Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone done that spa treatment where fish eat your feet?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I’d never even heard of this before, but I was in Kuala Lumpur recently and had a couple of hours to kill and a so-called friend suggested I should visit a place called, I think, Fish Spa.

Well it was certainly rather strange. For those who don’t know what this “treatment” entails, you put your feet into a fishpond/pool type thing and the little critters are supposed to suck/eat the dead skin off your feet, although how they differentiate between dead and living is a mystery to me. In fact the fishies seemed to purposely avoid the areas I wanted “exfoliated” such as callouses and dry cuticles, preferring to munch on softer areas. Can’t say I blame them really...

Still, my feet were quite smooth afterwards, but I doubt I’d do this again. It did feel very, ummm, unusual... to say the least Laughing
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
appletini Shock

That is one of the strangest treatments I ever heard of. Tell me did it tickle? Just thinking of those little critters pecking away makes my feet tickle.

How much did they charge for such a treatment?

Thanks for sharing. Cool

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie - Can’t remember exactly what it cost, but I think less than US20, if I’ve got the exchange rate right

As for the ticklish thing... you are so right! There was a group of teenagers there squealing and giggling constantly, while I attempted to look cool, calm and collected, failing miserably as usual. I believe I also contributed to the squeals once or twice Laughing

Apparently you can also have a whole body submersion, where the fish "exfoliate" you all over. No way could I do that, plus I imagine you’d have to keep certain bits covered Laughing
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
YUCKO!...... Shock Bad Grin Rolling Eyes

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Moocheez
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I just got from Asia. This thing is very popular with the spas in China. I don't know how it works, I declined even though it came with the package. The second spa I went to, apparently people loved it so much they keep going back to the fish pool and the fish all suffered from indigestion or something and they started charging extra for it to limit usage. Confused
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
I’d never even heard of this before, but I was in Kuala Lumpur recently and had a couple of hours to kill and a so-called friend suggested I should visit a place called, I think, Fish Spa.

Well it was certainly rather strange. For those who don’t know what this “treatment” entails, you put your feet into a fishpond/pool type thing and the little critters are supposed to suck/eat the dead skin off your feet, although how they differentiate between dead and living is a mystery to me. In fact the fishies seemed to purposely avoid the areas I wanted “exfoliated” such as callouses and dry cuticles, preferring to munch on softer areas. Can’t say I blame them really...

Still, my feet were quite smooth afterwards, but I doubt I’d do this again. It did feel very, ummm, unusual... to say the least Laughing

That spa treatment was just featured on Tyra Banks talk show. I don't normally watch but was surfing around and saw that she was featuring different spa treatments that were popular in different cultures.
She said it originated in Turkey-I guess the guy who was supposed to bring over the fish was stuck at customs so they used "American fish." They stayed to the edges of the tank and never went near the girls' feet.

I've never done it but, I could handle the foot treatment. The all over body exfoliation?! No way, Jose. Just the thought of a fish skimmin' over a 'covered' area gives me the creeps.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
How WILD! Never had the spa version of it, but once when I was skinnydipping the fish got very curious about my tattoos and licked them or just touched them or something...it was a funny sensation to say the least!
LOL about the "American fish"!! Not a very adventurous breed!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
How WILD! LOL about the "American fish"!! Not a very adventurous breed!

That is really funny that they stayed on the other side of the tank.....Guess they just don't care for stinky feet.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
fawnie wrote:
How WILD! LOL about the "American fish"!! Not a very adventurous breed!

That is really funny that they stayed on the other side of the tank.....Guess they just don't care for stinky feet.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yah Tyra made the joke that American fish weren't accustomed to working.... "I ain't gonna peck no feet..." or something to that extent.

Smile
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:16 am      Reply with quote
I believe during the war injured prisoners of war treated their gangrenous and ulcerous wounds by having the fish nibble the bad parts off. I think it saved quite a few limbs.
Frankly, I would have to be that desperate before I resorted to being fish food! Eh?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Juliemarie:
Yeah and I'm not THAT old, but I remember a doctor bringing his "special maggots" into the hospital once to debride a wound!! We all freaked Shock
I'd take the fish treatment anyday, wouldn't you?!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
hmm interesting

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:29 am      Reply with quote
Laughing I never heard a spa doing this, but I remember as a kid when my parents took me to the beach and there was this small creek there also and my friend and I would play there.
The little fish would nibble on your feet or any part of your skin that was in the water.
It so weird but funny to us kids!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Y'all c'mon down to my "spa" (pond) for the Fish Therapy, y'hear?
Who knew it would be a much-sought-after treatment??? Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 am      Reply with quote
This sounds so crazy! I can't believe lil fishies eat dry skin/exfoliate your feet...I couldn't even imagine being a fish at this point...I mean yes it's kind of crazy that fishies are helping humans w/feet exfoliation, but also has anyone thought poor lil fishies? Or am I just being crazy?!? Yikes!
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:57 am      Reply with quote
gellys wrote:
This sounds so crazy! I can't believe lil fishies eat dry skin/exfoliate your feet...I couldn't even imagine being a fish at this point...I mean yes it's kind of crazy that fishies are helping humans w/feet exfoliation, but also has anyone thought poor lil fishies? Or am I just being crazy?!? Yikes!

After eating pond scum for months, your feet are probably quite the treat! Smile
solacemass

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:32 am      Reply with quote
yeah!!!maybe this new treatment can use in thailand^^ how do you people think?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Wow I've never heard of that. I think it would freak out my to have fishies nibbling on my feet.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'd be ready to laugh like a drain at this suggestion but then I did that the first time I there was a dermaroller thread here and since my roller turned up this morning, I'll bite my lip Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know of a place in Ontario, Canada that offers this service?
havana8

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
oh my! there are also fish spas with tanks large enough to immerse your whole body in! Shock

Malaysia "fish" spa
womenhttp://uk.reuters.com/article/airNews/idUKKLR22007720071114

Relax and let the nibbling begin!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070825.FISH25/TPStory/specialTravel

This one has a few pictures...
http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/fish-spa-feasts-on-your-flesh/offbeat-news
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:41 am      Reply with quote
I must be so sheltered, I can't believe what I just read!! Amazing! Shock
solacemass

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:27 am      Reply with quote
everyone will act like you, it can cure psoriasis. patient can buy it home a treat them self. i jz saw in youtube said about doctor fish cure psoriasis^^
Remy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Wow. I don't like the idea of being a snack.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:29 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
oh my! there are also fish spas with tanks large enough to immerse your whole body in! Shock

Malaysia "fish" spa
womenhttp://uk.reuters.com/article/airNews/idUKKLR22007720071114

Relax and let the nibbling begin!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070825.FISH25/TPStory/specialTravel

This one has a few pictures...
http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/fish-spa-feasts-on-your-flesh/offbeat-news

OMG I was reading the 2nd link and it says there are spas in Japan that offer facials using bull semen and nightingale droppings. And I thought the fish spa was weird.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |