Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

White nail tips
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I love the natural french manicure-look.

I buff my nails regularly, which increases blood flow and gives nail surface a pink, natural and shiny look. No need for nail enamel on top.

BUT my nail tips have a dull, grayish - and to some extent - transparent look. I have used whitening/bleaching products which is very helpful in removing yellowish stains etc from nails, but the nail tips don't get whiter.

For a night out it's fine to use a white nail pencil under nail tips, but it's gone after one or to hand washes.

Any suggestions on achieving long term white nail tips will be highly appreciated. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:45 am      Reply with quote
I have seen some good reviews for the Barielle Nail Brightener. I was thinking about buying some as I have the same problem as you it sounds. I don't think that anything can help change their colour in the long term though.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
This is an interesting question. Sometimes (like now) my nail tips look very white and then sometimes they look greyish/transparent, like septembergirl mentioned. And sometimes they look part white with transparent patches.

Anyone know what causes them to change colour? Is it maybe exposure to water/chemicals/oils or changes in temperature/humidity or some other weird thing Question

Septembergirl - are your nail tips always transparent or do they sometimes look white?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
This is an interesting question. Sometimes (like now) my nail tips look very white and then sometimes they look greyish/transparent, like septembergirl mentioned. And sometimes they look part white with transparent patches.

Anyone know what causes them to change colour? Is it maybe exposure to water/chemicals/oils or changes in temperature/humidity or some other weird thing Question

Septembergirl - are your nail tips always transparent or do they sometimes look white?

Hello, Appletini.

I experience exactly the same thing. It changes. Now and then they are very nice and white, and sometimes a few of the nails are white, but very often they are dull and grayish. Apparently this is one of life's little mysteries... hmm

I have been thinking about whether diet and supplements are playing a role. However, I take quite a few different supplements which have made nails stronger and less prone to breakage, but not whiter on the tips.

I have also been wondering if some kind of topical creams or solutions would make tips whiter, but don't know what to try...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I've always thought that if someone was to come up with a product for whitening the tips of nails they would make an absolute fortune. It's one of those areas where there is no perfect product.

I've found a white pencil to be the only thing that really helps BUT I don't use the ones that are specifically for this purpose - I use a charcoal white artist's pencil that I bought from the newsagents. I've found that this pencil lasts much longer and will even withstand hand washing. Before I apply it, I thoroughly wash my hands and underneath my nails and leave them damp. Then I also wet the pencil by dipping it in water and apply.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I'm watching this topic since I have the same question...
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I find that the frequency in which I wash my hands as well as the frequency I moisturize affects the whiteness of my nails. My diet also seems to play a big role...the condition of my skin and nails tends to be related.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:43 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I've always thought that if someone was to come up with a product for whitening the tips of nails they would make an absolute fortune. It's one of those areas where there is no perfect product.

I've found a white pencil to be the only thing that really helps BUT I don't use the ones that are specifically for this purpose - I use a charcoal white artist's pencil that I bought from the newsagents. I've found that this pencil lasts much longer and will even withstand hand washing. Before I apply it, I thoroughly wash my hands and underneath my nails and leave them damp. Then I also wet the pencil by dipping it in water and apply.

Good suggestion, Keliu.

I will check it out. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I've used the Barielle Nail Brightener (hard to find in stores but easily available on line) and it does brighten nails/nail tips. It's an optical brightener, though, and doesn't have any special ingredient to whiten the nail itself. Looking at it in the bottle, it has a slight irridescent (sp?) look. It goes on fairly light in color; a single coat is very natural-looking. I've noticed that in certain lights, I see an almost-bluish tinge to it. Wonder if it'd glow under blacklights? Laughing
Another thing, though, is that I think the Nail Brightener is best by itself and maybe a topcoat. It doesn't seem to take too well to regular polish on top; it all seems to not last and peel up easily.

I bought the Nail Brightener in the hope it would help my always-yellowish nails. It does do that, but I'm still looking for something that will prevent yellowing period. I know that if I stopped wearing polish for good, it'd go away. And it doesn't matter if I wear colors or not; must just be my nails. I've tried every basecoat out there, various soaks/washes, none of them work to my satisfaction. Best I've found so far is a very opaque basecoat from Nail Tek Nail Program. There are a few different "programs" in the line, depending on the condition of your nails. From what I remember, all their basecoats have this opaque look. They're supposed to be treatments for the nails. The one I've been using is Foundation III, a ridge-filling nail strengthener. The bottle says "This unique Nail Tek base coat fills unsightly ridges and nail damage while healing and conditioning the natural nail." That it does; I think it really helped my nails from drying out so much and splitting over this past winter, the worst time for my nails. I'm not sure what's in it to make it opaque, but whatever it is, it seems to be thick enough to block out ingredients in regular polish that cause discoloration. Maybe a chemist here among us could figure it out!

So there you have it - sorry to be so long but thought I'd share my experience! I'm somewhat of a nail and hand freak; I slather my hands with things overnight and put on cotton gloves, like to use cuticle creams, the works! My usual polish routine (but don't always wear polish) is the Nail Tek base coat, a coat or two of some of my favorite pales, and a shiny topcoat. So my nails look *done* but natural. Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Zephyr - I agree that brightening nail products are useful for brightening yellow and discoloured nails. I have been using Trind nail brightener, which seems to be similar to the Barielle. It's a leave-on product.

Another nice product is Leighton Denny brilliance serum. It's a bleaching product which is supposed to be rinsed off after five minutes. It removes stains and leaves nail surface light pink. I use this product as I prefer buffed nails without a coat on top. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl, I will have to look at both of the products you mention - thanks! The Denny product sounds especially intriguing to me...
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Leighton Denny is a quite new, British brand.

I use the brilliance serum once a week. It contains peroxide for a bleaching effect.

Here's a link to the product:

http://www.lookfantastic.com/nailcare/leighton-denny/manicure/leighton-denny-brilliance-serum.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Septembergirl and Zephyr - thanks for your suggestions. Underneath the nails on my right hand seem to get discoloured from the topicals that I use (CPs and other dark coloured serums and, of course, fake tan). I've tried lemon juice but that didn't help much. Don't know whether to try the Leighton Denny product or not because my discolouration is more underneath the nail than on top. Any thoughts?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:01 am      Reply with quote
My nails on the right hand get gray/yellow from vitamin C serum. The brilliance serum from Leighton Denny removes this kind of discoloration.

I would think that you could put it underneath the nails as well, as it's supposed to be rinsed off.

Another cheaper solution is to buy a bleaching product with peroxide for body hair (f. ex.. from Nair) and let it work on top of and underneath nails for 5 -10 minutes. It did not irritate my nails and works very well. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 am      Reply with quote
The Leighton Denny product you mentioned sounds great. I'm in the UK and have had a look before at his range but there were so many products that I wasn't sure which to choose! After I've finished the Barielle I'm going to try this.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 am      Reply with quote
The only time my nail tips are naturally white is when I'm on holidays where I'm spending a loods of time swimming/ snorkelling. I guess salt water naturally whitens them, and the sand acts as a buffer. Smile But I love getting professional French manicures, the white tips just look so clean and neat. The artist roughly paints a coat of white polish on, then uses a fine brush dipped in acetone to get a cleaner, sharp 'moon' tip. I wish I could make my manicure last at least 2 weeks. It's interesting how your hands get noticed when you have nice nails.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:22 am      Reply with quote
summertimegirl wrote:
The only time my nail tips are naturally white is when I'm on holidays where I'm spending a loods of time swimming/ snorkelling. I guess salt water naturally whitens them, and the sand acts as a buffer. Smile But I love getting professional French manicures, the white tips just look so clean and neat. The artist roughly paints a coat of white polish on, then uses a fine brush dipped in acetone to get a cleaner, sharp 'moon' tip. I wish I could make my manicure last at least 2 weeks. It's interesting how your hands get noticed when you have nice nails.

From my experience, too, I think it might be a point that salt water (and maybe sun?) make nail tips whiter. I'm sure you know more about summer and beauty, as you are Summertimegirl and I'm only Septembergirl. Smile

A French manicure that's painted on will only last for a couple of days on my nails.

I tried to paint underneath my nails with a white charcoal pencil. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get any white colour on my nails with the one I bought. I guess Keliu's pencil is a more professional type.

However, I tried to paint underneath my nails yesterday with a white permanent type ink (the one you find in bookstores to write on black paper), and today it still looks pretty good.

If it's not possible to get white nail tips in a natural way, this might be an alternative.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Everything comes alive and looks beautiful in Spring Septembergirl! Smile ..unless you're in the northern hemisphere, where I'm sure it's gorgeous too.

I've never actually tried painting on the underside of my nails with pencil or with ink, but it sounds like a good idea. Are they white perma markers with fine tips? Let me know how long it stays on for. Considering how much I wash my hands during the day (not compulsive/obsessively! lol) but does the ink wash away? Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl - yes, I used the one with a fine tip.

With this one my nails can take some hand washes without losing the white colour. I can definitely say it's better than the white nail pencils.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, I'll keep this option in mind September girl...I'm just a little bit dubious about using permanant marking ink in the undersides of my nails- toxic content, a little bit messy and plus I enjoy getting my nails done as a necessary treat. Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Well I've tried the hair bleaching method to get rid of the staining - and I'm very happy with the results. I used Sally Hansen Extra Strength Creme Hair Bleach. I did it for the first time last night and again this morning. My nails still aren't pristine white but most of the staining is gone and they look so much better. Thanks for the tip Septembergirl. Very Happy
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:15 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome, Keliu.

Another method is to soak your fingers for 10 minutes in a bowl of warm water with a Polident denture cleaning tablet.

It should efficiently remove the stains on top of and under the nails. If my nails are discoloured from vit C serums, this treatment makes them perfectly clean.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Reviving this old thread…

As the past couple of months I’ve been using various antifungal products on my body daily, eg zinc pyrithione body cleansers and anti-fungal creams (micanozole or clotrimazole), which of course I apply with my hands

And... I have noticed that my nail tips have been consistently bright white since I started this. Now it may just be a coincidence, but I’ve been making a point of checking my nails since I first noticed this and I’ve not once seen transparent or greyish nail tips, and it’s been some time now. They’re bright white as I type Very Happy
FitFifty
5% products discount

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Well, now that it's revived...
My nail tips are normally nice and white, and I hope this doesn't sound too obvious, but ...
I use a brush to clean under my nails every time I take a tub bath, each time I do my nails, and whenever else I think about it. (Or basically whenever I notice they're not quite as white as usual.) I also apply lotion after each hand-washing; even keep a small bottle in my purse.
I, too, buff my nails, and could easily go bare, but I usually wear a coat of clear polish/strengthener just as extra protection.
I like the natural look for everyday, but I love the painted French manicure, and will treat myself if I'm going somewhere special. Honestly, no one but you will notice a tiny chip in the white paint, so they may last longer than you think. I normally get at least a week as long as I'm careful to do nothing until they're not only dry to the touch, but "cured". It takes several hours for them to be fully dry all the way to the base coat.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I love the natural french manicure-look.

I buff my nails regularly, which increases blood flow and gives nail surface a pink, natural and shiny look. No need for nail enamel on top.

BUT my nail tips have a dull, grayish - and to some extent - transparent look. I have used whitening/bleaching products which is very helpful in removing yellowish stains etc from nails, but the nail tips don't get whiter.

For a night out it's fine to use a white nail pencil under nail tips, but it's gone after one or to hand washes.

Any suggestions on achieving long term white nail tips will be highly appreciated. Smile

What about using lemon juice; just a few minute soak should do it. I like to use the white nail pencil which is a lovely look. Its true you have to keep reapplying.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |