Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Expiry Dates on Sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I have sunscreens a few months past their expiry date. Will this affect the quality? What about unopened bottles? One sales person at Shopper's Drugs was selling expired sunscreen at a very tempting price. I was told it wouldn't matter.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Once a sunscreen is past it's expiry date then I think it's pretty much useless. I heard that you shouldn't use sunscreen that's been opened for more than a few months because the SPF rating decreases and the product isn't effective anymore.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn`t use it, doohicus. I went to the sea once with an old suncreen, and ended up by getting sun-burnt, throwing it away and buying a new one. Your ss can be ineffective so far.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I understand it'll be ineffective, but besides being ineffective, is it harmful?
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Its not harmful I do not think but does it smell yet and it will not protect you as the active ingrediants are no longer active so throw it out would be my advice
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Of course nothing's gonna work once a product expired! In fact, I heard that if a sunscreen is 6 months close to its expiry date, it's not as effective anymore.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43 am      Reply with quote
I would only worry about it if it was chemical sunscreen. Physical sunblock like TD works by blocking the UV. I have had expired stuff by a few months and it worked fine. Its also a ploy to get you to buy more sunscreen.
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47 am      Reply with quote
i will use them on my arms as body sun lotion

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:07 am      Reply with quote
I came by a magazine article where dermatologists cautioned that people should use up sunscreen within a year of having been opened as ingredients will deteriorate in that time frame.

I usually end up using a 200ml sunscreen within 8 months. Don't know if I'm using enough sunscreen though.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that sunscreen should be used up/thrown out if it's been open for a year, or by its expiration date (whichever comes first).
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
I read somewhere that sunscreen should be used up/thrown out if it's been open for a year, or by its expiration date (whichever comes first).

Actually, I had a sunscreen opened 3 months ago, and left untouched till now. Today when i opened, I found the water and oil were separated.

I also in one grocery store found a sample suncreen was completely bad (oil and water separation).

I guess because the specially oil/water mixture texture, suncreen goes bad very easily.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
I agree on the one year rule. I watched a show about skin cancer about a year ago. Apparently most people who are smart enought to apply sunscreen don't use enough and don't apply it often enough!

Mayo Clinic has good sunscreen info.
www.mayoclinic.com/health/sunscreen
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I was told that sunscreens even though expired might still be effective for a few more months. However, in my opinion, sunscreen is my defense for my face and I will never risk the chance of using expired product and damage my skin. Once damaged, you will probably end up spending a lot more money to repair it. So no worth the risk.
jess55
5% products discount

Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:10 am      Reply with quote
If the sunscreen has passed the expiry date, I don't believe that it is effective anymore. You may end up paying a few extra bucks, but it is worth it to buy a new tube of sunscreen. I know it's hard to throw away unopened products but do yourself a favor; dump them!
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 am      Reply with quote
just don't understand why they don't offer the smaller size sunscreen if using fresh is so imprtant?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Guess I'll be tossing out the old sunscreens. It's not worth the risk. Maybe I can use as moisturiser for legs and arms? Thanks for all the good advice.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that you can continue to use sunscreens up to 6 months past the expiration date. However when in doubt, it's best to use the fresh one since it's just not worth the risk. I don't know as it is if the one that I'm using is effective or not.
ChelseaaaHi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my, and I have some sitting for over years. Lol I should really throw them out :0

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Any sun cream needs to finish within 12 months after opening.

For unopened, most of the brands have a 4-5 years shelf life.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
fang wrote:
just don't understand why they don't offer the smaller size sunscreen if using fresh is so imprtant?

There are quite a bit of brands offering smaller sized sunscreen (usually 50ml). However, it really depends on the price, if the price of the sunscreen is high, then it tends to be in smaller size. Good examples are z.bigatti, the oil-free sunblock spf 30 of murad, sisley, sofina, et al. For murad, although it has a 50ml, expensive sunscreen, they also offer cheaper ones, but the sizes are 100ml. I think in order to make you feel that the sunscreens are all basically the same price, they tend to uniform all the prices, but the sizes really vary a lot.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
A 50ml tube sun protection facial cream will only last about 2 weeks if you have a sun and beach holiday.

Remember you need to reapply once every 2-3 hours. Also you need a very generous amount to put on.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I cut and copied this statement from revolutionhealth.com (link to site below). See portion on sunscreen expiring.

Does my sunscreen expire?
It's good practice to check the expiration date on your sunscreen. If it is expired, be safe and buy new sunscreen. According to the AAD, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires that sunscreen work at its capacity for three years. That said, if you have a three-year old bottle of sunscreen, you haven't been using the proper amount."I bet there are a lot of people who at the beginning of last summer bought an 8-ounce bottle of sunscreen and still have half of it left over," Stone says. "You are supposed to be applying 1 ounce -- or 2 tablespoons -- before you go outside, and you should be reapplying it every two to three hours, depending how active you are."
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/conditions/skin/skin-care/sun-exposure/sunscreen/sunscreen-facts

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
My son has sunscreens with an expiry date of 2002! Shock
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
If it's a purely physical sunscreen, expiration dates aren't a big deal I think, since the active ingredients are stable.
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Don't risk it I say
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |