. I have spent so much money on this stuff and all everyone of them does is make my undereye area look dry and cakey. So, instead I invested in Hylexin to lighten up the undereye area a smidgen.

I don't wear eyeshadow either because it always creases or smudges or does anything but accentuate my eyes. I don't wear mascara because I always end up losing lashes when I try to take it off. Instead I've invested in a lash conditoner to make my eyelashes look naturally thicker and healthier.

Instead of spending my money on make-up I'm now investing in good skin care. When I go out on a special evening I'll wear a little blush and lip gloss and that's it. I don't even like lipstick because I find it eventually makes my lips drier.

This saves so much time and money. I wish I had thought of it earlier in my life.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I am with you Nimue. My usual day consists of moisturizer, sunscreen, blush, mascara and lip gloss. For special occasions I wear a tinted moisturizer and Lauren Hutton Face Disk. I spend a fortune to take care of my skin so I let it show. Laughing Seriously, I look much younger with the barest of makeup.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Nimue....I only recently started with the Hylexin so it's too early to tell, but I do like the formula. First of all it is non irritating. I have extremely sensitive eyes and I was worried about that but thankfully there is no irritation whatsoever. I also like the way the cream just sinks into the skin. A little pat,pat,pat under the eyes and it's all gone. My moisturizer goes right over that without any problem. I hope it works but at least it's a product I can use right up to the very end and not have to throw away.

I also don't wear any foundation any longer. They all seemed to be too drying or too greasy or made me break out or just wasn't the right colour. Again, a product I spent a fortune on.

Winnie....I also found I look better with the barest of makeup. I thought I needed tons of eye makeup to make them stand out and look great, but the opposite is true. Good, healthy skin is the way to go.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I don't think I look better without make up, I think I look a lot better with make up and definitely not wearing any sunscreen. That's why it's a sacrifice... When my mom saw me with just the sunscreen the other day (just after I applied it, so this is before it had enough time to sink in) she basically told me I shouldn't ever go anywhere like that if I care about my appearance.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
I spend a fortune to take care of my skin so I let it show. Laughing Seriously, I look much younger with the barest of makeup.

I love that! My thoughts exactly- better to have great skin naturally than be able to make it look like great skin.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I too have struggled with finding a concealer that doesn't make my undereye area look worse. I have "crow's feet" and all concealers I have tried emphasize them, look shiny, or don't match my coloring, etc.

I've been going without concealer for more than a year. I am planning to invest more time in facial massage, cream (I'm eyeing one on Ebay that has a number of good ingredients), etc. to reduce puffiness and discoloration under my eyes.

The Lauren Hutton disc concealers (which you also can purchase separately or as a concealer set) were recommended to me by people I trust as the best option for not settling in creases, looking natural, etc. I see that Winnie uses the Lauren Hutton disc on special occasions.

I do makeup my eyes with mascara, liner, and eyeshadow as I am so fair I feel my eyes need it. The rest of the face, I moisturize and use I use lip balm. My friends say even the makeup I use is subtle Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:51 am      Reply with quote
cortigirl wrote:
Oh my gosh, i don't even touch concealer anymore! I use skinflash by dior which you don't need to only use under eyes...but to contour other areas. Such as side of the mouth, down the nose etc. Goes over sunscreen like a breeze too Smile This is what it looks like: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2842717?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=dior+makeup+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

Cortigirl...this product interests me. I notice that it's available in 3 shades. How do I go about choosing the right one? Also, does it leave a shiny finish? (sometimes products like these can look a tad artificial).
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:01 am      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:
cortigirl wrote:

Cortigirl...this product interests me. I notice that it's available in 3 shades. How do I go about choosing the right one? Also, does it leave a shiny finish? (sometimes products like these can look a tad artificial).

Gosh, finding the right color might be a little tricky!! I usually just go to a sears or the bay...saks, neiman marcus, nordstrom, macys..anybody that carries the dior line! Then at least you can try it on there!

It lasts me for a few months actually. And i use it everyday. This is 1 product that i swear by! I HATE concealer..but this stuff is way better (unless u are trying to cover a pimple haha). It has light reflectors so you look like you have the most amazing undereyes whether or not you wear foundation.

To everyone who doesn't want to wear foundation.... I'M FREAKING JEALOUS!! lol...i have large pores so i kind of have no choice but to wear it. It makes me look poreless..so it's kinda hard not to wear it! Very Happy

And how the sunscreen, just out of curiousity what's the big deal if there is chemicals in the product? Does it ruin your skin or something? Because right now i'm using both of those sunscreens (more the dermalogical) but if it's going to ruin my skin i wouldn't want to continue using it!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
I too have struggled with finding a concealer that doesn't make my undereye area look worse. I have "crow's feet" and all concealers I have tried emphasize them, look shiny, or don't match my coloring, etc.

I've been going without concealer for more than a year. I am planning to invest more time in facial massage, cream (I'm eyeing one on Ebay that has a number of good ingredients), etc. to reduce puffiness and discoloration under my eyes.

The Lauren Hutton disc concealers (which you also can purchase separately or as a concealer set) were recommended to me by people I trust as the best option for not settling in creases, looking natural, etc. I see that Winnie uses the Lauren Hutton disc on special occasions.

I do makeup my eyes with mascara, liner, and eyeshadow as I am so fair I feel my eyes need it. The rest of the face, I moisturize and use I use lip balm. My friends say even the makeup I use is subtle Laughing

For my 63 your old mother i use primer on her problem areas which also includes crows feet! It fills in the lines perfectly. Then i put the skinflash on top..and it just smoothes on perfectly without emphasizing at all. She looks years younger, i love it!

leeleedeedee- I have oily lids myself. To stop the eyeshadow from creasing is i use the mac paints. Which you can purchase online. I just get the beige color because it goes with everything!

For the mascara you should be using a conditioner or a primer before putting the actual mascara on! It helps prevent breakage Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:45 am      Reply with quote
How about tinted sunscreen and then a light dusting of powder or even a SPF powder on top? That should cover a bit instead of going naked! How brave though!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
cortigirl wrote:

And how the sunscreen, just out of curiousity what's the big deal if there is chemicals in the product? Does it ruin your skin or something? Because right now i'm using both of those sunscreens (more the dermalogical) but if it's going to ruin my skin i wouldn't want to continue using it!

I'm not 100% sure that chemical sunscreen ruins the skin but according to some research chemical sunscreen can be absorbed into the skin with possible harmful effects. Physical sunscreen works by blocking the rays, but chemical sunscreen works by absorbing the rays.

I'm trying to minimize my use of chemical sunscreen- the day bright spf 15, which I'm currently using a tiny amount of, has chemical sunscreen in it so I'm not totally shunning chemical sunscreen. By the way, the dermalogica sunscreen you mentioned is a purely physical sunscreen. If I had unlimited funds for it, I would love to be using dermalogica super sensitive faceblock spf 30. It's an all physical sunscreen and has no tint, and dermalogica products are so cosmetically elegant.

I need a sunscreen that's not expensive so that I'm not afraid of using a lot of it. I need to protect my chest, neck and shoulders, not just my face... The sunscreen I'm using now is all physical and fairly cheap, so this is good enough for me.
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
cortigirl wrote:

I'm not 100% sure that chemical sunscreen ruins the skin but according to some research chemical sunscreen can be absorbed into the skin with possible harmful effects. Physical sunscreen works by blocking the rays, but chemical sunscreen works by absorbing the rays.

I'm trying to minimize my use of chemical sunscreen- the day bright spf 15, which I'm currently using a tiny amount of, has chemical sunscreen in it so I'm not totally shunning chemical sunscreen. By the way, the dermalogica sunscreen you mentioned is a purely physical sunscreen. If I had unlimited funds for it, I would love to be using dermalogica super sensitive faceblock spf 30. It's an all physical sunscreen and has no tint, and dermalogica products are so cosmetically elegant.

I need a sunscreen that's not expensive so that I'm not afraid of using a lot of it. I need to protect my chest, neck and shoulders, not just my face... The sunscreen I'm using now is all physical and fairly cheap, so this is good enough for me.

So sorry, I posted the wrong dermalogica sunscreen i like. It's actually this one i really like but it's more expensive: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica-oil-free-matt-p_7216.htm

But i see it's out of stock on EDS! GRR.. I wish i could tell you a really good inexpensive sunscreen but I just finally FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE started using sunscreen a few weeks ago! I was given tons of samples from a skin and laser center and the one i showed you from dermalogica just goes on my skin so smoothly. But it sure is pricey!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I found that sunblock on ebay for cheaper: http://cgi.ebay.com/DERMALOGICA-OIL-FREE-MATTE-SUNBLOCK-1-7-OZ-SAMPLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ150149178814QQihZ005QQcategoryZ67490QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips Cortigirl. I'm also not very good at applying makeup but it's fun to try some things when one is going out to a special occasion.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
cortigirl wrote:
Oh my gosh, i don't even touch concealer anymore! I use skinflash by dior which you don't need to only use under eyes...but to contour other areas. Such as side of the mouth, down the nose etc. Goes over sunscreen like a breeze too Smile ...

cortigirl I use a similar product by YSL, the Touche Eclat! My daily look is, over moisturiser and sunscreen, eyeliner to make my eyes pop, a bit of brown shadow to make me look awake, blush and a swipe of nude lipstick! And then Touch Eclat when I didn't get enough sleep the night before (I don't have an issue with dark circles, fortunately). I use Laura Mercier's Mineral Finishing Powder sometimes to keep away from shine, but that's it.

Winnie I spend a lot on my skin, so yes I like to let it show, too!
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
cortigirl wrote:
Oh my gosh, i don't even touch concealer anymore! I use skinflash by dior which you don't need to only use under eyes...but to contour other areas. Such as side of the mouth, down the nose etc. Goes over sunscreen like a breeze too Smile ...

cortigirl I use a similar product by YSL, the Touche Eclat! My daily look is, over moisturiser and sunscreen, eyeliner to make my eyes pop, a bit of brown shadow to make me look awake, blush and a swipe of nude lipstick! And then Touch Eclat when I didn't get enough sleep the night before (I don't have an issue with dark circles, fortunately). I use Laura Mercier's Mineral Finishing Powder sometimes to keep away from shine, but that's it.

Winnie I spend a lot on my skin, so yes I like to let it show, too!

Have your ever tried cornstarch to control shine? That's my favorite powder in the whole world to control shine and it's cheap!! Smile Sounds like you do a great job on your makeup! I am FINALLY taking the steps to better skin..so i hope i can be as lucky as you are to be able to show it off without putting foundation on!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
cortigirl wrote:
Have your ever tried cornstarch to control shine? That's my favorite powder in the whole world to control shine and it's cheap!! Smile Sounds like you do a great job on your makeup! I am FINALLY taking the steps to better skin..so i hope i can be as lucky as you are to be able to show it off without putting foundation on!

Thanks, I still have like half a bottle of BB Liquid Foundation still unused. I find that I look better without it these days.

Yes I have tried cornstarch to control shine, now I'm wondering why I ever stopped using it. I remember being a student in the UK years ago, Cornsilk was what I used, it was the best powder that helped with shine, and it had cornstarch in it! But when I returned to Malaysia it wasn't available and I started using all sorts of other things (to no luck, obviously, til I found this forum and learned a great many things Very Happy ).

I think I'm going to fill up my LMFP jar with constarch when it's finished... thanks for reminding me of cornstarch!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |