Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Brush for scalp massage
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:12 am      Reply with quote
While reading up on brushing for lymphatic drainage and better circulation and searching for my facial cleansing brush I stumbled upon articles on scalp massage.

Now of course I can use my bare hands to massage my scalp, but since I'm on a brushing spree of sorts now Laughing I'm looking for a scalp brush, too. I figured it'll be easier to bend down and brush your scalp and have the bristles do the work rather than using your fingers. I have a Mason Pearson but it's more for grooming than massaging the scalp.

Anyone has any recs? TIA Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Pumpingmummy - I would imagine it to be very difficult to dry brush my scalp without getting lots of knots in my hair.

I guess that would be possible only for people who are bold or have very short hair.

Scalp massage with fingers and thorough brushing with a quality hairbrush to stimulate circulation will be the way to go, in my opinion.

You are really into brushing now... Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:47 am      Reply with quote
I think that Goody makes a brush that's supposed to be infused with Jojoba oil, that's meant to be good for scalp massage too.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
The Widu brush has been touted for this in particular: www.widu.com
http://www.squeakymonroe.com/test.asp?familyid=1022
some reviews at:
http://www.chinaberry.com/11180.cfm
http://www.isabellacatalog.com/1679.cfm

There are also some devices made particularly for this. You sometimes see "shampoo brushes" in the drugstore for the scalp massage. Recently I was in a beauty store in NJ and picked up a brush made especially for head massage made in France (I'll post more info later if I can find it). Also Chinese medicine devices to stimulate the scalp.

I love a scalp / head massage!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:51 am      Reply with quote
These massaging hair brushes made more sense to me.

When I wrote my post, I was thinking about brushing scalp in circular motions for lymph flow etc. I think that would be impossible.

On the other hand, if you're going to brush straight through your hair, I would think a quality hair brush will do a decent job, as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
I'll see if I can find the tag (if I didn't throw it out) for the French massage brush/comb. It only cost about $6-8 and came in a # of colors. On the brush itself, it says ------------ #960 France. I didn't see it on their website though: www.------------.com (I previewed and I think the name is being blocked out because it is S*P*O*R*N*E*T*T*E)

Like I said before, for cheap, you can usually find things called "shampoo brushes" or "scalp brushes" in drugstores. Examples of some:
http://www.amazon.com/Diane-Shampoo-Scalp-Massage-Brush/dp/B0002RPTX4
http://www.folica.com/DENMAN_Shampoo__r400_1.html

And more expensive is the the Widu and, on Ebay, an "Acupuncture Comb" with various claims:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Acupuncture-Comb-High-Blood-Pressure-Hair-Loss-Headache_W0QQitemZ330223494191QQihZ014QQcategoryZ37822QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
OMG lunarmm I am sooo wanting this Widu Bibunga hairbrush Image! But I have to settle for something less pricey for now sigh... Sad

The Acupuncture brush is interesting but it's too weird-looking for my liking. And the shampoo brush won't reach my scalp when my hair is wet, I doubt it will ever be useful when my hair is dry! Thanks for all your recs though lunarmm, you have been really helpful! Very Happy

Sept - I laughed so hard when I read your first reply. I went, "Oh nonono! That's now what I meant!" Laughing This part was especially funny:
Septembergirl wrote:
... I would imagine it to be very difficult to dry brush my scalp without getting lots of knots in my hair.

I guess that would be possible only for people who are bold ...Laughing

Anyway like I said I have a good hairbrush, the MP, but the bristles are too short for my hair, they don't reach my scalp the way I want.

I'm still on the hunt, so anymore recs are welcomed!

p/s Yes I'm really into brushing now... didn't I tell you I have a selection of wooden nail brushes, too? For drybrushing may arms and legs on the go... Dancing
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
OMG lunarmm I am sooo wanting this Widu Bibunga hairbrush Image! ...

Oh it's Bubinga, sorry... Razz

Isn't it just gorgeous though?
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
i really love my horn combs.

i bought them from the longhairs lady, and then found out that you can get cheaper ones elsewhere. If you talk to her about it, she has all kinds of reasons for it, they mostly come down to homeopathy and stuff, specific minerals that are supposedly more present in her combs etc.

anyway, i wouldn't worry about that, but the horn combs have been GREAT. and i highly recommend them, but not necessarily hers.

you use a method called "scritching" where you kind of scritch with the comb from hair line to crown the whole way around the head. it's great and leaves the scalp feeling tingly and awake.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I want a horn comb, too, now!!! Bad Grin

I have found what could possibly be a cheaper alternative to the Bubinga Widu! It's the wooden quill hairbrush from the Body Shop! Lookie here: Image

Now I don't know how this compares with the Widu, but it'll do for now I guess. It's only a fraction of the price of the Widu that I want. Will let y'all know how it fares on my scalp! Dancing
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
dang I accidentally deleted the picture of the Widu Bubinga Wood hairbrush from my photobuscket album now you can't see it in my posts... here it is again Rolling Eyes :Image

ETA: Weird. NOW I can see it... hmm hmm hmm
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
pustekuchen wrote:
i really love my horn combs.
...the horn combs have been GREAT. ....

pustekuchen, could you say more about what makes them great? What do they do to your hair &/ scalp? The 'scritching' can be done using other fine toothed combs, too, no?
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting thread. I am on my second week of FlexEffect facial exercise. I read on their forum that some have noticed their hair getting thicker with massage/exercise. Part of FlexEffect program is massaging the face. I have included massaging my scalp with my hands. I am determined to help my baby, thin hair. Something tells me that I should use my hands rather then a brush where my hair is delicate. I am also using JanMarini's new product for the hair (whole other subject).

I will keep reading this thread for ideas. Thanks Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'd like to share what I do when applying oils on my scalp in preparation for a massage. Most, if not all, of the articles on scalp massage I've read suggest pouring the oil in a bowl, dipping your fingers into the bowl and spreading the oil on your scalp using the pads of your fingers. Well my hair is thick and long, and dip-spread-massage-dip-spread doesn't work for me; I never seem to be able to get oil on all parts of scalp satisfactorily. I always end up with certain areas inadequately oiled and certain other areas with too much oil. So I have been using a cream developer bottle from a home hair colour kit that has a long nozzle on top and a tiny opening with a screw cap to do the job for me. I part my hair and run the nozzle along, squeezing the bottle gently so that equal amounts of oil get distributed along the parting. Then I rub the oil in, and move on to another parting until my whole head is done. Here is the bottle I'm using (if you are wondering why it's black, it's because this particular bottle is filled with whiteboard marker refill ink Razz )Image

I find that I don't over oil my hair with this trick, hope it helps someone!

p/s I got the wooden quill brush from the Body Shop, and it is awesome! It stimulates my scalp with each stroke and because the bristles are wood, I don't worry about damaging them with oil! (Not sure if oil does damage bristles, but I've always had to be careful not to get oil on my MP hairbrush). It's made in Germany, btw. But I still want that Widu...
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I think using almond oil for scalp massage is very beneficial.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
why do i like the horn combs?

first, because they're carved (most places say hand finished and they might be, dunno) there are no seams to catch on and rip or scratch the the hair shaft. and the edges aren't sharp enough to scratch the scalp.

second, because they're made of keratin or whatever, they distribute oils really nicely (like a boar bristle brush)

i have two sizes (well, three, but one i don't often use) one with big flat tines and one with smaller, rounder tines.

the whole scritching process, or even just combing through my hair and making contact with the scalp feels sooo good.

it also loosens up my scalp and the dead skin, before i wash my hair, so my scalp actually feels cleaner (for me, that's kind of key, because i get psoriasis or eczema (hte dermatologists can't agree) and so i get a lot of buildup)

i'm left with a warm tingly feeling in my scalp.

i think i'm gonna go do that now Smile
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Pustenkuchen, I googled scritching/skritching but couldn't find anything so I still don't know how to scritch (though I do have some idea...).

Sylphide Noir mentioned this as well, in one of the older threads. So what exactly is scritching? hmm
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Nevermind, found it! (Complete with pictures, too!) Is this also where you get your horn combs, pustekuchen? http://www.longhairs.com/use/horncombs.htm

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:34 am      Reply with quote
heh, that's exactly it, i just came back here to post that exact link Smile (i didn't have time to hunt it out when i first read your question)

yes, that's the method, that's also where i got my combs, and i do like them, but there are much cheaper places to get them online, ebay and etsy and such.

i recommend two combs, one with larger flatter tines maybe three to four per inch, and one with smaller rounder or diamond shaped tines, like eight to ten per inch.

the woman from longhairs (i went to her store in toronto) is nice, she's big on homeopathy. and says that the place she gets her combs from specially bred the animals for the keratin qualities. she also will tell you about how the different colours of horn combs represent the different minerals that are present, and how these will have a different effect on different people with different needs.

if that information makes a difference for you, by all means send her an email, and ask her what she'd recommend for you.

if not, there are cheaper places to buy horn combs.
however, i do wonder if maybe some of the cheaper ones are actually horn, or if they're horn like resin.

i'm not disappointed by my purchase at all, she was the only place i knew to get horn combs when i got mine BUT, any combs i get in the future i will probably buy elsewhere, though with caution, and when they arrive, i'll likely have the material checked.

http://stores.ebay.com/Terminator-9999s-Store
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=11006593
http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/522962.htm
http://www.james-smith.co.uk/acatalog/Horn_Combs.html
http://www.shatilagifts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=37

huh, there's even a place that has more expensive combs http://www.oneatatime.com/
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 11:22 am      Reply with quote
FYI: Widu is having a Mother's Day promotion. Use coupon code: MOTHER1 until 5/8 to get 10% off.

Also, they have a new item:

Colored Purse Wooden Bristle Brushes $25
NEW FOR 2008!
https://www.widu.com/product/42785
Youthful and colorful purse sized wooden bristle brushes. Colored with non-toxic water resistant colors. A twill bag is included to keep the brushes fresh in your purse. Colors: candy pink; sunflower yellow; cherry red; purple passion; cerise; azure blue

Now I have to get myself a horn comb!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
I just got this brush:
http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9875

Does anyone know what is the correct way to perform the scalp massage with the brush, such as how many strokes, etc?

Thank you.
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
doba wrote:
I just got this brush:
http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9875

Does anyone know what is the correct way to perform the scalp massage with the brush, such as how many strokes, etc?

Thank you.

Does it help with dandruff also?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |